Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 12 of 15 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 >
Topic Options
#2288001 - 06/10/14 08:48 AM Re: MOYD 2014 [Re: casinitaly]
ClsscLib Online   content

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Northern VA, U.S.
I'm playing in the pit orchestra for a good community theater company's production of "Pirates of Penzance" this week and next. This is what the company calls "he1l week" (to outsiders, "tech week") -- dress rehearsals until midnight tonight, Wednesday, and Thursday; performances Friday and Saturday night and Sunday afternoon; then rinse and repeat next F, Sa (matinee AND evening performance), and Sunday.

I probably won't touch the piano until this Saturday, and then not next Friday or Saturday.

It promises to be a great show -- especially the opening night and matinee performances. If you're in the DC (Rockville MD) area and interested, please consult www.vloc.org .

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2289329 - 06/13/14 12:31 PM Re: MOYD 2014 [Re: ClsscLib]

I love Gilbert & Sullivan almost as much as I do playing piano. In this intensive rehearsal week, I've got snippets of "Pirates" running through my head every waking hour. The current earworm is from the great song, "I am a Pirate King!":

When I sally forth to seek my prey
I help myself in a royal way:
I sink a few more ships, it's true.
Than a well-bred monarch ought to do;

But many a king on a first-class throne,
If he wants to call his crown his own,
Must manage somehow to get through
More dirty work than ever I do.

#2289733 - 06/14/14 05:13 PM Re: MOYD 2014 [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Online   blank

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
I'm a huge Gilbert and Sullivan fan too.... I used to see at least one a year...I don't remember the last time I saw one though...it has been at least 18 years, if not more. Italians aren't really into G&S. frown

#2291376 - 06/17/14 11:11 PM Re: MOYD 2014 [Re: casinitaly]
Oongawa Offline

Please put me on the 'excused' list for June 9 - 16, as we were out of town on vacation. I did see one street piano I "could" have played if I only had anything memorized.... Sigh... That is something I really must work on.
Beethoven - Minuet in G
Bach - Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring
'69 Mason & Hamlin Model A

#2291436 - 06/18/14 02:28 AM Re: MOYD 2014 [Re: casinitaly]

Done!

#2292384 - 06/19/14 11:52 PM Re: MOYD 2014 [Re: casinitaly]

Originally Posted By: casinitaly
I'm a huge Gilbert and Sullivan fan too.... I used to see at least one a year...I don't remember the last time I saw one though...it has been at least 18 years, if not more. Italians aren't really into G&S. frown

Not even of The Gondoliers? smile

#2292406 - 06/20/14 02:17 AM Re: MOYD 2014 [Re: ClsscLib]

Originally Posted By: ClsscLib

Not even of The Gondoliers? smile

lol...nope, not even that one ! Darn it!

#2292625 - 06/20/14 04:11 PM Re: MOYD 2014 [Re: casinitaly]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
I will be on vacation June 21-29 and will not be able to play the 22nd, 24th, 26th, or 28th.

Polyphonist

#2293440 - 06/22/14 02:56 PM Re: MOYD 2014 [Re: casinitaly]

Ok Polyphonist. Have a good vacation.

I was away for the weekend but managed to play before we left, and will play today so just the 21st to declare as excused for travel.

#2294275 - 06/24/14 10:26 AM Re: MOYD 2014 [Re: casinitaly]
Palmpirate Offline

Loc: B.C.Canada
We returned from our scheduled trip which I sent in details about previously expecting to be back on 18th. It was the nightmare journey home so we didn't arrive until Saturday 21st. And I only touched the piano again yesterday which was 23rd.

Guess I have a few days on the 'naughty list' to 'fess up to.

If you must know what happened - the French Railway and Taxi drivers were on strike. Several of our connecting flights were changed so our itinerary was shot and lots of our reservations cancelled. We had to stay over in London - from Marseilles after travelling ' first Class' on the TGV sitting on our lugging in the luggage racks instead of our reserved seat. Get on a flight to Austin Texas after haggling about our 'lost' first class reservation. Do immigration and security again before going on to Seattle. Discover the midnight flight on to Kelowna was cancelled at the last minute - for maintenance reasons - so had to stay over in their last minute 'free voucher' hotel deal. Add to that, that my husband was getting sicker and sicker , so hauling luggage around was not helping, and there was no help in sight anywhere, and an immediate visit to the 24 hr clinic had him diagnosed with pneumonia and in bed until today. Maybe today I can play for a while - without headphones....!

It did make me realize how forceful this MYOD honour system is. I could so easily have just given up on it .

Thanks casinitaly!

#2294293 - 06/24/14 11:13 AM Re: MOYD 2014 [Re: Palmpirate]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: Palmpirate
We returned from our scheduled trip which I sent in details about previously expecting to be back on 18th. It was the nightmare journey home so we didn't arrive until Saturday 21st. And I only touched the piano again yesterday which was 23rd.

Guess I have a few days on the 'naughty list' to 'fess up to.

If you must know what happened - the French Railway and Taxi drivers were on strike. Several of our connecting flights were changed so our itinerary was shot and lots of our reservations cancelled. We had to stay over in London - from Marseilles after travelling ' first Class' on the TGV sitting on our lugging in the luggage racks instead of our reserved seat. Get on a flight to Austin Texas after haggling about our 'lost' first class reservation. Do immigration and security again before going on to Seattle. Discover the midnight flight on to Kelowna was cancelled at the last minute - for maintenance reasons - so had to stay over in their last minute 'free voucher' hotel deal. Add to that, that my husband was getting sicker and sicker , so hauling luggage around was not helping, and there was no help in sight anywhere, and an immediate visit to the 24 hr clinic had him diagnosed with pneumonia and in bed until today. Maybe today I can play for a while - without headphones....!

It did make me realize how forceful this MYOD honour system is. I could so easily have just given up on it .

Thanks casinitaly!
Oh my, that sounds awful! Thankfully, you're back home safe and sound.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2294369 - 06/24/14 03:07 PM Re: MOYD 2014 [Re: casinitaly]
PatrickBl Offline

Loc: Gold Coast, Australia
I'd like to sign up (very late I know). I have been practicing every day, minus vacations, for a couple of years, but every bit of gentle pressure helps!

Patrick

#2294696 - 06/25/14 07:06 AM Re: MOYD 2014 [Re: casinitaly]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brighton Colorado
Please put me on excused for June 18 through June 22. I was in Toronto at the Media Ecology Conference and although I took music along, I didn't find a piano or time to play. One of the panels I attended was on music. One presenter talked about the history of rock and roll (a media) and its influence on culture. Another analyzed the messages in the music and lyrics of a piece by Radiohead. Interesting to me how many musicians there are in this group of scholars.

Edited by WiseBuff (06/25/14 07:11 AM)

Love to learn

#2294963 - 06/25/14 05:51 PM Re: MOYD 2014 [Re: casinitaly]

Palmpirate - what a nightmare. I hope your hubby feels MUCH better very soon!!!

Wisebuff - sounds like an interesting conference!

Patrick - welcome to MOYD.

#2297312 - 07/01/14 12:38 PM Re: MOYD 2014 [Re: casinitaly]
torquenale Offline

I'll be on vacation July 3-16, I'll play only the 5th grin

So please, put me on the excused list 3-4 and 6-16.

#2297373 - 07/01/14 03:32 PM Re: MOYD 2014 [Re: torquenale]

Originally Posted By: torquenale
I'll be on vacation July 3-16, I'll play only the 5th grin

So please, put me on the excused list 3-4 and 6-16.

Well, you "may" be able to play on the 3rd and 4th too - but we'll see.

Have a nice trip - hope you meet some nice people! smile smile

#2297382 - 07/01/14 03:57 PM Re: MOYD 2014 [Re: casinitaly]
torquenale Offline

When traveling with family, and especially with children, you have to find some compromise on the things to do; and, I want to see a bit of Lisbon!

I'm sure I'll meet GREAT people!

#2297388 - 07/01/14 04:14 PM Re: MOYD 2014 [Re: torquenale]

Originally Posted By: torquenale

When traveling with family, and especially with children, you have to find some compromise on the things to do; and, I want to see a bit of Lisbon!

I'm sure I'll meet GREAT people!

Of course there are compromises- especially with kids! Who knows though ....?
There is so much to see in Lisbon, I think we will have to go back - this is going to be just sampling of what it has to offer!

#2300176 - 07/09/14 09:26 AM Re: MOYD 2014 [Re: casinitaly]

Ok, so ...checking in after the Lisbon EPP.

I managed to play on the Thursday, Friday and of course the Saturday - but no piano time for me on the Sunday or Monday--- we got home after midnight!

So, I am excused for July 6 and 7.

#2300507 - 07/10/14 12:07 AM Re: MOYD 2014 [Re: casinitaly]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Hi Cheryl -- I was off for a few weeks, vacationing in Canada. Please mark me out June 15-28. The piece I've been working on came back surprisingly fast after the time off.

#2300555 - 07/10/14 02:24 AM Re: MOYD 2014 [Re: casinitaly]

Hi MaryBee,

welcome back! Where in my native land were you travelling?

Glad your piece came back so quickly !

#2300613 - 07/10/14 08:30 AM Re: MOYD 2014 [Re: casinitaly]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brighton Colorado
Going up to the mountains to a dog show this weekend so will need to be excused for Saturday July 12. The show is just past Vail in Eagle. No RV this trip...just a hotel room with 3 dogs and my daughter. We're handling ourselves for one day of the show so I'm hoping my knee holds out.

Love to learn

#2300762 - 07/10/14 02:41 PM Re: MOYD 2014 [Re: casinitaly]

Have a good time Wisebuff --- good luck with the show - and your knees!!

#2300778 - 07/10/14 03:23 PM Re: MOYD 2014 [Re: casinitaly]
William Schryver Offline

Have a good time Wisebuff --- good luck with the show - and your knees!!

Totally off-topic post, motivated by seeing your user name, casinitaly. My wife and I are MAJOR italophiles. Also HUGE Ligabue fans. We've gone to see Liga 3 times in the past 9 months (Verona, Roma, Catania). Pretty sure we were the only Americans in the crowd, each and every time.

Comunque, sono curioso: sei italiano? E se non te ne preoccupi rivelarlo in pubblico, dove abiti?

#2300930 - 07/10/14 11:24 PM Re: MOYD 2014 [Re: casinitaly]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Hi MaryBee,

welcome back! Where in my native land were you travelling?

Pelee Island, the largest island in Lake Erie and the southernmost populated point in Canada. Totally relaxing!

#2300977 - 07/11/14 04:51 AM Re: MOYD 2014 [Re: casinitaly]

MaryBee - you were in my sister's neighbourhood! If I'd been in Canada we could have hooked up! (Funnily enough, my sister is in Italy right now, so I'm here this summer smile She is in Florence right now and will arrive here on Sunday! )

William - non sono italiana, sono canadese, ma abito in italia da 1994. Non voglio essere troppo preciso - ma abito vicino Milano. E tu? Sei americano ma sei spesso in italia o abiti qui? Anche a me piace Ligabue ma non gli ho mai visto in concerto.

#2301006 - 07/11/14 07:54 AM Re: MOYD 2014 [Re: casinitaly]

Casinitaly: I understood most of that! smile

So last night we were moving furniture around as we are ALMOST done with the kitchen remodel (have to wait 3 weeks for the countertops), and I hurt my right wrist. I thought I just tweaked it a little so afterwards I played some Mozart, perhaps not a great idea, then went to bed. Woke up early this morning with pain in my wrist. I think today I'll have to do some work on LH passages only frown .

#2301794 - 07/13/14 08:34 AM Re: MOYD 2014 [Re: casinitaly]

Well, I screwed up! I had come home from camping last night and we had to rush to a home salvage store that is only open on Saturdays until 1:00 to see if they had any trim that matched our house - they did and it was a long process to pick that up, then we had to get groceries and run errands, and work on cleaning and rearranging the house now that the kitchen is mostly complete....and that took my until about 11:00 pm. Exhausted I went to bed and totally forgot to play piano! So consider me fallen off the wagon smirk . I'll get right back on it today!

#2302063 - 07/14/14 02:06 AM Re: MOYD 2014 [Re: casinitaly]

@Morodiene :

One, two, three, whoomph...up you go (that was me boosting you back onto the wagon) smile

#2302066 - 07/14/14 02:26 AM Re: MOYD 2014 [Re: casinitaly]
TX-Bluebonnet Offline

Loc: Central Texas
I've been practicing every day since I started learning in June. Can you please add me to the list?

Started my piano journey June 2014 at age 54.
My digital piano: Casio Privia PX-850.
Working on "Alfred's Adult All-In-One Course" Book 1

XXXV

Page 12 of 15 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha U3
by RGibson
43 minutes 42 seconds ago
VPC1 Order Cancelled
by EmptySpace
Today at 06:16 AM
Baroque Pitch - The Well-Tempered Clavier
by Badinage
Today at 02:25 AM
Need Leutke Leipzig info
by Gardenergirl
Today at 12:26 AM
Best digital approximation
by TEHunter1
Yesterday at 11:49 PM
Who's Online
86 registered (Al LaPorte, barbaram, anotherscott, Badinage, AZ_Astro, 28 invisible), 1005 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76209 Members
42 Forums
157556 Topics
2314232 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission