Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
84 registered (angga888, Anita Potter, Artur Gajewski, Alan_Dublin, 18 invisible), 1226 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#2201480 - 12/22/13 04:19 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Opus 68 - Brilliant, gentlemen...absolutely brilliant !! Thanks to all of you for making my day a little better !!!

BruceD - You capture the true essence of the piece - and your trills are spot on. Lovely performance.

Andy - You nailed it buddy !!

Dire - I knew back when you selected this piece that you'd put in the necessary research and do something extra special with it. Your new keyboard set-up sounds wonderful - and I echo BruceD's observations above. Chopin would've been pleased to hear his final composition played with such sensitivity. Bravo !!

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2201489 - 12/22/13 04:45 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
These really are just wonderful performances. I listened to most as they were submitted, and I'm hoping after the holiday rush to give the whole recital a one-sitting listen. (I do get New Years' Day off.) Really, just excellent playing preceded and followed by more excellent playing. smile

Originally Posted By: FSO
Um....Derulux: for one who criticises themselves so much, you sure fail to bring what you promise; I wanted fluffed notes (indeed, everyone could do with a few more of those, just as a by the by....far too polished by half wink ), a stumble, a hesitantly muttered profanity just before restarting a bar for the sixth time...but no, instead there's just this overarching milieu of a ruler trying to enjoy a performance some subjects have brought before them...benevolent, surely, but in the unfortunate position of knowing it can't last...so their enjoyment becomes tainted with these spiralling little concerns...it really is so sweet of them to do this, though, but....*sigh* laugh

I am "professional" enough to curse after I hit stop. haha laugh

#2201493 - 12/22/13 04:54 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
There's been some commotion on the forums about the nocturne recital launch time. I said I would launch today, but I haven't yet because certain people have asked me to wait until the end of this recital, for various reasons that I agree with.

#2201502 - 12/22/13 05:13 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Op 63

Sandalholme - You captured the mood (dark drama) of the piece very well.

Op 67

Cinnamonbear - I think you now can say that Mazurka is you. I love your performance.

FSO - lots of energy in this piece. Like your interpretations with accents.

Pavel.K - beautifully played

Jrcallan - I have never heard of the piece but I realize it is a hidden gem. So wistful and beautiful.
Solo - Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Schumann Op 12 Warum and Grillen and Mozart K 475 Fantasy C minor
Collaboration - Concerto in C for Oboe and orchestra attributed to Haydn edited by Evelyn Rosewell

#2201509 - 12/22/13 05:20 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
FarmGirl Offline

Opus 68

BruceD - This is one of the two mazurkas I played before and I wanted to pick it. But now I am glad you took it. You played it extremely well with the clean trills to die for.

Cinnamon bear = mazurka. Should I say more?

Diretonic - wonderful performance. so perfect in every conceivable way. just one question. Did u memorize all the pieces? i didn't see the score. It could be you are as smart as your play, which is a formidable thought!
Solo - Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Schumann Op 12 Warum and Grillen and Mozart K 475 Fantasy C minor
Collaboration - Concerto in C for Oboe and orchestra attributed to Haydn edited by Evelyn Rosewell

#2201542 - 12/22/13 06:18 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: JoelW]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: JoelW
There's been some commotion on the forums about the nocturne recital launch time. I said I would launch today, but I haven't yet because certain people have asked me to wait until the end of this recital, for various reasons that I agree with.

I would request that you wait until after the last group of Mazurkas goes live at 10:30 tonight. smile

Polyphonist

#2201543 - 12/22/13 06:26 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Here is the 14th installment.

Mazurka in Bb major, KK IIa No 3
Performed by AZNpiano

Mazurka in A minor, KK IIb No 4
Performed by Vid
https://soundcloud.com/david-douglas-18/mazurka-b-134-a-minor

Mazurka in A minor, KK IIb No 5
Performed by Morodiene
https://app.box.com/s/c0pcw5pl6e7lq25hcg9w

Enjoy! smile

Polyphonist

#2201588 - 12/22/13 08:57 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I'm kind of going out of order here:

Mazurka in Bb major, KK IIa No 3, Performed by AZNpiano: Wow, this sounded so professional, like it belonged in a movie sound track! Excellent job, AZN!

Mazurka in A minor, KK IIb No 4, Performed by Vid: This mazurka seemed to be darker in character like No 5, with a little hint of happier times in the major section. I really liked how you captured the mood in this piece!

Mazurka in A minor, KK IIb No 5, Performed by Morodiene: Sorry if the levels are low, hopefully you can still hear it wink
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2201610 - 12/22/13 10:36 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

AZPiano, Vid and Morodienne - Very nice work !!

Poly - seems we still have about 4 or 5 left to post - correct????? smile

#2201612 - 12/22/13 10:41 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Yes. Here is the 15th and final installment of the 2013 Chopin Mazurka Recital.

Mazurka in Bb major, KK IVb No 1
Performed by Rupak Bhattacharya

Mazurka in D major, KK IVb No 2
Performed by hreichgott
https://soundcloud.com/heatherreichgott/chopin-mazurka-kk-ivb-no-2-b71

Mazurka in C major, KK IVb No 3
Performed by hreichgott
https://soundcloud.com/heatherreichgott/chopin-mazurka-in-c-major-kk

Mazurka in Ab major, KK IVb No 4
Performed by FSO

This installment concludes the recital. Thanks to all participants, and happy listening. smile

Polyphonist

#2201634 - 12/22/13 11:09 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
BruceD Offline

Loc: Victoria, BC
Polyphonist and Derulux :

Many thanks for all that you have done to organize and present this recital. It has enhanced the sense of community that I feel with the members here, and has helped in some way for me to know some of them better through their communicative performances.

Regards,

#2201637 - 12/22/13 11:12 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

My pleasure. smile

Polyphonist

#2201640 - 12/22/13 11:19 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: BruceD]
Morodiene Offline

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: BruceD

Many thanks for all that you have done to organize and present this recital. It has enhanced the sense of community that I feel with the members here, and has helped in some way for me to know some of them better through their communicative performances.

Regards,
+1
Thank you both for your hard work in getting this all together! smile
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2201642 - 12/22/13 11:23 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Polyphonist
My pleasure. smile

grin

#2201643 - 12/22/13 11:24 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: BruceD]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Regards,

I second this post.

#2201644 - 12/22/13 11:25 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Morodiene]
FarmGirl Offline

Originally Posted By: Morodiene

Regards,
+1
Thank you both for your hard work in getting this all together! smile

+1 really hats off to both of you. Thanks

#2201681 - 12/23/13 01:29 AM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Yes. Here is the 15th and final installment of the 2013 Chopin Mazurka Recital.

Mazurka in Bb major, KK IVb No 1
Performed by Rupak Bhattacharya

Mazurka in D major, KK IVb No 2
Performed by hreichgott

Mazurka in C major, KK IVb No 3
Performed by hreichgott

Mazurka in Ab major, KK IVb No 4
Performed by FSO

Rupak, FSO and hreichgott - Thank you all for introducing me to four Mazurkas I didn't even know existed. A very pleasant and upbeat ending to an excellent Mazurka recital !!

Edited by carey (12/23/13 01:29 AM)

#2201683 - 12/23/13 01:30 AM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: peterws]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
Excellent 'e'-cital! I have finally listened to all of these pieces, many of which I've never heard, and am very impressed with the quality of the submissions. Thanks also to Carey, Tim, FSO, and Peter for their kind comments. When I heard the pieces leading up to mine, I honestly wanted a do-over.

Originally Posted By: peterws
And your piano is . . . ?

As Carey rightly suspected, I use a digital piano. (or maybe he just remembered from the last time I posted a recording) It's a Technics SX-P30. I don't think it sounds as good as my Yamaha (also digital) but it has an easier action.

#2201740 - 12/23/13 07:59 AM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
jdw Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
I really enjoyed hearing all the different interpretations. Thanks to all!
Mozart, K 330
Brahms, Op. 118 no. 2

#2201772 - 12/23/13 09:18 AM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Norway
I'll have to wait until after the holidays With my comments to the rest of the Mazurkas. Just now I'm just too busy with other things. Merry Christmas to all of you!

#2201778 - 12/23/13 09:28 AM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Damon]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Damon
As Carey rightly suspected, I use a digital piano. (or maybe he just remembered from the last time I posted a recording) It's a Technics SX-P30. I don't think it sounds as good as my Yamaha (also digital) but it has an easier action.

Damon - I could immediately tell from the recording that you were using a digital - and a quick look at your "profile" confirmed that. I just bought a digital myself (Kawai CA65) to use for silent practice when the wife is at home - and I think its nifty. May even try to record on it sometime instead of my acoustic !! The folks here who submitted recordings made on digitals (you, Ganddalf, Dire Tonic, etc.) all had excellent results !!

#2201779 - 12/23/13 09:28 AM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
Dipsy Offline

I've just noticed that Beric's op 68 no 1 piece wasn't included in the relevant batch, though submitted on time. There was a misunderstanding over the way it was labelled, which I thought had been resolved.

Since I don't want his hard work to be for nothing, I've included his submission here, for your enjoyment.

Thank you farmgirl, ganddalf, Morodiene, Cinnamonbear, FSO and others for your generous comments made about my maverick contribution. Beric would also like to thank you for the comments made on his Op 33 no 3 piece.

Edited by Dipsy (12/23/13 09:29 AM)

#2201793 - 12/23/13 09:52 AM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Dipsy]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Ah, yes, Dipsy, I sent you a PM about that. You can delete the post you just made; I'm replacing the performance now.

Polyphonist

#2201804 - 12/23/13 10:16 AM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: carey]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
Originally Posted By: carey

Damon - I could immediately tell from the recording that you were using a digital - and a quick look at your "profile" confirmed that. I just bought a digital myself (Kawai CA65) to use for silent practice when the wife is at home - and I think its nifty. May even try to record on it sometime instead of my acoustic !! The folks here who submitted recordings made on digitals (you, Ganddalf, Dire Tonic, etc.) all had excellent results !!

You bought a fancy one! One of my Yamahas has the full three pedal treatment and built in speaker system (but it's still a slab). My humble Technics becomes particularly obvious when single notes are held out. Someday these DP's will sound close to perfect and they make recording a snap. No dog or other environment noises. Reverberation is completely controlled, except my Technics has only 2 settings; on or off! laugh Glenn Gould should have had one to eliminate his singing. The actions still feel funny to me even though I've used digitals for years, but that's the only downside for me.

#2201811 - 12/23/13 10:37 AM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Damon]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: carey

You bought a fancy one! One of my Yamahas has the full three pedal treatment and built in speaker system (but it's still a slab). My humble Technics becomes particularly obvious when single notes are held out. Someday these DP's will sound close to perfect and they make recording a snap. No dog or other environment noises. Reverberation is completely controlled, except my Technics has only 2 settings; on or off! laugh Glenn Gould should have had one to eliminate his singing. The actions still feel funny to me even though I've used digitals for years, but that's the only downside for me.

Yup - the Kawai is fancy - and it was 10 times more expensive than the used Korg SP-100 stage piano on I bought on Craigslist a few years back. The action on the 13 year old Korg is OK - but the piano sounds aren't great and the 32 note polyphony is downright irritating. Digital is digital - but the technology is improving every year. The recordings submitted to the Mazurka e-cital that were made on digitals sound just fine - and some are exceptional. smile

#2201867 - 12/23/13 12:13 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
musica71 Offline

Loc: Bend, Or.
I will chime in and thank the organizers profusely as well. I heard several Mazurkas that I never experienced before. So glad I had the opportunity to get in on this after I was unaware of it until too late.

#2201870 - 12/23/13 12:28 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
56 1 Morodiene A most pleasnt intricale yet flowing piece, with dollops of light and shadeto bring it all together. Played with the requisite authority it comes over very well even for a non Chopin addict such as myself . . .(better get outa here quick!)

56 2 Carey You always give value for money, man! Love this one; it`s so strident and you give it loads of strength and character. How many times a month does the tuner get called in?

56 3 carey Hymn like with loads of dynamics and drama. This piece isn`t short. Dunno how you learn it all . . . .

Edited by peterws (12/23/13 12:39 PM)

""

#2201887 - 12/23/13 01:05 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
59 1 Ganddalf It`s good to hear regulars who make a great showing on everything they do. Something for the rest of us to aspire to . .Here we have more key shifting stuff from Fred. He likes doing this and returning to the original by inventive means leaving us poor mortals with swollen brains and aching fingers. Well, me anyway. You obviously have no such problems . . .!

59 2 Musica 71 Did you do all these pieces in one sitting? Seperating them out for us to digest in swallowable amounts . . .! Nice and flowing; loved the LH melody and the quiet confidence exhuding form someone who knows what they`re doing. Brilliant piano!

59 3 Jeffreyjones Make way for The Beast! Swallows up all this music and comes back for more. And who better to feed it than you?

The complexities of Chopin`s mind have nearly done mine in . . . Think I`ll give the nocturnes a miss. Anybody up for a Rihanna recital? Robbie Williams? (Shrug crazy)

""

#2201890 - 12/23/13 01:17 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
dynamobt Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NH
Thank you to the organizers of this themed recital. And thank you to all the performers. Although I did not comment individually, I listened to each and every submission. Some really lovely playing throughout!! Very enjoyable. It is immensely rewarding to listen to an entire group of themed works. It really gives a more in depth look at a composer. It's amazing that there are so many Mazurkas and yet each is unique!! I'm a big fan of Chopin already. These performances did nothing to diminish him!

#2201893 - 12/23/13 01:29 PM Re: Chopin Mazurkas - 2013 Recital! [Re: Polyphonist]
Pathbreaker Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
Thanks for putting this together, Polyphonist.

Mazurka in Bb major, Opus 7 No 1
Performed by sandalholme
https://app.box.com/s/me4kqt1f4dsac4l9b80n

I still haven't been able to listen to most of the recital but I'm working on it. I just wanted to comment on this very well played Bb major Mazurka.

I had to give it a listen because I still remember being defeated by this piece long ago. My teacher gave me this to play and I thought it would be cake but then completely and utterly failed to make anything of it. I was playing the notes but there was just nothing musical coming through. I couldn't make sense of it. To this day I refuse to play it. But I was happy to listen to your performance. First time I've heard it in a long time.

I bet all the Mazurkas have been avoided because of that one. Maybe a little bit of a trauma? I will try to get over it and listen to the rest. smile These kinds of miniatures can be so deceptively hard, at least for me.

Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha
Yamaha
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Music reading apps for iPad that use mic
by Artur Gajewski
11/24/14 03:02 AM
About Roland's PHA4 STANDARD and F-130R
by Yussnan84
11/24/14 12:55 AM
Call me irresponsible....
by harpon
11/23/14 11:17 PM
Yamaha used U1/U3 or new B3?
by blackjack1777
11/23/14 10:41 PM
Keyboard for $500 - and software to help learn?
by Freebird308
11/23/14 09:35 PM
Forum Stats
77024 Members
42 Forums
159308 Topics
2340188 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission