2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, 4 invisible), 1,288 guests, and 287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 22 of 28 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 27 28
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Olek
Originally Posted by Maximillyan
Originally Posted by Olek
You raised a step Max, sound better and definitively more robust.

Keep the good work.

BTW are the high treble hammer covered with leather ?

Thanks, Isaac.
I shall try to grow taller.
Upper hammers not covered with leather but I do not like it's shrill sound too. I laid a strip of cloth(cotton) = 2mm in unwork(without sound) string sector, but it has not changed the sound of the high notes. I unfortunately was not able to remove the grooves on a hammers using sandpaper yet. I plan to do it.
Thank you, for watching and your praise for me. I know that it is far from perfect but I will continue on
Regards,Max

Yes Max the strip cut in the partials and tone openness, but leave the hard attack.
You can shape the treble with rough paper 80 to get a better shape it should help. I would use the glass file to finish. The hammers are may be heavily lacquered and need some needing.

Thanks, Isaac. I also thought to do it. I have not worked with the action this Grand. I guess all hammers must be sanded because grooves here. Thank your for advice

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Sounds as Bach to "digit" or the upright piano is not the essence of this movie. One performer, different musical instruments, classical music. Tastes differ. The idea of the film to convey for a simple layman and professional musicians that music great genius survived the centuries. Bach is very much "alive", even if it is a digital piano "Yamaha"
I believe that it successfully managed Nastya. Nastya is very young girl pianist (Uralsk) is the holder of a silver medal awarded to her at Young Republican competition piano Kazakhstan. The contest was held in end March 2013 Pavlodar city
Upright piano "Rosler" on which plays Nastya most of "his life" was in a state of neglect. In the room where it was stored was damp, no heating more than 3 years. Max did everything I could. But can we talk about the quality of the temperament of this acustic piano?
http://youtu.be/y5B8xS_KtkA

R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Vast improvement, Max. Quite heart warming.

Amanda Reckonwith
Concert & Recording tuner-tech, London, England.
"in theory, practice and theory are the same thing. In practice, they're not." - Lawrence P. 'Yogi' Berra.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by rxd
Vast improvement, Max. Quite heart warming.

Dear,rxd. If you knew how I waited hear this words. But I knew that "legs feed the wolf," so every day I had trained at tuning. It was difficult. Was afraid that I don't have progress. But I could not quit doing it. I knew to I have no moral right loose yours trust. Because you many made for me.
2013 year went to the Max nor empty, because there are rxd's message .
rxd,thank you to believing in me.
Regards, yours Max
http://youtu.be/SYQ0gns5sxo

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bkw58
Showing improvement. Keep up the good progress, Max.

Thanks,Bob
I shall try
Regards,yours Max

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Upright piano "RIGA" (1970- 75) Max's tuning, is it tuning better?
This piano never tuning and no regulation an action. Many hammers had not very ride. A head's hammer had groove in a felt. Max did all and again did a tuning. Good pleasure in time a looking a clip
http://youtu.be/IZUlnA6j8TQ

R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Two steps forward, three steps back.

Don't worry, this happens in the learning process, it helps to be aware, though.

Concentrate on unisons and lever technique.

Amanda Reckonwith
Concert & Recording tuner-tech, London, England.
"in theory, practice and theory are the same thing. In practice, they're not." - Lawrence P. 'Yogi' Berra.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by rxd
Two steps forward, three steps back.

Don't worry, this happens in the learning process, it helps to be aware, though.

Dear, rxd. Here I had to work more with T-bar because it is very tight pins. It was the hardest, "RIGA" in my life lately.It's stood without service for more than forty years.
For me anyway is a great honor for your appreciation of my tunings "about steps" (3-2) = 1!
No a despair. Max goes uphill again, because do not have rights lose confidence his London's curator.
Please see with 18 minutes this film.
http://youtu.be/e4mvEj4ldpo

Last edited by Maximillyan; 12/23/13 10:26 AM.

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

Good morning, Max.

Thank you for the video.

A couple of weeks ago you posted two recital performances: one (I think) on a Blüthner that you tuned, and another on (I think) a Yamaha that someone else tuned. You asked us to compare the two tunings. I cannot find where you posted these, but it seems like you wrote in the post that the Yamaha, to your ear, sounded either dead or lifeless when compared to the Blüthner.

Although the Yamaha recording was not the best quality, it was clear that its unisons were mostly clean whereas the Blüthner unisons were not.

So, I am wondering: Are you intentionally tuning one string in each of the unisons slightly flat or sharp of the other(s) to produce a "wave" or "beat" in order to make the unison sound more "lively"?

Many years ago, certain piano technicians wrote articles promoting this as a technique. Not that you have necessarily read these, but I am curious if you are trying to tune the unisons a little "unclean" to give these a little more "life"?

Last edited by bkw58; 12/23/13 11:14 AM. Reason: clarity

Bob W.
Piano Technician (Retired since 2006)
Conway, Arkansas
www.pianotechno.blogspot.com
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Good morning, Max.

Thank you for the video.

A couple of weeks ago you posted two recital performances: one (I think) on a Blüthner that you tuned, and another on (I think) a Yamaha that someone else tuned. You asked us to compare the two tunings. I cannot find where you posted these, but it seems like you wrote in the post that the Yamaha, to your ear, sounded either dead or lifeless when compared to the Blüthner.

Although the Yamaha recording was not the best quality, it was clear that its unisons were mostly clean whereas the Blüthner unisons were not.

So, I am wondering: Are you intentionally tuning one string in each of the unisons slightly flat or sharp of the other(s) to produce a "wave" or "beat" in order to make the unison sound more "lively"?

Many years ago, certain piano technicians wrote articles promoting this as a technique. Not that you have necessarily read these, but I am curious if you are trying to tune the unisons a little "unclean" to give these a little more "life"?

Thank you for your message ,Bob.
I am pleased that seen my movie. Everything you wrote is clearly true. I tuning only Bluthner with "live" as you wrote unison. Yamaha in town Pavlodar made metropolitan tuner tuned " which I wrote to the ear, sounded dead or lifeless compared to Bluthner".
I was not trying to do good correct unisons without "wave" or "beat" , but it turned in the final work it's. One of the strings I really do little sharp (upper) , but not enough. The grand piano played a lot before the contest kids and it's a little loose it's tone. I now always will strive to clean unison and made it's ideal .
But I know that if the strings have the spirit of the accordion - it is livelier than pure medieval clavichord .( joke)
Regards, Max

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Thanks, Max.

I follow you (I think.)

The techs who advocated the technique actually aimed for just a little "wave" in the unison, again, to give it more "life." I suspect that most techs never bought into this. A unison that is not clean is really no unison at all: uni meaning one; unison signifying of one sound.

Echoing rxd's advice: Honing good hammer technique and creating clean, stable unisons isn't easy, but in the end, it makes the difference between a mediocre tuner and great one. Both skills are an integral part of the art of what we do.

Best wishes for the new year, Max.

Last edited by bkw58; 12/23/13 12:41 PM. Reason: typos

Bob W.
Conway, Arkansas
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Thanks, Max.

I follow you (I think.)

The techs who advocated the technique actually aimed for just a little "wave" in the unison, again, to give it more "life." I suspect that most techs never bought into this. A unison that is not clean is really no unison at all: uni meaning one; unison signifying of one sound.

Echoing rxd's advice: Honing good hammer technique and creating clean, stable unisons isn't easy, but in the end, it makes the difference between a mediocre tuner and great one. Both skills are an integral part of the art of what we do.

Best wishes for the new year, Max.

Bob is a great honor for I'm. If you follow me.
Although the "unison" is Latin for "one", but there is no two like of water droplets in a nature . Therefore, small mutations unison I shall still admit. But this should not be a law. And make it's every days for any pianos always
Bob and rxd is my main teachers. I have to listen to their advice and follow it's if I'm think they are right.
To will all good, Bob in the New Year!
Best wishes too

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by rxd

I'm think it's most important for Max today
Regards,

G
G
It is impossible to critique your temperment. Put together a video of you actually setting the temperment.

Making the world a better sounding place, one piano at a time...
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gary Fowler
It is impossible to critique your temperment. Put together a video of you actually setting the temperment.

Sorry but I have this video only

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gary Fowler
Put together a video of you actually setting the temperment.

Is there no temperment also?
http://youtu.be/ahAu-4ZSnwc

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Dear technicians, do your strictly verdict for Max's temperament, please
http://youtu.be/y5txSA4hT1Y

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
This shows the greatest improvement thus far, Max. Looks like you took rxd's advice and have been working toward cleaner unisons. I detect a few beating unisons -mostly in the high treble. Keep working on these. Great progress, Max.

Bob W.
Conway, Arkansas
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
This shows the greatest improvement thus far, Max. Looks like you took rxd's advice and have been working toward cleaner unisons. I detect a few beating unisons -mostly in the high treble. Keep working on these. Great progress, Max.

Thank,Bob. I am very happy that I have a motion
Regards, Max

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Maximillyan
Dear technicians, do your strictly verdict for Max's temperament, please
http://youtu.be/y5txSA4hT1Y

Sounds beautiful. Did he play it transposed to A minor or did you tune at A=415?

Kees

Page 22 of 28 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 27 28

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission