Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyers Guide
Who's Online
71 registered (AntonJ, AndrewJCW, AZNpiano, 5/1/19249, AZ_Astro, 15 invisible), 1446 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2204311 - 12/29/13 12:47 AM Yamaha Clavinova CLP 120 - no sound? Please help!
George St Offline

Hello,

i have a problem with my Yamaha Clavinova CLP 120 which from one day to the other stopped working.

I had only moved it from the living room into the study and maybe through this move something got lose? The electronics seem still to be fine, i.e. if I switch it on, all lights turn on as usual.

I just don't get any sound out of it. I checked on the lower left side of the keyboard to make sure the OUTPUT-switch is put on "speakers" - nothing. I also checked with my headphones if the issue is potentially the speaker itself - no sound through the headphones.

I already checked the fuses on the main board (I found 2 glass ones) if a fuse has burned through - both fuses are ok.

Any idea what this could be?
Thanks for your help in advance

George

Edited by George St (12/29/13 12:48 AM)

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

#2204330 - 12/29/13 03:45 AM Re: Yamaha Clavinova CLP 120 - no sound? Please help! [Re: George St]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Have you done a factory reset? Another test is to plug in some external speakers. Since it occurred after a physical move, I would open it up and reseat all the internal connectors and look for loose connections.

#2204375 - 12/29/13 08:13 AM Re: Yamaha Clavinova CLP 120 - no sound? Please help! [Re: George St]
MacMacMac Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Check the manual. Look for the "LOCAL CONTROL" setting on page 37. It's function F7.3. To see whether local control is on or off simply follow the instructions on the next page. Additional details are on page 46.

Normally local control is turned on. But if it somehow got turned off, the piano will produce no sound. Check the manual.

#2207737 - 01/03/14 08:49 PM Re: Yamaha Clavinova CLP 120 - no sound? Please help! [Re: George St]
George St Offline

Hi SpanishBuddha and MacMacMac
I finally managed to get some sound out of it through external speakers, connected via AUX OUT/pin jacks. It still though doesnt play through its built in speakers nor through connected head phones (the speaker setting is ON). I also checked LOCAL CONTROL (function F 7.3) which is ON. Finally i reset all factory settings - without success. Any idea what the error might be?
Thanks for your help
George

(ad 800)
Yamaha CP Stage Pianos
Yamaha CP Stage Pianos Simply the Best
#2207885 - 01/04/14 05:11 AM Re: Yamaha Clavinova CLP 120 - no sound? Please help! [Re: George St]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
Is the plug for the headphones an adapter ... and is the adapter still in the headphone jack? I've done that myself and it took me a few minutes to narrow down the problem.

I would personally open up the keyboard and see what plugs have come loose.

I think every possible suggestion has been given. If none work then it's time to call Yamaha. I have the feeling however it's a very simple solution.

website | mp3\wav files | Yamaha AvantGrand N3 | Yamaha CP5 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones

#2207973 - 01/04/14 11:03 AM Re: Yamaha Clavinova CLP 120 - no sound? Please help! [Re: George St]
guyl Offline

Loc: Montreal, Canada
Could be the power amplifier that's gone bad.

#2207979 - 01/04/14 11:12 AM Re: Yamaha Clavinova CLP 120 - no sound? Please help! [Re: guyl]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
Originally Posted By: guyl
Could be the power amplifier that's gone bad.

... an internal fuse?

website | mp3\wav files | Yamaha AvantGrand N3 | Yamaha CP5 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones

#2208208 - 01/04/14 04:04 PM Re: Yamaha Clavinova CLP 120 - no sound? Please help! [Re: George St]
George St Offline

@ Dave Horne: yes, the headphone plug is an adaptor. However, i tried also without headphones and with SPEAKER on ON - no sound. I also checked the two fuses on the power board - all good

@ guyl: where would i find the power amplifier? And how could i check if that's the issue? As i mentioned: sound comes through external speakers but somehow doesnt arrive at the internal ones

I had opened up the piano but it seems nothing had come lose

Thanks in advance for your help
George

#2208209 - 01/04/14 04:13 PM Re: Yamaha Clavinova CLP 120 - no sound? Please help! [Re: George St]
dmd Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: George St
sound comes through external speakers but somehow doesnt arrive at the internal ones

If you tell this to the Yamaha corporation, they will know exactly what is wrong.

Current: ES8, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD598 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, JBL LSR305 Powered Monitors, Pianoteq 5,TruePiano,Ravenscroft275,TrueKeys American,Galaxy Vintage D,Ivory II,Alicia's Keys,CFX Concert Grand, The Grandeur

#2208302 - 01/04/14 08:05 PM Re: Yamaha Clavinova CLP 120 - no sound? Please help! [Re: George St]
MacMacMac Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Dave Horne asked "Is the plug for the headphones an adapter ... and is the adapter still in the headphone jack?"

The answer was yes (adapter) but there was no response to "is the adapter (or anything) plugged into the headphone jack". If something is plugged in, you'll get no sound from the speakers.

If that doesn't resolve this, then it's off to the repair shop. You cannot repair this yourself.

#2558960 - 07/26/16 10:34 PM Re: Yamaha Clavinova CLP 120 - no sound? Please help! [Re: George St]
samofsydney Offline

Hi "George St" - I am having the same issue with CLP 120 today !!!! I know it was a long time ago but in case you remember how did you fix that sound issue you had with your CLP120 ?

I would greatly appreciate your response.

#2558992 - 07/27/16 01:39 AM Re: Yamaha Clavinova CLP 120 - no sound? Please help! [Re: George St]
Pro-TAC Offline

Loc: Japan
Please be quiet.
and please power on your CLP.
after 2-3seconds you could hear click sound around amp board?
it's switching muterelay unlock sound.

no sound --- power amp IC is dead .TA8233H.price is around 5-6$.
pin15 Lch out
pin11 Rch out
you have DC voltage on these pin

if you hear click sound
you can use AUX in and out.
you can't use MIDI and USB.
mainboard is dead..

Pro-TAC tuning and repair service.

http://pro-tac.jpn.org/english.html

(ΦωΦ)

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Italy Members - Please Check In
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

-------------------
Piano Classified Ads
(ad)
Calculator Looks Like Piano Keyboard
Calculator that looks like a piano keyboard
Piano Keyboard Calculator

New in the Piano World online store (PianoSupplies.com) now.
(ad)
Pianist Magazine
Pianist Magazine - Helping you become a better player
(ad)
Teaching Children Music
Teaching Music to Children
(ads)
PD - WNG - MH
PianoDisc
Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
New Topics - Multiple Forums
[Lucy] A Tear Before Dawn
by DeeMaxx
08/26/16 01:59 AM
Moving piano cross country v buying a new one?
by ReamusLQ
08/26/16 12:46 AM
Worth it for Part-time Tuner to Join PTG as Associate?
by Musicdude
08/26/16 12:23 AM
Am I behind?
by davidc1215
08/25/16 11:19 PM
Reading a score with bifocals
by FrankCox
08/25/16 11:09 PM
Forum Stats
84,773 Registered Members
44 Forums
174,752 Topics
2,550,413 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2016 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission