2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (1957, Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 11 invisible), 1,898 guests, and 338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 90 of 119 1 2 88 89 90 91 92 118 119
M
M
Originally Posted by Jessiebear
Yes I agree about the snycopation not making sense when played slower in parts of some songs. It didn't click for me with that section in Oltremare until I just went 'to heck with it' and belted through, once it was in my head after that I slowed it right down and it made sense.

Mark I've subscribed to your channel, you're brilliant smile You inspired me to buy the sheet music to Life and I'm enjoying it now, it's a nice simple one for me to treat myself with while I wade through Clair de Lune LOL.

Thank you very much! laugh Good luck with Life! The fast section for me was quite a pain to learn - literally!

J
J
Yeah that's my favourite bit LOL, but I'm a sucker for punishment. Try Questa Notte, you'll tear your hair out at the last page but it's worth it hehe. wink

Inspired by Einaudi and Tiersen.
M
M
I tend to stray away from long pieces, and at 8 pages long, I think I'll give that one a miss! But, maybe one day! smile

J
J
Aww that's ok. It's my favourite piece of his. I haven't heard anyone else from here play it, but I understand it looks quite daunting- I put it to the side for weeks till I plucked up the courage LOL.

Still can't get a decent recording though, the universe is against me! I am in awe of how many recordings you've got with no mistakes!

M
M
It's an awesome piece! But it must also be one of his trickiest! I would love to hear you cover it!

Aha, what you don't see is how many takes I may do before I get one I'm happy with...! wink smile

J
J
Originally Posted by marka87uk
It's an awesome piece! But it must also be one of his trickiest! I would love to hear you cover it!

Aha, what you don't see is how many takes I may do before I get one I'm happy with...! wink smile

Ok this is after 10 takes LOL, and I'm still not happy with it, but my arm hurts now so it's the best we'll get for today.
Questa Notte https://app.box.com/s/neipwcxqtjy9ej9z51bl I hope this link works?

I have to try so hard to SLOW DOWN but it has a mind of its own!

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

(How do I embed a video on this forum?)

Click on "switch to full reply screen". Then click on the fifth little box from the left, the one that looks like a television screen. Then click on "youtube" (or whatever is appropriate). A text box will open up, and you copy the link to the video in it.

One warning: On certain computers/browsers (= mine, for instance), if you paste the full URL (e.g., the www.youtube.com etc stuff) for the youtube link, it doesn't work. I have to delete everything EXCEPT the jumbled up letters etc. that make up the YouTube identifier. That probably doesn't make sense, but if you don't have success using the full URL, try this.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Yes I agree about the snycopation not making sense when played slower in parts of some songs. It didn't click for me with that section in Oltremare until I just went 'to heck with it' and belted through, once it was in my head after that I slowed it right down and it made sense.

Mark I've subscribed to your channel, you're brilliant smile You inspired me to buy the sheet music to Life and I'm enjoying it now, it's a nice simple one for me to treat myself with while I wade through Clair de Lune LOL.

Thank you very much! laugh Good luck with Life! The fast section for me was quite a pain to learn - literally!

What fast section are you talking about? Once I've changed the original version, what did I miss...? Is that session where is suppose to listen a violin...?
My version here: CarlosCC - "Life", live from home version

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
J
J
Originally Posted by CarlosCC
What fast section are you talking about? Once I've changed the original version, what did I miss...? Is that session where is suppose to listen a violin...?
My version here: CarlosCC - "Life", live from home version

I actually looked this up this morning to compare to Mark's cover, and enjoyed it all over again smile

I mean the section on the second to last page, it's 3.05 on Mark's cover of Life

RH doing semi quavers, and jumping around a bit with the arpeggios. You know how the little finger is on the C for ages, then up to D and then E? I find that last little stretch & jump tricky. The rest is ok and quite do-able.

Sorry it's probably a ridiculous explanation but it's 11.30pm here and I'm tired!

And now I've looked back and confused myself. I was originally meaning Oltremare with the different beats for each hand (triplets vs. quarters), but the fast section of Life is just as tricky LOL.

Mr E likes to throw those bits in just to keep us on our toes!

Last edited by Jessiebear; 01/07/14 06:30 AM.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Jessie, I just listened to your recording of Questa Notte, it sounds great! And the few mistakes (and there were very few) are not due to any problems with your ability to play the piece itself. And if we're going to have problems, those a the kind to have! So you should be very proud of where you're at with this piece!

Mark and Carlos, I really enjoyed both of your recordings of Life. I am adding this to my list of pieces to play in the near future!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
M
Thank you! Yes, the version in the book differs from the one he played at home. (I actually prefer the one he played at home but I wanted to remain true to the book for that cover!) Saying that, my left hand couldn't stretch to the exact notes for that bit but unfortunately that happens for a few of his pieces for me!

Wow your recording of Questa Notte sounds great Jessie! I think it's the right speed! smile I'm really liking that piece at the moment - I won't be attempting it for a while though as I have so many other pieces 'in progress'! smile

J
J
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
Jessie, I just listened to your recording of Questa Notte, it sounds great! And the few mistakes (and there were very few) are not due to any problems with your ability to play the piece itself. And if we're going to have problems, those a the kind to have! So you should be very proud of where you're at with this piece!

Mark and Carlos, I really enjoyed both of your recordings of Life. I am adding this to my list of pieces to play in the near future!

Aw thanks Shiro! My arm was fatigued by the time I finished it, lol. But it's such a passionate piece to play, and has taught me so much.

Mark yes I can imagine you'd have quite a few in the works, spare time is something other people have eh?
I also like your Mass Effect 3 cover, it's stunning. Simple but strong and wow that bass mixed in gives it such oomph.
Oh and The Crane Dance, and heaps of others lol.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Jessiebear - Very, very good! I loved your Questa Notte. The speed is juts right, and the melody is well designed. I think I'll still have to wait a while to be able to play this piece.

ShiroKuro - Thanks thumb

Mark - As you, I prefer the home version of "Life". Unlike you, I do not like to be faithful to the books smile

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
I'm afraid I will regret this decision, as there is a lot on my plate right now, but I want to try to learn "Primavera"... it is enchanting, and I guess tackling Einaudi is the only way I will ever learn a 7-minute long piece - which will probably become much longer in my hands grin

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
"Primavera" is a powerful piece. I remember to listen it in the "Royal Albert Hall" concert.
I don't know how is the solo arrangement, so I'm curious about your new assignment thumb

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
My "In a Lapse Time" piece is 10% done. All the piece is decoded, understood and memorized, so it's time to begin the hardest job: to play and get fun with it.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
J
J
That's great Sinophilia! Primavera is lovely and very satisfying to play. Have fun with it laugh

Carlos I love how you call that part the 10%, you're so right LOL. Can't wait to hear it! I love that song.

I'm working on memorising Oltremare and Ancora. Most of it just flows from the fingers, it's just remembering which 'chapters' happen next. Run is coming along nicely, and Life is getting there- still a lot more practice needed on those triplet semi's at the end!

How is everyone else going at the moment? What are you working on?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
(...)Most of it just flows from the fingers, it's just remembering which 'chapters' happen next.

It's wonderful when fingers jumps to the right keys, in the right moment, with the right touch, isn't it? Is from that point where we really start "listening" and enjoying the piece. At least, this is what I feel.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
I've gone through the first two pages of Primavera - had to listen to it a few times to get it right. The notes are very straightforward, so it seems to be all about accents and expression. I sound okay on the digital, but quite bad on the acoustic, where the sustain pedal is just overwhelming and I have a harder time controlling dynamics. All in all this should be a valuable learning experience!

Originally Posted by sinophilia
I've gone through the first two pages of Primavera - had to listen to it a few times to get it right. The notes are very straightforward, so it seems to be all about accents and expression.

...and don't forget the tempo! When I was learning Primavera, the hardest part was getting the accents and expression done at the rather fast tempo this piece requires. I'd have to look back at my recording, but I don't think I got it up to Einaudi's pace.

Page 90 of 119 1 2 88 89 90 91 92 118 119

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission