Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#2200215 - 12/19/13 02:31 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
24 1 Musica71 How relaxed you are! A very contemplative tune; must be great playin` this on your piano. Sounds real good from the other side of the computer . . .

24 3 Timmyab Clean precise and easy on the ear with and excellent recording. You make it look easy . .

24 4 Derulux Sounds like Waltz Brilliant . .super dynamics; you capture the mood of the music.

30 1 Gutenbeg Such a lot o` Chopin seems meditative; your piano sang on this one. Lovely.

30 2 JoelW One strident piano ringing out on this most flamboyant piece. Made for it, and you by the sounds o` things!

30 3 BruceD You`ve put muscle into music. With plenty o` light and shade. I`m learning stuff here tonight. Like how a recording should sound . .

30 4 Jeffrey Jones Love the "wet" reverb! You gave that poor instrument (that has done you no harm) a good pounding . . .Well enjoy this and all your work! Wish I could get my hands on a digital version of your piano . . .

Lovely stuff guys. I can see I need to work harder . . .record better!

Edited by peterws (12/19/13 02:36 PM)

""

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2200221 - 12/19/13 02:40 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: jeffreyjones]
Tim Adrianson Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi, Jeffrey -- thanks for the kind words. No, I wasn't aware that Chopin perceived this as a ballade - however, it was clear to me that in this Mazurka, Chopin was getting more poetically ambitious, so to speak -- much as he did in the Op 27/1 Nocturne, which is virtually a "mini-opera" or the B maj Nocturne, with its jarring, abrupt conclusion. In 33-4, Chopin ingeniously uses the bass to provide a disquieting layer of psychological complexity, so that it is clearly not "just" a dance. I would say that this is also evident in 30-4, which IMO also has a dark edge to it.

#2200230 - 12/19/13 02:51 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: carey]
Tim Adrianson Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi, Carey! Well, I'm not surprised it gave you fits, but your performance was for me an especially satisfying one -- straightforward, joyful, energetic, clear as a bell, and rhythmically solid. I find this Mazurka quite different from other pieces that Chopin was writing at this time -- bubbly and effervescent, without dark, disquieting overtones. It's kind of a throwback to the earlier Mazurkas, and in context provides a wonderful contrast to the other pieces in the Opus.

#2200232 - 12/19/13 02:55 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Brad Hoehne]
Polyphonist Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: Brad Hoehne
Even though all the performances in this recital haven't been posted yet, I'm already eagerly anticipating the next one.

What will it be? The Nocturnes, waltzes, preludes? (I'd like to see the nocturnes, since I have one picked out already.)

I believe Joel is running a nocturne recital starting next week.

Polyphonist

#2200238 - 12/19/13 03:01 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
6000 Post Club Member

Seventh installment is here! smile

Mazurka in E minor, Opus 41 No 1
Performed by Kreisler

Mazurka in B major, Opus 41 No 2
Performed by Tim Adrianson
https://app.box.com/s/ozld7mv5th1opk8wye33

Mazurka in Ab major, Opus 41 No 3
Performed by dire tonic
Constructive criticism invited!

Mazurka in C# minor, Opus 41 No 4
Performed by Tim Adrianson
https://app.box.com/s/th6xfhi9nxfv1u511b5o

Enjoy! smile

Polyphonist

#2200239 - 12/19/13 03:04 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Originally Posted By: Polyphonist
Even though all the performances in this recital haven't been posted yet, I'm already eagerly anticipating the next one.

What will it be? The Nocturnes, waltzes, preludes? (I'd like to see the nocturnes, since I have one picked out already.)

My pick is 27 no 2 - my assigned piece for next year
Pieces at work - Schubert Sonata D960 2nd mvmnt Andante sostenute, Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1, Haru No Umi-the Sea In Spring (Michio Miyagi) for Flute & Piano (Nov Diversity Fair at work)

#2200248 - 12/19/13 03:14 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Yes. I will be hosting the Chopin nocturnes starting Sunday the 22nd. Use this time to think about your nocturne for a quick pick!

#2200257 - 12/19/13 03:23 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: JoelW]
dynamobt Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NH
Originally Posted By: JoelW

Yes. I will be hosting the Chopin nocturnes starting Sunday the 22nd. Use this time to think about your nocturne for a quick pick!

Oh boy!! I have a few I can play already. But, one in particular I would like to record for this recital!!!

#2200261 - 12/19/13 03:33 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Love the Op 41 pieces too. This is such a treat. I have NEVER listened to so many mazurka in my life and in such excellent performance.

Kreisler - Bravo! unarguably excellent performance. I'm impressed with everything including your posture. I was also impressed how young you are. I somehow pictured much older person.

Tim - I loved both pieces. You must be a concert pianist. I don't know which one I like better. First one you pulled out sheer beauty of the piece. I think Mr. Chopin is proud of you. The second piece had a beauty that stirred my emotion.

Dire Tonic - you played it very musically. Is this piano acoustic? Sounded much fuller. You asked for technical advice but I will leave it to more qualified people here
Pieces at work - Schubert Sonata D960 2nd mvmnt Andante sostenute, Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1, Haru No Umi-the Sea In Spring (Michio Miyagi) for Flute & Piano (Nov Diversity Fair at work)

#2200267 - 12/19/13 03:45 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
The Opus 41 Mazurkas are all so convincingly played; they were a treat to listen to.

Thanks, Kreisler, Tim, and dire tonic (no criticism to offer, dc; I just completely enjoyed it.)

Regards,

#2200268 - 12/19/13 03:46 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: JoelW]
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
[...]

Will you be starting a sign-up thread soon? We'll need time, not only to think but to prepare.

Thanks.

Regards,

#2200287 - 12/19/13 04:27 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: JoelW]
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Norway

I guess there are many pianists who want to participate. And Chopin didn't write so many nocturnes. Is the intention to allow more performances of the same piece? What about including nocturnes by other composers like Field and Faure? There is one Faure nocturne I consider studying myself.....

#2200289 - 12/19/13 04:32 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: BruceD]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BruceD
[...]

Will you be starting a sign-up thread soon? We'll need time, not only to think but to prepare.

Thanks.

Regards,

I'm guessing you mean like the mazurka sign-up? Yes, that will be this Sunday. Like the mazurka recital, there will be a 3 month preparation time as well. The nocturnes are larger than the mazurkas so if the majority needs more time I will add more time.

Edited by JoelW (12/19/13 04:40 PM)
Edit Reason: 3 months, not 2

#2200291 - 12/19/13 04:34 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
6000 Post Club Member

And the mazurkas were 3 months, not 2 months.

Polyphonist

#2200292 - 12/19/13 04:36 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Ganddalf]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Ganddalf

I guess there are many pianists who want to participate. And Chopin didn't write so many nocturnes. Is the intention to allow more performances of the same piece? What about including nocturnes by other composers like Field and Faure? There is one Faure nocturne I consider studying myself.....

This is another all-Chopin recital. And no, there won't be multiple performances per piece. The goal is to post by opus, in a similar fashion to the mazurka recital. Since there are fewer spots, I would advise you make up your mind before I post the signup on Sunday. If you decide now, you will have a much better chance of placing a spot, especially if there is a specific nocturne you want to play.

#2200295 - 12/19/13 04:43 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
6000 Post Club Member

There are 19 to 21 nocturnes, depending on how you count. I'm wondering if that's enough for a themed recital - they usually contain far more works; for example, the three most recent - Mendelssohn Songs without Words, Grieg Lyric Pieces, Chopin Mazurkas - contained 48, 66, and 57 pieces respectively.

Polyphonist

#2200300 - 12/19/13 04:48 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I don't see concise as a bad thing, but I understand that many members who would want to participate would be missing out. New idea -- nocturnes and waltzes. That's about 45 pieces, and it provides a nice variety.

Edited by JoelW (12/19/13 04:52 PM)

#2200304 - 12/19/13 04:53 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
6000 Post Club Member

Here's a novel idea: How about doing the nocturnes plus the large works? Sonatas, Ballades, Scherzi, Barcarolle, Fantasy, Polonaises and the like. Or perhaps the Etudes; that would be interesting.

Polyphonist

#2200310 - 12/19/13 04:55 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I feel like that would take way too much preparation time. If a mazurka recital warrants 3 months, that kind of recital would require about 20 years. grin

I like the idea of a nocturne/waltz recital.

#2200312 - 12/19/13 04:59 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: JoelW]
6000 Post Club Member

I feel like that would take way too much preparation time. If a mazurka recital warrants 3 months, that kind of recital would require about 20 years. grin

Perhaps true. grin

Why not do the etudes? Anyway, it's up to you.

Polyphonist

#2200314 - 12/19/13 05:01 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Why not do the etudes?

Same reason. grin

#2200315 - 12/19/13 05:02 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Is it time for the 8th installment?

#2200316 - 12/19/13 05:02 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
6000 Post Club Member

Most people would already know them, and they are not as hard to learn as you think.

8th installment in half an hour.

Polyphonist

#2200317 - 12/19/13 05:04 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Tell ya what guys - lets please start a NEW thread to discuss the NEW recital. We're starting to mix apples, oranges and grapefruit here - and we shouldn't be losing our focus IMHO.

Thanks !!

#2200319 - 12/19/13 05:08 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: carey]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: carey
Tell ya what guys - lets please start a NEW thread to discuss the NEW recital. We're starting to mix apples, oranges and grapefruit here - and we shouldn't be losing our focus IMHO.

Thanks !!

I didn't mean to hijack! A new thread won't be necessary but I agree, let's keep this thread about the mazurkas. smile

#2200326 - 12/19/13 05:20 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: BruceD]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BruceD
The Opus 41 Mazurkas are all so convincingly played; they were a treat to listen to.

ABSOLUTELY - the Opus 41 rocks !!!!!!!

Do have a question - in my Breitkoph Edition edited by Ignaz Friedman in 1912, the pieces are ordered differently.

Our #1 is #2 in Breitkoph
#2 is #3
#3 is #4
and #4 is #1.........

Go figure !!!

Anyway - I thought both Kreisler's and Dire Tonic's performances were top notch in every respect. (And Dire - I recall you were originally concerned about your ability to pull this off. Obviously you had nothing to worry about. grin )

Tim's renditions of the two most difficult pieces in the set (IMO) were excellent. #4 in particular was completely convincing. You really nailed it.

Edited by carey (12/19/13 05:22 PM)

#2200332 - 12/19/13 05:39 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Here's a novel idea: How about doing the nocturnes plus the large works? Sonatas, Ballades, Scherzi, Barcarolle, Fantasy, Polonaises and the like. Or perhaps the Etudes; that would be interesting.

F&%$(&)*&^&!!**&*!!!! My brain has gone up in smoke . . smokin

""

#2200333 - 12/19/13 05:40 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: FarmGirl]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: FarmGirl
Carey, since you are my real life friend too, I listened your again with the score (hahaha). Also I know you are / were pro, I listened to the recording of professionals with Spotify out of respect to you. Yep some friend I am.

It really is fun to have a PW member living a mere 10 minute drive from my house - and now we're attending the same monthly piano parties!!

I've heard those "professional" recordings as well, and they are most humbling.

I do want to clarify that I'm not, nor ever was, a "pro" (which is probably obvious from some of the recordings I've posted here). I was fortunate to have had some good teachers for a few years and a couple of lucky breaks that enabled me to get paid for teaching and accompanying before I decided to pursue a different career in the arts. At this point in my life, however, I'm simply a dedicated but frustrated amateur player. ha

Edited by carey (12/19/13 05:49 PM)

#2200347 - 12/19/13 06:24 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: carey]
Tim Adrianson Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks, Carey! I would agree with your assessment -- the 41-4 I was very pleased with musically, and I achieved it with only a couple of takes. I had played that piece many years ago (hate to say how many), and the remnants must have stayed with me. By contrast, the 41/2 was a new piece for me that I learned for this recital, and I went through a dozen takes, none of which I was totally satisfied with. I chose this one because I managed the murderous "B" section the best. It IS one wicked little mazurka!

#2200350 - 12/19/13 06:29 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: carey]
Tim Adrianson Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi, FarmGirl! Yes, there IS a discrepancy in the numbering of the 41 set, which caused confusion among us. I own the old Kalmus edition, which does NOT match up with the now approved ordering of the four. The 41/4 is 41/1 in my edition. Frankly, 41/4 makes more sense musically -- it is easily the most massive of the four, and it would match precisely the emotional arc established in Op 33.

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
154 registered (accordeur, Al LaPorte, Adypiano, 46 invisible), 1717 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74230 Members
42 Forums
153548 Topics
2250348 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Spinoff: What do we think of "technique seminars"?
by TwoSnowflakes
04/18/14 02:46 PM
Questions about Chopin Nocturne Op. 27 No. 2 in D Flat Minor
by noobpianist90
04/18/14 01:51 PM
A new performance experience... Need advice.
by Svenno
04/18/14 01:46 PM
Thoughts on the Yamaha P-255
by voxpops
04/18/14 01:17 PM
Piano Learning Myths...
by evamar
04/18/14 12:32 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission