Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2206566 - 01/01/14 07:46 PM Somewhat OT....but seriously looking for suggestions...
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
From the hungry playing thread. People here who drink wine. I know it's good for you to drink some wine. Just like I intake some other things for the sake of good. Like blue green algae. For the trace supplements I might not get otherwise. Not a lot or often. But I do. That's what I'm interested in with wine.

Looking for suggestions on good inexpensive wine?

Please don't suggest Passover wine. That stuff is sweet! It's too good! I'd drink too much of it.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2206698 - 01/02/14 02:08 AM Re: Somewhat OT....but seriously looking for suggestions... [Re: rnaple]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Well, lay off the helium for starters! (but it`s gotta be better than propane . . .
Seriously, me and `er drink a little of the supermarket`s cheapest. Plastic bottles, no corks. We both find them more pleasant than the more expensive stuff. Not as strong either . . .but you do need a degree of unsophistication for it to work! Always worth a try, mind.

""

#2206700 - 01/02/14 02:26 AM Re: Somewhat OT....but seriously looking for suggestions... [Re: rnaple]
Bamburg Offline

I work as a cooper (I make wine barrels by hand) and the people I do it for are always sending me bottles of this and that as a thank you for quality work or whatever (people in the wine industry seek very hospitable.)

If you'd like I could make a few suggestions for you. If you're doing it for health reasons I'm guessing you are only after reds? Any flavor preference other than "not sweet"? Also, for what it's worth I'm told reds tend to have higher caloric content in general just because they tend to be heavier and more complex, so if you're worried about watching your calorie intake you may want to do some additional research.

#2206702 - 01/02/14 02:27 AM Re: Somewhat OT....but seriously looking for suggestions... [Re: rnaple]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
I used to think pianists are cut out of fine cloth like silk. I came to know quite a bit of pianists. I was surprised to find most of them (except a couple of extremely wealthy folks) are really down to earth. They don't seem to mind drinking cheap wines and eating pizzas. For my parties, I usually have a dozen of both kinds, expensive ($30 a bottle and up) and table wines (between $7 and 16). My musician friends seem to open from the familiar inexpensive grocery store brands. So my suggestion is to get a grocery store brand unless your guests are all lawyers or something like that.
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

#2206711 - 01/02/14 03:08 AM Re: Somewhat OT....but seriously looking for suggestions... [Re: rnaple]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
I have no idea what's available in your area, but if you are planning on a bit of wine for your health's sake I agree that you want red wines rather than white.

#2206713 - 01/02/14 03:19 AM Re: Somewhat OT....but seriously looking for suggestions... [Re: rnaple]
wimpiano Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
For health there are only so few wines which actually have any positive effect.

Tannat grapes are 1st place. Malbec/Auxerrois/Cot grapes second. And also only grown in the South West of France. (Terroir seems to be key). Madiran and the region around it. Cahors perhaps.. (nice wine!!)

The rest of the wines does not even come close and won't have any significant positive health effect.

Edited by wimpiano (01/02/14 03:49 AM)

#2206717 - 01/02/14 03:29 AM Re: Somewhat OT....but seriously looking for suggestions... [Re: rnaple]
1000 Post Club Member

Oh and by the way, if you just want a good wine for little money:

The (French) Languedoc produces more and more good wines (AOC Pic Saint Loup being one example) which are mostly priced lower then some of the bigger names while they're often of equal or better quality/taste.

As to the availability of these wines in the US I am clueless.

#2206757 - 01/02/14 07:47 AM Re: Somewhat OT....but seriously looking for suggestions... [Re: peterws]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Originally Posted By: peterws

Seriously, me and `er drink a little of the supermarket`s cheapest. . .but you do need a degree of unsophistication for it to work!

laugh

But this approach only applies to vintages less than 3 months old...and only to wines packaged in large plastic boxes with a side spout...and only to those from wineries labeled with a fake Italian name located in downtown, rundown Los Angeles...perfect companions to sauerkraut & pork over loaded mashed potatoes...

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#2206764 - 01/02/14 08:13 AM Re: Somewhat OT....but seriously looking for suggestions... [Re: rnaple]
jdw Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
I'd suggest looking for an Italian red. You can find these for cheap in the large size bottles. They generally won't be as sweet as American wines.
Mozart, K 330
Brahms, Op. 118 no. 2

#2206771 - 01/02/14 08:41 AM Re: Somewhat OT....but seriously looking for suggestions... [Re: rnaple]
evamar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Spanish living in UK
Well.. at the end we all drink wines from Chile, it doesn't matter what the label says... .

Being Spanish I was introduced to wine at maybe 4-5 years old and taught to enjoy it and drink without ending up drunk, cannot stand stupid drunk people and people who think they have to get drunk to have a good night out. People here in the UK go mad for beer, and I also enjoy it, I'm not particularly snob as long as we are not talking p***.

But something absolutely awful that many British people drink is wine concentrate (??? What's in there? My point precisely!). They actually import it in plastic bags, mix it with water and then bottle it here. Tastes sirupy and they like it!!! uggg

So I would avoid any wine saying "bottled in the UK". Some real British white wines are surprisingly good, all being said.

Spanish and Italian "normal table" cheap wines tend to be of better quality than cheap French wines. Their more expensive wines tend to be of slightly better quality, though.

Can't go wrong with Rioja red wines, specially reservas. Marques de Caceres is brilliant for something special. And for something not especial, a very cheap but surprisingly good wine is "Estola", from La Mancha (Yes... Don Quixote and all that, if you know what I'm talking about).

Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted

#2206774 - 01/02/14 08:46 AM Re: Somewhat OT....but seriously looking for suggestions... [Re: evamar]
1000 Post Club Member

@evamar
With you on Chile.

Don't like Rioja though, suppose it's the tempranillo.

About Italian wine: Wine from Tuscany is regularly good and not too expensive (unless you buy Brunello or a good Chianti, those are GOOOD but expensive).

About cheap French wine: only good when from "unknown" regions. Cheap Bordeaux is among the worst.

Wine concentrate sounds like the devil.

Edited by wimpiano (01/02/14 08:46 AM)

#2206777 - 01/02/14 08:53 AM Re: Somewhat OT....but seriously looking for suggestions... [Re: rnaple]
malkin Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Just go to the store, see what's available, and try something! If it is a store with some sort of knowledgable and helpful customer service, they will be happy to help you.

#2206779 - 01/02/14 08:56 AM Re: Somewhat OT....but seriously looking for suggestions... [Re: wimpiano]
evamar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: wimpiano

That's a too soft approach to this ugly invention! uuugggggg

Worst thing is that many people here think it's actually wine!!! crazy

#2206783 - 01/02/14 08:58 AM Re: Somewhat OT....but seriously looking for suggestions... [Re: rnaple]
malkin Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Wine concentrate sounds like poison.
I can imagine the headache!

#2206871 - 01/02/14 12:38 PM Re: Somewhat OT....but seriously looking for suggestions... [Re: rnaple]
joyoussong Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
I bought 2 reds before Christmas -
Sangiovese Daunia - Farnese (Italy/$9.99) I was introduced to this wine a few years ago by one of the families I tutor for, liked it enough to note what it was, & to buy it a few times since.
Inniskillin Merlot 2011 (from the Okanagan valley, B.C./$16.99) It's been years since I last stooped to buying BC wine - it used to be swill. But I'd heard with new varieties of grapes, they're actually producing some good stuff, & this one I REALLY liked.

Don't know if either of these is available where you are, Ron (which I think is the U.S.) But if they are, you might like one or the other.

#2206903 - 01/02/14 01:36 PM Re: Somewhat OT....but seriously looking for suggestions... [Re: rnaple]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
Rule of thumb, from my experience, inexpensive Spanish wines are quite often a good value. Also some South American wines.

Get a wine drinking friend to walk you through the wine section of your favorite grocery store or wine superstore. I'm thinking specifically of Total Wine here. They seem to be nationwide. They occasionally have tasting classes and wines in all price ranges at competitive prices. And they have stickers on staff favorites and write ups as to why you might like this wine.

If you have a tendency to overindulge on the Mogen David you're
definitely a sweet red drinker. "Sweet" covers a very wide area
though, from really sweet desert wines to almost dry. Somewhere
in that range you'll should find a good tasting good for you red. Grenache would be a good one to start with.

#2206950 - 01/02/14 02:38 PM Re: Somewhat OT....but seriously looking for suggestions... [Re: rnaple]
stumbler Offline

Loc: Toronto
I wouldn't know what is available in your area, but you should keep in mind that wine goes best with food, the more strongly flavoured the food is, the "bigger" the wine should be.

If you are a person who is subject to migraines, red wine might not be for you. I've known a few people who don't drink red wine or eat chocolate due to migraines.

If you are thinking of light consumption, maybe a glass a day, then you may find that some wines start tasting medicinal the next day or even after a few hours. Others are fine for a few days. Some people have a device for pumping the air out of an opened bottle---supposed to help the wine keep for longer periods. Some wines need to sit opened for a short period before drinking.

#2206982 - 01/02/14 03:59 PM Re: Somewhat OT....but seriously looking for suggestions... [Re: stumbler]
malkin Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

I was just wondering if S. Dakota had normal liquor stores or a state run thingy like we have in Utah. I googled, and there's a shop called Booze Boys, which I'm pretty sure isn't the official state monopoly kind of store.

smile

#2206985 - 01/02/14 04:03 PM Re: Somewhat OT....but seriously looking for suggestions... [Re: rnaple]
scorpio Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Connecticut, USA
We use box (red) wine for everyday use. Good on the wallet and lasts (although that never seems to be an issue) on the shelf.

#2207049 - 01/02/14 05:51 PM Re: Somewhat OT....but seriously looking for suggestions... [Re: evamar]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Originally Posted By: evamar

Ya had me looking at the "bottle" just now . . it`s bottled in Spain and goes down real easy . . .10% proof. So I guess it`s not concentrate . .

""

#2207084 - 01/02/14 07:39 PM Re: Somewhat OT....but seriously looking for suggestions... [Re: peterws]
rnaple Offline

I appreciate all the thoughts and experience. smile

Keep them coming.

I'm thinking about options.
Generally don't like to buy here. Can usually get way better price including shipping elsewhere.

Malkin.....It's normal here. Not state run.

I used to work with a guy. When he was out of town. He'd drink a bottle of wine every night after work. The only label he paid attention to was the price tag.

Edited by rnaple (01/02/14 07:40 PM)

#2207287 - 01/03/14 05:00 AM Re: Somewhat OT....but seriously looking for suggestions... [Re: rnaple]
AimeeO Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013

Loc: New Orleans
I tend to avoid wines with cutesy labels..
For table wine, we usually drink California reds. Blackstone seems to be pretty consistent. We usually spend 8-9 dollars a bottle. We usually stick to the Pinot noir, but the others aren't bad, either.

#2207838 - 01/04/14 01:34 AM Re: Somewhat OT....but seriously looking for suggestions... [Re: rnaple]
rnaple Offline

I did look around town here.
There are a few good stores for wine.
One seems especially good. They have wine tasting every Friday evening from 5 to 7.
They appear to know what they are talking about with wine. Very helpful.
And they have a French Bulldog named: Bernard. Now I just have to not die laughing when I go there. I can't help but laugh when those dog's snort. smile
So I'll see. The ability to drop by there each week and taste. That is worth a lot.

#2207848 - 01/04/14 02:28 AM Re: Somewhat OT....but seriously looking for suggestions... [Re: peterws]
evamar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: peterws
Originally Posted By: evamar

Ya had me looking at the "bottle" just now . . it`s bottled in Spain and goes down real easy . . .10% proof. So I guess it`s not concentrate . .

I don't think you could get an Italian, French or Spanish person to swallow concentrate and think it's actual wine, tbh. But British people... plenty, and many even think it's a good wine! Just as it happens in other Northern European countries where wine is still considered "posh". Adding sugar and other monstruosities are not common in places where people tend to know and enjoy their wines.

You have to look at labels saying "bottled in the UK" ... danger! Specially if red wine! But as I said, some real British wines -at least some white wines I have tried- are very decent. Concentrates are another matter all together...

#2207891 - 01/04/14 05:57 AM Re: Somewhat OT....but seriously looking for suggestions... [Re: rnaple]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
The place with the bulldog sounds promising.

#2207943 - 01/04/14 10:03 AM Re: Somewhat OT....but seriously looking for suggestions... [Re: rnaple]
jdw Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Next question is, what wine goes best with which music? Do we sip red with Beethoven, white with Mozart? or...? smile
Mozart, K 330
Brahms, Op. 118 no. 2

#2207980 - 01/04/14 11:12 AM Re: Somewhat OT....but seriously looking for suggestions... [Re: rnaple]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
I believe that it is a myth that the more expensive a wine is, the better it is. Absolute folly. The more expensive the wine, the rarer and more exclusive, certainly. But better? Not that I've ever been able to tell. If you want a couple cheap reds:

Woodbridge by Robert Mondavi -- Merlot, Cab, or Cab-Merlot blend; 1.5L, $14

Robert Mondavi Private Stock -- Merlot, Cab, $10-12

Folonari -- Chianti, Pinot, Valpolicella, Montepulciano d'Abruzzo; 1.5L, $13

I've also tried things like Barefoot and Cupcake wine. Decent, not great, but for me, in the same category as the Folonari Pinot. These are usually around $8-10.

You can also get Yellow Tail Shiraz (Australian). Should be <$10.

Some Malbecs from Argentina are in this price range.. Alamos, for example, but I couldn't give you a brand I remember. I do enjoy some Malbecs, but can't recall a brand off the top of my head that I wowed me.

If you want a Bordeaux, I haven't found a single vintage under $20 that was worth it. $22-26 is a good bottom-out price range, usually around 3 years old, but if you go under $20, beware. (Conversely, if you happen to find one, please let me know.. lol)

#2208180 - 01/04/14 03:20 PM Re: Somewhat OT....but seriously looking for suggestions... [Re: jdw]
evamar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jdw
Next question is, what wine goes best with which music? Do we sip red with Beethoven, white with Mozart? or...? smile

un tequila, dos tequilas, tres tequilas.... LISZT!

ics... almost...

#2208185 - 01/04/14 03:27 PM Re: Somewhat OT....but seriously looking for suggestions... [Re: Derulux]
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Derulux
I believe that it is a myth that the more expensive a wine is, the better it is.

It's not a myth. It does not apply to each wine but believe me, I can have you taste wine which will blow your mind. And no, it's not available for $10 a bottle.

And yes, there's great wines for not so much money but good, complex wines are (whenever discovered, and after discovery it might take som time till the propper appreciation is there in price) EXPENSIVE. (I'm not screaming but the prices are unfortunately.) I allow myself a couple of these per year.

#2208186 - 01/04/14 03:27 PM Re: Somewhat OT....but seriously looking for suggestions... [Re: Derulux]
evamar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Derulux
I believe that it is a myth that the more expensive a wine is, the better it is. Absolute folly. The more expensive the wine, the rarer and more exclusive, certainly. But better? Not that I've ever been able to tell.

Absolutely true. Estola was a complete surprise to me. Imagine a extremely decent "Crianza" for under 4 euros and a "Gran Reserva" for about 8 euros. It's one of the daily wines we have when in Spain, and I'd say it's at the par with other wines 2 and 3 times more expensive.

If you like a particular wine you didn't know about, remember the maker and year and check prices, you might be up for quite a big surprise.

EDIT... and yes, some expensive wines are amazing... but for me they are for special occasions and I tend to look for good mid and low priced ones for everyday normal life. Some very cheap wines are terrible, but so are many more epensive ones.

Edited by evamar (01/04/14 03:31 PM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
This is punny
by Tango Vic
Yesterday at 11:58 PM
A brisk Fall day, a room to myself, and a large piano.
by TwoSnowflakes
Yesterday at 08:07 PM
Mixer for live-use
by Auver
Yesterday at 06:24 PM
Question on Kawai CA65 functions
by ColinDS
Yesterday at 04:30 PM
40 year old self-taught in love with Bach - What to do?
by pinkfloydhomer
Yesterday at 04:23 PM
Who's Online
78 registered (barbaram, 36251, anotherscott, Al LaPorte, 24 invisible), 1192 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76591 Members
42 Forums
158373 Topics
2325597 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission