2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
77 members (20/20 Vision, amc252, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 15 invisible), 1,965 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Planoag Offline OP
OP Offline
I am looking to buy a grand piano for my wife and have narrowed my choices to two. One is a 8-10 Weinbach 5'8" that is in great chape and sounds good to me (I have no ear for music so I don't know what good is ;-)). The second is a new Brodman 6'1" that also sounds good but I since they are in different stores, I can't really compare the two together. I have a very large room (26'x23' with cathedral ceiling) so I'm leaning towards the Broadman (because it's larger). They are roughly the same in price even though the list price is higher on the Broadman. Is it worth it to buy new over used for the warranty? I worry that the Broadman may not be around for the 10 years and that it really won't matter at all;-) So any sage advice for a newbie who knows nothing about pianos? Thanks,

S
S
pianoag,
Which one does your wife like best?

Before buying the Weinbach, have a piano technician check it out. They are great pianos.

The Broadman is a good piano but is one of severalbrands of chinese made pianos.

Good luck

Representing Shigeru Kawai, Kawai, Hailun, Pearl River, Kawai Digital Pianos, Samick Digitals, Roland Digitals, & Lowrey Organs
St. Louis Metro Area
www.lacefieldmusic.com
find us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/lacefieldmusic
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Buy the Steinway!! You will not BELIEVE the things that will happen to you!! You may even start speaking in tongues!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J, Mark, thumb laugh laugh

Bear

Barry J "Bear" Arnaut ♫
46 Years in the Piano Industry
Retired Kawai/Shigeru Kawai Regional Manager
(My posts and threads are my opinions only)
ftp Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Plano,

You understand your wife best. Is she going to respond more to your surprise and the thoughtfulness of your gift or to tone, touch, color and/or appearance? Once you have answered this question you can decide whether or not to engage her in the process.

If you do the research it really comes down to many subjective preferences, but many believe tone, touch then price is a good order. Of course one also needs to factor in color/appearance and only you can decide where that fits.

Planoag Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm trying to make ths a surprise since I know she will like that aspect the most. Both dealers say that if she doesn't like it I can trade back to the store on something else. Big difference here is that the store with the Weinbach is a Steinway dealer and most everything he has is "way" more expensive ;-) The guy with the Brodmann seems to have a more "inexpensive" line of pianos (has mostly used with the Brodmann being his only "new" line). So I kind of worry about buyng from him (not as reputable dealer in town as the first one). The Weinbach is in great shape per the technicion that has worked on it it's whole life.

ftp Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Plano,

When looking at a used piano, the condition matters a lot. You have a frame of reference from the technician. Generally people believe the longer the piano the better the tone but this is only with all other things being equal. The Weinbach is probably Czech made and cost more new and the Brodmann is likely made in China and thought of by many here as a promising "next generation" Chinese piano.

Setting all of that aside if I were you I would be tempted to bring along a good pianist and listen to both pianos and see if the two of you can agree on a preference.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Brodmann is likely made in China and thought of by many here as a promising "next generation" Chinese piano.
Is sure is.

The moment first class pianists and top end teachers are starting to choose a piano relatively new on the market, we know we're on to something.

A piano may be 'ahead of its time' but that's the moment one better take note.

We saw this 12 years ago with Estonia and we're seeing it now with Brodmann.

Norbert

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Pianoag,

In my opinion whatever you buy, buy it from a reputable dealer.

How much are the prices? We might be able to help a little bit better if we know what the prices are.

Remember, used pianos usually have no manufacturers warranty, unless it is a full transferrable warranty. A dealer warranty is only good through the selling dealer and is worthless if the selling dealer goes out of business. A factory warranty is good through the manufacturer provided the manufacturer doesn't go out of business either!

Best of luck with your decision.

Bear

Barry J "Bear" Arnaut ♫
46 Years in the Piano Industry
Retired Kawai/Shigeru Kawai Regional Manager
(My posts and threads are my opinions only)
There are several threads on gifts and surprise with the piano. Please read them. It altered my course for the better. I was planning the surprise my wife as well with a piano. After reading here, I took everyones OVERWHELMING advice of having her play and choose her piano. It is too personal a choice for someone else to make. My wife would have been happy with what I would gotten her, but I realized it would have been by far the wrong choice. Let her choose the piano she loves. Surprise her by the fact you have the done the research, and are considerate enough to let her choose her instrument. Trust everyone on this one. Good luck!

Aloha!
[Linked Image]
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
The Weinbach is in great shape per the technicion that has worked on it it's whole life.
No opinion here on the choice except to say that your wife should decide.

However, I think it's good to get a second tech opinion. If the tech who has serviced it its whole life is to give an opinion, he is unlikely to say that it has problems. That would be a reflection on him. Get a tech to work for YOU before you decide to pull the trigger on the Weinbach.

Most professionals who know Petrof/Weinbach say that the quality has increased steadily in the past 10 to 15 years. What does that say about a 10-yr-old Weinbach? I don't know, but I think it's worth finding out.

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
What are you refering to as in 8-10? The age or condition ? Weinbachs and Petrofs 8-10 years ago were not happening so I'm hoping you are refering to the condition and the preowned piano is much newer. Renner or Detoa action ? To confuse the issue they did both depending on years of production.

www.pastperfectpiano.com
Largest selection in the USA
100+Steinway and M&H grands
Warehouse showroom Onsite Restoration
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8RvhXGKzY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voo0zumHGgE
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
If you change our mind, the substitute will probably be a much worse price discount.

R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
I agree with polostrings--a piano is a wonderful gift, and I am sure your wife will be thrilled with the surprise of a piano. The surprise can be the gift, not the piano itself. Get her a piano charm on a chain that she can wear, accompanied by a note setting up a date for the two of you to go try out the pianos together. You should let her choose. Piano preferences are very individual, and she will be the one playing it. It is fabulous that you are getting the piano for her in the first place. I don't think letting her choose the piano will reduce the wonderfulness of the present and your clear commitment of time in the search process.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
You are receiving some good advice. A surprise grand piano is truly a grandstand play. If you really want to do something nice for the Mrs., take her shopping and let her select.

Piano Technician, member Piano Technicians Guild.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Planoag, Especially because you have no ear, you would be better off letting your wife choose the piano she would like in your home and like to listen to. She has to touch it, to hear it, to look at it. She should select. It might be one thing if you had an ear for music or were going to play it as much as she. If it is to be hers, she should pick.

Consider an anaology: suppose you played baseball or tennis or golf? Would you want someone who does not play these sports to pick a bat or racquet or a set of clubs for you?

Planoag Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks to everyone and their advice. I have been convinced and I will take her to look at the pianos and let her choose what she wants.
;-)

You are a wise man! Fill us in on the results. It tells us a lot about you, that you would give up the "big surprise" for the long term happiness of your wife.

Aloha!
[Linked Image]
S
S
If I may make a suggestion.

Now you are bringing the wife in to the decision and the piano is for her, I will assume she is the player so you might let 'her' narrow 'her' choices.

Good luck.

A McBain-Carnes Piano Company - Since the 1920's
391 South Winchester Blvd San Jose, California
Purveyor for: Shigeru Kawai, Kawai, Walter Pianos
Preowned: Yamaha/Steinway (408)248-9200
www.sanjosepianostore.com
Originally posted by Planoag:
Thanks to everyone and their advice. I have been convinced and I will take her to look at the pianos and let her choose what she wants.
;-)
Good move!! I was going to chime in, but it looks like I don't have to.

You can still surprise her. Take her out to dinner with the anticipation that something exciting will follow, and then take her to see the pianos.

Charles Walter Queen Anne 1520 (polished cherry)
Roland fp-4 (black)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission