Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#2203816 - 12/28/13 01:20 AM Re: Question about minor keys [Re: RUSS SHETTLE]
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
By convention, guitar strings are numbered:

1, e (thinnest string)
2, B
3, G
4, D
5, A
6, E

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2203847 - 12/28/13 04:45 AM Re: Question about minor keys [Re: Punchslap]
frenchflip Offline

Loc: New York, NY
If you play the I-IV-V7-I of Db major vs. Bb minor, is there is not a HUGE difference? Further (staying with the same example), Bb harmonic minor is very jarring/"dissonant" compared with Db major, as one example. Minor keys are just an alternate way of perceiving a key signature. But the difference is immense, is it not?

#2203904 - 12/28/13 08:38 AM Re: Question about minor keys [Re: Punchslap]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ireland (ex England)
Originally Posted By: RUSS SHETTLE
When practicing the melodic scale, you go up using the melodic and come down using the natural. Go figure that one. I've already beat my head against the wall to understand why that is. You're using two named scales for the one. Why didn't they just give it a separate name? Sometimes you just have to accept what is.
Melodies in Western music progress to tonic.

In the natural minor the resolution from 7 to 8 isn't strong enough so the seventh is sharpened to provide that resolution (as in the harmonic minor, where the seventh is sharpened to effect a stronger V-I resolution) but the tone and a half between 6 and 7 is awkward so the sixth is raised too.

6 or 7 don't interfere with the tonic resolution when the melody is descending so they can revert to the natural minor.

#2203915 - 12/28/13 08:53 AM Re: Question about minor keys [Re: Polyphonist]
keystring Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: Polyphonist

And yes, there is a certain nostalgia and longing that can only be portrayed with a major key.

Interesting though. In other words, the major key contains the "happiness" connotation, but you'll have something else that is sad - made tempo and rhythm. But I'm thinking you can also produce that in minor, by having the minor key giving the sadness connotation, but the rhythm and tempo a jaunty quickstep, that is strangely at odds.

Am I right that this is mostly in a major key? What if it were sung/played at a much faster tempo, and without the pauses?

#2203956 - 12/28/13 10:03 AM Re: Question about minor keys [Re: Polyphonist]
LarryShone Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Darlington, UK
Originally Posted By: LarryShone
I've always been drawn to the minor key. Its the sound, the feeling it conveys to me.
I guess thats why I prefer sad blues to uptempo blues.

The major key can be sadder than the minor.

I often find the major key lifts a song out of the shadows. It is happier music.
When playing chords on a guitar I prefer Em to EM!
I just prefer the darker, melancholy tone. And yet whenever I improvise on a keyboard or come up with a new tune its invariably in CM! Probably because I'm lazy and find CM easier than Cm. Im not totally familiar with all the scales on the keyboard. In fact I only know CM by heart. Lack of practice time and lack of piano!

Yamaha PSR225-I NEED A PIANO wink

#2203988 - 12/28/13 11:31 AM Re: Question about minor keys [Re: R0B]
RUSS SHETTLE Online   content

Loc: Brandywine, Maryland
Originally Posted By: R0B
By convention, guitar strings are numbered:

1, e (thinnest string)
2, B
3, G
4, D
5, A
6, E

Thanks Rob, I did not know that order. My personal logic led me the assume otherwise but then again, it's been a long time since I last fooled with guitar or having to replace a string.

Russ
Yamaha AP Upright

#2203997 - 12/28/13 11:48 AM Re: Question about minor keys [Re: keystring]
RUSS SHETTLE Online   content

Loc: Brandywine, Maryland
Originally Posted By: keystring

And yes, there is a certain nostalgia and longing that can only be portrayed with a major key.

Interesting though. In other words, the major key contains the "happiness" connotation, but you'll have something else that is sad - made tempo and rhythm. But I'm thinking you can also produce that in minor, by having the minor key giving the sadness connotation, but the rhythm and tempo a jaunty quickstep, that is strangely at odds.

Am I right that this is mostly in a major key? What if it were sung/played at a much faster tempo, and without the pauses?

I think I see you point.

In the end, as I think you once pointed to, it's more about structure than feeling, though feeling may often more than not give away that difference.

Am to C is just a mode and like any other mode, structure is going to mostly define that. Perhaps that is oversimplification but do you not basically agree?

I'm familiar with that song and it seems to be sad. Without taking the time to analyze and figure up the chords; I'm assuming a structure coinciding with a major key regardless of how sad it may sound.

I just figure quickly the beginning. The first chord and sound is Db Major, melody begins with that major scale. Then moves to IV or Gb so right off the bat we have an I IV movement. It is a major key, I have no doubt and it's a sad song.

Structure is the determining factor over major vs minor keys. There should be nothing unclear about that.
Yamaha AP Upright

#2204509 - 12/29/13 01:18 PM Re: Question about minor keys [Re: Polyphonist]
lautreamont Offline

Originally Posted By: lautreamont
Minor keys were and often are considered the polar opposite of major keys.

I'm not so sure about that. If we're talking about polar opposites in keys, a better candidate would be the pairs of keys with tonics separated by a tritone - C and F#, Db and G, D and Ab, Eb and A, etc. There are several reasons for this: for example, these pairs of keys have the unique feature of sharing the fewest tones mathematically possible (2 tones out of 12, with a 7-note scale).

I was speaking in general, not that a specific minor key is the opposite of any specific major key. Conventional wisdom paints a dichotomy between the two keys ("major is happy", "minor is sad", etc.), and that has been a convenient, although not absolutely accurate, narrative.

#2204546 - 12/29/13 02:44 PM Re: Question about minor keys [Re: lautreamont]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Minor keys were and often are considered the polar opposite of major keys.

I'm not so sure about that. If we're talking about polar opposites in keys, a better candidate would be the pairs of keys with tonics separated by a tritone - C and F#, Db and G, D and Ab, Eb and A, etc. There are several reasons for this: for example, these pairs of keys have the unique feature of sharing the fewest tones mathematically possible (2 tones out of 12, with a 7-note scale).

I was speaking in general, not that a specific minor key is the opposite of any specific major key. Conventional wisdom paints a dichotomy between the two keys ("major is happy", "minor is sad", etc.), and that has been a convenient, although not absolutely accurate, narrative.

Quite inaccurate, in fact, and in my opinion unsuitable.

Polyphonist

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
143 registered (ajames, A Guy, aesop, *windowlicker*, accordeur, 36 invisible), 1388 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75984 Members
42 Forums
157140 Topics
2307797 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Chopin experts: this is driving me nuts
by riley80
08/29/14 09:40 AM
At Last - My VPC1 is Ordered!
by EmptySpace
08/29/14 09:32 AM
Pin block not contacting plate flange
by Bob
08/29/14 08:33 AM
? 4 CA95/CS10 owners - soundboard vs external speakers
by markmarz
08/29/14 05:55 AM
Might play in hotel lounges/bars!!
by Pover
08/29/14 04:18 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission