2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 11 invisible), 1,910 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 18 19
V
V
The note in question is definitely in the lower staff. At least Chopin wrote it and published it so. The Henle urtext, as mentioned, keeps it that way.

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Another vote for Gaspard. And, whereas I really love other Ravel's works,
every time I listen to that I am thinking - what is this thing about???
For me, it's one of the longest and most demanding pieces writen without sense and aim.
Among the best known pieces it's the one.

Also - tons of infantile music of Mozart.
Many of Beethoven Sonatas.
90% of Ludovico Einaudi
Clair de Lune - not because of the piece itself, but because wherever you look it's there. You open refrigirator - Debussy laugh

I don't understand your hatred about the Islamey (and I remember the old topic about it also).

D minor Chaccone is great. If you want to have an ultimate performance - listen to the Jorge Bolet. Never hear it better. It's mind blowig.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by kapelli

There goes your PW reputation down the drain right there. laugh

Regards,

Polyphonist
Originally Posted by Polyphonist

Kapelli's not disliking of 10% of Einaudi is much worse than that!

Originally Posted by ChopinLives81
If it were in another key, would that solve the problem?

Probably not, although a minor key might make it more palatable.

That's an interesting idea - Black Key Etude in F# minor. Why don't you go try it out? (But then it wouldn't be the Black Key Etude any more, would it? laugh )

I would, but that would involve me learning an etude that I don't like in an experimental key change which may or may not yield positive results. Unfortunately, I'm not at a level where I can grab a Chopin etude and learn it with little time invested, not to mention the fact that I would have to sit down transpose and work out the fingering.

That's been already done, in a way:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bezWp0O0vB8

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Oh, that's interesting. I didn't even know it existed. It's the kind of thing a Godowsky study might do.

Regards,

Polyphonist
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Liszt_BG
The note in question is definitely in the lower staff. At least Chopin wrote it and published it so. The Henle urtext, as mentioned, keeps it that way.

Well....a few things: smile

-- There can't be any "definitely" about it. That's wishful thinking.

-- Many people (well, some people....OK, at least I anyway) grin view the term "urtext" as being meaningless about Chopin. The term implies that there's a single version that represents the "real" and "pure" manuscript. That exists with many classical composers; it doesn't really with Chopin, including because of:
-- multiple manuscripts
-- errors
-- the fact (well, 'many' people regard it as a fact) grin ....that Chopin just didn't view his music that way.

BTW and FWIW, most of the scores on IMSLP -- about 3/4 of them; I was sort of trying to do an exact count but lost count a little....anyway it's about 3/4 -- have it in the upper clef.

O
O
Schumann Impromptus opus 5.
The theme from Clara is really weak, and Robert's genius can't really save it in his variations.
I had to play it once in an audition, and this did not change my mind about it. Quite the contrary...

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by maxmila

Kapelli's not disliking of 10% of Einaudi is much worse than that!

Haha laugh

It's just because this remaining 10% are good for romantic evening with your girlfirend and wine wink

Last edited by kapelli; 12/31/13 07:54 AM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
That reminds me... everything be Ludovico Einaudi. I'd elaborate but I don't want to insult anyone here who may like him.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Another vote for Gaspard. And, whereas I really love other Ravel's works,
every time I listen to that I am thinking - what is this thing about???
For me, it's one of the longest and most demanding pieces writen without sense and aim.
Among the best known pieces it's the one.

90% of Ludovico Einaudi
Clair de Lune - not because of the piece itself, but because wherever you look it's there. You open refrigirator - Debussy laugh

I don't understand your hatred about the Islamey (and I remember the old topic about it also).

D minor Chaccone is great. If you want to have an ultimate performance - listen to the Jorge Bolet. Never hear it better. It's mind blowig.

Sometimes it just amazes me that there is any agreement at all about how music affects people or what people think is good music.

This thread definitely reminds me that in a forum like this, it is best to try to avoid assuming that anyone commenting about any music actually hears what I hear when I listen to the same music. Obviously, we don't. But, then, again, sometimes we may. There's no easy way to figure it out. What's surprising to me sometimes is that we can communicate anything through classical music at all, much less have any discussions about any of it.

V
V
I think Gaspard de la nuit is Ravel's finest piano work, whereas I can't really get into a number of other pieces of his.

I personally dislike hackneyed pieces, some of which are undoubtedly masterpieces of music. Chopin's B-flat minor scherzo is something I've just had my fill for a lifetime, I feel. Für Elise is another one..

Also nice one about Clair de lune, today's refrigerators, eh?

From a purely aesthetic standpoint I dislike a lot of XX century and contemporary music.

Last edited by Liszt_BG; 12/31/13 10:08 AM.
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
If it were in another key, would that solve the problem?

Probably not, although a minor key might make it more palatable.

That's an interesting idea - Black Key Etude in F# minor. Why don't you go try it out? (But then it wouldn't be the Black Key Etude any more, would it? laugh )

I learned the first 2 pages of Chopin 25/12 in Fmin. It sounds great this way.

As for a piece I can't stand, Liszt Ballade no 2 would probably get my top vote.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Another vote for Ravel's Bolero. yawn I though I was the only one hating that one, feels good to see that's not true.

BTW, I recently had the "pleasure" to "enjoy" it again and again and again whilst waiting to get through a customer service phone line. Don't companies check what music they torture their clients with???

Oh... and I'll add to the list the "Toreador Song" from Bizet's Carmen. Another one from which it's quite difficult to scape.

Last edited by evamar; 12/31/13 12:21 PM.

Serious since Dec 2013. March 2014, Kawai CA95!

Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted

[Linked Image]
Helloooo? Fur Elise, anyone?

1999 Petrof 125-111 (upright)
Casio Privia PX-330

Currently working on:
Chopin Etude op 25 #2 and op 10 #5
Schubert Op 90 #2, #3
Playing by ear and "filling out" pop tunes
Three other choices:

- Chopin Op 40 #1, the "Military Polonaise", is exhausting for me to listen to. It's relentlessly loud, doesn't have any "down" moments- there's no "whisper" to contrast the with the "storm", and its rhythms are so mercilessly square. It gives me a headache just thinking about it.

- Any piano music by Michael Nyman- for exactly the opposite reason to the Chopin, that is, there's no "Storm". The music's about as deep as a puddle.

- There are vast stretches of the music of Wagner and Bruckner that bore me. I think the key reason is, in fact, illustrated in the words "vast stretches."

Last edited by Brad Hoehne; 12/31/13 01:29 PM.

Casio Privia PX-330

Currently working on:
Schubert Op 90 #2, #3
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Brad Hoehne

I must be masochistic, I actually quite like it. blush But only when played complete, not only the first part. It was one of my first to learn and I have made a point to keep it in my repertoire.. but I think it's impossible to forget even if I wanted to.

It's one of those pieces that absolutely everybody knows well, as opposed to some lovely pieces that most people simply will not have a clue about and even feel ignorant not to know. I see it as a good ice breaker to start with.

Serious since Dec 2013. March 2014, Kawai CA95!

Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by evamar

I must be masochistic, I actually quite like it. blush But only when played complete, not only the first part. It was one of my first to learn and I have made a point to keep it in my repertoire.. but I think it's impossible to forget even if I wanted to.

The fact that it is often not played complete may be part of the reason (though the "B" section is not all that thrilling to me, either.)

I lived for a time in Brazil. Once a day, almost every day, the "gas truck"- a vehicle that drifted slowly up and down the streets, selling propane gas for use in stoves the way Ice Cream trucks do in the USA- would circle around where I was staying. The traditional song of the gas truck in this region of Brazil was "Fur Elise."- and a soul-less, truncated, timbirally grating, inescapable, and incessant version it was.

I'd like to think that there's something inherent in the piece that makes me dislike it, but, perhaps, it's simply its ubiquity and association with grating performances of it.

Last edited by Brad Hoehne; 12/31/13 01:16 PM.

Casio Privia PX-330

Currently working on:
Schubert Op 90 #2, #3
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A

- Chopin Op 40 #1, the "Military Polonaise", is exhausting for me to listen to. It's relentlessly loud, doesn't have any "down" moments- there's no "whisper" to contrast the with the "storm", and its rhythms are so mercilessly square.

Whilst I wouldn't go so far as to say I 'can't stand' it, I generally share your sentiments. OTH, no one would claim it's one of Chopin's more difficult pieces, and it makes a nice showpiece for a young student.

Indirectly Chopin (through no fault of his own) is responsible for a piece I truly detest: Glazunov's Les Sylphides. I gag when it comes up on the radio, and what a horrid thing to do to Chopin's music! (Just goes to show how perfectly Chopin works on the piano, and how frightfully awkward it is when orchestrated.)

Jason
What's so bad about the 10/5?

Yeah, I kind of like it. It's an upbeat, fluttery, delightful little bon-bon.

Casio Privia PX-330

Currently working on:
Schubert Op 90 #2, #3
Page 3 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 18 19

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission