2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
39 members (Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 10 invisible), 1,155 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 29 of 98 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 97 98
P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
I do believe, that in addition to her other many talents, our Miss Elisa Bonaparte was rumored to have invented the fork, directly after all that nonsense with the Pope.

Robin Meloy Goldsby
www.goldsby.de
Available June 18th, 2021--Piano Girl Playbook: Notes on a Musical Life
Also by RMG: Piano Girl, A Memoir; Waltz of the Asparagus People; Rhythm; Manhattan Roadtrip
Music by RMG available on all platforms
RMG is a Steinway Artist
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
The things you would never think to look up, if it weren't for "Weddings." Take forks, for a perfect example. Pitchforks and two-tined barbeque forks were known in ancient times and were even mentioned in the Bible, although I am practically sure that it was the French who invented the cocktail fork.

Their introduction into Northern Europe was not without resistance, and even controversy:

"The fork's adoption in northern Europe was slower. Its use was first described in English by Thomas Coryat in 1611, but for many years it was viewed as an unmanly Italian affectation. Some writers of the Roman Catholic Church expressly disapproved of its use, seeing it as "excessive delicacy:

"God in his wisdom has provided man with natural forks — his fingers. Therefore it is an insult to Him to substitute artificial metallic forks for them when eating."

[Note, that the piano had not yet been invented (though the cocktail party already existed), and the table manners of musicians playing stringed instruments of the violin family were beneath the notice of the authorities, being out of sight on a balcony.]

"It was not until the 18th century that the fork became commonly used in Great Britain, although some sources say forks were common in France, England and Sweden already by the early 1600s. The curved fork that is used in most parts of the world today, was developed in Germany in the mid 18th century. The standard four-tine design became current in the early nineteenth century."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fork

And after all, bathing did not catch on in England until the time of Queen Victoria.

Last edited by Jeff Clef; 08/10/10 11:57 AM.

Clef

P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Well. If only the wedding guitarist had known all of this, he could have pummeled that caterer with information. Perhaps Madame Bonaparte had something to do with the curved fork.

Or the tuning fork.

Never mind.

Robin Meloy Goldsby
www.goldsby.de
Also by RMG: Piano Girl, A Memoir; Waltz of the Asparagus People; Rhythm; Manhattan Roadtrip
RMG is a Steinway Artist
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I try to reuse as much as possible, something my wife has urged on me. So I have a little plastic bag with plastic utensils and napkins in it. It comes in handy, since I work during dinner time. By the time I get to eat, I occasionally would have to scrounge around for them, or eat with my fingers, something I do not want to do if I might have to touch the piano again.

Semipro Tech
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
But, there's more:

"In Perrault's... fairy tale of La Belle au bois dormant (1697), each of the fairies invited for the christening is presented with a "Splendid Fork Holder.""
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fork

Yes, "Sleeping Beauty," the French fairy tale whose long-expired copyright so inspired the Disney studio. You will note that the curse which was pronounced by the uninvited fairy was provoked because she was NOT presented with a 'splendid fork holder.' They do not mention if she played the string bass, but they don't say she didn't.

In those days, people brought their own fork to dinner, in a nice box with their spoon and dinner knife. This is the gift the evil fairy did not receive, to their woe.

So. The bass player's ire has a long resonance... and the French, of all people, who know how to behave at the table, certainly ought to have known better.

Clef

I'm sorry, no puns or jokes today.,, but i do send good wishes.

I am moved.. residing in a vast house that is perfect for the piano. lots of work.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
And, "Yesterday in Wedding History:"

"Yuri Ivanovich Malenchenko, a Ukrainian-Russian cosmonaut, became the first person to marry in space, on August 10, 2003, when he married Ekaterina Dmitrieva, who was in Texas, while he was 240 miles over New Zealand, on the International Space Station."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuri_Malenchenko

Clef

P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
I love that a woman named Ekaterina living in Texas can marry a man who is hovering over New Zealand in outer space.

Who played THAT gig?

Things are looking good for 2011—just booked my first June wedding.

Congrats on the move, Apple! Vast sounds good to me. We don't have nearly enough house for our instruments. A grand piano, a studio upright, a set of drums, two double basses, numerous electric basses, a couple of guitars, congas, a Yamaha keyboard, and too many other percussion instruments to name. Oh, and a flute and a piccolo, but they don't count. Sometimes I feel like I live in a music store. So I ENVY your huge house! Enjoy it.

Robin Meloy Goldsby
www.goldsby.de
RMG is a Steinway Artist
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Piano Girl RMG
I love that a woman named Ekaterina living in Texas can marry a man who is hovering over New Zealand in outer space.

Who played THAT gig?

Things are looking good for 2011—just booked my first June wedding.

Congrats on the move, Apple! Vast sounds good to me. We don't have nearly enough house for our instruments. A grand piano, a studio upright, a set of drums, two double basses, numerous electric basses, a couple of guitars, congas, a Yamaha keyboard, and too many other percussion instruments to name. Oh, and a flute and a piccolo, but they don't count. Sometimes I feel like I live in a music store. So I ENVY your huge house! Enjoy it.

Just don't forget, you have a date with your Piano World fans in June 2011! Our European Tour is shaping up to be an exciting event, and you are definitely part of it :-)

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
public-inquiries@hq.nasa.gov

Dear NASA,

According to a recent item on Wiki:

"Yuri Ivanovich Malenchenko, a Ukrainian-Russian cosmonaut, became the first person to marry in space, on August 10, 2003, when he married Ekaterina Dmitrieva, who was in Texas, while he was 240 miles over New Zealand, on the International Space Station."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuri_Malenchenko

I have a query from wedding musician Robin Goldsby regarding this event:

"I love that a woman named Ekaterina living in Texas can marry a man who is hovering over New Zealand in outer space. Who played THAT gig?

"Things are looking good for 2011—just booked my first June wedding."

RHYTHM: A Novel
RMG is a Steinway Artist

Robin is the originator of the widely-read thread, "Let's Talk Weddings," on the "Piano Corner- Non-Classical" forum, on the website, https://pianoworld.com . If you are able to provide any information on these historic space nuptials (especially the music), I'm sure it would be of great interest to the readers.

Some people have wondered where they had the reception, and where they went for the honeymoon, but that is, of course, more private. Still, the music for the first space wedding is part of history. Any assistance would be appreciated.

I personally wondered if Mr. Malenchenko viewed the Perseid meteor shower from space--- what a nice anniversary observance.

Thanks,

J. Clef

Last edited by Jeff Clef; 08/12/10 03:12 PM.

Clef

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

let's see. 'we' have 2 electric keyboards, 4 guitars, a ukelele, a flute, a trombone, a church organ, a grand, some recorders and percussion instruments for ensemble.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Any of the Somewhere songs would do. Somewhere in Time, Somewhere Out There, (Somewhere) Over the Rainbow.

Frank, the Piano World event is firmly on the books—no wedding could ever get in the way of that! Although I might bring a bride along for my reading/concert---she would be a great visual aid.

So looking forward to meeting some of you.

Robin Meloy Goldsby
www.goldsby.de
RMG is a Steinway Artist
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Piano Girl RMG
The wedding couple wanted (OF COURSE) the Pachelbel Canon.

There's quite a funny comedian ranting about the Pachelbel here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdxkVQy7QLM

I had not heard this one until this week. I spent the entire week training on a piece of Army financial software.

In the meantime, my hints that my family should surprise me with a garklein went completely unnoticed. Guess I'm going to have to buy it myself.

gotta go practice
B
BDB Offline
B
Rather than a Somewhere song, perhaps Swingin' on a Star would be more appropriate. Her husband could carry moonbeams home in a jar.

Semipro Tech
P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Tim: That Pachelbel video is VERY funny. Thank you for posting!

BDB, of course! Swingin' on a Star MUST have been the wedding song. I wonder what the lyric sounds like in Russian.

Played a wedding last night at the castle. People were fancy but funky. Easy. But I had a run in with the photographer who, on my break, decided to pile SUGAR CUBES on the grand so he could take a picture of the wedding rings on top of the cubes. What was he thinking? I sort of snapped. You know, I keep my cool with the guests (even the Wheelchair Guy) but I lost it when I saw that mountain of sticky cubes on the Yamaha.

He actually argued with me until I threatened to pile sugar cubes on his camera. Then he got my point, skulked away, and found a coffee table for his "Still Life with Rings and Cubes" shot. Jeez.

Robin Meloy Goldsby
www.goldsby.de
RMG is a Steinway Artist
P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P

Robin Meloy Goldsby
www.goldsby.de
RMG is a Steinway Artist
B
BDB Offline
B
The Mayo clinic has a Bösendorfer!

Semipro Tech
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
My mom used to sing that song. She always eyed us kids meaningfully when she got to the verse,

"A pig is an animal with dirt on his face,
His shoes are a terrible disgrace.
He has no manners when he eats his food,
He's fat and ugly and extremely rude
So if you don't give a feather or a fig,
You might grow up to be a pig!"

Swinging on a Star ...music by Jimmy Van Heusen (who is well-worth a further look-up) and lyrics by Johnny Burke for the 1944 film Going My Way, winning an Academy Award for best song--- one of four for Van Heusen--- (Bing Crosby; Andy Williams, backup), and covered by numerous artists since then, including: Little Lulu in Bout with a Trout; Shari Lewis and Lambchop; Oscar Peterson; Tony Bennett; Maria Muldaur; Julie Andrews; Frank Sinatra; Bruce Willis and Danny Aiello in the film Hudson Hawk; and Muppet starlet Miss Piggy.

The song was parodied in The Far Side cartoon strip, which depicted a man-turned-pig saying to his wife, "Hey, so I made the wrong decision!"

Jimmy Van Heusen wrote numerous other standards, with various collaborators, including: All the Way; High Hopes; Call Me Irresponsible; Love and Marriage; Come Fly with Me; and My Kind of Town.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swinging_on_a_star

"Today in Wedding History:"

2003 – Widescale power blackout in the northeast United States and Canada. Baby boom follows nine months later, for some reason.

August 14, 1880 – Construction of Cologne Cathedral was completed. The most famous landmark in Cologne, Germany and host to a multitude of weddings, it was built to house a reliquary of the Three Magi. The foundation stone was laid on October 15, 1248; construction was one day shy of 632 years, if the change from Julian to Gregorian calendars is disregarded.

Last edited by Jeff Clef; 08/15/10 11:32 AM.

Clef

B
BDB Offline
B
A similar Van Heusen menagerie song is High Hopes.

Semipro Tech
Page 29 of 98 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 97 98

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission