Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
73 registered (beet31425, AZNpiano, AndyP, anotherscott, 18 invisible), 1087 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#2201005 - 12/21/13 02:38 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
gutenberg Offline

Loc: Wichita, Kansas
Wow! I left town about the time this recital started and just got back. Just got through everything so far. It is so very special to have people come together and share their love of piano and Chopin like this. I love the mazurkas and found so many interpretations here idiomatic and revealing. While everyone should feel good about what they've done, I have to single out Carey's 56/3. The piece is quite a journey and you took us there.

I appreciate the kind words from Ganddalf, Farmgirl, peterws, and Cinnamonbear to my little addition.

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2201050 - 12/21/13 04:34 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
hreichgott Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: western MA, USA
Carey, I enjoyed Op 56 no. 3 so much. It had a nice improvisatory feel to it, like you were making it up as you went along, and having a great deal of fun. Thanks for sharing it with us.
I love Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven and new music

#2201066 - 12/21/13 05:13 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
Thanks everyone for sharing your work. The recital was a great idea. I didn't have the chance to log in the last few days, but I look forward to listening to all your renditions! smile thumb

Music is my best friend.

#2201113 - 12/21/13 07:03 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
10th installment is here!

Mazurka in A minor, Opus 59 No 1
Performed by Ganddalf
https://app.box.com/s/wzeelle82o3wl9b9dfj7

Mazurka in Ab major, Opus 59 No 2
Performed by musica71

Mazurka in F# minor, Opus 59 No 3
Performed by jeffreyjones
https://app.box.com/s/nqyl962qjcc342b276gd

Enjoy! smile

Polyphonist

#2201117 - 12/21/13 07:10 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
Opus 59. His most magical set of mazurkas. Good job. And good job to everyone so far. It's been a joy listening.

#2201125 - 12/21/13 07:31 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
dynamobt Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NH
Wow! The great performances just keep coming.

#2201136 - 12/21/13 08:14 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
Brad Hoehne Offline

Loc: Ohio
Everyone here has taught me to love the Mazurkas.

Currently working on:
Chopin Etudes op 10 #12 "Revolutionary" and op 25 #2
Chopin Nocturne op 37 #2
Playing by ear and "filling out" pop tunes

#2201145 - 12/21/13 08:32 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

11th installment is ready!

Mazurka in B major, Opus 63 No 1
Performed by Ganddalf
https://app.box.com/s/vmyehrokootothvhwvdj

Mazurka in F minor, Opus 63 No 2
Performed by sandalholme
https://app.box.com/s/6e4y0s35e3a5u7cy52u3

Mazurka in C# minor, Opus 63 No 3
Performed by FarmGirl

Happy listening! smile

Polyphonist

#2201182 - 12/21/13 09:14 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Opus 59 - WOW !!!!!

Ganddalf - Exceptionally well played with great attention to detail. Loved your performance. Hope you had safe travels this past week.

Musica71 (Judy) - Thanks again for stepping in and doing this one (when it became clear that I couldn't get my own recording of it made in time). Your performance is graceful, delicate and nuanced. I can certainly learn from your interpretation.

Jeffrey - I had high hopes for your performance - and you certainly didn't let me down !!!! You obviously know this amazing work inside and out - and you follow the score beautifully !! It is always a pleasure to hear you play.

Edited by carey (12/21/13 09:16 PM)

#2201201 - 12/21/13 09:42 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
musica71 Offline

Loc: Bend, Or.
Carey, Thanks so much for the nice comments, this piece literally drove me to drink! I have been playing it off and on for about 3 years constantly putting fires out just to have another problem show up. The other 2 in this Opus so interesting AND such sensitive performances!

#2201203 - 12/21/13 09:44 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
AZ_Astro Offline

Loc: Tempe, Arizona
Well - this has been my introduction to Chopin's Mazurkas and I must say I'm very impressed with all the technique and beauty in the playing. Congrats all!

#2201212 - 12/21/13 10:29 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: hreichgott]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: hreichgott
Carey, I enjoyed Op 56 no. 3 so much. It had a nice improvisatory feel to it, like you were making it up as you went along, and having a great deal of fun. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Hreichgott, AZPiano, FSO. FarmGirl, Tim, Bruce and Gutenberg - Thanks to all for your supportive comments.

It took me a very long time to figure out how to interpret this particular Mazurka, which is symphonic in breadth, serious, beautiful and mature. My first recordings were uninspired and unmusical - and I knew I could probably do better than that - so I kept plugging away until it finally started to sound more like "music." Even though every move was calculated, I'm glad the final product had an improvisatory feel to it. smile

Edited by carey (12/21/13 11:21 PM)

#2201216 - 12/21/13 10:42 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
Sandalholme :

The tender lyricism of your interpretation of Op. 63 No. 2 really struck home. The phrasing was beautifully and sensitively realized.

Thank you.

Regards,

#2201218 - 12/21/13 10:47 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Opus 63 - Very nice !!!

Ganddalf - Another well thought out, musically mature rendition !!

Sandalholme - Sensitive interpretation !!

FarmGirl - This is the best I've heard you play - lovely performance - I was very impressed !!!!

#2201221 - 12/21/13 10:54 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Here is the 12th installment. smile

Mazurka in G major, Opus 67 No 1
Performed by Cinnamonbear
https://app.box.com/s/u5z590600p289cvx8z1j

Mazurka in G minor, Opus 67 No 2
Performed by FSO

Mazurka in C major, Opus 67 No 3
Performed by Pavel.K
https://soundcloud.com/pavel-k/chopin-mazurka-in-c-major-op

Mazurka in A minor, Opus 67 No 4
Performed by jrcallan
https://app.box.com/s/m4mxkhuk0j5g9f24frx2

Enjoy! smile

Polyphonist

#2201229 - 12/21/13 11:23 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: carey]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Originally Posted By: carey
Opus 63 - Very nice !!!

Ganddalf - Another well thought out, musically mature rendition !!

Sandalholme - Sensitive interpretation !!

FarmGirl - This is the best I've heard you play - lovely performance - I was very impressed !!!!

Carey, that's very kind of you but I must tell you that I made my teacher wince when I played the recording to her after I posted. Well she was gone most of the time due to loss in her family. So I tried to interpret it on my own. I should have tapped you like Cinnamonbear! But the fact you thought I was getting better was encouraging. Next time will you listen to my work in progress stage recording?
Solo - Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Schumann Op 12 Warum, Grillen and a few short pieces by various composers
Collaboration - Concerto in C for Oboe and orchestra attributed to Haydn edited by Evelyn Rosewell and some duets

#2201236 - 12/21/13 11:31 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
FarmGirl Offline

Ganddalf - Bravo, I cannot have enough of your performance. We'll done.
Sandalholme - what a beautiful piece and you performed well.

I have not heard of either piece until now but I love them now. What an incredible composer Chopin was. Every piece I heard are different and beautiful.
Solo - Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Schumann Op 12 Warum, Grillen and a few short pieces by various composers
Collaboration - Concerto in C for Oboe and orchestra attributed to Haydn edited by Evelyn Rosewell and some duets

#2201244 - 12/21/13 11:49 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
FarmGirl Offline

Op 59
Ganddalf, you did it again another excellent performance.
Musica71- I LIKED it. It was very beautiful. I love the way you play into the instrument. And what beautiful tones you produced. I was captivated throughout the performance. What kind of piano is it, it sounded very beautiful.
Jefferyjones- the piece sounded so big and beautiful. Emotional and stormy. Chopin seems to take us to beyond Mazurka. The performer did justice to the incredible piece

#2201277 - 12/22/13 04:44 AM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
AZNpiano Online   happy
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Cinnamonbear:

You nailed the Opus 67 No 1 mazurka. What a lively and fun performance. You make me want to learn that piece.

#2201279 - 12/22/13 04:55 AM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
AZNpiano Online   happy
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
The Op. 59 set made my day! What a diverse set of gems, all so exquisitely rendered with charm, musicality, character, and--may I say--daring. The third one really went for it. I wasn't too familiar with this set before today, but it just may end up on my performance program one of these days.

Thank you, Ganddalf, musica71, and jeffreyjones!

#2201303 - 12/22/13 07:18 AM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
dire tonic Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: uk south
As each successive opus is broadcast Im blown away yet again. I was already familiar with Careys masterful skills from the Grieg recital so I had a sneaking suspicion there was a whole crowd of you in PCF gearing up to dazzle everyone - as it turns out! My ABF friends too are excelling themselves with ever better performances. Musically, theres more than Im able to take stock of but I did get some clues from the recital and I intend to go back and see what I can fathom for myself. What I hear in so many of the performances is bold, brimming with confidence, almost flamboyant - that doesnt come easily.

Many thanks to all for the kind comments on my op 41,4 and to hreichgott for the advice which Ill certainly take on board.

FarmGirl, its a piano controller running a piano sample library which lives in my laptop still a bit of a hit and miss venture but I heartily commend the technology to all DP players.

#2201325 - 12/22/13 08:38 AM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
Morodiene Offline

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I have been on the road for 2 days (with kitties) and spent my first day here in the tundra (AKA Wisconsin) moving personal items from a house we are selling and decorating for Christmas. I have a lot of listening to catch up on! From the responses, I'm really looking forward to hearing everyone. smile
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2201369 - 12/22/13 11:50 AM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: AZNpiano]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rockford, IL
Originally Posted By: AZNpiano
Cinnamonbear:

You nailed the Opus 67 No 1 mazurka. What a lively and fun performance. You make me want to learn that piece.

Ha-ha! Thanks for the compliment, AZNpiano! Quite honestly, though, I had to make an unwelcome decision with this one. The question was whether to sacrifice the spirit of it and take it less "lively" at a slower tempo in order to play all of the grace notes and trills in the scherzo, or, play it peppy like I was hearing it wanting to be played, trills be damned. Each of the four variations in the scherzo section has a distinct character, and being able to finesse the build up of mordents, grace notes and trills PLUS observe the dynamic changes through there really adds to the delightfulness of it all. AND the challenge! I was not up to the task. smile I ran out of time to get all of that accomplished, despite lots of unfocused "practice," so I decided to make fudge! Ha-ha! Maybe by next year, or, the year after that... (I can almost play it at half speed of the tempo I chose. crazy The metronome marking is 160 to the quarter note, which, to me, seems insanely fast, though I am sure there are some who can pull it off. And I realize there is a lot of elasticity not only allowed, but needed, as one traipses through any Mazurka. I think the trick is to find the right relationships between tempi from section to section based on the tempo with which one starts. I started at about 120 to the quarter note. "Vivace" was the overriding idea.) wink

Here is a picture of the scherzando section, so you can see just how far afield I went! grin

Click to reveal..

But I'm really glad you liked it and want to learn it! It's a fun one! laugh

--Andy

#2201383 - 12/22/13 12:35 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
musica71 Offline

Loc: Bend, Or.
Farm Girl...My piano a 6' 6" Feurich. Had it about a year, I really love it, it has been very stable here in this dry country.

#2201421 - 12/22/13 02:34 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
Tim Adrianson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

As others have noted, what a terrific set of performances for the OP 59 set!

Gandalf, you; reading of the 1st Mazurka is so close to my own throughout that the effect was close to ludicroud. Comforting to know that great minds do indeed run on the same track.

Musica71 (OK, Judy!), I thought your approach and performance of the 2nd Mazurka was REALLY good. Just loaded with character and panache! I personally approach this Mazurka somewhat different, with more emphasis on its intimate side -- but this was really convincing, and a joy to listen to.

Jeffrey -- I approach this one robustly as well, but you definitely "out-robusted" me in this performance. All that chromatic detail, taken at a hair-raising clip, was genuinely exciting to listen to. I also liked the sharp contrast between the "A" and "B" sections -- I don't normally make that sharp a distinction, and that aspect was most instructive.

Thanks to all, and bravo!

#2201429 - 12/22/13 02:48 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: musica71]
Tim Adrianson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

musica71, I can definitely relate to that -- it seems relatively straightforward relative to the other two, but it is replete with subtle little minefields from beginning to end. Pacing is SO important with this one -- slow enough to catch the subtleties, but fast enough to maintain the dance-like character. Too slow, and it sounds labored; too fast, and you simply lose some of the precious details in harmonization and voicing.

#2201449 - 12/22/13 03:21 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
41 1 Kreisler Not a barrel o` laughs, is it? Played with approproate gravity and a dollop of empathy suitably bestowed. What troubled that guy? Maybe I ought to read more. You have created a lovely sound on that jo-anna of yours!

41 2 Tim Adrianson Surely, this is Chopin`s forte. Intricate stuff that scrambles our brains demanding our attention and appreciation in equal measure! I enjoyed this short piece on your lovely piano greatly.

41 3 Dire Tonic Very sensitive playing here, man; yer fingers look totally at ease and looking for more . . the music flows ever so well. I am a tad jealous . . .

41 4 Tim Adrianson A glutten for punishment. Sounds like you knew these already anyway. A wistful piece with powerful movements as it progresses. I liked it more as it progressed . . I wonder what was in his head when he wrote this; maybe it motivated him to write anyway. And others like him. Musicians do seem a strange lot at times.

The standard revealed so far has been staggering. Whilst you lot are improving, I`m trying to hang on to what I`ve got . . . .

""

#2201450 - 12/22/13 03:22 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

13th installment is here! smile

Mazurka in C major, Opus 68 No 1
Performed by Beric

Mazurka in A minor, Opus 68 No 2
Performed by BruceD
https://app.box.com/s/2bm0qnktix9m7bmrgu2k

Mazurka in F major, Opus 68 No 3
Performed by Cinnamonbear
https://app.box.com/s/64ld9svq636wtuqvlfdr

Mazurka in F minor, Opus 68 No 4
Performed by dire tonic
Chopin's last composition!

Enjoy. smile

Polyphonist

#2201461 - 12/22/13 03:48 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
50 1 SlatterFan You brave one! This hits you between the eyes, really does. Complexity of rhythm, last a blast o` cold air or a macabre dance and yet compelling too. It made me sit up . . .great job!

50 2 Ganddalf Although this is very easy on the ears due in no small measure to your expertise, you could never mistake this for, say, Mendellsohn, Lovely, but some of his endings are a tad short . .

50 3 Damon This is a wonderful pure sound like snow on the ground on a clear cold day. My! You sure get this moving; excellent dynamics and presence here; my favourite so far. I`d`ve had a go at it `till I reached the 4m mark . . Superb ending! And your piano is . . . ?

""

#2201467 - 12/22/13 03:56 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
BruceD Offline

Loc: Victoria, BC
diretonic :

So appropriately wistful is your playing of the Op. 68, No. 4. Sensitive phrasing and balance throughout.

Thank you.

Regards,

Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Blubbering and friction
by music32
12/19/14 03:22 AM
Merry Christmas!
by ZikO
12/19/14 03:05 AM
Urgent need of help to learn Songs
by Fominator
12/19/14 02:11 AM
Freaked out by how roughly movers handled piano, need advice
by kaustin
12/19/14 01:36 AM
Freaked out by how roughly movers handled piano, need advice
by kaustin
12/19/14 01:30 AM
Forum Stats
77349 Members
42 Forums
159972 Topics
2349282 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission