2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (benkeys, Burkhard, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 14 invisible), 1,814 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
OP Offline
C
Ok. I feel like I had a similar post before.

I have a transfer student I've been working with since September. She's in Alfred's Premier 2A (or is it B? the green ones!). Has been taking lessons for 3 or 4 years I think. 10 years old.

Problem? the book is starting to move around a bit on the keyboard, and she's stuck in "positions". For instance, "C Position", "D position", "E Position". I don't know where she got this from since I'm pretty sure Alfred's doesn't teach specific positions beyond C and G.

We are only working on 2 songs, max, per week, because it takes a long time to go through and learn every note. Her theory book is no help. smile

We are working on Christmas songs now. This is good. After playing Silent Night (and not moving her hands once), I asked her if it sounded like Silent Night. She said "No". I'm trying to seize this as an opportunity. If it doesn't sound right, let's figure out how to fix it. Same thing with Deck the Halls - I was able to utilize her "ear" to figure some things out. (Where does it sound wrong?)

She knows the notes! I ask her and she knows! I've even done "speed notes" (a bunch of notes on a page and I time her to see how many she can do in a minute)

Thoughts? Ideas?

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by ceg_piano
Ok. I feel like I had a similar post before.

I have a transfer student I've been working with since September. She's in Alfred's Premier 2A (or is it B? the green ones!). Has been taking lessons for 3 or 4 years I think. 10 years old.

Problem? the book is starting to move around a bit on the keyboard, and she's stuck in "positions". For instance, "C Position", "D position", "E Position". I don't know where she got this from since I'm pretty sure Alfred's doesn't teach specific positions beyond C and G.

We are only working on 2 songs, max, per week, because it takes a long time to go through and learn every note. Her theory book is no help. smile

We are working on Christmas songs now. This is good. After playing Silent Night (and not moving her hands once), I asked her if it sounded like Silent Night. She said "No". I'm trying to seize this as an opportunity. If it doesn't sound right, let's figure out how to fix it. Same thing with Deck the Halls - I was able to utilize her "ear" to figure some things out. (Where does it sound wrong?)

She knows the notes! I ask her and she knows! I've even done "speed notes" (a bunch of notes on a page and I time her to see how many she can do in a minute)

Thoughts? Ideas?

Playing in positions is a mindset. I can't remember one student who did not assume that the hands stay in the same place, using the same fingers on the same notes, so people have an idea that there is a "home row", sort of like on the computer.

It's a logical assumption. It is WRONG, but it is logical.

Once students have gotten used to thinking in positions, and depending on them, whether your student or a transfer, it is not easy moving out of this mindset.

That's the elephant in the room.

S
S
Demonstrate?

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
If it took her "3 or 4 years" to get to Alfred Premier 2B, then don't expect her to get too far. That's slower than a crawl. She probably doesn't practice piano very much.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
If it took her "3 or 4 years" to get to Alfred Premier 2B, then don't expect her to get too far. That's slower than a crawl. She probably doesn't practice piano very much.

I'm not entirely sure it's actually been "3 or 4 years" of true piano lessons. I think they did MYC too… I can't remember what mom told me.

The one that's not taking piano lessons in the family is the one with the most talent….(he decided to join junior high band and doesn't have time for both).

C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by stalefleas
Demonstrate?

I do!

S
S
Well I figured but you didn't mention it so I thought it wouldn't hurt to bring it up.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Try a couple of easy-for-her pieces that require a slight change of position, sometimes over more than five notes. For example a simple piece with LH chord C-E-G alternating with B-D-G. Or Alberti basses or broken chords in similar patterns. Or a single-note melody requiring more than five notes (Twinkle Twinkle Little Star).

I don't really understand teaching from five-finger positions at all, especially because the methods that use it the most claim to teach reading effectively, but when students get used to positions they only read finger numbers, not notes!

I do understand that when a student gets accustomed to one way of learning, especially in the earliest stages, it can take the student a long time to break out of it into new ways of learning, especially if the student does not naturally get excited about new information and new challenges. It is possible; it just takes a long time and a lot of patience and praise for tiny steps.

Last edited by hreichgott; 11/28/13 04:01 PM.

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by hreichgott
I don't really understand teaching from five-finger positions at all, especially because the methods that use it the most claim to teach reading effectively, but when students get used to positions they only read finger numbers, not notes!

I disagree.

Students will read only finger numbers when either teacher write in for them or the editor of the book provide all for them. When finger numbers are not there, then they are forced to read the notes or to read in intervallic way (skip and step)

Piano lessons in Irvine, CA
Follow my 4YO student here: http://bit.ly/FollowMeiY
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I do understand that when a student gets accustomed to one way of learning, especially in the earliest stages, it can take the student a long time to break out of it into new ways of learning, especially if the student does not naturally get excited about new information and new challenges.

You have just described 90% of the kids who transferred to me from Suzuki teachers.

But your description of the 5-finger positions is not quite accurate. I think you're confusing books that came pre-printed with a godzillion finger numbers with books that emphasize intervallic reading.

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by ezpiano.org

I disagree.

Students will read only finger numbers when either teacher write in for them or the editor of the book provide all for them. When finger numbers are not there, then they are forced to read the notes or to read in intervallic way (skip and step)

That is true, but when they get used to strict hand positions they make up "rules" in their heads about what fingers can play what notes.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

You have just described 90% of the kids who transferred to me from Suzuki teachers.

Yup. It happens with 90% of my students (Suzuki) when I introduce reading, too. It also happens with 90% of transfer students from traditional teachers when asked to do anything by ear. I had a traditionally trained student who was playing Chopin nocturnes but fell apart when asked to play Twinkle Twinkle and Mary Had a Little Lamb without a score. As in, could not find the opening fifth of Twinkle.

But your description of the 5-finger positions is not quite accurate. I think you're confusing books that came pre-printed with a godzillion finger numbers with books that emphasize intervallic reading.

I may be confused, for sure. I'm just going by what I've seen students do.

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
C
OP Offline
C
I still haven't figured out what to do.

I'm entirely sure my student was completely upset after her lesson today, though I am not convinced it was entirely my fault. I think she didn't get to practice that much this week (nothing written down) and maybe she had a bad day at school or something.

I did put my hand on her shoulder (not a normal occurrence), looked her directly in the eye, and told her that I was not upset or angry that she wasn't able to do this yet (I can't remember the exact words).

I think I might pull her back, get a variety of music, and exercises (maybe arrange some stuff myself). My friend gave me some ideas to do exercises moving around the piano. Particularly to do a contrary motion scale. I think it's genius. (she can accomplish it quickly!) I'm also not convinced she knows her notes as well as I thought.

We will conquer! (she WANTS to do this!)

Last edited by ceg_piano; 12/11/13 10:05 PM. Reason: grammar
C
OP Offline
C
Don't knock the Suzuki students! I was one for 4 years and I turned out just fine! smile laugh

(though I think it helped that I had a few months of "reading" lessons prior and my teacher wasn't a Suzuki "purist")

S
S
What do you mean "hand positions"?

"Doesn't practicing on the piano suck?!?!"
"The joy is in the practicing. It's like relationships. Yeah, orgasms are awesome, but you can't make love to someone who you have no relationship with!"
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ceg_piano
Don't knock the Suzuki students! I was one for 4 years and I turned out just fine! smile laugh

Sorry, I didn't mean to. I am an old Suzuki student myself, and I am a Suzuki teacher. I think it is an excellent way to learn. I was talking about the transition into reading, which occurs *during* Suzuki music education, just later on than in traditional.

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
R
R
Hi,

Did this transfer student come to you in Alfred's Premier 2B or did you choose this book for her? Before taking her on did you evaluate her?

I received a lot of transfer students with this issue. I would switch to another method book (slightly easier) or work sideways with some easier material that lacks "positions". Maybe a fun popular book?

I tell my students that they must read every note because there is no such thing as "positions". I will also mention something like how they have 10 fingers but know a lot more notes than 10 and moving around the piano is so much fun, creates interesting harmonies, and they see that they get to play like the teacher by moving around.

Private Piano Teacher
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Sweet06

My impression is that there is a distinct mental difference between thinking in terms of keyboard geography and thinking in terms of what the hand does.

So there's a difference in viewpoint, between how I get a finger, any finger, somewhere near the D key, and how I get my finger 2 to play a key, hopefully the D. One requires you to know where the key is, the other where the finger is.

Or maybe I've completely misunderstood.

gotta go practice
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TimR

My impression is that there is a distinct mental difference between thinking in terms of keyboard geography and thinking in terms of what the hand does.

So there's a difference in viewpoint, between how I get a finger, any finger, somewhere near the D key, and how I get my finger 2 to play a key, hopefully the D. One requires you to know where the key is, the other where the finger is.

That's the problem with some books (old Alfred, Bastien) because kids are so used to thinking fingers 1-5 in certain positions (middle C, C, F, G, D) and that's all the kids know to play.

There's really nothing wrong with teaching 5-finger hand positions (or pentascales), as long as you teach all of them, eventually, major and minor. That's what's covered in the CM Syllabus for levels Prep and One.

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by TimR

That's the problem with some books (old Alfred, Bastien) because kids are so used to thinking fingers 1-5 in certain positions (middle C, C, F, G, D) and that's all the kids know to play.

There's really nothing wrong with teaching 5-finger hand positions (or pentascales), as long as you teach all of them, eventually, major and minor. That's what's covered in the CM Syllabus for levels Prep and One.

Nothing wrong if every finger number is not written in as in Teaching Little Fingers to Play.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission