2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (David B, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, dh371, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, 10 invisible), 1,199 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn
Great - I finally broke 80 by shooting a 77 and then later a 79 during the warm fall season on 2 rather difficult courses -

Oh Trapper.... Playing from the ladies tees on a par 3 course doesn't count. Doesn't matter how difficult they were. smile

I have to say it's been a good year for me.
I actually started learning piano with a good teacher.
(yes it was rough just trying to get started)
I now am the proud owner of a VPC named Ingrid.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by rnaple
Great - I finally broke 80 by shooting a 77 and then later a 79 during the warm fall season on 2 rather difficult courses -

Oh Trapper.... Playing from the ladies tees on a par 3 course doesn't count. Doesn't matter how difficult they were. smile

Are there such things as ladies' tees on a par 3 course? laugh

Regards,

Polyphonist
R

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Polyphonist

Are there such things as ladies' tees on a par 3 course? laugh

yes

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Musically: I've gotten a little better at playing by ear. I can 'find' most notes/sounds pretty quickly now even though it has taken me nearly 9 years to do it. I have 'found' some pretty neat melodies and rhythms that I worked into new original tunes. I'm happy with that as this is what I really love to do.

My weakness is still control. I find it very difficult to play delicately even though I am trying very hard to. The melodies and sounds I hear in my mind are incredible but it is still difficult trying to squeeze them out. I am just starting to scratch the surface as to what they sound like but in time I think you may get to hear them. It's just going to take a bit longer than I thought but, oh well.

Health: This year has been very difficult as the symptoms of having chronic Lyme disease have gotten worse. In the process of looking for any possible way that exists to improve my immune system, I am very fortunate to have discovered the two most powerful foods you could possibly ingest to improve your overall health.

1.) Kefir (a fermented drink with the strongest amount of digestible probiotics you can get).

2.) Raw milk. (Pasteurized/homogenized milk is 'dead' milk. All the good bacteria and digestive enzymes have been killed off.

If you Google 'Kefir' or 'the benefits of drinking raw milk', you will be amazed at what you find. You simply cannot get a better, stronger and more digestible form of probiotics and digestive enzymes. I can't emphasis enough how important it is to keep the good bacteria in your gut healthy as it IS your immune system.

Anyway, I hope to continue to improve with my nonsense 'noodling' or whatever you want to call it technique as well as try even harder to use more control and sensitivity in my playing. At this point, I really need to focus on that more as it is kind of holding me back but remember that I have large rockem-sockem hands and it is not easy for me to play soft and gently.

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Work-wise 2013 has been the best year since 2010. Lots of new students and groups, all in the town where we live, no commuting to the big city smile

Participated in 4 ABF recitals and the Greig recital.

Started my first truly long piece (Sonatina N2 Op 36 Clementi)

Went to the Brussels Piano Party!

Have reduced tension while playing dramatically.

Have (mostly, not 100%) gotten over the problem of not playing as well as I'd like in the lesson. It happens a bit, but not as much as in previous years.

Started ball-room dance lessons with my sweetie.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by KurtZ
Mine was fantastic. I was able to start playing again after nearly two years of injury. I never thought I could be so happy just to play a major scale and work out of a level 2A book.

Kurt

Kurt, This is wonderful to hear! I know how great it feels, having come back from injury myself a few years ago.

Meanwhile, all the 2013 accomplishments make me feel like a piano slacker!

1989 Baldwin R
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by casinitaly

Hope your husband doesn't find out! laugh

What - no new succulent Italian dishes concocted or delectable wine tasted?

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Great - I finally broke 80 by shooting a 77 and then later a 79...

You say in your signature that you have a very high handicap. So which is it? grin

Both...the devil helped me do it...you have to be a player to understand why I'd sell my soul so eagerly...and cheaply laugh

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I love this thread! 2013 turned out to be a very good year for me in lots of ways.

Healthwise: In the fall of 2012, I had an MS relapse resulting in partial paralysis on my right side. I missed the November 2012 quarterly recital because of it. By February I had regained full use of my hand and played a Bach piece in the February recital. The fatigue issues lingered through the summer, but in the fall I began working out for an hour at a fitness center daily. Now, I am stronger and more fit than I was before the relapse, and have no lingering symptoms. As a plus- I believe the fitness has greatly improved my piano playing.

Piano journey: I played in each quarterly recital, two pieces in the Grieg recital, and a piece in the Chopin Mazurka recital on PC. In addition I have posted to the Piano Bar 8 times.

I started hosting "Piano Parties" for my teacher's adult students and have become very comfortable playing in front of others. I attended the European Piano Party and had a ball! And, finally, I played in my first formal live recital in front of about 50 people that was live streamed to friends and family. It was a blast.

Skill-wise I believe I have made a big improvement in relaxation, and greatly reduced the time it takes me to learn a new piece. I am adding one major piece a month at this point.

On the personal journey side, after three years of living abroad, Switzerland has become my home. I have mastered German well enough to make German speaking friends, and I have made friends through the Piano Parties. i love it here!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
2013 was terrific! It started out, like each of the 25 years before it, pianoless, and ended playing piano again!

A lot changed this year and as exciting as those changes are I'm even more excited to see what I have to say about the end of 2014!

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member

28 years married and a few before that....my hubby is still my sweeetie smile

LOTS of recipes and wines....probably too many to list.
Tonight will be salmon and rucola risotto with a nice crisp White from Sicily smile

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

Unanticipated year here. End support on an ancient piece of software caused my most stressful work year of the last 11. I survive 70 hour weeks, but the resulting hit on piano studies has been most annoying.

At home front we're ending major renovations on our five-year project list and now get to clean out a metric cr@p-ton of accumulated saw/grinder/sander dust from every nook and cranny instead of "just wipe what guests can see". cry

Finally this week I was able to set a retirement date. Can't wait! Will be able study piano "for reals" starting next May instead of 15 minutes "whenever" grabbed from diurnal 2013 random space-time.

My best wishes for a bright 2014 to all.

Happy New Year!

Piano is hard work from beginning to forever.

Great - I finally broke 80 by shooting a 77 and then later a 79...

You say in your signature that you have a very high handicap. So which is it? grin

Is there an equivalent term for "sandbagger" in piano? wink

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Wow, how interesting; lots of stories. And lots of achievements, too!
I really enjoyed! thumb

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
E
E
Originally Posted by earlofmar
In 2013 I learned piano. Haven't decided what to do in 2014 yet!

Before I decided on piano last year, I was also thinking if taking guitar lessons but I didn't think I could manage both. So for 2014, I'm going to learn how to the play the guitar. A friend of mine is giving me his old guitar and since my teacher is officially on maternity leave, I asked if her husband can teach me guitar on the interim (her husband is a jazz guitarist and also gives lessons). I might be biting too much here but at least the guitar is free thumb

Adult beginner since January 2013. My only regret is that I didn't learn sooner.
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by ElleC
Before I decided on piano last year, I was also thinking if taking guitar lessons but I didn't think I could manage both. So for 2014, I'm going to learn how to the play the guitar. A friend of mine is giving me his old guitar and since my teacher is officially on maternity leave, I asked if her husband can teach me guitar on the interim (her husband is a jazz guitarist and also gives lessons). I might be biting too much here but at least the guitar is free thumb

ElleC, if your accomplishments on the piano so far are any indication, I'm sure you could learn to play an entire Jazz combo's worth of instruments all at once, and not even really break a sweat wink.

Just kidding, of course, but I'm sure you'll do great. Do not hesitate to post on SoundCloud when you manage to play something worth hearing on the guitar (which I'm sure will be soon)!

Plodding through piano music at a frustratingly slow pace since 9/2012.

Standard disclaimer: I teach many things. Piano is not one of them.
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ElleC
Originally Posted by earlofmar
In 2013 I learned piano. Haven't decided what to do in 2014 yet!

Do you believe I'm learning guitar? Yes, it's true. My kids are having guitar lessons, and they are teaching me... at home - which is always weird, but fun!-. With just 2 "lessons" I'm able to do the C, the E, and F. thumb
ElleC, try it!

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
2013 was my first full year back at taking lessons. I've really enjoyed lessons with this new teacher. Lessons are actually fun. I think she enjoys teaching me.

2013 was also the year I joined Piano World. Needless to say this has was a good decision. I've enjoyed the online recitals. I'm recording myself because I wanted to participate. And I know I wouldn't be otherwise.

All in all a good year.

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

28 years married and a few before that....my hubby is still my sweeetie smile

LOTS of recipes and wines....probably too many to list.
Tonight will be salmon and rucola risotto with a nice crisp White from Sicily smile

Rucola? This time of year we have Lactuca virosa or wild lettuce in the yard. Saute it and relax without the wine.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I had a busy year. I "retired" - actually went from full-time to half-time at work. But I don't seem to have more time for piano!

Four ABF quarterly Recitals:
1- Schumann Arabeske
2- Norton - PS, I Made This
3- Chopin Nocturne 37/1
4- Debussy Sunken Cathedral

Two pieces in the Mendelssohn Recital:
1- 38/6
2- 53/5

Three pieces in the Grieg Recital:
1- 57/2
2- 57/6
3- 62/2

One piece in the Chopin Mazurka Recital:
1- 6/1

Live recitals - I played the Arabeske twice:
1- teacher's recital in the Spring
2- Summerkeys in June

At our piano/Xmas party I played the Debussy Cathedral and the Chopin Mazurka. I also accompanied Laurie in two clarinet pieces - a Baermann piece and Elgar's Salut d'Amour.

So when I write it all down it does seem like a lot more than I remembered.

Next year? There's Joplin and Tchaikovsky that I already signed up for. Another Debussy prelude is in the works, and also another Schubert impromptu. And I'm going back to Summerkeys again!

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission