Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
85 registered (AZNpiano, BabyCat, 28 invisible), 1155 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2209972 - 01/07/14 03:46 AM Royalties and insane scenarios
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
[VENT]

Ok,

So... As a publisher and a composer, I believe that I deserve my royalties.

All is well...

BUT

I decided to hold a recital with works from my publishing house alone.

OK

And I contacted the local PRO (AEPI) to check on things. My thinking is that if I'm the publisher and the composer, I should be able to exempt myself from paying royalties to myself, right?

WRONG!

Not only I have to pay... myself (after AEPI taking a cut), but I also have to provide a "pre-payment" to get permission and do the recital. Which would be ok, but the actual money that I have to pay PRIOR TO THE RECITAL is humongous: 1845 euros (or $2100). For ANY recital. Even if the recital hall holds 100 sits (so I'd be making a total of 1000 in the best possible scenario).

I am annoyed to no end right now

[/VENT]

Thank you for reading.

(And yes, this is the same guy making a thread called "discussion on copyrights"! grin)

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2210029 - 01/07/14 07:49 AM Re: Royalties and insane scenarios [Re: Nikolas]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
I don't get it. If you're paying money to yourself, you're not losing anything, are you? (Mind you, it still sounds a bit ridiculous to make you do that.)

Polyphonist

#2210035 - 01/07/14 08:04 AM Re: Royalties and insane scenarios [Re: Nikolas]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
It's times like this that many people turn a blind eye to laws and just hope nobody gets wind of it...Your biggest problem now is that you already got their attention when you tried to do the right thing, so now you can't use plausible deniability as a defence. It's a huge shame that this sort of nonsense can kill small events before they even get off the ground.

#2210052 - 01/07/14 08:36 AM Re: Royalties and insane scenarios [Re: Nikolas]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

There's two issues here:

1. AEPI (The Greek PRO) in particular gets ahold of 15% from whatever money I will be making off royalties, for their expenses! Not 15% from the 1845 euros, but from the final amount that I will be giving... myself (around 100 euros in total, if that much since it will be 7% from the tickets profit!).

2. I will be, however, giving them some 1845 euros IN ADVANCE of that, and get back the difference, when it suites them! Which is NOT ok, since not only if I decide to do a couple of recital, I'll have to double the amount, and triple it and whatnot, but further to that, their payments are twice a year, so they can actually grab my money and use it to do whatever the *ahem* want with it, while I will be partying my money bye bye for that period of time!

Can you imagine if this is happening about 100 times per 6 months? This means that they'd have around 200,000 euros to start with and make any kind of investment they wanted, without any capital. And don't get me started on mechanical rights...

Ando, you're right. But given my stance as someone trying to be ok with everyone, I'm pretty baffled right now! frown and I didn't give them any details on the recital or anything, but it does stand to reason that:
a. someone might actually give me in.
b. I hope to advertise for this recital and not hide it.
c. (BTW), I'd hope to stream it live to the Internet for all of you guys (free of charge of course), but all of this is making things even harder! grrrr...

#2210092 - 01/07/14 09:56 AM Re: Royalties and insane scenarios [Re: Nikolas]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
This is absolutely mind boggling - and So Unfair.

Nikolas, you have every right to vent and even rant! Is there any recourse available?

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2210259 - 01/07/14 02:00 PM Re: Royalties and insane scenarios [Re: Nikolas]
Dwscamel Online   content
500 Post Club Member

That's completely ridiculous. When the law defies common sense, I think common sense always prevails -- you shouldn't have to hold your concert 'in secret', but maybe you should. The heck with them.

#2210368 - 01/07/14 04:26 PM Re: Royalties and insane scenarios [Re: Nikolas]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
ASCAP and BMI, for the most part, are the performing rights organizations in the US. They license the venues, who pay a set fee which depends on the type of venue it is, the number of performances, and things like that. The amount can often be negotiated, by claiming it is a different sort of venue or something like that, but when they go after someone, they usually pick a high amount, since there may be some people who will just pay it. But the object is to get as many people as they can to pay something, because if they decide not to play any music, there would be no fees. An organization I belong to went through this a couple of years ago, and we worked out a reasonable solution.

#2211001 - 01/08/14 03:42 PM Re: Royalties and insane scenarios [Re: Nikolas]
Piano*Dad Offline

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
An example of how laws and arrangements seemingly designed to protect those who produce intellectual property has a perverse effect. The problem here is the intermediary organization that collects the money. Its interests are not properly aligned with the composer's. This organization has a clear incentive to skim to pay the "expenses" of its employees. It's not a simple pass-through.

If Nikolas were only paying them to ultimately pay himself, this wouldn't be a problem. But he is paying a group of paper pushers as well. Their interests and his are not the same.
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#2211152 - 01/08/14 09:02 PM Re: Royalties and insane scenarios [Re: Nikolas]
hreichgott Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: western MA, USA
I have so far avoided joining PROs for exactly this reason. I handle all my own contracts and licensing. If anyone is using my music for something, either I know about it already in which case I don't need the PRO, or else it's complete piracy in which case the PRO probably wouldn't know about it either.

Any way you can quit your PRO? Or are they providing you with some sort of benefit that makes the extra fees worth it?
I love Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven and new music

#2211354 - 01/09/14 08:55 AM Re: Royalties and insane scenarios [Re: Nikolas]
the nosy ape Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Westford, MA
There are those that perform their own music for fairly limited audiences and perhaps make some money selling CD's after their performances. These people have little use for a PRO. For composers, performers, and publishers that have a somewhat wider audience, a PRO makes a lot of sense. It would be a tremendous amount of work for a composer to keep track of all the medium to large venues to make sure he was getting all the royalties he deserved.

Nikolas' problem is that he is trying to be a little of both, performing his own music in a small venue and also publishing music for wider consumption. I imagine this sort of thing happens in all sorts of industries to "in between" type ventures.

#2211389 - 01/09/14 10:17 AM Re: Royalties and insane scenarios [Re: Nikolas]
Morodiene Offline

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Sounds like this organization does this to recoup their costs to exist, which seems very unfair to those who they are supposedly protecting. Reminds me of Unemployment insurance here in the US. My husband and I own a web development business, and it's just the two of us. Because we collect a salary, however, we have to pay unemployment insurance to both state and federal, even though we would never lay ourselves off. When I questioned a government employee about this rule, I asked if we should lay ourselves off once in a while to get our money back since it will just sit there and be used to cover who knows what expenses (I'm not naive enough to think the Gov't won't touch that money). He said we could do that, but I don't think he really knew what to say.

It stinks that you are trying to do the right thing, but by doing so you end up shooting yourself in the foot. How badly do you need this organization?
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2211396 - 01/09/14 10:26 AM Re: Royalties and insane scenarios [Re: Nikolas]
Piano*Dad Offline

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
Interesting. I would like to see the "pink slip" that you send to yourself. smile

Or would you pull your husband into your office and explain to him why his performance isn't quite up to snuff. grin
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#2211512 - 01/09/14 01:34 PM Re: Royalties and insane scenarios [Re: Nikolas]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

See the thing is that as a publisher I'm not handling only my own rights, but other composers as well, so I certainly do not have a right to 'gamble' by not being a part of a PRO. BTW, I'm with STIM as a publisher and as a composer and not part of AEPI (Which I loath with all my heart currently! grin)

The one thing that I thought of is to actually NOT register the works with STIM until the concert, but this can only be done once otherwise I would be loosing from other venues!

Just to be clear, I don't have much of a problem from the 7% that AEPI grabs from the royalties. I have a problem with partying some $2000 (or slightly more actually) for a few months until paid back! This IS a lot of money and I'd like to be able to use them to something more interesting (like organizing more concerts, or publish MANY more scores, or come over to an MTNA summer meeting, or whatever...).

#2213764 - 01/13/14 12:38 AM Re: Royalties and insane scenarios [Re: Nikolas]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Obviously, I have no idea how the contract is worded, but is there an opt-out clause where you can choose to waive the royalty fee in certain circumstances? (I'm guessing no given the thread, but didn't want to rule out the possibility.)

In terms of the actual payment, you really only have to pay the people who could hold you in breach of contract. If the money's coming to you, you don't have to pay yourself because you're not going to file a lawsuit against yourself or otherwise seek damages. But you should probably pay the people who might do just that..

(This is a little less refined of a post than I wanted, but I'm literally on my way to sleep and wanted to respond quickly. I'll take another look when I'm more rested! smile )

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Is Yelp reliable for evaluating piano stores?
by Le Chiffre
12/21/14 02:08 AM
Guide to Teaching
by Arghhh
12/21/14 12:39 AM
Making a New York Steinway sound like a Hamburg Steinway
by nphase
12/20/14 10:24 PM
Merry Christmas from Brazil! Feliz Natal!!
by Piano_Brazil
12/20/14 09:19 PM
Rzewski: De Profundis
by pianoloverus
12/20/14 09:17 PM
Forum Stats
77375 Members
42 Forums
160031 Topics
2350025 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission