Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 4 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#2185827 - 11/20/13 04:28 PM Re: European Piano Party 2014 [Re: CarlosCC]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
Some thoughts about the TV crew in our EPP2014.

Many of us do not feel comfortable being filmed or interviewed for a TV channel. I don't know if the TV producer wants to do a short report of our EPP. I don't know if the hotel agrees with the proposal... OK, lots of undefined things.

So, I was thinking in a new plan (with the help of my wife, of course...):
The episode (with me) is to be filmed in several places in Lisbon, so my plan is to ask the TV producer if we can do one scene in the hotel - here, I can explain what is PW, talk about our party, or play the red piano, or something else... -.

This plan has some advantages:
- No need to have a TV crew in our EPP...
- The hotel will have (for sure!) the same free publicity on TV;
- I can try to change that free publicity with a free space for us.

Makes sense?

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

Self taught since 12/2009
Don't play what's there, play what's not there.

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
#2186051 - 11/21/13 01:35 AM Re: European Piano Party 2014 [Re: CarlosCC]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Carlos, that sounds like a good idea - and very creative thinking to try to get us a good rate! Why not give it a try? smile

Nikolas - I'm glad you're thinking of joining us!

As for "deadlines" I think that there really isn't any deadline except with regards to getting in on a deal with a hotel discount. Ideally we're going to try to stay at the same hotel, and the earlier we know how many folks are going to stay, the easier /better it will be for negotiating a discount.

I've started looking at air fares -but still have to pin down how many days we are planning to stay altogether.

I'm already thinking about which pieces I'd like to play.

#2186994 - 11/22/13 05:42 PM Re: European Piano Party 2014 [Re: CarlosCC]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

The 1st stage of my plan is complete, with success: I had a long conversation with the producer of the TV program and he agrees to do part of the episode in the hotel where I want to do our EPP. smile

Now I can try to negotiate with the hotel manager to rent our space for FREE!
Did I told you that he wants €1000 for a rental of 5 hours?!?!?!? That's out of any possible agreement. OK, OK, they offer the catering for 50 guests, and a special room rate for you, but that's too much €€€€. So cross your fingers, please.

To give you an idea, here is the hotel: http://myriad.pt/en/
And some pictures: Myriad Lisbon pictures
Beautiful, isn't it?
This is my first choice... of course there are other possibilities, but... can I dream?

EDIT: Watch the video and look the red piano I was playing! (at 01m:00s)

Edited by CarlosCC (11/22/13 06:00 PM)

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

#2187177 - 11/23/13 05:07 AM Re: European Piano Party 2014 [Re: CarlosCC]
casinitaly Offline

Carlos, it sounds like you may have a solution in the works.

I think the hotel is indeed lovely - gorgeous! - and I can see that it is obviously on the expensive side smile The rental time for the piano might be ok if it were an event people paid to participate in -like a concert or something, but for us, it is a bit over the top! I agree with you!

What kind of discount do you think they'd be offering for the rooms?
I am pretty sure we have people arriving and departing on different days, so staying for 2 or 3 or 4 nights....

It is certainly lovely to dream, but I wonder if they will
a) be interested in giving discounts for different lengths of stay
b) how much the discount might be.

Do you have any sense of that yet? I am concerned that this may be more that we're comfortable spending. I know it may be too early to have a clear idea on this, but it is an important factor (I know you know that smile )

Thank you again for all the time and effort you are putting into making this event a wonderful success!

#2187267 - 11/23/13 10:50 AM Re: European Piano Party 2014 [Re: CarlosCC]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

A few clarifications about the location of our EPP2014:

- My first concern is money.

- My strategy is to look for a location, for free.

- Then if it is an hotel, I will try to negotiate some discounts for EPP members. But the choice is always yours.

- Anyway, if it isn't an hotel, then each of you have to find an hotel in Lisbon.

That's the plan. That's why I'm working in advance to give chances to everybody in think about what is more suitable for each budget, and to decide.

Concerning with the piano - yes, we'll play for each other! -: Again, and if necessary, I'll try to rent a piano for free, too smile
How? Remember when Yamaha Iberia talked to me asking about our EPP? OK, it's time to call back...

_
NOTICE:
Put this thread in your "Watched topics" list. Don't miss any update of our EPP2014.

#2187974 - 11/25/13 09:28 AM Re: European Piano Party 2014 [Re: CarlosCC]
PaperClip Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Amsterdam, Holland
Hi Carlos,

The Myriad is a beautiful hotel. If I'm correct, I think the price is so high, because they offer a room with catering for 50 people. If we were with 50 persons, that's 20 euro p.p. That's a good price actually for a room big enough for 50.

But I don't think we'll be with 50 persons. Let's say the group will be 20 persons. Then we need a smaller room (read: cheaper) in a 3, 4 or 5 star hotel, that could provide this to us.

Not every hotel has the right size of an event room for 20 persons and a piano. If it's bigger, we'll pay to much. I think there will be one or two hotels in Lisbon with exactly the rooms we need.

Playing since May 02 2009

#2189302 - 11/27/13 04:54 PM Re: European Piano Party 2014 [Re: CarlosCC]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Yes PaperClip, you're right.

This is the first time I'm organizing such event. One month ago I didn't have a clue about prices, conditions, locations, and so on. So, I'd to start searching. And, why not try Myriad? Now, I have a price to compare with other alternatives (less expensive, I hope).

So, and because we have plenty of time, I'm starting with Myriad just because I think it is a good place. If we can't afford it, then, and as you say, there are other places in Lisbon to do our EPP. (Btw, there are NOT so many hotels in Lisbon with a piano AND a space for us. I would guess it's 30/70. The best hotels has space AND a piano, but they are more expensive. Others don't have a piano OR they don't do EPPs...)

Anyway, my goal is to define the location till the end of the year.
As you know, I'm working to have the space for free. That would be wonderful, but I can't promise that.

Thanks for your post.
EPP members's opinions are very important to me thumb

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

#2189373 - 11/27/13 07:35 PM Re: European Piano Party 2014 [Re: CarlosCC]
PaperClip Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi Carlos,

You are right to start at the Myriad. It's a beautiful place. The best hotels always have piano's. smile Once I helped to bring a maserati cabrio into an event room in a 5 star hotel for a fashion show. So I know there's a lot possible.

If you want the right size for the event room, I would look for historic buildings with a luxury hotel inside. The chance of finding a small event room in an old and small building is much bigger than to find one in a big and modern hotel. Especially if the modern hotel has more than 400 rooms.

On the internet I found the Heritage Lisbon Hotels. I quote the website: 'Collection of small boutique hotels in the historic center of Lisbon. Property and management of Portuguese families, the Heritage Lisbon Hotels are installed in old houses and small historic buildings in the historic center.'

Sounds ok.

Hmm.... Ok. Now I check the tripadvisor. The Brittania of the Heritage hotels is rated no 1 of 219 hotels in Lisbon. A very nice hotel in art deco style in the old city centre. Sounds good too.

Now I check for a small event room.

Herculano 1 room: Sq. M 55, Length 7,5 Width 7,2, Height 2,52, Theatre 30, School 18, U 16, Cabaret 21, Banquet -, Buffet -, Cocktail 30.

Garret room: Sq. M 60, Length 9, Width 6,5, Height 2,75, Theatre 50, School 30, U 22, Cabaret 28, Banquet 40, Buffet 32, Cocktail 60.

Pessoa room: Sq. M 50, Length 6, Width 5,5, Height 2,40, Theatre -, School -, U -, Cabaret -, Banquet -, Buffet -, Cocktail 50.

Three small rooms. Pessoa is too small and Garret room too big and therefor too expensive. The Herculas room is 7,5 x 7,5 meters suitable for theatre and cabaret, a big room for 16 persons, but ok to 30 persons.

I think this is a good room size for the EPP, don't you think?

The people working at the hotel could organise a piano for you if they don't have one. It's their daily job to handle specific requests. So you could ask them.

Well, I hope with these room specifications would help you to search for an event room of the right size in the hotel of your choice. Succes!

#2189601 - 11/28/13 11:23 AM Re: European Piano Party 2014 [Re: CarlosCC]
UKIkarus Offline

Loc: England, South East
Not a bad idea smile having looked on Google for this line

"Herculano 1 room: Sq. M 55, Length 7,5 Width 7,2, Height 2,52, Theatre 30, School 18, U 16, Cabaret 21, Banquet -, Buffet -, Cocktail 30."

It instantly takes me to the page you referred to, hopefully Carlos has also found it without any problems smile

On a side note I have cut down on all the distractions that were taking place on a daily basis from computers to whatever else (I'm an IT Technician soo yeah) and putting more time into what matters smile

Edited by UKIkarus (11/28/13 11:24 AM)

#2190220 - 11/29/13 06:52 PM Re: European Piano Party 2014 [Re: CarlosCC]
PaperClip Offline
500 Post Club Member

They don't have a piano though. So hopefully Carlos will find a nice hotel with a piano.

#2190562 - 11/30/13 01:25 PM Re: European Piano Party 2014 [Re: CarlosCC]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I contacted the Heritage Lisbon Hotel and they rent the room for 180 (without catering). But they don't have a piano... it's true frown

But don't worry. I've some other contacts and my request is being studied. I'm sure I'll find the right place for us.

Thanks for your help thumb

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

#2191310 - 12/02/13 09:39 AM Re: European Piano Party 2014 [Re: CarlosCC]
UKIkarus Offline

I hope it all comes together nicely in the end smile

If you need any specific information feel free to ask and I'll see what can be found as will many others I'm sure.

#2200938 - 12/21/13 11:17 AM Re: European Piano Party 2014 [Re: CarlosCC]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hello,
(Long time without writing here...)

I've been quite busy (job, family and piano related stuff), but I'm still working for our EPP.

Well, I've to say that our EPP is already well known by local piano stores, piano dealers, and some hotels (Lisbon is a small city and everyone knows each other...). Believe it or not, the interest in our party is growing everyday and I have been contacted by people who wants to know more details about what I'm organizing. Quite interesting!

So, I may have some great news soon.
But don't worry: our party will always be a private party (no TV crews, no outsiders, etc)

Now, it's time to wish you a Merry Christmas!
CarlosCC

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

#2200973 - 12/21/13 12:45 PM Re: European Piano Party 2014 [Re: CarlosCC]
casinitaly Offline

Wow Carlos, that's so neat. I had not realized Lisbon was so small- or perhaps it is the piano community that is small and chats a lot? smile Either way it looks like things are going to work well for the party!

Feliz Natal, Joyeux Noel, Feliz Navidad, Buone Natale a tutti!

#2201040 - 12/21/13 04:17 PM Re: European Piano Party 2014 [Re: CarlosCC]
Piano World Offline

Loc: Parsonsfield, ME (orig. Nahant...
Originally Posted By: CarlosCC

Hello,
(Long time without writing here...)

I've been quite busy (job, family and piano related stuff), but I'm still working for our EPP.

Well, I've to say that our EPP is already well known by local piano stores, piano dealers, and some hotels (Lisbon is a small city and everyone knows each other...). Believe it or not, the interest in our party is growing everyday and I have been contacted by people who wants to know more details about what I'm organizing. Quite interesting!

So, I may have some great news soon.
But don't worry: our party will always be a private party (no TV crews, no outsiders, etc)

Now, it's time to wish you a Merry Christmas!
CarlosCC

And a Very Merry Christmas to You and Yours CarlosCC!

Thank you for all your doing to organize this party.
Who knows, maybe by then Kathy & I will have won the lottery and can come too :-)
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Facebook.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
www.youtube.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Estonia L-190, Yamaha P-80, Hammond XK-3, Hammond A-100, Estey 1895 Pump Organ
-------------------------
It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!
And please invite everyone you know to join our piano forums!
Coming to Maine? We're in Parsonsfield (southwest) let's get together!

#2201075 - 12/21/13 05:34 PM Re: European Piano Party 2014 [Re: CarlosCC]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Ah, Frank. As an "honorary guest" you will always be present in our mind and hearts!

Merry Christmas!

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

#2202172 - 12/24/13 03:58 AM Re: European Piano Party 2014 LISBON [Re: CarlosCC]
PaperClip Offline
500 Post Club Member

I wish you all a merry christmas!

I look forward to be in Lisbon next year. Then I take a hot bath in a nice hotel and I will float a glass of cognac in the water to warm it up. laugh

Thanks for organizing the event, Carlos! smile

#2205752 - 12/31/13 02:33 PM Re: European Piano Party 2014 LISBON [Re: CarlosCC]
UKIkarus Offline

hehehe, I need to get practicing... still terrible at reading and chords frown

#2206753 - 01/02/14 07:21 AM Re: European Piano Party 2014 LISBON [Re: CarlosCC]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Don't worry... You're not alone... smile
In fact, I'm trying to recover from this Xmas season. I didn't play for a couple of days and I feel I need to return to the practicing routine.

btw, I'm already thinking about the pieces I want to play in our EPP, so I want to ask to all EPP2014 guests:
Do you have already chosen the pieces you're going to play???

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

#2206921 - 01/02/14 01:57 PM Re: European Piano Party 2014 LISBON [Re: CarlosCC]
casinitaly Offline

Originally Posted By: CarlosCC

Do you have already chosen the pieces you're going to play???

Maybe.

I will probably play the sonatina I'm working on now, and perhaps a jazz or blues piece.... I think I'd like to have 3 that I'm comfortable with.

I just got a Beatles book for Christmas, it could be fun to try something from that!

#2209664 - 01/06/14 06:38 PM Re: European Piano Party 2014 LISBON [Re: CarlosCC]
UKIkarus Offline

I know barely any classical and play mainly by ear, I doubt I will have anything worth contributing to be frank... that said it wouldn't hurt to play for fun smile

But no I have nothing really planned, I am just looking forward to the experience more than anything as it will be a first for me... both in terms of meeting you folks and travelling at all.

#2210159 - 01/07/14 12:11 PM Re: European Piano Party 2014 LISBON [Re: CarlosCC]
UKIkarus Offline

I cannot seem to edit my previous post for some reason frown weird....

Anyhow since it looks like I am 99% going to be here, anyone from England (south east) popping along to this? I could use someone to travel with to ease the nerves first time round.

#2211434 - 01/09/14 11:34 AM Re: European Piano Party 2014 LISBON [Re: CarlosCC]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

UKIkarus, don't worry about the trip. Everything will be fine, even if you do the trip alone. As I told you, we're from here, and so you'll never be alone.

Some updates: I'm still searching for the best location for our EPP. The next spot I'm going to visit is a space for about 50 persons - that's enough, I think - near the Lisbon Cathedral. The owner is well known for doing "small events for artists" so I think this can be a good idea for us - the owner is a musician, btw -.
The room has a piano, a bar, and a kitchen so they can provide food and drinks for a small price. I think it's a kind of "typical Portuguese food house", and they can close the doors to the public if we decide to do the party with them.
I don't know the space, but a friend of mine says it's perfect for us.

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

#2212050 - 01/10/14 09:40 AM Re: European Piano Party 2014 LISBON [Re: CarlosCC]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Time to think about where to stay in Lisbon!
Lisbon is not a large city, but you must avoid too busy or downtown areas. So, I would suggest a hotel in "Parque das Naes" (aka "Expo") area. This is where I live - it's the "new" city area -, it's near the Tejo river, it has transportation of all kinds for everywhere (subway, bus, taxi, tourist-bus, trains, near the airport), and it's very pleasant.

And because it's near my house, it makes my life easier smile

PS: I'm sorry. It's not possible to do a "true" negotiation with a hotel without knowing the total number of guests. In addition, I don't know the financial situation, nor the preferences of each of you, so it's impossible to me to choose one hotel for everyone. Of course, I can give some advice based on your own surveys.

I hope it helps:
Google Maps: Hotels in "Parque das Naes", Lisbon
Booking.com: Hotels in "Parque das Naes", Lisbon

And I made this (sort of) map: crazy

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

#2212067 - 01/10/14 10:26 AM Re: European Piano Party 2014 LISBON [Re: CarlosCC]
UKIkarus Offline

Nicely done smile

It does not look like the hotels are too far apart so I don't suppose it really matters who stays where with regards to distance, I would however be interested to see what ideas others have (if any) or where others have booked and why?

Will keep an eye on the thread to see what happens, going to have a word with family members to get the ball rolling smile

#2212070 - 01/10/14 10:32 AM Re: European Piano Party 2014 LISBON [Re: CarlosCC]
casinitaly Offline

Carlos, the location you're checking out sounds fine! Room for 50 is more than ample!

Thanks also for the info /suggestions on hotel locations.

UKIkarus, I'll let you know when we've picked our hotel so you can see if you want to stay at the same place.

Last year we stayed at the same hotel as SwissMS and Mr.SwissMS and that was nice. We had lots of opportunities to chat, dine and tour about together!

#2212362 - 01/10/14 06:03 PM Re: European Piano Party 2014 LISBON [Re: CarlosCC]
musdan Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Carlos - I wish I may, I wish I might be able to come to the EPP but won't be able to.

I enjoy keeping up with all the plans you have made and it will be a great get together. You would make a great travel agent.

Hope you and everyone have a great time and post pictures if you can.

Bon Voyage in advance one and all.

#2212370 - 01/10/14 06:18 PM Re: European Piano Party 2014 LISBON [Re: CarlosCC]
Piano World Offline

Loc: Parsonsfield, ME (orig. Nahant...
And we are watching this unfold from here in the States, and very grateful to you Carlos for putting this all together.

At the very least we will need to send over official Piano Forums member pins for everyone.

Carols, please PM (or direct email frank@pianoworld.com) your address details, and when you know, how many members will be attending.

One of these days Kathy and I will come over ourselves, we'd love to visit Portugal.
I used to work for a Portuguese man at a car dealership in Newport, RI (eastern State in U.S.), and my daughter's Godparents are Portuguese. They turned me onto Chourico and meat pies that were to die for!
Lovely hard working people with strong family values.

Have fun, take lots of pictures!

#2213019 - 01/11/14 06:04 PM Re: European Piano Party 2014 LISBON [Re: CarlosCC]
PaperClip Offline
500 Post Club Member

Someone wants to share an appartment with me instead of a hotel?

The appartment is a bit too big for me, because it has two bedrooms with double bed. It has airco and a great view:

Appartment

Maybe someone who loves soccer too, because 4th and 5th juli there are WC quarter finals. laugh

Anyway, when split the appartment costs 60 euro per person per night, which is cheaper than an hotel.

Musdan, next year there will be europian piano party III, I'm sure. I hope to see you then! smile

#2213252 - 01/12/14 06:57 AM Re: European Piano Party 2014 [Re: CarlosCC]
casinitaly Offline

And we are booked! We've got our flights!

We used TAP, the Portuguese airline, and got a pretty good rate!

Now...to continue the search for the hotel!

Page 4 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
167 registered (accordeur, Almaviva, Abby Pianoman, 36251, 47 invisible), 1868 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75896 Members
42 Forums
156837 Topics
2304531 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Rubinstein or horowitz couldn't play op 10 no 1?
by rov
08/21/14 04:05 PM
For Sale: PE-2 PIANO PEDAL EXTENDER
by TakomaRose
08/21/14 02:04 PM
How is this possible?
by kaanguner
08/21/14 02:03 PM
Questions About Piano Magic for Sheet Music Readers
by newbert
08/21/14 01:51 PM
Hammers and action parts selection for Mason and Hamlin
by Lyra
08/21/14 12:46 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission