Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2201809 - 12/23/13 10:29 AM Tempo on the metronome
ranunculus Offline

I'd like to know the suggested tempo for these pieces:

Beethoven's Pathetique (all the movements)
Rahmaninoff's Prelude in C sharp minor (both the lento and the agitato part)
Brahms' Rhapsody op 79 no 2
Mozart's K.282 Sonata no4 3d movement
Haydn's keynoard concerto in D major (movement 3)

Can someone help me with any or all of these?

Thank you!

Edited by ranunculus (12/24/13 10:14 AM)
Currently: Bach's Prelude and Fugue #XVI, Beethoven's Pathetique, Rachmaninoff's Prelude in C sharp minor, Chopin's etude op 25 no 2, Chzerny' etude 41, Brahms' Rhapsody op 79 no 2, Mozart's K.282 Sonata no4 (movement 3), Haydn's keynoard concerto in D major (movement 3)

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2201813 - 12/23/13 10:40 AM Re: Exact tempo on the metronome [Re: ranunculus]
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
One can only make suggestions because there is no "exact tempo" for any piece; even composer's metronome markings are (generally considered) guidelines, only. More than that, the tempo of a piece can also change even within that piece or movement of a piece, depending on many factors. To suggest tempi for these works might be more restrictive than helpful.

Rather than suggest tempi, I recommend that you listen to some performances (they are all available on YouTube) to hear what professionals do.

You will immediately hear that even the professional pianists do not all play these works at the same tempo and some of their tempi vary within a given work. Using the Brahms G minor Rhapsody as an example, these are the tempi (MM = quarter note) of some professionals :
- Gould - 92
- Rubinstein - 126
- Katchen - 132
- Lupu 116
- Argerich - 112 (with considerable changes within the work)

A similar range of tempi - sometimes an even greater range - will apply to just about every piece of music. The performer has to choose the tempo that best suits his/her concept of the piece.

You must decide which tempo best responds to your concept of how the piece should be interpreted, but the playing of "experts" can be a guideline to give you an acceptable range of tempi.

Regards,

#2201977 - 12/23/13 05:11 PM Re: Exact tempo on the metronome [Re: ranunculus]
Brad Hoehne Offline

Loc: Ohio
Very few works in the classical repertoire have "fixed" tempos. The tempos that are used are subjective interpretations of the meanings of words like "allegro" or "presto." It is part of the art of the pianist to determine what sounds best to them.

Listen to a bunch of recordings- there are many on YouTube for the pieces you list- and determine for yourself the number of beats per minute the performer you enjoy most is using.

I played the Pathetique a few years ago and my tempos were around 70 for the Grave section and around 80 to the half note (insanely hard) for the "Allegro Con Brio" parts of Mov. 1, around 60 per eighth note in Mov 2. and between 92 and 100 the half note for the 3rd mov.

Edited by Brad Hoehne (12/23/13 05:24 PM)

Currently working on:
Rach. Prelude Op 32 #12
Mozart Piano Sonata #17, K570
Villa-Lobos, Bachianas Brasileiras #4
Playing by ear and "filling out" pop tunes

#2202058 - 12/23/13 10:29 PM Re: Exact tempo on the metronome [Re: ranunculus]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
If you discover the "exact" tempo of any of them, please message me the results!

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#2202202 - 12/24/13 06:23 AM Re: Exact tempo on the metronome [Re: ranunculus]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Czerny studied the Beethoven's op. 13 with the composer (as well as many other works). In later years, he provided metronome markings for the sonatas four different times. To me, they are as close as you can get to knowing what metronome markings Beethoven himself might have given.

Here they are, in order of publication:

Grave (eighth note) - 58, 58, 46, 63
Allegro di molto e con brio (half note) - 152, 152, 144, 144
Adagio cantabile (eighth note) - 54, 60, 54, 60
Allegro (half note) - 112, 100, 96, 104

I don't think it is known why he changed them over time. Personally, I think I'd give the first ones the most weight, since they were the freshest after the experience with Beethoven.

#2202291 - 12/24/13 10:19 AM Re: Exact tempo on the metronome [Re: ranunculus]
ranunculus Offline

Thank you, I edited my post since you're all right: "suggested" tempo is preferable since there's no "exact", but the question stays the same.

I've listened to many interpretations on youtube but I can't understand their tempo as in a number. That's what I'm asking for!

About Pathetique's 1st movement (allegro section), I play it around 200 quarter note (I prefer it than half note for some reason). So it is 100 for half note (my best speed). I think 144-152 is too hard smirk

And what about Rachmaninoff's prelude?

Edited by ranunculus (12/24/13 10:19 AM)
Currently: Bach's Prelude and Fugue #XVI, Beethoven's Pathetique, Rachmaninoff's Prelude in C sharp minor, Chopin's etude op 25 no 2, Chzerny' etude 41, Brahms' Rhapsody op 79 no 2, Mozart's K.282 Sonata no4 (movement 3), Haydn's keynoard concerto in D major (movement 3)

#2202326 - 12/24/13 11:20 AM Re: Exact tempo on the metronome [Re: ranunculus]
joflah Offline

Loc: St. Louis, MO, USA
Originally Posted By: ranunculus

I've listened to many interpretations on youtube but I can't understand their tempo as in a number. That's what I'm asking for!

With an interpretation on youtube, you can get an average MM number for a section of a piece by measuring the time it takes to play it, with the youtube time bar or with a stopwatch, in seconds. Multiply the number of measures in the section by the number of beats per measure to get the total number of beats in the section. Then divide the total number of beats by the time in seconds, and multiply the result by 60 to get beats per minute.

For example, Menuet from French Suite #6, section A, with repeat, by Andras Schiff, in this youtube posting,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7VtJxq_fzc
runs from 8:59 to 9:27 by the time bar, making 28 seconds. The piece is in 3/4 time, with 16 measures * 2 (for the repeat) * 3 beats/measure = 96 beats total. 96 beats in 28 seconds * 60 seconds per minute gives an MM of 1/4 note = 206.
Summarizing,
MM = Measures * (beats/measure) / Time(sec) * (60 sec/minute)

You can get the measure count from the score. You should make sure the performer is taking all the repeats.

If you have an electronic metronome with tap-in, and you can synchronize to the beats, you can measure it just by setting the number of beats/measure on the metronome and tapping in.

#2202351 - 12/24/13 12:21 PM Re: Exact tempo on the metronome [Re: ranunculus]
Arghhh Offline
1000 Post Club Member

There is a website that has a tap feature - a.bestmetronome.com

Don't click on the big START box, but on the TAP box directly below it. Then while listening to the recording you can tap using the space bar for each beat and it will tell you what tempo you're tapping at.

#2202706 - 12/25/13 09:42 AM Re: Exact tempo on the metronome [Re: ranunculus]
ranunculus Offline

Aha! Thank you so much!

Merry Christmas!

smile

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
171 registered (ajames, 89grand, 36251, 53 invisible), 1393 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75963 Members
42 Forums
157091 Topics
2306972 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Could you please help my son choose a composition?
by christineka
20 minutes 39 seconds ago
New old Vose and Sons Upright Piano
by RT White
Today at 11:01 AM
Kawai ES100 vs Kawai MP7
by gbitw
Today at 08:28 AM
Better Practice, Hands Together or Separate etc.
by Sionos
Today at 08:04 AM
Timing of the trill Invention no 1
by DreamOfSleeping
Today at 03:55 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission