2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, clothearednincompo, bcalvanese, booms, 10 invisible), 1,967 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 263 of 540 1 2 261 262 263 264 265 539 540
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by casinitaly
SandTiger- I hear you --- I often hesitate to say I'm more than a beginner - and we can see from the posts here, how many interpretations of "beginner" there are!
What kind of mood does your Avenue D piece have? The title makes me think of some snappy uptown New Yorker piece with a sassy attitude. Am I even close? smile
I googled your bike - it is much sleeker than mine smile

Mary Bee -- that is the coolest gift (well, your clarinet lamps come close, but ....) Your husband is amazing to have thought of that!!! I'm blown away!

Casinitaly, Sassy? Hard to say. I am originally from New York City, but there are many cities with an Avenue D, including my current city. The name feels like a good fit, even though I have a difficult time describing the music. It is hard to be objective after spending so much time writing, practicing and recording. In a year or two, I will likely have more perspective.

MaryBee, an original piece is a thoughtful gift.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Today I drop the children at the swimming pool, I left them with my husband because children are not allowed to stay there unattended; then I walked to the Yamaha grand and played from 5 pm to 6.30 pm. Nobody around, best time in The Netherlands this year!

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by MaryBee
Yesterday my husband came up to me with a guilty look and said he had to tell me something, because I was going to find out anyway. I was pretty sure it had something to do with spending too much money, because that's what it always is. I was right, but the reason why just blew me away.

For my birthday present, he has asked my piano teacher, who is a composer, to write a piano piece for me. They have been planning this for several months, all without me knowing. I don't know if it's going to be for my birthday this year or next, but it doesn't matter. I can't believe my husband came up with that wonderful idea -- I am just amazed at his thoughtfulness! 2hearts

Anyway, I had to share this exciting news with my friends here. I'm sure once it's finished and I've learned it, you'll be hearing it at a future ABF recital! smile

I shared this with my hubby. He could not believe there was such a wonderful guy like your husband. He thought he was rather generous for allowing me indulge in my affliction. Yes he thinks all the pianists are complete nut cakes.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks EdwardianPiano. I think of Mabel as Cecil's cousin from across the Pond.

SandTiger - I'm looking forward to your recital piece, regardless of the name. smile Avenue D makes me think of a smoky jazz lounge... smooth all the way. Sometimes simple is the most effective way to communicate, and can be very powerful and evocative.

MaryBee - that is pretty amazing! And very cool that you appreciate it so much.

Originally Posted by aTallGuyNH
Originally Posted by MaryBee
TallGuy -- So how did you swing that? Were you invited to play there, or did you find the door unlocked and sneak in?

Good question... closer to the latter. I was loaned a key previously by someone, unofficially, so that I could practice on the awful grand mentioned above. He's never asked for the key back (I visit a couple times a year), and I haven't volunteered either. smile I pick and choose my moments as to when to take advantage of this circumstance, i.e. when the "officials" are about, if anyone were to hear me and come in with questions, I wouldn't want to be in the position of throwing my benefactor under the bus, as it were.

I really should give the key back so that on a trip-by-trip basis I have to ask and he can decide if he's comfortable with me having the key for those days.

Done. I spoke with my benevolent benefactor smile when I arrived last night. He was fine with me keeping the key for the duration of my stay this week. Sadly though, the Yamaha will not be back until next year. There is a 1947 Hammond CV though, so I might record on that. I just got my feet wet with it a bit last year after getting it going from being in a derelict state. It is soooooo much fun!

Originally Posted by aTallGuyNH
I've found the solution for this already though... The Yamaha was only there temporarily, it was moved two days later, so I was back to using the horrendous and ancient baby grand (out of tune, bad action, missing a string, harp is falling apart, the mother of all squeaky pedals, etc.) that is normally in that space. After that experience for a few days, coming back home and playing Rufus was a delight!

And... tonight I got to listen to a teenager play the ancient baby grand. Amazing what can be done with what I think of as a hunk of junk in the hands of a skilled practitioner.

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
TallGuy, a humbling experience....One I think many of us can relate to!

My AOTW (or day, whatever, I don't remember last time I posted)..... I got a reasonable recording of Watchman's Song. Not one that I want to post - but close. I feel very pleased about it.

I have been recording almost every day, and it is very interesting to hear improvements even in the space of such a short time. The most notable change was in the Fughetta - I'm now playing it much faster and more smoothly - I think I'm getting the hang of this focused practice -FINALLY!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
MaryBee - What a wonderful gift and what a special husband you have!!

Tangleweeds - I do not envy you dealing with a move. I have moved seven times in the last 22 years, and I am never doing it again!

FarmGirl - your piano club sounds like fun!

My AOTW is I have a good recording of Grieg "Melody", and a passable one on "Valse Impromptu". That takes the pressure off. I think I will consider myself done with Melody, but keep trying for a better recording of the Valse. I have a stack of pieces I am dying to start, but I need to get these two off my job stack first!

I did begin Chopin Waltz in A minor, which is his easiest waltz. I was pleased to find out I could sight read it near tempo. I think in another week it will be presentable. I decided to learn it because I really like it!

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by SwissMS
I did begin Chopin Waltz in A minor, which is his easiest waltz. I was pleased to find out I could sight read it near tempo. I think in another week it will be presentable. I decided to learn it because I really like it!

smile I love this too and can do similar when reading. If you just work on those couple of tricky bits, the main melody wouldn't take too much work to get smooth I think. And it is such a wonderful piece!

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
W
W
Hi,

Main achivement this week was getting to play a simplified version of Beethoven's "ode to joy". Took me a bit to get it more or less right but plenty of practice did it.

Really looking forward to starting music lessons.

Wouter;

A
A
Simplified as far as the first piece of Alfred's method? It's a start laugh

David Lanz - Skyline Firedance Suite
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 7 Main Theme
[Linked Image]
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
AOTW is not a specific milestone this week but a flow of dedicated work on several pieces. The two Grieg pieces for sure. They improve and then I notice more detail. I'd like to tell you they are memorized but as well as I know them, the sheet music still needs to be there as my prop. I'm still maintaining and pushing on the Mozart Viennese Sonatina. I want to have all 4 sections (I'm at 2 1/2). I've pulled up the Mendelssohn again and it's like I've never seen it. Same with the Schumann Traumeri. Maybe mine will be more an AOTYear and I'll realize progress in a longer increment. Maybe I should say my AOTW is buying the theory book for the class I start on Monday. My music colleagues on campus are letting me sit in on the Piano Theory class. The book was $220!!! No wonder my students complain about textbooks.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member
What textbook is your Piano Theory class using? I collect and study old editions of college music theory (and other music stuff) textbooks.

Please step aside. You're standing in your own way.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Glad everyone is doing so well. I've spent a good amount of time listening to the recital but also working on my summer piano projects.

I was very pleased to get a new recording of my Grieg that is perfectly acceptable to present....however, given that there are still several weeks, to the deadline, I'm going to keep working on it. I've fallen in love with it smile

[Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I was very pleased to get a new recording of my Grieg that is perfectly acceptable to present....however, given that there are still several weeks, to the deadline, I'm going to keep working on it. I've fallen in love with it smile

I bolded the above, because I think it makes all the difference. If you don't love it, it is really hard to improve it! Congratulations on getting a good recording!

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member

I bolded the above, because I think it makes all the difference. If you don't love it, it is really hard to improve it! Congratulations on getting a good recording!

smile I agree - and thanks!!

[Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
3 hours of gardening, cleared the laundry basket and washed the car!

Be yourself

R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R

smile I agree - and thanks!!

That's what I think it's all about. That's when it really becomes music. It must come from the heart. Congrats Cas. I'd just leave that recorder going all the time. You already got good. No pressure. You might end up with something special.

My AOTW... It seems my teacher has faced the fact that I'm not at all like her children. Not all all like most of society. I'm not a parrot. I fight learning that way. I must control the autonomic nervous system with my heart/mind. Not allow the autonomic and the world to control me.
Yes I stumble through things badly. I could feel like a real doofus. Yet, at times, things will fall together and I go way way up on quality of music. She recognizes this. She liked that I told her that when I practice. I'll go back to pieces we did a month or two ago. They are so much easier. I'm not up against that wall of obtaining sophistication of my nervous system. They come together much better. I asked her about going back through pieces after we're finished with Alfred's One. She told me to watch out. She's known for doing that. She will focus on pieces I had problems with. I thought: Haha... I had problems with every one of them. smile She is really good at focusing on really teaching. Not requiring me to become part of the cookie cutter. Also she insists on talking about chords as: "Your 7 chord, or your 5 chord" Giving me understanding in referring that way.
Since we're coming up on the school year. The children are getting back into lessons. I asked her about them. She said there are alot of them. They are mostly first chair students. The band director doesn't have time to work with them individually. They want to obtain a scholarship. So they work with her to be their very best. She also has children who just don't get it. They don't know their notes. They simply don't put in the time is the problem.
She also told me she looks forward to the day I tell her: I'm ready to play Schindler's List as a performance for her. I admitted to her that I don't put in as much time as I'd like to or should on it. The reason is I spend time working on these new pieces in Alfred's instead. I know that is where my learning is at. I love playing Shindler's List. It's coming along.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
F
F
Well my achievement was, after 25 years, taking early retirement as of yesterday.

Now I can't sleep!

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Tangleweeds: The textbook for the theory class is titled "Tonal Harmony" authors Kostka, Payne, and Almen.

Congratulations Forstergirl on your retirement...hope that you enjoy it.

Casinitaly, I'm so impressed that you got a good recording of your Grieg. I love my piece(s) too but when I sat down and played them yesterday for a couple of guests, my brain disappeared and the music was riddled with glitches. Granted I had just finished hosting a party for 30 people with all the requisite cleaning, planning, and setup but I was distressed to see how easily it fell apart under pressure. BUT the achievement is that I DID play it in front of people.
LOL.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Tubbie, that was a very productive day! I bet you were too tired to play piano though!

Rmaple: Yes - now that I have a perfectly acceptable recording, I am calm - and if the red dot is on, I may just end up with something rather special....maybe...:) I am developing a special affinity with this music.

It sounds as though you have found a really good match with your teacher. I am a teacher and I know that you have to find different approaches for some students. Many will fall into the "you can do this standard stuff and they will learn" category - others need a completely different approach. It can be really stimulating to teach folks who push me into figuring out how to change MY style so that I can teach them with an approach that works for them. Stick with this one - she sounds like a gem!

ForsterGirl - welcome! and congratulations. Just think how much time you'll have for playing the piano now!

Wisebuff - good for you for playing your pieces. Try not to dwell on the fact that it didn't go as well as you would have liked, but maybe DO take some time to figure out what happened and analyse it a bit. Was it pure nerves? Were there spots you thought you knew, but it turns out you didn't and they lead to a crumble? I'm going to be working on performance issues with my teacher when we start up again in Sept (he says "performance standards"...I say "issues" lol...). I think the biggest "problem" is that most of us just don't have enough experience playing in front of others (except perhaps our long-suffering family members) - and we are too easily thrown off.
I am quite sure that for me, there is a concentration issue. Even when I am on my own, I feel I have lack consistency in solid -truly focused concentration.

On the other hand... I have noticed that the delightful sensation of feeling relaxed and having the music flow has repeated itself a few times this past week - with NEW pieces, not old familiar ones - this is tremendously exciting and tells me that something has changed for the better!

[Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Casinitaly, I don't know what got over me today. I did all that and 3 separate hours of piano practice, including Rachmaninov's G# minor and G minor preludes, Chopin's Fantaisie Impromptu and C minor nocturne... then I wondered off to Canon in D and 1-handed twinkle twinkle little star, which then turned into chromatic scales, which then turned into Fur Elise and for some reasons (probably because of the same key), started playing Michael Nyman's The Heart asks Pleasure First. Then I concluded the day with random chords and ended with C major arpeggios ascending to the highest note on the piano and then descended with C minor to the lowest C I could go.

I only had 2 cups of coffee today. I don't know what happened to me. Wish I could do that again tomorrow!

Be yourself

Page 263 of 540 1 2 261 262 263 264 265 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission