2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, 5 invisible), 1,309 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Boira Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hello piano enthusiasts!

Brahms is one of my favourite composers and I'd love to learn some of his works.

What do you think would be a good staring point? Which piece would be accesible for the intermediate player?

Any suggestion is much appreciated smile

Happy New Year!

J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
I played Brahms Intermezzo Op 118 #2 some years ago with a former teacher, so it must be intermediate (since I'm still not "advanced"). It was the first piece I played with 2 against 3 rhythm, which I love. It's also really beautiful.

1989 Baldwin R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Brahms is also one of my favorite composers. If you have not played any Brahms I would say that some of his waltzes from Opus 39 would be a good place to start. They are written both for four hands and for piano solo. When I returned to the piano almost 3 years ago after over 40 years, I played Opus 39, no. 15 after about 3 months of starting lessons again. My teacher had given me Mendelssohn's Venetian Boat song, opus 30, no 6 and then I also started the Brahms about a month later. Even though they are both labeled grade 6, I found the Brahms way more challenging. I think Brahms can sometimes look easier that it is to play. When I was complaining about how hard, I was finding the Brahms and how it seemed more difficult than the Mendelssohn, my teacher replied that it was harder and that Brahms did not write easy music.
I think that the intermezzos are quite difficult unless you are at a pretty late intermediate to advanced level. My dream is to play the Intermezzo in A major some day but I'm not ready yet.
Good luck,
Judy

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
The Piano Syllabus site (here) has 90 entries for Brahms, mostly advanced pieces in the region of grade 8 to 11. However there are a couple of Intermezzos listed at grade 7 and a handful of other pieces at grade 6.

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by IanW
The Piano Syllabus site (here) has 90 entries for Brahms, mostly advanced pieces in the region of grade 8 to 11. However there are a couple of Intermezzos listed at grade 7 and a handful of other pieces at grade 6.

Could you check that link? It won't load for me {error message: That website is not available} -- perhaps the problem is at my computer, but I don't think so.

Thanks!

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
Link works ok from here. Try again?

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I don't get that piano syllabus site. The grading doesn't make any sense. Op 116 no 6 is listed 4 times: grade 8, grade 8, grade 9 and grade 10. ?? And that's nothing compared to the variety of grades on Beethoven's Op. 49 sonatas...

Anyway, I recommend the Op. 39 waltzes too. Some of the 2-hand arrangements of the Hungarian Dances might also be manageable if you pick your arranger and selection of dances wisely.

That Intermezzo Op. 118 no. 2 is advanced music by the way; the notes and rhythms alone are maybe early advanced, and the real difficulties present themselves in the voicing and expressive demands.

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
You may need to stick with arrangements for now. There are some composers whose majority of works are only in the advanced categories, and I think Brahms is one of them.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Magrath ("Pianist's Guide to Standard Teaching and Performance Literature") says
Almost all of Brahms' music is for mature pianists with accomplished technique and advanced musicianship.

However, she does list many pieces (almost all at the highest end of the range she covers) - like the intermezzos and waltzes already mentioned.

Last edited by Andy Platt; 12/30/13 11:06 PM.

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Multiple listings on the Piano Syllabus website means that a piece appears on multiple music board syllabuses. You can check which ones by clicking on the View Details link. The different gradings show the extent to which the experts disagree on the difficulty of the piece.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I recommend the waltzes too.

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
So I guess I should feel prouder of playing 118 no. 2. I love it and have a great time with it, but still won't go around calling myself advanced smile. Too many other great things I wouldn't dare approach!

1989 Baldwin R
B
Boira Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thank you, thank you very much for all your input, it's been most helpful!

I'll definitely take a look at the waltzes.
The sheet music for Op. 118 n.2 looks quite daunting to me, I'm afraid it's out of my reach at the moment. But with time, patience (and practice!) maybe somewhere in the [distant] future will give it a go.

Now it's time to treat myself with some new Brahms sheet music (Waltzes, here I come!) grin

Again, thank you for all your recommendations!

Last edited by Boira; 12/31/13 11:05 AM.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission