2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (brennbaer, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 8 invisible), 1,797 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Tim Adrianson
It IS one wicked little mazurka!

"One wicked little Mazurka" - love it !! grin

Last edited by carey; 12/19/13 07:43 PM.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo

Originally Posted by Tim Adrianson
Hi, FarmGirl! Yes, there IS a discrepancy in the numbering of the 41 set, which caused confusion among us. I own the old Kalmus edition, which does NOT match up with the now approved ordering of the four. The 41/4 is 41/1 in my edition. Frankly, 41/4 makes more sense musically -- it is easily the most massive of the four, and it would match precisely the emotional arc established in Op 33.

Hmmmmm....so I wonder what the correct (original?) numbering actually was??

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
P
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
P
Chopin's original numbering is e-B-Ab-c#, the same way I have listed it. And if you think about it, it makes a lot more sense. The set is far more coherent in Chopin's order. For example, every Mazurka leads into the next in some way. The E minor ends on an E, and the B major starts on one. It then finishes on a D#, and the first note of the next one is the enharmonic Eb. 41/3 finishes mid-phrase on a root position tonic chord with a C on top, enharmonically G# with B#, the dominant leading into the C# minor of the next Mazurka. It all makes sense.

Regards,

Polyphonist

Originally Posted by Polyphonist
Chopin's original numbering is e-B-Ab-c#, the same way I have listed it. And if you think about it, it makes a lot more sense. The set is far more coherent in Chopin's order. For example, every Mazurka leads into the next in some way. The E minor ends on an E, and the B major starts on one. It then finishes on a D#, and the first note of the next one is the enharmonic Eb. 41/3 finishes mid-phrase on a root position tonic chord with a C on top, enharmonically G# with B#, the dominant leading into the C# minor of the next Mazurka. It all makes sense.

Yes it does !! thumb

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Let me join those who loved Rupak Bhattacharya's performance of the G sharp minor mazurka from Op 33. Just beautiful.

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by carey
[...]As for the #2, the LH is the least of the challenges with this one. I found the RH to be awkward throughout, and the accelerated 15 final measures difficult to play accurately and evenly while holding the sustained notes in the upper voice. Gave me fits !! ha

No excuses, Carey! It was wonderful!

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Op.33 no 1 performed by Rupak Bhattacharya: I was really carried away by this performance. Wish I were able to do something like this. Professional level!

Op.33 no 2 performed by Carey: This mazurka is one of the first piano pieces I noticed as a kid. It was occasionally played on radio (before the TV age), and I liked it and always thought it was fun listening to it. I also tried to learn it myself ages ago, but gave it up very quickly because I found it very awkward to play. I enjoyed your performance and have an idea about the effort needed to do it the way you do. Quite an achievement for a non-professional player!

Op.33 no 3 performed by Beric: Very pleasing to listen to this small piece. I appreciate the light and optimistic character you gave to it.

Op.33 no 4 played by Tim Adrianson: So many nice contrasts in this piece. You play with rhythmic freedom and fine dynamics. Great performance!

Op.41 no 1 performed by Kreisler: Excellent dynamics. You demonstrate great “musical intelligence” through your playing. Very beautiful sound of your instrument.

Op.41 no 2 performed by Tim Adrianson: This was one of the mazurkas that lasted longest before it was claimed. Obviously because it is both technically and musically difficult. You managed to make music out of it – in fact, very beautiful music. Great job!

Op.41 no 3 performed by dire tonic: Flawless performance! You handle the thirds beautifully and it is clear that you understand this music very well. I enjoyed your playing very much.

Op.41 no 4 performed by Tim Adrianson: What a beautiful piece! At the same time both lyric and dramatic. This is probably going to be one of my favorite mazurkas. It sounds technically difficult, but you did a very good job with it.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
To dire tonic, who asked for constructive criticism, one big good thing and one thing to work on. Good: You have a very, very nice cantabile sound in your melody. It is very beautiful, the phrases are shaped nicely, and it fits the style of the Mazurka because it is singing and also has some attitude! To work on: Try creating bigger contrasts between different sections. I followed along with the Klindworth edition, and at least in that edition there are numerous markings you don't observe, rf and dolce and dim. and rit. and that sort of thing which would help create more contrast. Even without help from the editor you can always plan contrasts yourself.

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I enjoyed listening to all of these performances as they were posted (well, as I could sneak in the time), and I finally had a chance to listen again and write some comments. This e-cital is turning out to be a wonderful display of talent, dedication, and genuine music making. Thanks, Poly and Derulux (I know, Mr. Wizard, I know... mostly Poly...) for putting it together! smile

Opus 6
No 1 in F# minor - Sam S
Your attention to details really comes through. I mean, I love the way you shape the dynamics as the piece flows by, and the way the dynamics support the placement of those very important accents! Nicely done!

No 2 in C# minor - Swiss MS
Beautiful presentation! There is something very special about the way your piano brings out the overtones in some of the harmonies, and it gives your rendition that delicious Mazurka flavor. Another very special thing about the sound in this presentation is they way you cajole this big piano with your touch into giving the music a lightness of character. Quite amazing.

No 3 in E major - AZNpiano
What a happy, carefree piece, played with joy and verve! Very, very sweet!!! Lovely playing!

No 4 in Eb minor - Roland the Beagle
What an interesting contrast in mood, following the previous Mazurka! This one rides on the edge of melancholy and pensive, and you surf the crest of that wave well. Nice job with the dipsy doodles, too!

Opus 7
No 1 in Bb major - Polyphonist
I heard, by PM, Poly's take on this one as he deigned to accept my challenge to him. It is a very different interpretation than sandalholme's (below), very intriguing and very well done. Now, I wish he had the moxie to post it for the rest of you to enjoy!

No 1 in Bb major - sandalholme
Excellent from start to finish. Very subtle expression of varying moods, and a beautiful sweep of exquisite rubato!

No 2 in A minor - Brad Hoehne
Very sensitively played, Brad. I sense a depth of feeling in the way that you connect with this piece. Your phrasings and dynamic arcs come forth very naturally from you, and they relate that depth of feeling perfectly.

No 3 in F minor - Cinnamonbear
Hmmm. Not too shabby. And you did this on a Lester spinet, you say? Too bad your tuner couldn't get that final high F to tuck into the stretch. wink Oh, well. You did the best you could with what you had, I suppose...

No 4 in Ab major - Cinnamonbear
Presto, ma non troppo my eye! Well, at least you got the ma non troppo part right. I guess it holds together okay...

No 5 in C major - peterws
Oh! Oh! Oh! What a delightful, comic piece, played with such an open spirit of mischief! LOVED the ending! Awesome, awesome chord! LOVED IT!!! LOL! (I think I've listened to this one about six times, now. Brilliant!)

Opus 17
No 1 in Bb major - jefferyjones
Jeffrey, I love to listen to you dig in. It is obvious that you know and love this piano because of the way you scale your dynamics. Well done! On a personal note, I am sensing a greater degree of freedom in your playing, here, than in some of the first recordings of yours that I listened to in Member Recordings several years ago. I think you have made some significant "leaps of being" after having been somewhat hammered by life for the last two years. This music is very, very high calibre. You have pressed in and pressed on, and it shows.

No 2 in E minor - Dipsy
Such a melancholy, wistful piece. Sadness and nostalgia. It's a good thing you wore the Christmas outfit, because without that welcome distraction, I would have been reduced to a puddle of tears longing for days gone by! Nicely played, Dipsy!

No 3 in Ab major - jeffreyjones
The "organic nature" of the piano you alluded to in one of your posts really comes out in this one! You can really hear that beefy, rich, ringing, singing "old piano" sound! I once heard Trevor Stevenson talk about what kinds of materials to use in harpsichords and fortepianos--buckskins or synthetics?, crow quills or plastics?, and he said, "If it doesn't leap, moo, or squawk, I don't want it in my instrument." I had to listen to this one several times just to drink in the organic richness of craftsmanship that comes from this instrument. Your playing suits it. The connection is clear! Delightful!

No 4 in A minor - Valencia
Heartfelt. So, so touching. This one did bring tears. Rife with meaning, Valencia. Thank you so much for sharing all of that. We work out a lot of things when we're at the keyboard, don't we? My heart goes out to you and your mum.

Opus 24
No 1 in G minor - Musica71
That excellent trill at 2:27! Ha-ha! So, I was wrapped up in the warm blanket of tone and patterns, and enjoying the comforting hug of harmonies, and then that perfect little trill came flying by! Ha-ha! Good one, Judy! All of that was very well done!

No 2 in C major - peterws
I really enjoyed the soundscape you created for this piece! It's so happy! Great job bringing out the character of this one with all of those varied dynamics and touches. This is one I want to learn, now!

No 3 in Ab major - timmytab
Wow, you have a great feel for this Mazurka! All the nuances you bring out. Such patient and kind playing. This is exquisite, timmytab.

No 4 in Bb minor - Derulux
Now, Derulux... You had so innoculated me with low expectations in your wind up to this posting that I am actually somewhat in awe of your playing, now, having listened to the actual performance! Ha-ha! Talk about doing the best with what you have! Your playing is excellent! You play with such authority, grace, and, yes, I'll use the word that I save only for special occasions, sprezzatura! I know you had to fight your keyboard, but guess what? You won!

Opus 30
No 1 in C minor - gutenberg
This is high-order playing, gutenberg! Very, very compelling performance.

No 2 in B minor - JoelW
Not bad for a kid who doesn't read music! So, there are two obvious edits. Big deal! The playing carries the day. I don't know why you were so reticent to post this. crazy Can you tell us something about the piano and the room? It has a very unique sound.

No 3 in Db major - BruceD
Very fluid lines, Bruce! Lovely tempo! Great attention to detail, especially in realizing the dynamics. Your performance is quite nice! It sings and breathes!

No 4 in C# minor - jeffreyjones
Wow, Jeffrey, that is a huge piece! I'm sensing that freedom at the keyboard from you again; and, a solid emotional connection to the music in all of your Mazurka performances. It took me several moments of reflection to put my finger on what I am hearing come from you, now, and it is this: you are not pretending, anymore. This is the real deal, and you mean business! This is top notch stuff, man!

Opus 33
No 1 in G# minor - Rupak Bhattacharya
My goodness, Rupak! I've seen the phrase I'm about to say used by others as it has been (properly) sprinkled amongst other e-cital comments here and there... and, I'm going to use it here on this one: very professional! Not only that, so gentle and intimate. I had to listen to this one several times, because I did not want it to end! Very beautiful!

No 2 in D major - carey
Holy cow! So, that paper you sent me by Jan Gorbaty? This: "The oberek's characteristic accents, fast tempo and its repetitive figurative melody, are easy to recognize - easier than the mazur or the kujawiak. The dancers often increase the tempo to a vertiginous whirl - this type of oberek is called the "mill" or "windmill" - while the melody acquires repeated figurations characteristic of a wave-motion." Clearly evoked in your performance! Terrific!!!

No 3 in C major - Beric
Ah, another Mazurka infused with nostalgia! Gorgeous rubato and arpeggiation, Beric. You really captured the character of this one!

No 4 in B minor - Tim Adrianson
This one truly dances, Tim! Very, very picturesque! Superbly ornamented! Extraordinary performance. Wow. I could listen to this one all day!

Opus 41
No 1 in E minor - Kreisler
Beautifully phrased throughout, K! I see what you did, there... Quite poetic! Very lyrical!

No 2 in B major - Tim Adrianson
For some reason, this one made me laugh out loud. I don't know if it's the key of Bb major or what, but *that* is an *adorable* Mazurka! Must be the tickle attack that got me! Thank you so much for that one, Tim! laugh

No 3 in Ab major - dire tonic
Very fresh and lively, dire tonic! This one evokes woods and streams and fresh air for me, for some reason. Very rural and honest in character, like having friends over for dinner outside on a summer evening when there is still daylight left after the work is done. This was another one I had to give multiple listens, because I didn't want it to end so soon!

No 4 in C# minor - Tim Adrianson
Um, that was prodigious. Rhapsodic. Again, I say, "Picturesque." Your playing is very evocative, Tim. I laughed, I cried, I want to hear it again and again! (Honestly! Very cinematic!!! grin ) Beautifully played!

And now, on to these:
Opus 50
No 1 in G major - SUBMITTED
No 2 in Ab major - SUBMITTED
No 3 in C# minor - SUBMITTED

Opus 56
No 1 in B major - SUBMITTED
No 2 in C major - SUBMITTED
No 3 in C minor - SUBMITTED

Opus 59
No 1 in A minor - SUBMITTED
No 2 in Ab major - SUBMITTED
No 3 in F# minor - SUBMITTED

Opus 63
No 1 in B major - SUBMITTED
No 2 in F minor - SUBMITTED
No 3 in C# minor - SUBMITTED

Opus 67
No 1 in G major - SUBMITTED
No 2 in G minor - SUBMITTED
No 3 in C major - SUBMITTED
No 4 in A minor - SUBMITTED

Opus 68
No 1 in C major - SUBMITTED
No 2 in A minor - SUBMITTED
No 3 in F major - SUBMITTED
No 4 in F minor - SUBMITTED

Posthumous
KK IIa No 2 in G major - [open?]
KK IIa No 3 in Bb major - SUBMITTED
KK IIb No 4 in A minor - SUBMITTED
KK IIb No 5 in A minor - SUBMITTED
KK IVb No 1 in Bb major - SUBMITTED
KK IVb No 2 in D major - SUBMITTED
KK IVb No 3 in C major - SUBMITTED
KK IVb No 4 in Ab major - SUBMITTED

Thank you for all of that beautiful music, people! laugh thumb

--Andy

Last edited by Cinnamonbear; 12/20/13 11:18 AM.

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Cinnamonbear
No 2 in B minor - JoelW
Not bad for a kid who doesn't read music! So, there are two obvious edits. Big deal! The playing carries the day. I don't know why you were so reticent to post this. crazy Can you tell us something about the piano and the room? It has a very unique sound.

I can read music. Thanks anyway.

PS: Edits are a wonderful thing.

P
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
P
8th installment is ready!

Mazurka in G major, Opus 50 No 1
Performed by SlatterFan
https://app.box.com/s/dpv7habhumubzqit6lk2

Mazurka in Ab major, Opus 50 No 2
Performed by Ganddalf
https://app.box.com/s/7bxtwsogl1hge2eq6pm0

Mazurka in C# minor, Opus 50 No 3
Performed by Damon
https://app.box.com/s/8t7ahuktm4svk2ju13ak

Enjoy! smile

Regards,

Polyphonist

The amazing thing about the Opus 50 set is that 1) all recordings (I believe) were done on top notch digitals (thus providing for a consistent recorded sound), and 2) the playing was of such uniformly high quality that it is easy to get the impression that all selections are played by the same pianist !! Amazing work guys - with special kudos to Damon for masterfully pulling off a very challenging piece - perhaps the best performance on the recital thus far (which is saying quite a lot given the outstanding quality of what has come before). BRAVO !!!!!!!

Last edited by carey; 12/20/13 01:39 PM.

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
This is GREAT...I have never heard this group! Wonderful performances.

Musica 71
R
R
I'm so overwhelmed with all the spectacular performances of the mazurkas!!! Also, feeling so proud and happy to participate with so many professional and accomplished pianists here! I'm just a amateur beginner, so I don't think I deserve to comment on the performances here. But I must say, I'm enjoying each one of them everyday with immense pleasure! Hats off to all who have shared their wonderful talents and passion through their music! thumb

...and thanks so much to jeffreyjones, FarmGirl, carey, hreichgott, Ganddalf and Andy for all the kind and encouraging words!!! I really appreciate them! But I think you're too kind to me grin blush I didn't put any blurb with my submission (I'm too afraid of Poly laugh ) but any constructive criticism for my submissions will be extremely useful to me, as I don't have any teacher.

Thank you all once again and special thanks to Poly and Derulux for organizing this great e-cital!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I so enjoy the Op. 50 as compositions, and these performances were lovely. Ganddalf, yours was so charming, especially the character change at 1:30 or so.

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
A second for Damon's 50/3 -- just a stunningly good performance of IMO one of Chopin's most challenging Mazurkas -- the exquisite chromatic build into the finishing climax was just breathtaking in its clarity and intensity.

T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Rupak, I thought yours was one of the best -- along with Sandalhome, Cinnamonbear, Valencia, and diretonic, they were such exquisite and especially sensitive performances. I agree with you that this has been an extraordinary celebration of the great Chopin's genius.

P
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
P
Here's the 9th installment!

Mazurka in B major, Opus 56 No 1
Performed by Morodiene
https://app.box.com/s/5bz6oox8gr7qd4vgpd66

Mazurka in C major , Opus 56 No 2
Performed by carey

Mazurka in C minor, Opus 56 No 3
Performed by carey

Happy listening! smile

Regards,

Polyphonist
J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Rupak Bhattacharya
...and thanks so much to jeffreyjones, FarmGirl, carey, hreichgott, Ganddalf and Andy for all the kind and encouraging words!!! I really appreciate them! But I think you're too kind to me grin blush I didn't put any blurb with my submission (I'm too afraid of Poly laugh ) but any constructive criticism for my submissions will be extremely useful to me, as I don't have any teacher.

You've got a very special gift. There are a million pianists all over the world who could play that Mazurka, but I don't think more than a handful could match the same human touch. It tugged at my heart-strings immediately, because the narrative quality was so special and moving. Luscious tone and great phrasing too. I just hope whatever teacher you get doesn't ruin that!!

33 1 Rupak Battercharrya Beautiful faultless performance. I want a piano that plays like that with me sat in front of it . . .fat chance!

33 2 Carey Another pro performance here. Sounds like it anyway; I never spotted this lively gem or I`d`ve grabbed it for sure! And what an ending. Super listen at 6am . . . .

33 3 Beric There`s no "Tweed" in this playing . . .you know your stuff and it shows. If it wasn`t for Youtube, I wouldn`t know how fast to play these pieces. What`s the Italian for "Laid Back" . . ?

Only 3? Oh well. Time for tea!

Last edited by peterws; 12/21/13 02:20 AM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission