Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2202690 - 12/25/13 08:06 AM Christmas....giving and getting....
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
The best thing I got was that I was able to give Koko the Gorilla, a Christmas present. I can't afford much. I was still able to send her a book. This was my best present for myself.

Yes, I got me a VPC for Christmas. Love it. Named it: Ingrid. First big luxury type item I have gotten in 15 years. She's a wonderful keyboard.

So I'm sitting here. Enjoying the best part of the day. Early morning. Beautiful out. Sun starting to come up. Enjoying my Christmas immensely.
Am also fortunate to live in the quietest apartments I have ever lived in. I can play and not have to use headphones.

So what were you able to give or get? What made your Christmas?

Edited by rnaple (12/25/13 08:10 AM)
Edit Reason: typo

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2202691 - 12/25/13 08:24 AM Re: Christmas....giving and getting.... [Re: rnaple]
WoodenKeys Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
Although the day is young I was able to enjoy about 45 minutes of quiet practice this morning. I also began disc 2 (Intermediate Level) of eMedia. Today is exactly 9 months since I started! Will be adding a real teacher of piano, guitar and voice in two weeks. I'm going to be quite busy I expect.

Merry Christmas All!

Edited by WoodenKeys (12/25/13 08:26 AM)

#2202692 - 12/25/13 08:25 AM Re: Christmas....giving and getting.... [Re: rnaple]
Rerun Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisiana
Well, we are cooking again for seventeen kids, grand kids, sons and daughters-in-law, etc., and the power is back on down here in north Louisiana, yaay! ... 5 more hours till the blessing followed by the feeding and unwrapping frenzy. : )

Merry Christmas

"Seat of the pants piano player" DMD

#2202700 - 12/25/13 09:11 AM Re: Christmas....giving and getting.... [Re: rnaple]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Celebrating Christmas without my husband for he first time in 16 years frown. I'm with my family in Chicago, and he's up north in WI. We will be celebrating with his side of the family on Saturday, but it's odd without him.

I really want to just sit and play piano, and I may do just that. I have a ton of Tchaikovsky to learn!
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2202703 - 12/25/13 09:27 AM Re: Christmas....giving and getting.... [Re: rnaple]
Andy Platt Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
I got "The Perfect Wrong Note" and Zimmerman's CD of the Chopin Ballades. Both are so wonderful for me, it's as if I chose them myself ... oh, yeah, they were on my wishlist! wink

So far the best part of Christmas was singing with the choir at midnight mass. On the third verse of Silent Night, with the lights dimmed, the organist stopped so we carried on acapella. It was so hushed, so quiet and so beautiful. After it finished, everyone in the church just paused as if there was nothing more to be done. Perfect!

Kawai K3

#2202719 - 12/25/13 10:36 AM Re: Christmas....giving and getting.... [Re: rnaple]
ElleC Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
I really thought my husband was getting me a zoom recorder since he did mention that he got me something I can use. This was around the time I've hinted on getting a H4N. Anyway, I got a diamond tennis bracelet instead. I know I shouldn't complain, it is lovely! But, I'd rather get the zoom. Yes, I'm such an ungrateful wife! Lol

Of course the best present is really having my husband around especially since I've been kind of depressed about our loss this year. He's been such a rock through all my breakdowns.

Merry Christmas to you all!

#2202723 - 12/25/13 10:47 AM Re: Christmas....giving and getting.... [Re: rnaple]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
We managed to avoid the endless Christmas lunch with relatives - we will only have a little dinner with my parents. It's great to be able to take a long walk under the rain completely alone, when everybody else is sitting at a table having too much to eat, often with people they don't even like.

With regard to music, I got a book by Barenboim - what a perfect present! I wish I could have watched the King's College Choir on BBC, but I had to settle for a crappy rendition of Messiah on Italian television frown

#2202746 - 12/25/13 11:36 AM Re: Christmas....giving and getting.... [Re: sinophilia]
Andy Platt Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Originally Posted By: sinophilia
With regard to music, I got a book by Barenboim - what a perfect present! I wish I could have watched the King's College Choir on BBC, but I had to settle for a crappy rendition of Messiah on Italian television frown

You can listen online via the iPlayer smile

Kawai K3

#2202750 - 12/25/13 11:45 AM Re: Christmas....giving and getting.... [Re: Morodiene]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Originally Posted By: Morodiene
Celebrating Christmas without my husband for he first time in 16 years frown. I'm with my family in Chicago, and he's up north in WI. We will be celebrating with his side of the family on Saturday, but it's odd without him.

I really want to just sit and play piano, and I may do just that. I have a ton of Tchaikovsky to learn!

Same here! My husband is with his family in CA and I'm staying in AZ for various reasons. Perhaps you could say that I got "relative'd out". I have been exhausted from entertaining my relatives. A little strange but very quiet Christmas. Have played many pieces that I neglected yesterday. Happy holidays to everyone.
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

#2202757 - 12/25/13 12:00 PM Re: Christmas....giving and getting.... [Re: Andy Platt]
bennevis Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Andy Platt
Originally Posted By: sinophilia

There's 'Carols from King's' on BBC 2 TV (which was on at 1100 GMT this morning), a different version of the carol service (made specially for TV) from the famous 'A Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols', which was broadcast three hours ago on BBC Radio 3.

I believe both are still available to watch/listen for the next seven days. There's nothing better at Christmas.......

#2202779 - 12/25/13 01:08 PM Re: Christmas....giving and getting.... [Re: rnaple]
Playagain Offline

I've been having so much fun learning my ragtime piece for the recital, so my husband got me the piano book, "World's Greatest Ragtime Solos: 34 Ragtime Piano Originals by 14 Composers." It has Scott Joplin pieces and lots of others that I'm not familiar with, but it will be fun trying them out!

I also got 2 cds: "Beegie Adair's Jazz Piano Tribute: The Frank Sinatra Collection," and "An Oscar Peterson Christmas." Both sound great so far.

We got my grandson a 3/4 size Ibanez electric guitar and are going to start him with group lessons at his school. He is so excited!

I love the family get-togethers! We're going to one today with all the in-town relatives--about 30 people. Can't wait! smile

Merry Christmas!

#2202805 - 12/25/13 02:25 PM Re: Christmas....giving and getting.... [Re: rnaple]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
My husband tuning an African "thumb piano," his favorite present

#2202815 - 12/25/13 02:57 PM Re: Christmas....giving and getting.... [Re: rnaple]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Wow Frycek, that case behind him looks like it holds some real treasures!

#2202845 - 12/25/13 05:23 PM Re: Christmas....giving and getting.... [Re: malkin]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: malkin
Wow Frycek, that case behind him looks like it holds some real treasures!

Different representations of My Favorite Pole, mostly eBay stuff. A little bust of Beethoven, a Victorian plaster cast of a toddler's hand, part of my foo dog collection, and a lot of my grandfather's books.

#2202864 - 12/25/13 06:40 PM Re: Christmas....giving and getting.... [Re: rnaple]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia

wow it's boxing day already and no sign of any piano movers. I think my wife has ignored my begging request for an acoustic piano. I did not think she meant it when she said "over my dead body" wink

Edited by earlofmar (12/25/13 06:46 PM)

#2202871 - 12/25/13 06:58 PM Re: Christmas....giving and getting.... [Re: earlofmar]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: earlofmar

wow it's boxing day already and no sign of any piano movers. I think my wife has ignored my begging request for an acoustic piano. I did not think she meant it when she said "over my dead body" wink

Tell her not to give you ideas. ;-)

#2202874 - 12/25/13 07:20 PM Re: Christmas....giving and getting.... [Re: rnaple]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
thumb

#2202896 - 12/25/13 08:15 PM Re: Christmas....giving and getting.... [Re: rnaple]
Oongawa Offline

I received a Conoco piano lamp. It is awesome. I still can't play the music but I can definitely see it better!
Beethoven - Minuet in G
Bach - Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring
'69 Mason & Hamlin Model A

#2203014 - 12/26/13 08:00 AM Re: Christmas....giving and getting.... [Re: rnaple]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brighton Colorado
LOL. We are the heart of the "endless Christmas with relatives". This year though we made it a come and go kind of day...more of an open house with buffet available noon-2. My sister and mother didn't come but our three children, their spouses, and their sprung-offs and later my niece and her family filled the house with laughter, mayhem and wrapping debris. We each wrote a note to #1 grandson who is in Navy basic training at Great Lakes Navy Base...we all missed him a lot. Blessed to have my husband, Jim, managing the food lines. I slept for ten hours and he's not up yet. Nice to have today off from work.

Not a single musical gift left for me but we gave #2 grandson a mic and bass stand for his new bass guitar. Told him he needs 10000 hours before he quits.

Blessings to all of you.

Edited by WiseBuff (12/26/13 08:02 AM)

Love to learn

#2203027 - 12/26/13 08:58 AM Re: Christmas....giving and getting.... [Re: rnaple]
Johan B Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands, Grootegast-Gr...
My adult children are home....that's the biggest present.....besides that they gave me a new Haydn: Sonates IV (Martiensen).....nice.....they know what daddy needs.....

Happy Xmas, cheers,
Johan B

Edited by Johan B (12/26/13 09:03 AM)

Currently working on:Sonaten of Haydn/Mozart, Suites Bach/Händel, Sonate pathetique Beethoven
'Nil volentibus arduum'

#2203032 - 12/26/13 09:05 AM Re: Christmas....giving and getting.... [Re: rnaple]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Well, being far from all our relatives our time with them was via telephone and Skype - (a lot easier than driving anywhere in the snow that most of them experienced this week!)

We had a lovely day at home, with our own little traditions we've built up over our time here in Italy - and a gorgeous goose for our Christmas dinner.

We have one package which still hasn't arrived ,but apart from that I didn't get any sheet music. We did get a great Diana Krall cd , a Winston Marsalis and Waylan Jennings cd, plus Glen Gould playing Bach (not the Goldberg Variations, we have had that for years, this is a different one.)

We also got the dvd of Les Mis smile (Trapper John, I know, I know, it isn't the same... I'll just have to make due with it til they bring the Original Language version to Milan ! )

Our day was really lovely - I hope others were as happy as we were.

#2203077 - 12/26/13 10:57 AM Re: Christmas....giving and getting.... [Re: Andy Platt]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Originally Posted By: Andy Platt

I haven't figured out yet if iPlayer lets you listen to live programs or just recorded stuff! Most of all, I would like to know if I will be able to watch the actual BBC schedule by getting the paid iPlayer subscription (now available also outside the UK), or just selected TV shows and programs... I want the real thing!

(sorry for the OT)

Edited by sinophilia (12/26/13 10:59 AM)

#2203160 - 12/26/13 03:08 PM Re: Christmas....giving and getting.... [Re: casinitaly]
zillybug Offline

Loc: USA
We had a lovely Christmas Eve and Christmas with adult children and family. My one daughter and I have been cooking and baking for days so today I slept longer than I think I ever have. My granddaughter who is 8 just started piano lessons with my teacher in September so it was nice to have her play for the family. She played "Jolly Old Saint Nicholas" and "O come Little children" while I played "O holy night" and "What Child Is This?"
As for music related gifts, My one daughter and her husband gave me tickets to Celtic Woman who I have wanted to see but never wanted to spend a $100 for a ticket. I gave my piano teacher a gift certificate to our local symphony since I know he loves the symphony. He gave the kids special M&M's that were in a cute holiday package and said practice or count on them. The adults got truffles that he had made. They were yummy. On a side note, I am so excited to be going to hear Frank Glazer play at a local university in January. He is in his nineties and still performs. That certainly is inspiring.

#2203845 - 12/28/13 04:33 AM Re: Christmas....giving and getting.... [Re: rnaple]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Got me a new jo-anna. Wasn`t for Christmas, but that`s how it happened . . . .she sings beautifully. And shouts . . . could call her Rihanna the pianna. . .

""

#2204017 - 12/28/13 12:57 PM Re: Christmas....giving and getting.... [Re: rnaple]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Thunder Bay, On Canada
Our Christmas was rather a mess this year. Three funerals (two for me right before and one for my son during!) So most kids weren't here but we all managed anyways.

I got the best gift ever before Christmas (it was my Christmas gift though.) My family got me a used receiver to hook up giant house stereo speakers to. My piano is now hooked up to this and has sound!

I haven't been here much due to having no internet at home so:

Merry Christmas everyone!

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
When interpretation varies greatly?
by 3times2
Today at 01:13 PM
Official: Fryderyk Chopin died of TB!
by bennevis
Today at 12:06 PM
Teacher wants me to play a "loud" piece too. (suggestions?)
by Tides
Today at 11:47 AM
Playing for ~9 months.. Where to go next?
by alexbergauer
Today at 11:39 AM
Aluminum plating on Steinways?
by chasingrainbows
Today at 11:32 AM
Who's Online
142 registered (accordeur, 3times2, ajames, Abby Pianoman, 45 invisible), 1366 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76231 Members
42 Forums
157580 Topics
2314666 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission