Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#2199798 - 12/18/13 04:26 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: JoelW]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: JoelW
It's been over 4 hours since the last installment.

Good point. There's another coming up shortly.

Polyphonist

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2199800 - 12/18/13 04:31 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Fifth installment!

Mazurka in C minor, Opus 30 No 1
Played by gutenberg
https://app.box.com/s/llhwwldyuqyuspu7u2p4

Mazurka in B minor, Opus 30 No 2
Played by JoelW

Mazurka in Db major, Opus 30 No 3
Played by BruceD
https://app.box.com/s/cck28z3olvoqeqs8203m

Mazurka in C# minor, Opus 30 No 4
Played by jeffreyjones
https://app.box.com/s/0wgi75syipdjy5h9o5tx

Enjoy! smile

Polyphonist

#2199836 - 12/18/13 06:49 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
It just seems you guys flow with this stuff so well. I`ve never really connected wi Chopin; so much seems depressive. But not all - as I`m finding out.

Sandalhole Such a pleasant piece, as so much o` this stuff is. You`d imagine there were no wars or problems in the 19thC . . . I guess there wasn`t for the Drawing Room Fraternity. And we`re all thankful for the music. Darned good job! A clean sounding piano you have there.

Brad Hoene Lovely! Lovely! Can say nuthin` else. Not qualified . . .

Cinnamonbear Two pieces. Both beautiful sounding. The second was a lively affair; loved it. I guess Chopin had his lighter moments!

Edited by peterws (12/18/13 06:49 PM)

""

#2199846 - 12/18/13 07:21 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

17 1 jeffreyjones Schoolroom Grand here. Big hall; you know what you`re doing. Super dynamics here. Bechstein? Heavy sounding, powerful instrument!

17 2 Dipsy So musical; this reflects Chopin`s moods imo insofar as I can imagine him and know his feelings in the music you`ve played. Well done you!

17 3 jeffreyjones I can hear the headteacher (or the pianist) walking into the school hall; an impressive place. I`m standing outside the classroom for being naughty; I tries ever so hard to appeas invisible . . . I was 5 at the time lol! An energetic piece which I greatly enjoyed.

17 4 Valencia An awkward piece handled well. Changes direction half way through, reverting back to the former state after that; you did a fine job conveying the moods of thye composer here.

Great selection of the results of many people`s endeavours . . .! smile

""

#2199847 - 12/18/13 07:34 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: carey]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

"So instead, I simply recorded my pieces over and over and over again last week until I came up with a take that had no more than two obvious flubbed notes and an "interpretation" I could live with "

"Amen" to that . . . ! But I "adapt" the music when necessary . . . grin

""

#2199850 - 12/18/13 08:01 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: peterws]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted By: peterws
"So instead, I simply recorded my pieces over and over and over again last week until I came up with a take that had no more than two obvious flubbed notes and an "interpretation" I could live with "

"Amen" to that . . . ! But I "adapt" the music when necessary . . . grin

Yes - sometimes "adaptations" are definitely required....... crazy

#2199881 - 12/18/13 09:35 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
dynamobt Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NH
I've just spent a lovely evening listening from start to this point. I'm not going to comment individually. Rather, I just listened and enjoyed an evening of Chopin. I'm familiar with many of these Mazurkas. I listen to Horowitz, Pollini, and Argerich play them. Some fabulous playing on this forum. And some good pianos too. This has been time well spent. It's been a joy to listen to all of you.

#2199889 - 12/18/13 09:57 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Valencia]
hreichgott Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: western MA, USA
Originally Posted By: Valencia

Are fioritura the groups of little notes? So difficult to get them sounding light and improvised. The other most difficult part of this piece was the part in the middle (Page 3...can't recall bar numbers atm) where there are a total of eight measures featuring a couple of grace notes and then repeated Ds in the RH. That was by far the most difficult part of the piece for me to be able to play, despite how simplistic it looks in the score.

With Chopin nothing simple is easy laugh

These groups of tiny notes are fioritura
Totally loving Fauré/Barcarolles and Ravel/Tombeau de Couperin
I love Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven and new music

#2199898 - 12/18/13 10:31 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: peterws]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
17 1 jeffreyjones Schoolroom Grand here. Big hall; you know what you`re doing. Super dynamics here. Bechstein? Heavy sounding, powerful instrument!

I recorded all my Mazurkas on a restored 9' Chickering that belongs to my church. Vintage body and action, modern strings. I love playing on 'powerful' instruments like that, because they feel more organic - like each key is activated by muscle and joint rather than a pin and lever. I don't feel the same connection on modern Steinways.

#2199912 - 12/18/13 11:08 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

JoelW - I'm glad you got over your apprehension about your interpretation of Op. 30/2 and recorded it for us. It's a lot of fun to listen to. Most of us, myself included, were pretty straight-laced and I like hearing a bit of drama.

#2199929 - 12/18/13 11:53 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: jeffreyjones]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jeffreyjones
JoelW - I'm glad you got over your apprehension about your interpretation of Op. 30/2 and recorded it for us. It's a lot of fun to listen to. Most of us, myself included, were pretty straight-laced and I like hearing a bit of drama.

I enjoyed the interpretation as well !!!!! Glad you decided to participate Joel !! thumb

#2199931 - 12/18/13 11:59 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: jeffreyjones]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jeffreyjones

I recorded all my Mazurkas on a restored 9' Chickering that belongs to my church. Vintage body and action, modern strings. I love playing on 'powerful' instruments like that, because they feel more organic - like each key is activated by muscle and joint rather than a pin and lever. I don't feel the same connection on modern Steinways.

Gotta agree with you about the modern Steinways.....they just don't have "IT."

I've enjoyed your Mazurka recordings thus far and am impressed by your seemingly effortless ability to navigate through some fairly complex ornamentation !! In fact the pieces you selected were among the most challenging of the the 57 !! Very impressive following so closely on the heels of your recent Mozart concerto performance.

#2199977 - 12/19/13 03:24 AM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Norway
More or less accidentally I noticed that Rubinstein’s recording of Op 7.1 was replaced. Therefore I start today’s comments with this mazurka.

Op.7 no 1 performed by sandalholme:
Very fine interpretation! I really liked the flexibility in tempo. Moreover the balance between the melody line and the accompanying voices was excellent.

Op.24 no 1 performed by musica71:
Another example of rhythmic freedom that really suits this music. I also really enjoyed the changing moods of this piece. Beautiful playing!

Op.24 no 2 performed by peterws: Very fun piece to listen to. You manage to express the special character of the piece in a way that I believe was Chopin’s intention. Tempo and dynamics are fine.

Op.23 no 3 performed by timmyab: Short, but charming! You gave a very fine sound to this mazurka. I also enjoyed your rhythmic flexibility. Well done!

Op.24 no 4 performed by Derulux: Nice dynamics. Fine contrasts. Generally very fine playing, but I enjoyed the coda most of all.

Op.30 no 1 performed by Gutenberg: You bring out the beautiful melodic line very well. This is another example of a Chopin piece with rapidly changing moods. Very nice to listen to!

Op.30 no 2 performed by JoelW: Another example of a piece where tempo variations are essential. I think your interpretation was very good. You also managed to make the part with the repeated short motive to sound interesting. Good job!

Op.30 no 3 performed by BruceD: This is one of the few early Mazurkas I have heard performed several times before. I think you selected a very good tempo (having heard too many cases when it was played too fast) and played with energy. Also dynamics were very good.

Op.30 no 4 performed by jeffreyjones: This must be one of the most technically difficult mazurkas. Also musically challenging, I think. Very elegant performance! It must have taken a lot of effort to learn playing this piece at your level. I’m impressed.

#2199981 - 12/19/13 03:40 AM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Originally Posted By: Ganddalf
Op.24 no 4 performed by Derulux: Nice dynamics. Fine contrasts. Generally very fine playing, but I enjoyed the coda most of all.

Thank you very much for the compliments! smile

One of my favorite moments in this mazurka is the final two measures. The change is so drastic from the rest of the piece, and really, that very small line must be kept in mind right from the beginning -- and especially during the coda -- or it makes no sense when you finally get to it. When I first learned the piece, I hated it. Those two measures saved the whole thing, and over time, I've come to like it very much.

#2200039 - 12/19/13 07:55 AM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Sixth installment is here.

Mazurka in G# minor, Opus 33 No 1
Performed by Rupak Bhattacharya
[/quote]

Mazurka in D major, Opus 33 No 2
Performed by carey

Mazurka in C major, Opus 33 No 3
Performed by Beric

Mazurka in B minor, Opus 33 No 4
Performed by Tim Adrianson
https://app.box.com/s/n2jt2n3s6w7q0xco8ny5

Happy listening! smile

Polyphonist

#2200044 - 12/19/13 08:07 AM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Wow, the Op. 33 set is amazing. Rupak, your G# minor is especially moving. I really loved it. And Tim, you know that Chopin considered the B minor to be a Ballade, even though he didn't name it as such? You did a brilliant job bringing out the narrative elements.

Originally Posted By: carey
I've enjoyed your Mazurka recordings thus far and am impressed by your seemingly effortless ability to navigate through some fairly complex ornamentation !! In fact the pieces you selected were among the most challenging of the the 57 !! Very impressive following so closely on the heels of your recent Mozart concerto performance.

I've recorded the Op. 17 and 59 sets before, so those have benefitted from a bit of aging and refinement. Op. 30/4 was new to me, and it's not for the faint of heart. It's a real virtuoso piece, with lots of big chords, inner voices, and difficult ornamentation, and it caused me a lot of grief!

#2200056 - 12/19/13 08:43 AM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Gutenberg, nice job.
Joel W, I loved what you did with tempo. Thank you for sharing.
Bruce, loved your interpretation. You captivated me from the beginning to the end.
Jeffrey, bravo! I cannot get enough of your recording.
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

#2200064 - 12/19/13 09:06 AM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
FarmGirl Offline

Op 33 section.
Rupack, very refined performance. Loved your interpretstion, dynamics and sensitive application of rubato. Bravo!
Carey, that was a captivating performsnce. What a competent left hand. Impressed with what you did with phrasing and nuances with the speed.
Tim, an excellent rendition of this very challenging piece. It must have taken a while to put together do many different pieces musically coherently and beautifully as you did. Thank you for sharing.
Beric, it was very musical. I felt your love for Chopin's music.
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

#2200081 - 12/19/13 09:47 AM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: FarmGirl]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: FarmGirl
Op 33 section.
Rupack, very refined performance. Loved your interpretstion, dynamics and sensitive application of rubato. Bravo!
Carey, that was a captivating performsnce. What a competent left hand. Impressed with what you did with phrasing and nuances with the speed.
Tim, an excellent rendition of this very challenging piece. It must have taken a while to put together do many different pieces musically coherently and beautifully as you did. Thank you for sharing.
Beric, it was very musical. I felt your love for Chopin's music.

Ditto to Farm Girl's comments regarding the performances of Rupack, Beric and Tim. Wonderful playing !!!!!! thumb

As for the #2, the LH is the least of the challenges with this one. I found the RH to be awkward throughout, and the accelerated 15 final measures difficult to play accurately and evenly while holding the sustained notes in the upper voice. Gave me fits !! ha

#2200111 - 12/19/13 10:58 AM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: FarmGirl]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
Originally Posted By: FarmGirl
Originally Posted By: Roland The Beagle
Wohoo, this is a lot of fun!

Would anyone be willing to PM me a quick guide on how to make a movie with sheet music?

Can anyone make it a thread? I would like to know how to do it too.

I created a thread in the Pianist Corner about making movies with sheet music (actually a slideshow with music).

Sam

#2200116 - 12/19/13 11:18 AM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
FarmGirl Offline

Carey, since you are my real life friend too, I listened your again with the score (hahaha). Also I know you are / were pro, I listened to the recording of professionals with Spotify out of respect to you. Yep some friend I am.

With the rigorous right hand, I know what you mean. It's relentless with Vivace. I still like what you did with your left hand from measure 52 through 64 (sorry if its off a little my cheap version of mazurka book does not have measure numbers). You handled the crazy accelerations in the end expertly and I loved the ending. Horowitz played it slower than you but his dynamic change was awesome. I listened two other lessor known pianists too. They played much faster than Horowitz but none showed such dynamic contrast as Horowitz who played pp as pp and f / ff as marked in my score. I am not sure how correct those dynamic marks are on my score. But it was very suited to his overall interpretation. As for the speed i actually like your and other pianists I heard on the spotify. I know it's a dream but I would love to play like you some day. Yours stack very well among those recordings. Can't wait to hear this piece again. ( I mean to hear LIVE in the piano party or club!)

Edited by FarmGirl (12/19/13 11:27 AM)

#2200121 - 12/19/13 11:24 AM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
Brad Hoehne Offline

Loc: Ohio
Even though all the performances in this recital haven't been posted yet, I'm already eagerly anticipating the next one.

What will it be? The Nocturnes, waltzes, preludes? (I'd like to see the nocturnes, since I have one picked out already.)

Currently working on:
Rach. Prelude Op 32 #12
Mozart Piano Sonata #17, K570
Villa-Lobos, Bachianas Brasileiras #4
Playing by ear and "filling out" pop tunes

#2200125 - 12/19/13 11:33 AM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
FarmGirl Offline

My vote for next e-cital as well. Chopin Nocturne or waltz whatever. Rach preludes, moments musical etc are good too. But I need at least 3 months to prepare a new one.

#2200128 - 12/19/13 11:42 AM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Brad Hoehne]
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
Originally Posted By: Brad Hoehne
[...](I'd like to see the nocturnes, since I have one picked out already.)

Better not be the one I've picked!!

#2200135 - 12/19/13 11:50 AM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: BruceD]
Brad Hoehne Offline

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By: BruceD

Op 32 #1?

(Dibs?) :-)

Edited by Brad Hoehne (12/19/13 03:26 PM)

Currently working on:
Rach. Prelude Op 32 #12
Mozart Piano Sonata #17, K570
Villa-Lobos, Bachianas Brasileiras #4
Playing by ear and "filling out" pop tunes

#2200137 - 12/19/13 11:52 AM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
musica71 Online   content

Loc: Bend, Or.
This set was wonderful, Carey I played the 33 no.2 years ago and had a devil of a time figuring out fingering for the RH ornaments. It is NOT an easy piece! Tim..as always totally in charge. Great playing of all!

#2200172 - 12/19/13 01:12 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Brad Hoehne]
BruceD Offline

Op 32 #1?

Nope! Op 48 No 2 in F-sharp minor.

Click to reveal..
Just for the record, if we do record the Nocturnes, does this mean I have first call on 48/2?

Regards,

#2200180 - 12/19/13 01:24 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Ganddalf]
BruceD Offline

[...]Op.30 no 3 performed by BruceD: This is one of the few early Mazurkas I have heard performed several times before. I think you selected a very good tempo (having heard too many cases when it was played too fast) and played with energy. Also dynamics were very good.
[...]

I've always felt that this Mazurka carries a certain nobility with it, particularly in the "A" section. That determined the tempo I used.

Thank you.

Regards,

#2200188 - 12/19/13 01:44 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: musica71]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: musica71
Carey I played the 33 no.2 years ago and had a devil of a time figuring out fingering for the RH ornaments. It is NOT an easy piece!

ha I had a heck of a time with that too. Kept going back and forth - and even changed the RH fingering as I was recording !! Ultimately used 4-5-4, as opposed to the 3-5-4 fingering that some editions suggest. Fortunately that did the trick.

#2200189 - 12/19/13 01:45 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: BruceD]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

[...]Op.30 no 3 performed by BruceD: This is one of the few early Mazurkas I have heard performed several times before. I think you selected a very good tempo (having heard too many cases when it was played too fast) and played with energy. Also dynamics were very good.
[...]

I've always felt that this Mazurka carries a certain nobility with it, particularly in the "A" section. That determined the tempo I used.

And your performance conveyed that nobility quite effectively !!

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
142 registered (aesop, *windowlicker*, accordeur, 36251, ajames, 41 invisible), 1409 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75897 Members
42 Forums
156845 Topics
2304619 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Hello to Everyone and to PianoStudent88
by Gene Williams
12 minutes 45 seconds ago
Is this Piano Purchase Tax deductible?
by master88er
23 minutes 37 seconds ago
Some tuning clients are just so...
by Eric Gloo
42 minutes 15 seconds ago
Brands of soundboard
by PhilipInChina
Today at 06:23 PM
Ear training - what is it?
by Scordatura
Today at 05:05 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission