2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (drumour, Foxtrot3, johnesp, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 7 invisible), 1,221 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
*I'm* impressed...

One thing to keep in mind about "bangy" is the limitations of this particular piano, featured in the OP's link. Something that I learned over in the Tuner/Tech forum is that it is very easy to "overdrive" a small piano (which this Rameau is--small, and out of tune, exposed to the elements as it is.)

*IF* you come at it from a more imaginative perspective, in a way that is ready to appreciate rather than denigrate, and picture it with your mind's eyes and ears played on a well-tuned concert or conservatory grand, you might get a different picture. Play "what if" for a minute.

Even without using my imagination, though, I like what this man is doing. He's playing! I hear a lot of things in and through his music that, imho, are quite wonderful!

Last edited by Cinnamonbear; 12/14/13 03:23 PM.

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Cinnamonbear
....*IF* you come at it from a more imaginative perspective, in a way that is ready to appreciate rather than denigrate, and picture it with your mind's eyes and ears played on a well-tuned concert or conservatory grand, you might get a different picture....

What makes you think I didn't try to do that? grin
(I did. Pretty hard too. I tried to give him every benefit of the doubt.)

Even without using my imagination, though, I like what this man is doing.

As I said, I do too.
In a generic sense. ha

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by jazzyprof
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
All I can say is, if this impresses you, you're pretty easy to impress.

OK, let's hear your compositions.

If you're actually interested, which I doubt, they can be found on this site. And...

Originally Posted by JoelW
Something that most people don't get is that the "let's see you do better" fallacy goes both ways. This fallacy is based on the notion that one must possess equal credentials or skill in order to judge something. Well guess what -- judgements aren't just negative. You can judge something negatively or positively. By that fallacy's logic you would need to be a chef to even claim that a meal is good. Of course, nobody ever says "let's see how well you cook" with regards to a positive judgement. No, only defensive people whip this fallacy out when they feel threatened.

Well said.

If I had a dollar for every time someone has tried to use this fallacy on me, I would not be a musician. grin

Regards,

Polyphonist
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Originally Posted by Nikolas
YAY... Some more negativity on board!

And here comes a little more. grin

Sure, I applaud the idea of stuff like this, and I applaud him (although I have no idea what K finds "interesting" about his playing) [Linked Image] ....but I have a hard time getting very far with him because of how awful the playing is on the fast/loud stuff. To me it's basically unlistenable (although I did listen, to give him a chance). It's brusque, bangy, without any significant dynamic variation or any rhythmic flair or interest, no phrasing to speak of -- he plays basically like some people who get into the amateur competitions, get big applause from some of the audience, and don't advance past the 1st round -- and really compositionally I don't find it much at all either. Although maybe if he played it more listenably I'd hear more in it. And maybe he can play better than that but is just doing a caricatured thing because of the setting where he's playing.

But sure, I applaud the idea of stuff like this. Beyond that, I don't know. smile

I think everyone seems to be confusing compositional skill and performance skill. Yes he does have an exaggerated bangy way of playing, but that doesn't reduce the melody, structure and overall idea of the piece in any way. I can sit down and bang out Chopin's op.9 no.2 Nocturne, that doesn't mean it's a crappy composition.

I'm looking beyond his performance. To hear music that doesn't sound like a movie soundtrack is refreshing. Lets take his compositions for what they are and imagine them playing in a more controlled and subtle way.

"A Sorceror of tonality; the piano is my cauldron and the music is my spell, let those who cannot hear my calling die and burn in He11."

Check my videos @:
http://www.youtube.com/user/chopinlives81
Originally Posted by ChopinLives81
I think everyone seems to be confusing compositional skill and performance skill....
I'm looking beyond his performance....Lets take his compositions for what they are and imagine them playing in a more controlled and subtle way.

You missed where I talked about that too. (It's in what you quoted.)

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
No I saw it, that's why I started with "Everyone seems" It was more to emphasize my thoughts and yours.

"A Sorceror of tonality; the piano is my cauldron and the music is my spell, let those who cannot hear my calling die and burn in He11."

Check my videos @:
Oh OK -- I thought I was part of "everyone." grin

But besides, most people are being very POSITIVE about both his playing and his composition! (So, it looked like you were talking to those few of us who aren't.)

Of course, nobody ever says "let's see how well you cook" with regards to a positive judgement. No, only defensive people whip this fallacy out when they feel threatened.
Because being nice to someone(saying something positive) vs. being nasty(many of the criticisms are in this category) are very different kinds of critiques. It's not only about whether the comment is positive or negative but about how it's phrased. When a negative comment is not phrased in a mean or arrogant tone, it rarely gets a comments about "let's see you do better than the person you're criticizing".

It's the same idea that some master class givers can give a lot of criticism but not be perceived as being mean or pedagogically inappropriate.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Of course, nobody ever says "let's see how well you cook" with regards to a positive judgement. No, only defensive people whip this fallacy out when they feel threatened.
Because being nice to someone(saying something positive) vs. being nasty(many of the criticisms are in this category) are very different kinds of critiques. It's not only about whether the comment is positive or negative but about how it's phrased. When a negative comment is not phrased in a mean or arrogant tone, it rarely gets a comments about "let's see you do better than the person you're criticizing".

Graham's Hierarchy of Disagreement

Regards,

Polyphonist

Has nothing to do with my post. One can refute the central point(highest on the hierarchy) and still do it in an arrogant or mean way.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 12/14/13 05:56 PM.
Any chance we could stay on topic and talk about Villa-Massone?

Please? laugh

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kreisler

Please? laugh

Let me know if they do, in the meantime I'll post something about John Tesh, maybe that will do better...

Check my videos @:
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Please? laugh

Speaking of Villa-Massone, here is Valentina Lisitsa playing on his piano!

"Playing the piano is my greatest joy...period."......JP
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
My opinion: Lots of notes.
I like some of the harmonic developments.
And I guess you have to be in good physical condition to play these pieces.

About the playing: The composer posted a comment below the second video.
Originally Posted by STEVE VILLA-MASSONE
The noisy environment, the fact that I play in streets should be considered. It's also a logical thing, when I play on any concert hall, on a good piano for exemple, I have a different approach of my own compositions, I put more attenuations... and it is also normal. But trust me, on the street, in some particular noisy areas, you have to play in a different way. And fortunatly, most of passers are focusing on my own music, and not on my gestures.

So I guess: If you like his music, you like his music. Nothing wrong with it, I guess.

My grand piano is a Yamaha C2 SG.
My other Yamaha is an XMAX 300.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

"Playing the piano is my greatest joy...period."......JP
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P

Has nothing to do with my post. One can refute the central point(highest on the hierarchy) and still do it in an arrogant or mean way.

It has everything to do with your post. Case in point.

Regards,

Polyphonist
Originally Posted by patH
....About the playing: The composer posted a comment below the second video.
Originally Posted by STEVE VILLA-MASSONE
The noisy environment, the fact that I play in streets should be considered. It's also a logical thing, when I play on any concert hall, on a good piano for exemple, I have a different approach of my own compositions, I put more attenuations... and it is also normal. But trust me, on the street, in some particular noisy areas, you have to play in a different way...

Well, there we go. smile
Good to see!
I'd like to see how he might play these things in a different environment!

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014
2000 Post Club Member
Extraordinary! Thank you for posting.

Bob W.
Piano Technician (Retired since 2006)
Conway, Arkansas
www.pianotechno.blogspot.com
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
What's extraordinary about it?

Regards,

Polyphonist
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by jazzyprof

Please? laugh

Speaking of Villa-Massone, here is Valentina Lisitsa playing on his piano!

Valentina's looking like a genius next to this guy. grin

And I think that piano was last tuned by Charlemagne.

Regards,

Polyphonist
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission