2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, 13 invisible), 1,873 guests, and 261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
D
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D
I’m about to request a 2nd replacement (3rd x lucky?).

First pedal was fine until I decided to try half-pedalling in Vintage D. It became apparent that intermittently, on releasing the pedal, it would issue an involuntary echo. Cubase list editor showed a short string of sustain pedal controller values all less than 64 finishing on zero. This of course didn’t show up when earlier I’d been using the pedal as a simple on/off switch since ‘on’ requires a value of 64 or more. With half-pedalling enabled, the echo fault would make itself clearly audible by briefly triggering the string noises just as my foot was lifted clear of the pedal. In the short term I would have happily lived with the pedal operating satisfactorily in simple switched mode but then it developed an irritating squeak so decided it was time to ask for a replacement which I picked up on new-year’s eve.

All seemed fine at first, but yesterday and since it’s been quite difficult to coax a simple switched sustain out of the unit. If I press the pedal down to the floor it sometimes works but no sustain at all at the normal half-depressed state. Pressing the pedal to the floor and releasing, a cubase inspection shows a nice continuous curve of values, sometimes but not always reaching 64 - more rarely a little beyond.

Given its initial correct functioning I’m tempted to open the unit to see if there’s a height adjustment screw for whatever electro-mechanical device is doing the controlling – perhaps it’s slipped. That would save me a three-week wait for the next replacement. At least this one doesn’t squeak yet.

Anyone else having problems?

J
J
Dire Tonic,
I have no problems with mine - it goes from zero to 127.
The controller is a gear-driven pot. I could imagine the gear set screws having slipped. Here is a picture of the pedal insides. At the back are the gears, and behind them the pot.
[Linked Image]

This probable isn't your problem, but when I first hooked mine up, I had to remove some pedal conditioning I'd done in midi-ox to let the full range through.
There are some other pedal pix here:
http://www.joflaherty.org/VPC1/images/thumbs.html

Last edited by joflah; 01/02/14 12:35 PM. Reason: added link to pix

Jack
J
J
I just remembered something else- I measured the pedal resistance a few days ago, and it ran from about 50 ohms to 13.5 Kohms.

Jack
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I mentioned this in the other Kawai peadal issue thread, but the right way to do this is with a modulated IR beam or differential capacitance sensor. Constant beams and potentiometers are for the birds.

D
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D
Jack, many thanks for the pics and the reply - I had a feeling you might be able to help having already pulled the VPC1 apart. “set screw” – yes that was what I had in mind though I’d forgotten what it was called.

Too cowardly to meddle with the insides of the VPC1 I’m more tempted to open up the F-30. When I fixed a standard on/off sustain pedal some while ago it was a minor headache trying to re-locate the return spring while simultaneously closing the thing up. Should I expect a shower of springs to bounce around everywhere when I remove the underside base-plate or are the three pedals self-contained in their own way? Any problems putting it back together?

D
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by dewster
I mentioned this in the other Kawai peadal issue thread, but the right way to do this is with a modulated IR beam or differential capacitance sensor. Constant beams and potentiometers are for the birds.

I've no doubt you're right about this but with so many satisfied customers (with no one else having problems, that's what I'm bound to assume) I can't see them going to any great lengths to make those improvements. Alas...

J
J
Dire,
It's not too bad to get apart. Once you take the heavy base off (four screws), you have to remove a plastic keeper, which keeps the pedal base locked in to the cover shroud by straddling the three pedals; you might have to use a screwdriver at three places to unlatch it. To get to the point where you see the setscrew in my picture, no removal of action parts is required. I don't know if that will get you to the problem, but it's pretty easy to try.

Before disassembly, you might check the resistance at the stereo (three-terminal) phone plug, from tip to sleeve (ground). It should show about 50 ohms with pedal released, going up to about 13.5 K as the pedal is pressed all the way down.

The pedal seems to be a relabeled Fatar VFP3. I've seen them for about $70 online.

Jack
D
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by joflah
Dire,
It's not too bad to get apart. Once you take the heavy base off (four screws), you have to remove a plastic keeper, which keeps the pedal base locked in to the cover shroud by straddling the three pedals; you might have to use a screwdriver at three places to unlatch it. To get to the point where you see the setscrew in my picture, no removal of action parts is required. I don't know if that will get you to the problem, but it's pretty easy to try.

Before disassembly, you might check the resistance at the stereo (three-terminal) phone plug, from tip to sleeve (ground). It should show about 50 ohms with pedal released, going up to about 13.5 K as the pedal is pressed all the way down.

The pedal seems to be a relabeled Fatar VFP3. I've seen them for about $70 online.

Bingo! It worked! As you say, it came apart without fuss and no bouncing springs. I've no meter here so I loosened the set-screw, gave the pedal a few good squeezes, something seemed to click (= move), I could see the screw had changed angle. Retightened. 0-127!

Couldn't be happier...I'll be in touch when/if I get shot of the let-off simulation..

cheers, Jack!

J
J
Glad to hear it's working!

Jack
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by dire tonic
Should I expect a shower of springs to bounce around everywhere when I remove the underside ......
.... Any problems putting it back together?

There are indeed so many interesting ways to while away the unending boredom of the long Christmas/New Year celebrations.

My product of choice was a motorised satellite dish and putting my ladder through next-door's porch window gave us all much to jest and laugh about, such fun!

Good job I have really lovely, understanding neighbours!

D
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by slipperykeys

Good job I have really lovely, understanding neighbours!

haha, they're probably already plotting their revenge...

footnote:

Well blow me if this pedal didn't develop a squeak too!

Emboldened by my successful venture I re-dismantled (so easy when you've done it once before) and further tightened the two screws I've circled in red in Jack's photo of the pedal innards. The screws are hiding under the cable. Result!

[Linked Image]

Don't let the squeak get you down...

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Bit of loctite might be in order maybe?

D
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by gvfarns
Bit of loctite might be in order maybe?

I've heard that works but never tried it...if the squeak returns I'll give it a go.

R
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by dewster

It would be SO NICE if we could find such units.
Do you know of anyone making such an aftermarket unit that I can buy in USA ?

EDIT:
This looks like PART of what could be used;
http://www.midikits.net23.net/infrared_6x2CC_midi/infrared_midi.htm
SOMEHOW add the output to this part;
http://www.midikits.net23.net/foot_pedalsx4_USB_MEGA/foot_pedalsx4_USB_MEGA.htm

...and of course you either need to gut out a pedal set from something or build the bits to step on - but those are "just details".
:END EDIT

Last edited by R_B; 01/07/14 10:45 PM.
T
T
Sadly for the past few weeks my vpc1 pedal start to develop similar problems using with Ivory2 that up on release the sustain pedal continuous sporatic echos are produced for about 3 second duration. Guess I will also have to take the pedal apart see if i can resolve the problem. I'm starting to wonder how many out there are with similar problems.

T
T
I'm a novice when comes to reading midi events output, but i notice when i start recording and looking at the midi event list, Sustain cc64 seem to output continous value ranging from 34-57 even when i did not press anything on the controller. Upon pressing sustain pedal, cc64 would give value 103-127 THEN goes back to continous 34-57 value. Is it normal for sustain to give out values even when nothing is pressed? Hope my explanation of the problem is not too confusing.

D
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D
No it's absolutely NOT normal!

If you're not touching the pedal, there's no earthly reason why there should be any data stream. I had the same 'echo' as you appear to have.

I would return the pedal and ask for a replacement as I did.

My second pedal failed to provide the full range 0-127 but I was able to sort that out after reading Jack's post earlier in the thread . The echo problem you describe seems far more serious to me. Not a DIY job as far as I'm concerned.

T
T
Thanks Diretonic. Will call Kawai tomorrow. I hope its not due to fault of the controller chip itself.

D
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Trstan993
Thanks Diretonic. Will call Kawai tomorrow. I hope its not due to fault of the controller chip itelf.

I guess you're thinking about the chip in the VPC1? I wondered about that too, but the fault seems to have disappeared in the replacement pedal.

Maybe this needs to be checked again before the warranty expires. It's odd that the echo produced values for both of us, below 64, where - unless you were monitoring Midi - the malfunction would be hidden from those not using partial pedalling.

T
T
Interestingly enough the problem of pedal release echoing and persistent cc64 data streaming magically went away this morning when I switch the preset from ivory to galaxy D samples and back forth. I guess it was the chipset in the preset or the programming that was causing the controller persistently sending out data. The midi data seem to be back in normal range too.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission