Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
134 registered (36251, anamnesis, 36 invisible), 1631 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Forum Stats
76981 Members
42 Forums
159223 Topics
2338943 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Topic Options
#2201981 - 12/23/13 05:33 PM Piano arrangement of a piece I wrote for string quartet
Steve Chandler Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Urbandale, Iowa
Hi All,

I've transcribed a movement I wrote for string quartet for piano. I must say the process of arranging this piece was harder than I thought it would be. It relies on lots of sustained notes (something string instruments do well but pianos not so much) and some of the harmony is widely spread making fitting it into two hands a challenge. There's one spot that I can barely manage and the shifting harmony makes using the pedal a bad idea. Still the piano does do something better than most string quartets, intonation (too bad it's equal temperament). laugh

Sadly this piece hasn't been well performed by any string quartet so if anyone knows one that would like to give it a go I'd be thrilled.

But enough of that I love the piece, it describes the feelings of falling in love. The chromatic middle section is dizzying in its harmonic shifts. I hope you enjoy. Sheet music is available.

https://soundcloud.com/pantonality/falling-in-love

Edited by Steve Chandler (12/23/13 05:40 PM)

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#2202106 - 12/24/13 12:56 AM Re: Piano arrangement of a piece I wrote for string quartet [Re: Steve Chandler]
stalefleas Offline

This is really nice. I really like the opening/closing theme.

A couple criticisms: The first key change sounds like something out of Bach mixed with progressive rock, and felt stylistically out of place. The middle section has some very nice moments, but is weaker than the main theme.

Some other things I liked: Very nice harmonies. I really like the use of these extended, jazzy kinds of chords outside of a jazz context. There are some very neat chord changes in the middle section that sound like a blend of romantic and jazz styles without seeming like they "belong" to either, of that makes any sense.

I would very much like to hear this played on strings, it is too bad you have not found performers who have done this piece justice.

#2202340 - 12/24/13 11:59 AM Re: Piano arrangement of a piece I wrote for string quartet [Re: Steve Chandler]
Steve Chandler Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Urbandale, Iowa
Hi Stalefleas,

Thank you for your comments. I shouldn't have to explain myself, the music should stand on its own so in that respect it's less successful than I would prefer, but doing so my illustrate a point I made in another thread about how the intent of a piece informs the execution thereof.

The piece depicts the act of choosing to romantically love another. I believe there is an aspect of choice involved in the act. We may not be able to help who we feel attraction for, but getting deeply involved is a choice. However, once that choice is made made there is a sense of euphoria and also vulnerability. The choice itself is a watershed event in one's life.

The opening theme expresses the beauty of feeling affection. All of the significant harmonic shifts are intended to express the combination of euphoria and vulnerability involved in choosing to become romantically attached to another. If anything it is a moment of weakness and depicting that is what the middle section is all about. (if that makes any sense)

I'm still trying to figure out what/where the first key change is.

#2202485 - 12/24/13 05:41 PM Re: Piano arrangement of a piece I wrote for string quartet [Re: Steve Chandler]
Tim Adrianson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

A very straightforward, accessible composition, Steve. For me, it comes of as a song written by a sophisticated "tunesmith", such as Stephen Sondheim, Billy Strayhorn, or Leonard Bernstein. The opening and closing would be singable with moderate effort, but the "bridge" is quite complex and would require a lot of study to get it right. That's what makes it more interesting -- the ambivalence and mixture of emotion that results from not-so-obvious harmonic and melodic choices in an extended development section. I definitely can hear the string "colors" in my mind's- eye, and I believe you could attain a very effective piano arrangement with the more subtle voicings associated with an acoustic piano. Briefly put, very effective; thanks for sharing it!

Oh, and a Merry Christmas to you and yours!

#2202823 - 12/25/13 03:30 PM Re: Piano arrangement of a piece I wrote for string quartet [Re: Steve Chandler]
stalefleas Offline

Originally Posted By: Steve Chandler

I'm still trying to figure out what/where the first key change is.

I mean the transition into the middle section.

I like your concept, by the way, I think it informs the piece. That's what liner notes are for!

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What music do play for your partner/husband/wife
/sweetie?

by Johan B
11/20/14 04:51 PM
One for you soundboard gurus...
by RonTuner
11/20/14 03:08 PM
Yamaha YDP-S51 or Roland F130R?
by Vetyver
11/20/14 02:35 PM
Musical Neighborhood?
by DancerJ
11/20/14 02:01 PM
Dream Piano Search & Purchase
by Miguel Rey
11/20/14 01:00 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission