Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2204032 - 12/28/13 01:45 PM playing cadences
adultpianist Offline
500 Post Club Member

I heard about cadences on another forum and the person who mentioned them refused to explain what they were. I had never heard of them and do not do them in my lessons.. Can someone please explain what they are because I want to know if I am supposed to be doing them...

I am gonna ask my teacher what they are etc when I next see her

Thanks

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2204037 - 12/28/13 01:56 PM Re: playing cadences [Re: adultpianist]
keystring Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
I can guarantee that you have been playing cadences for the last few years. smile The narrow definition of cadence is two chords that work together to mark the ending of a phrase or section, most often V7-I for ending a section. (Do you know your Roman Numerals and theory yet?). So a piece in C major would have G7-C (GBDF-CEG).

The larger definition of cadence is that it's where your phrase or section ends, and that also has a rhythmic quality. Usually your cadence slows down, and often you'll see it in your music as the part where you suddenly have some white notes.

#2204067 - 12/28/13 02:52 PM Re: playing cadences [Re: keystring]
adultpianist Offline
500 Post Club Member

ok thanks so now I know what they are I will look at my stuff and see if any of the piece have cadences in them grin

I guess teach did not explain the definition to me and I did not know what i was playing.

Edited by adultpianist (12/28/13 02:53 PM)

#2204070 - 12/28/13 03:00 PM Re: playing cadences [Re: adultpianist]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: adultpianist
ok thanks so now I know what they are I will look at my stuff and see if any of the piece have cadences in them grin

I guarantee that if you are playing tonal music, it contains cadences.

Polyphonist

#2204071 - 12/28/13 03:00 PM Re: playing cadences [Re: adultpianist]

Are you able to recognize where your music has phrases when you play them? I'll bet that 100% of your music has cadences. They'll be at the end of your phrases. There will be one at the end of each piece for sure.

#2204084 - 12/28/13 03:48 PM Re: playing cadences [Re: keystring]
adultpianist Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: keystring
Are you able to recognize where your music has phrases when you play them? I'll bet that 100% of your music has cadences. They'll be at the end of your phrases. There will be one at the end of each piece for sure.

oh defiately. I can recognise a phase alright. Thanks again and I guess my teacher did not want to overload me too much with too much stuff. All she said when she was teaching me about phrases in the early stages of my learning was to look at the line that goes across the notes and that is a phrase. I am looking at one of my exam pieces at a particular phrase and it starts with a double note and ends with a single note and somee of the other phrases start and end with single notes frown

#2204102 - 12/28/13 04:14 PM Re: playing cadences [Re: adultpianist]
Brian Lucas Offline
500 Post Club Member

Practicing cadences is an exercise in seeing how 2 or more chords flow together. The 2 that I regularly recommend for beginners is 1-4-1 and 1-5-1. So in C that would be C-F-C and C-G-C. You'll notice that the notes C-E-G becomes C-F-A for the F chord, then C-E-G becomes B-D-G for the G chord. Practicing this in all 12 keys and starting in all inversions will help you play chord progressions more smoothly.
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music

#2204136 - 12/28/13 05:15 PM Re: playing cadences [Re: Brian Lucas]
adultpianist Offline
500 Post Club Member

I have looked on youtube and there is a complete lesson in cadences and the teacher is demonstrating them with the aid of a metronome. She also shows you music with cadences so I am going to ask my teacher why we have not gone through this and I will report back on what she says. The video shows there are definately exercises I can and shoud be doing but for some reason have not done. I have absolutely no idea why because i have a good teacher and she gets me through my exams and I pass them so I am flabergasted really.

Even though I pass my exams am I missing out on a vital piece of piano tuition?

This is the video and this is what perhaps I should be taught ?

http://youtu.be/Q8hv3kkMZzg

but at the end of the day I can convince an examiner enough to pass me in the exam and I am happy about that and I take on board the comments he makes and improve where he thinks I need to improve but thankfully I dont fail the exam so that has to be something for both me and my teacher.. Teacher for teaching me enough to pass and me for putting in the hard work to practice enough to get up to standard to go in for the exam and pass

Edited by adultpianist (12/28/13 05:23 PM)

#2204141 - 12/28/13 05:22 PM Re: playing cadences [Re: adultpianist]

There are different styles of teaching. Aspects of music such as cadences are integral parts of the music. An excellent way of teaching is to have you first experience these things within the music so that they are part of you, and then later isolate and tell you what you have been using. That prevents you from having an artificial type of playing. Do ask your teacher about cadences, and be open to how she presents them.

#2204143 - 12/28/13 05:26 PM Re: playing cadences [Re: keystring]
adultpianist Offline
500 Post Club Member

Yes and I will also ask why she has not taught them to me.. There has to be a reason why. Can you think of any teacher who does not teach cadences with a valid reason for not doing so? I dont want to be put in the position of trying to tell the teacher what to do, after all she is more qualified than me and I am the student and I have to be guided by what she says but this strikes me as strange when cadences are a normal part of piano tuition for beginners.

Maybe I am taking this too seriously because after all, I am able to get mysef up to a standard to pass an exam and I ony do it as a fun hobby, I have no intention of performing for money

Edited by adultpianist (12/28/13 05:29 PM)

#2204148 - 12/28/13 05:34 PM Re: playing cadences [Re: adultpianist]

I suggest this link. He gives a full explanation of cadences, including their function. The link you found leaves out some important things. (The out of tune guitar in the beginning matters less.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE9MJZbHYnY
Quote:
Yes and I will also ask why she has not taught them to me.

Imho, there is no reason to ask her way. It does not help you learn anything, and may come across as an accusation. Just let her know that you are interested in this, and see what happens.

#2204149 - 12/28/13 05:36 PM Re: playing cadences [Re: keystring]
adultpianist Offline
500 Post Club Member

ok thanks

#2204153 - 12/28/13 05:51 PM Re: playing cadences [Re: adultpianist]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
You seem very focused on passing exams within a certain timeframe. Some teachers might choose to respond to a student's emphasis on exams by focusing on just what is needed to pass the exams, rather than spending more time to lay a broader musical foundation.

Exams have their uses, but they do not cover or test all of what goes into being a well-rounded musician.

If you are interested in learning more than just what is narrowly useful to pass the next level of exams, by all means talk to your teacher.

#2204184 - 12/28/13 07:01 PM Re: playing cadences [Re: PianoStudent88]
adultpianist Offline
500 Post Club Member

You have a point there. I do want to take as many exams as is possible given my circumstances (an adult in full time work). I feel a sense of satisfaction when I have my certificate in my hand and it says i have passed at such and such a grade. Most of the students at the school I attend take exams and I am not doing it because they are... I genuinely want to do it for myself. I am not doing the exams to get a job playing the piano where it would matter what exam passes I have. I realise that exams are important for careers and thats why young people go to university to get a degree to get a good job.... but I am not want to be employed to play the piano in a bar or restaurant and of course I could get myself up to standard to do that and sit every sunday afternoon in the local restaurant entertaining people as they eat and that would be where my qualifications would be useful as well as being able to demonstrate to the restaurant by way of audition. These exams are only so i have something concrete to show for the money i have put into this..nothing more, nothing less

#2206635 - 01/01/14 10:17 PM Re: playing cadences [Re: adultpianist]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
Originally Posted By: adultpianist
The video shows there are definately exercises I can and should be doing

Can be doing, certainly. Whether or not you should be doing them is for a qualified teacher to decide. As you said it yourself, your instructor is qualified, so why go and decide that they're important without first discussing them with said qualified teacher?

#2206640 - 01/01/14 10:31 PM Re: playing cadences [Re: adultpianist]
TwoSnowflakes Online   blank
1000 Post Club Member

Cadences are just the term for how a musical phrase resolves, or doesn't resolve, as the case may be.

My teacher has me doing basic full cadences as a part of scale practice. I-IV-I-V-I, I-IV-I-V7-I. Very common. Called "authentic" because it clearly resolves back to the tonic (I) from the dominant (V/V7). If you hear a video of those chords in any given key you'll know what it means to "resolve".

We do four notes per hand, then go through the inversions.

We mostly use it as a way to reinforce hand shape, smooth wrist and arm movement.

There are other ways phrases can end, or link to other phrases, or resolve. As such, individual types of cadences have lots of names depending on the degree of felt resolution, or where they end up.

But I also like other aspects of knowing generally about the triads that make up any given key and the major authentic cadence for it. The doing of them certainly helps me immediately identify the dominant in any given key. It's always good to know where your chords are in the key you're in, the most important of which is usually the dominant. Just good key grounding practice.
Chopin, Mazurka Op. 67 No.4
With the pedal I love to meddle; When Paderewski comes this way... -Irving Berlin

#2207477 - 01/03/14 01:40 PM Re: playing cadences [Re: adultpianist]
Mae L Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
What exam are you going to take? I'm working on my RCM grade 5 and we are required to play V-I Cadence at the end of each triad chord (both blocked and broken). That creates a sense of resolution at the end. My teacher basically asked me to listen to the chord and feel the sense of resolution (Dominant-tonic function)... For the exam, we have to play in a certain form. Here is the video of my practicing A major that I sent to my piano teacher for learning purposes. You can see the V-I Cadence I play at the end of the triad chord. http://youtu.be/7ApmakzzcZ0 ... It is just my everyday practice, not perfect though...

Mae

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
132 registered (accordeur, Abby Pianoman, 36251, a-z0-9, ABC Vermonter, 38 invisible), 1436 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75609 Members
42 Forums
156343 Topics
2296266 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha P-85 closer to a Grand Piano action than any Upright!
by Paul678
08/01/14 07:22 PM
Do someone have a Sciortino Insta-COILER
by Olek
08/01/14 06:55 PM
Buying used piano for school district - need advice/cautions
by ChoralScholar
08/01/14 05:34 PM
Help with a leg!
by igirl
08/01/14 04:53 PM
Have you had to fire your piano teacher? Why?
by alans
08/01/14 04:02 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission