Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2173744 - 10/29/13 01:21 PM Summerkeys 2014 Schedule now Available
ClsscLib Online   content

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Northern VA, U.S.
At http://summerkeys.com/

Piano programs run all summer long, but if you have a S.O. who might be interested in one of the other programs while you are doing a piano course, consult the schedules for the various programs that are now up on the website.

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2173756 - 10/29/13 01:51 PM Re: Summerkeys 2014 Schedule now Available [Re: ClsscLib]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
Thanks for the reminder! Now to decide when to go. I've been the last week of July (bustling with activity) and the third week of June (quiet and relatively calm). But Lovely Laurie may be going with me this year, playing clarinet, so that means one of the clarinet weeks.

After it's over I'm going to walk home - literally - hoping to do a thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail...

Sam

#2173882 - 10/29/13 05:24 PM Re: Summerkeys 2014 Schedule now Available [Re: Sam S]
tangleweeds Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012

Loc: Portlandia
Originally Posted By: Sam S
After it's over I'm going to walk home - literally - hoping to do a thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail...

thumb thumb thumb

neglected piano blog

#2179675 - 11/09/13 04:16 PM Re: Summerkeys 2014 Schedule now Available [Re: ClsscLib]
EP Online   content

Loc: USA
So, anybody signed up yet? I'm planning to go in July, for the regular piano program and the jazz piano program.

I don't know if they're still doing this, but they told me if you signed up and paid your deposit before the end of November they'd still offer last year's tuition (it's going up $25 this year).

#2179706 - 11/09/13 05:51 PM Re: Summerkeys 2014 Schedule now Available [Re: EP]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Yes, I'm going in July too - my wife is going along for a clarinet week.

Sam

#2179774 - 11/09/13 08:31 PM Re: Summerkeys 2014 Schedule now Available [Re: ClsscLib]
EP Online   content

Maybe we'll have to have a PW meet-up.

#2187977 - 11/25/13 09:41 AM Re: Summerkeys 2014 Schedule now Available [Re: EP]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Yes, there is a discount if you apply before the end of November. So if you are certain that you want to go and can plan that far ahead, now would be a good time to register.

I don't really want to tell the whole world what week I am going (I'm not a fan of sharing too much personal detail online) but if anyone wants to know send me a PM. It would be neat to meet some PW members there.

Sam

#2188340 - 11/25/13 11:07 PM Re: Summerkeys 2014 Schedule now Available [Re: Sam S]
zillybug Online   content

I have gone the last 2 summers and absolutely loved it. However, I have always gone in June when there are not that many people there. My granddaughter's ballet recital is in June on the Sunday between the 2 weeks so that means I will have to go in July this year. A friend and I are going for 2 weeks this year- June 30-July 4 and July 7-11. We have not registered yet for Summerkeys but have put a deposit on a house for those weeks as I know that the rental houses go fast. Has anyone gone during either of those weeks? I am wondering how many people are usually there and performing. I still get very nervous playing in front of people. I did it the last 2 years because there were not that many people there. The first year went well but last year did not. My friend went with me last year and also loved it. Unlike me, she actually enjoys performing. We take lessons from the same teacher and are usually working on one piece together. Well, I have already told her she may be playing the 2nd movement of the Mozart Sonata for 4 hands in D with Bruce.
I have had Bruce both years as a teacher and I am hoping to have him again. He is just such a gifted teacher. If anyone from the forum is going to be there during either of those weeks it would be great to meet.
Thanks, Judy

#2200280 - 12/19/13 04:12 PM Re: Summerkeys 2014 Schedule now Available [Re: ClsscLib]

I've sent in a registration for the next-to last week.

Hope to see some of you there!

#2201100 - 12/21/13 06:38 PM Re: Summerkeys 2014 Schedule now Available [Re: ClsscLib]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Well, after due consideration my hubby and decided not to go to Summerkeys but to go to Vienna and Budapest this summer. Two reasons. First of all my husband's knee (old football injury) is not getting any better. So we decided to have this big trip we wanted to do for years. His family is from Hungary and I always wanted to go to Vienna. Secondly, I'm getting performance opportunities and piano friends here in Arizona. So maybe it's okay to skip Summerkeys this year. I had wonderful experience at Summerkeys and may go the year after. But not this year.
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

#2201128 - 12/21/13 07:44 PM Re: Summerkeys 2014 Schedule now Available [Re: ClsscLib]

Sounds like a wonderful trip, Farm Girl! Have fun.

#2201298 - 12/22/13 07:03 AM Re: Summerkeys 2014 Schedule now Available [Re: ClsscLib]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brighton Colorado
Enjoy the experience of Summerkeys. I'm not going this year but hope to return at some point.

Love to learn

#2265746 - 04/23/14 08:49 AM Re: Summerkeys 2014 Schedule now Available [Re: ClsscLib]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Bumping this old thread, since we have so many new people in the forums, and Spring has sprung, which means thoughts are returning to vacation! If you have never been to Summerkeys , its a lot of fun. I'm going this year again, early July, for my fourth time. There are plenty of old threads here at pianoworld about it. Here is one I started way back in 2011 with pictures:
Summerkeys 2001 trip

Basically its a music camp for adults in Lubec, Maine. Piano was the first instrument taught at the camp, and still the most popular. They have expanded though, to include a lot of different instruments, photography and dance.

I have a great time every time I go, both as a vacation and playing a lot of music on a lot of different pianos. Taking lessons from a different teacher is a plus, as is playing in front of other adults. The atmosphere is very supportive and the learning experience is top notch.

I have no connection with the camp, just a satisfied customer. And, of course, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. I find it best to work up a couple of things to take and play for the teachers and the other students, with the idea that I will play one of them at the end of the week in the "recital". I suppose you could go with nothing prepared, but that's not my style!

And its not only classical, they also teach popular and jazz music too - playing from fake books and doing your own thing.

Lubec and the surrounding area are very picturesque and beautiful. It's as far "down east" as you can get in Maine. Acros the bridge is Campobello Island in Canada, where FDR had a summer house (that you can visit).

For spouses, there is plenty of sight-seeing to do during the day, or hiking or biking. I've alway wanted to take a boat out into the bay, but have never done it! There is also a golf course over on Campobello Island - there was a spouse there last year that spent every day golfing. Or if your spouse plays another instrument, both of you can attend the camp. This is what Laurie and I do - this year she is playing clarinet, and we're working on something to play together.

So, ask questions if you have them. Above all, have some fun this summer!

Sam

#2265749 - 04/23/14 08:52 AM Re: Summerkeys 2014 Schedule now Available [Re: ClsscLib]
Ohio_Mark Offline

This is on my bucket list for sure - probably not going to be this year though.
What is the range of skill levels?

#2265771 - 04/23/14 10:06 AM Re: Summerkeys 2014 Schedule now Available [Re: Ohio_Mark]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Ohio_Mark
This is on my bucket list for sure - probably not going to be this year though.
What is the range of skill levels?

Any skill level. In the three years that I have been I have seen everything from absolute beginner to expert.

Sam

#2265857 - 04/23/14 01:55 PM Re: Summerkeys 2014 Schedule now Available [Re: ClsscLib]

Last year I made the mistake of not playing in the recital. I won't miss it this year.

Mrs. CL is going again too to take in the photography class again. That course is superb in its own right.

I wish I were leaving tomorrow. I need the break!

#2266051 - 04/23/14 08:27 PM Re: Summerkeys 2014 Schedule now Available [Re: Sam S]
Greener Offline

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014

Loc: Toronto

Sam

Have you read a Walk in the Woods, Sam? It is a Great book.

I've looked seriously at Summer Keys. It may become my second choice to Portugal this year. Then I would really have some questions. Both are a long shot so do not want to announce anything. If things change I will let you know. Any time is fine for me smokin

#2266071 - 04/23/14 08:56 PM Re: Summerkeys 2014 Schedule now Available [Re: Greener]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Greener

Sam

Have you read a Walk in the Woods, Sam? It is a Great book.

I've looked seriously at Summer Keys. It may become my second choice to Portugal this year. Then I would really have some questions. Both are a long shot so do not want to announce anything. If things change I will let you know. Any time is fine for me smokin

Yes, I've read it. Did you know that Robert Redford is currently filming a movie based on the book?

Sam

#2266305 - 04/24/14 07:05 AM Re: Summerkeys 2014 Schedule now Available [Re: ClsscLib]
Greener Offline

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014

Loc: Toronto
No, I didn't know that. I'll definitely want to watch it, as I really enjoyed the book.

Thanks for advising of this.

#2266562 - 04/24/14 06:47 PM Re: Summerkeys 2014 Schedule now Available [Re: ClsscLib]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
A Walk Across America starts going down the Appalachian Trail.

I guess they just had to put a Brown Bear on the cover of that book? There can be brown, Black bears. But shure looks like a Brown Bear to me? Black bears are nice. Brown Bears are just plain mean. That's where Grizzly's and Kodiak's come from.
BTW: There are no Brown Bears in the Appalachians. I'm an expert in Bears. If it weren't for the NoNo hair remover. They'd still be chasing me around the continent. My feet aren't that big! Idiots! Don't tell them where I'm hiding.

Edited by rnaple (04/24/14 08:31 PM)

#2266630 - 04/24/14 08:57 PM Re: Summerkeys 2014 Schedule now Available [Re: rnaple]
Whizbang Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: rnaple
I guess they just had to put a Brown Bear on the cover of that book? There can be brown, Black bears. But shure looks like a Brown Bear to me? Black bears are nice. Brown Bears are just plain mean. That's where Grizzly's and Kodiak's come from.

If you're going to spend any time near the Appalachians, you have to know how to deal with bears.

First, if you're hiking, make sure to wear bells, so that the bears can hear you coming, and carry pepper spray, which can act as a deterrent.

Second, you need to keep an eye out for signs that a bear is around. Tree bark that's been ripped off. Know your bear droppings.

You can tell black bear droppings because they're full of nuts and berries.

You can tell brown bear droppings because they're full of bells and pepper spray.

#2277227 - 05/16/14 08:42 PM Re: Summerkeys 2014 Schedule now Available [Re: ClsscLib]
Turn-Table Offline

Loc: United States
Bumping up to let people know that I'll be attending Summer Keys for the first time this year. Getting excited and nervous at the same time.

Also want to thank Sam for posting such detailed accounts of his experiences there--I really got a sense of what it'd be like to go there.

#2277496 - 05/17/14 02:20 PM Re: Summerkeys 2014 Schedule now Available [Re: Turn-Table]

I'm sure you will have a great time. I am going for the 3rd time this summer- the first 2 weeks of July. Was a little nervous the first time too but everyone is so nice and supportive from the teachers to the other students and even the townspeople are welcoming. I also went the first time after reading Sam's great report. Have a wonderful time.
Judy

#2277785 - 05/18/14 05:59 AM Re: Summerkeys 2014 Schedule now Available [Re: Turn-Table]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Turn-Table
Bumping up to let people know that I'll be attending Summer Keys for the first time this year. Getting excited and nervous at the same time.

Also want to thank Sam for posting such detailed accounts of his experiences there--I really got a sense of what it'd be like to go there.

Have fun - I'll be there July 7th. Now, if you have a bad time, it's all my fault...

Sam

#2278867 - 05/20/14 01:54 PM Re: Summerkeys 2014 Schedule now Available [Re: ClsscLib]
Turn-Table Offline

Judy and Sam: Thank you for the encouragement. I'll be going in June. I realize that--from what people have posted--I won't be going during the high season, but I'm from the West Coast and will be combining Summer Keys with family-related events then in the Boston area.

#2279455 - 05/21/14 10:43 PM Re: Summerkeys 2014 Schedule now Available [Re: Turn-Table]

I went the first 2 times during June and really liked that it was quieter then. It made me more comfortable playing in front of only a few people. There are some very nice people from San Francisco that usually always go in June so there will probably be others from the west coast there. I will miss seeing them this year. The only reason that I am not going in June is because my grand daughter's ballet recital is on a Sunday right between the 2 weeks in June. I went alone the first year but now go with a friend. We live in upstate NY so we drive but do it over 2 days since it is about a 9 1/2 hour drive. Have a great time at Summerkeys and in Boston. My friend and I went to see Bruce for a lesson in NYC a few weeks ago. She has gone a few other times this year. Once was enough for me. The older I get the more I dislike big cities, especially NY. If Bruce taught in Boston during the year I would probably go see him more since I much prefer Boston to NY and we live about 2 1/2 to 3 hours from both NYC and Boston.

#2279547 - 05/22/14 06:52 AM Re: Summerkeys 2014 Schedule now Available [Re: zillybug]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

The one time that I went in June I really liked it - smaller class and I got to talk to everyone. But Laurie is going this year, so we are restricted to the Clarinet weeks. Looks like Mandolin is going to be there that week too, so should be very lively!

Sam

#2283064 - 05/30/14 12:43 AM Re: Summerkeys 2014 Schedule now Available [Re: ClsscLib]
Turn-Table Offline

Judy and Sam: Thank you for the advice and sorry for the late reply.

I'm not really too concerned about going there in the low season; in fact, as a first-timer, going there when it's not too crowded might help me ease into this new experience. Besides, I really have no choice; once the dates for the family get-together in Boston was set, choosing which week to attend became obvious.

I'm somewhat concerned, however, about travel logistics. I thought about taking a flight to Bangor, but in the end, booked my flight for non-stop to Boston. Right now I have budgeted the entire day Sunday for driving up from Boston to Maine so I arrive in time for the Sunday evening orientation. I hope that is a realistic goal.

#2283171 - 05/30/14 05:40 AM Re: Summerkeys 2014 Schedule now Available [Re: Turn-Table]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I drive from Georgia to Lubec in two days. Unless you are not used to driving, I think you can get from Boston to Lubec in a day :-) Unless you stop at LL Bean!

The real down east starts once you get past the turn off to Bar Harbor...

Sam

#2283192 - 05/30/14 07:06 AM Re: Summerkeys 2014 Schedule now Available [Re: ClsscLib]

We drove DC to Lubec in two days, not pushing hard. There's a lot of Maine to drive through, but it's pretty.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
140 registered (accordeur, Alpiano, *windowlicker*, 36251, 39 invisible), 1709 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75921 Members
42 Forums
156894 Topics
2305279 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
melody first piece in schumann's album for the young
by hobby
25 minutes 35 seconds ago
Your favorite composer I may have never heard of??
by scottymike1965-purchaser@yahoo.com
26 minutes 7 seconds ago
Tablet setup for ultra portable rig
by Sand Tiger
28 minutes 22 seconds ago
the magic of Raymond Lewenthal
by Michael Sayers
54 minutes 50 seconds ago
Stabilise tuning on old grand
by michaelopolis
Today at 02:18 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission