Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2198513 - 12/16/13 12:36 PM A few Beginner Questions
cncwhiz1 Offline

Loc: Central AL, USA
Hey folks, new to the forum.

I was searching for an online resource to ask a few questions and found this. I've been playing guitar for about fifteen years, but I never learned to read music. I play mostly by ear and reading tabs. I did play snare drum in jr high school band, so I do have a taste of reading music, but not near what I need to know.

So I decided I really wanted to get into playing piano. It is something I have always wanted to learn, but I haven't taken the plunge until now. Research told me I needed the following to learn correctly: Weighted keys, touch sensitivity, and 88 keys. I knew I would be loooking at mainly digital pianos, and that I did not have room for a full on acoustic. I decided to buy one with these features, so I would not be so far in if I decided it wasn't for me.

I picked up a used Casio CDP-120 from Guitar Center. I got it for $229, and added a one year protection plan on it for another $25. I figured this was a good deal since it is used. Everything works fine and it has been fun to play around on for a few days. Looking forward to learning all that I can.

I have a few questions. Since I am new to reading music in the depth that is is written for piano, I am struggling with a few things. First of all, I have all the basics down. I know where all the notes are on the staffs (treble and bass.) The main problem I am having is reading them both at once. When I get further along into this and really start reading music, I am thinking I might see something written a certain way. For example, when I am playing and reading a certain note or chord (triad for instance) in the treble staff, will the notes or chords in the bass cleff be predictable? In other words, is it common to see certain notes paired together on the treble and bass staffs?

I want to do some exercises every day to improve my finger/key relationships. Are there any good youtube videos or other free resources on this?

Also, I want to do some sort of software and learning material. I will not be taking lessons. I feel like I can learn it on my own, but I want a good resource to help me. I saw here where someone mentioned EMedia software. That looks like a a great deal because it actually has something that grades your progress. I assume this would be a good one, but are there any others to consider?

Thanks so much.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2198555 - 12/16/13 02:10 PM Re: A few Beginner Questions [Re: cncwhiz1]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: SoCal
Quote:
For example, when I am playing and reading a certain note or chord (triad for instance) in the treble staff, will the notes or chords in the bass cleff be predictable? In other words, is it common to see certain notes paired together on the treble and bass staffs?

Yes, you'll eventually start to recognize patterns and how they relate to hand shapes. It takes time. As for reading both staffs at once, well, it just takes work. Sight reading is a skill.

#2198613 - 12/16/13 03:47 PM Re: A few Beginner Questions [Re: cncwhiz1]
earlofmar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
welcome to the forum cncwhiz1, to answer your first question, no there is no predictable pattern when reading the bass and treble lines. Sight reading is a skill that develops with your piano playing ability albeit at a grade or so behind. Be prepared for a long haul if sight reading is your goal, improvement is slow despite the need for diligent practice.

I use The Sight Reading Factory program which you can test for free. I have found this program very useful to help my sight reading and rhythm.

As to learning material you need to choose what sort of direction you want to go in, classical or other. Have a look at Piano Marvel and see what you think, read some reviews. This is an interactive program ideal for a digital piano.

If at all possible re-consider your stance of having a teacher. The best thing you can do is have your very own guide through this important time in your musical development

#2198619 - 12/16/13 03:54 PM Re: A few Beginner Questions [Re: cncwhiz1]
newbert Online   content

Loc: Upstate New York, USA
Originally Posted By: cncwhiz1
....Also, I want to do some sort of software and learning material. I will not be taking lessons. I feel like I can learn it on my own, but I want a good resource to help me. I saw here where someone mentioned EMedia software. That looks like a a great deal because it actually has something that grades your progress. I assume this would be a good one, but are there any others to consider?

Thanks so much.

I just purchased eMedia's Intermediate course (based on what I read in a thread here), but have not really started yet. So, I can't offer an opinion on that.

However, there are many good videos on Youtube (and many not-so-good, as well). I like Bill Hilton's videos but I'm not sure how applicable they are to someone at your level. But there are plenty of others.

#2198646 - 12/16/13 04:16 PM Re: A few Beginner Questions [Re: cncwhiz1]
earlofmar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
If you can get over this crazy guys antics this is one of the best free teaching sites Furmanczyk Piano

#2198659 - 12/16/13 04:29 PM Re: A few Beginner Questions [Re: cncwhiz1]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
You might try this book of reading exercises . I think it works well for a beginner... it gets progressively harder, and it is 98 pages (one of its main attractions). Once you are comfortable with these you will be ready for a little more movement of the hands.

ooops, edited to say sorry, was really meant for the other thread asking about sight reading.

Edited by JimF (12/16/13 04:39 PM)

Estonia L190 #7284

#2198731 - 12/16/13 06:03 PM Re: A few Beginner Questions [Re: earlofmar]
cncwhiz1 Offline

Loc: Central AL, USA
Originally Posted By: earlofmar
If you can get over this crazy guys antics this is one of the best free teaching sites Furmanczyk Piano

I am watching his vids on Youtube now. I have watched several vids from different authors, and I am comparing them all. He seems really smart. I will pay attention and see what I can gain. Thanks!

Edited by cncwhiz1 (12/16/13 06:04 PM)

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
WHy the topic about moderator's ban is closed ?
by Olek
10 minutes 58 seconds ago
Piano Rankings
by phantomFive
53 minutes 35 seconds ago
Casinitaly... No use...
by alfredo capurso
Today at 05:49 PM
What Piece Is This?
by Works1
Today at 03:43 PM
Suites Georg Böhm
by Johan B
Today at 03:40 PM
Who's Online
123 registered (A Guy, AndreiN, accordeur, 41 invisible), 1231 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76643 Members
42 Forums
158477 Topics
2327362 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission