2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (brdwyguy, Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, CharlesXX, 11 invisible), 1,901 guests, and 295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
G
Equal Temperment is what the customer expects. (There is something to be said about being able to play the piano in any key). It's also a musical standard! If you tune the piano in any other way, it's just going sound odd.

Making the world a better sounding place, one piano at a time...
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
There are references to the 12th root of two mathematics of equal temperament in very old Chinese texts. I can't quote them but I know they predate the European derivation.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by SMHaley
In my tomes of temperment, ET as we currently define it (approximate?) was not in practice at that time. There has been no surviving evidence even if it was that I'm aware of or discovered in my research. And at least one organ (a marvelous historic record of tuning methods and pitch levels) in existence would have such a flexible and revolutionary approach. There were a number of regional or locale flavors of WT, the more significant of which have been given names and tuning procedures, but most certainly not ET as we know it and the standard practices to achieve it as best as possible.

But, aren't guitars tuned by default to equal temperament because of the fret spacing across the neck? Guitars were used pretty early in European musical history. So the concept must have been widely known about, but probably considered inappropriate for keyboard instruments.

Chris Leslie
Piano technician, ARPT
http://www.chrisleslie.com.au
W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
Bach's tunings are a good topic for speculation and research, but we do know people were writing about the emotional character of the keys until about 1825 when piano manufacturers started to introduce equal temperament as standard.

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Ian - Isn't 1825 a wee bit early? From what I have read, the ET 'boom' wasn't until about 1875.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gary Fowler
Equal Temperment is what the customer expects. (There is something to be said about being able to play the piano in any key). It's also a musical standard! If you tune the piano in any other way, it's just going sound odd.

Wrong.

Marty in Minnesota

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ed McMorrow, RPT
There are references to the 12th root of two mathematics of equal temperament in very old Chinese texts. I can't quote them but I know they predate the European derivation.

Ancient China is definitely not part of Western musical tradition and has absolutely nothing to do with 'ET as invented by J. S. Bach.'

Marty in Minnesota

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
Well Temperament, or any temperament variation, is harmonic, rather that mathematical.

I am not sure what you mean by this. The relationships of Well Temperament are different from those of Equal Temperament but surely they are all mathematical.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
David-G,

Yes, they can be analyzed after the fact and assigned a numerical relationship. But, that is not how they are originally created. The process of developing a UT is by listening rather than creating ratios through mathematical means and then see how it works. A UT is developed with tuning lever in hand and ears open, rather than by means of a calculator.

Marty in Minnesota

W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
Ian - Isn't 1825 a wee bit early? From what I have read, the ET 'boom' wasn't until about 1875.

Marty

In his piece on Temperament in The Piano An Encyclopedia, Patrizio Barbieri says Dieudonnée & Schiedmayer published a manual in 1824 saying that the temperament must be as equal as possible. He indicates the years to 1850 were a transitional period in Germany. He says Britain and the United States put up a strong resistance to equal temperament, regarding it as a novelty from the Continent. That would accord with an ET boom in 1875.

There was a Piano forum thread recently about key color and Scriabin's wheel. I can't put my finger on it just now, but someone referred to a list/bibliography of writings about key colors and characteristics. There was not much after 1825 or thereabouts.

When you think about the number of composers for the piano who were active, or growing up, at that time I am sure you will agree it does not make sense to dismiss other temperaments.

Ian Russell
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
I recommend this book, available online - a recent and very well researched history of temperament that puts to rest many errors in our thinking about the history and development of the various temperaments.

Unequal Temperaments: Theory, History and Practice

SCALES, TUNING AND INTONATION IN MUSICAL PERFORMANCE
3rd revised edition

Claudio di Veroli

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Marty:

I have cited this often as a frame of reference. Wondered if, in your judgment, it is historically accurate.

"... But, strange to say, it is only within the last half century that the system of equal temperament has been universally adopted, and some tuners, even now, will try to favor the flat keys because they are used more by the mass of players who play little but popular music, which is mostly written in keys having flats in the signature. J Cree Fischer, Piano Tuning (1907 Theo. Presser.}

Mr Fischer was a piano technician, educator and author. His assertion would place "universal adoption" of ET within the period 1857 to 1907.

His assertion neither speaks to when nor by whom ET was developed.

Look forward to your thoughts.

Last edited by bkw58; 01/07/14 10:51 AM. Reason: reword

Bob W.
Piano Technician (Retired since 2006)
Conway, Arkansas
www.pianotechno.blogspot.com
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
ET (attempted ET at least) for keyboards has been around many, many hundreds of years, and co-existed with other, more easily tuned and sonorous (for the music of the day) temperaments. Lutes, guitars, and the like were usually fretted in ET, even before Bach's time.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Hi Ian,

I understand what you are saying and there does seem to be some differentiation by local. It certainly was a period of flux concerning temperaments. What is even more interesting is that the arguments still rage!

Marty in Minnesota

bkw58 #2210105 01/07/14 11:35 AM

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bkw58

Hi Bob,

It is an interesting quote and often cited. I have often considered "universally accepted" to be an overly broad statement, but in the period you have specified, I believe it to be essentially true.

Ian brought up an interesting point about the difference between parts of Europe and the USA in adoption of ET as the "standard." As I mentioned, it was a time of flux and the "scientific method" was also in vogue. I think that much of the argument of temperament may have also been influenced by the thinking of the day. It was an era when mathematics would trump human response or emotion.

The "flat keys" concept has always baffled me. I have wondered if anyone has actually tallied up the number of times a particular key was used in the popular music of the time. There is probably a doctoral dissertation lurking somewhere.

As is known in the forums, I have done a fair amount of study on the developmental years of S&S-NY. The only references to ET start showing up circa 1890. There would be no doubt, however, that the Steinways were well aware of the discussions, and probably had strong opinions, but there doesn't seem to be any early documentation.

Please reply with your thoughts.

Cheers,

Marty in Minnesota

prout #2210114 01/07/14 11:49 AM

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by prout
ET (attempted ET at least) for keyboards has been around many, many hundreds of years, and co-existed with other, more easily tuned and sonorous (for the music of the day) temperaments. Lutes, guitars, and the like were usually fretted in ET, even before Bach's time.

ET has been around for a long time, however, it was not the primary selection.

The whole fretted instrument thing is interesting. A classical guitarist friend of mine doesn't believe that the arrangement and spacing of frets leads to absolute ET. He maintains that there is a great deal of flexibility of intonation by where the finger is placed between the frets. Finger combinations for chords also physically dictates where the fingers contact the finger board. The temperament is actually in flux all of the time.

Marty in Minnesota

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bkw58

Hi Bob,

It is an interesting quote and often cited. I have often considered "universally accepted" to be an overly broad statement, but in the period you have specified, I believe it to be essentially true.

Ian brought up an interesting point about the difference between parts of Europe and the USA in adoption of ET as the "standard." As I mentioned, it was a time of flux and the "scientific method" was also in vogue. I think that much of the argument of temperament may have also been influenced by the thinking of the day. It was an era when mathematics would trump human response or emotion.

The "flat keys" concept has always baffled me. I have wondered if anyone has actually tallied up the number of times a particular key was used in the popular music of the time. There is probably a doctoral dissertation lurking somewhere.

As is known in the forums, I have done a fair amount of study on the developmental years of S&S-NY. The only references to ET start showing up circa 1890. There would be no doubt, however, that the Steinways were well aware of the discussions, and probably had strong opinions, but there doesn't seem to be any early documentation.

Please reply with your thoughts.

Cheers,

Hey, Marty,

Yes, I also have wondered just what constitutes Mr Fischer's "universe." USA? North America, Western Europe? I do not know.

His remark about flats in the key signature has, indeed, been puzzling. From what he states, we can concluded that such applies to those who play little else but popular music. Writing in 1907, that's pre-Gershwin and I haven't a clue about popular keys in those days. Moreover, in tuning ET how does a tech "favor the flat keys" for popular music?

Again, from Fischer:

"... But, strange to say, it is only within the last half century that the system of equal temperament has been universally adopted, and some tuners, even now, will try to favor the flat keys because they are used more by the mass of players who play little but popular music, which is mostly written in keys having flats in the signature. J Cree Fischer, Piano Tuning (1907 Theo. Presser.}

Question:

If a tuner is to "favor the flat keys" or sharps in ET, must he not be doing something less "equal" to the flats? And if this is true, would such not appear to be a conscious choice as opposed to a mistake?

Does this not have a very current, familiar ring to it?

Bob W.
Piano Technician (Retired since 2006)
Conway, Arkansas
www.pianotechno.blogspot.com

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
You mean something like "My ET is better that your ET because mine's different."

?????

wink

Marty in Minnesota

W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
Bob, Marty, All

This article by Gill the Piano quotes Rimbaud saying in 1860 that equal temperament had been universally adopted in Europe.

http://www.piano-tuners.org/history/piano-tuner-history.html

I imagine Steinway would have tuned its pianos accordingly for the Paris Exhibition in 1867.

Gill fills in many points that were glossed over, of necessity, in the BBC programme. Worth a look.

Ian Russell
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by prout

ET has been around for a long time, however, it was not the primary selection.

The whole fretted instrument thing is interesting. A classical guitarist friend of mine doesn't believe that the arrangement and spacing of frets leads to absolute ET. He maintains that there is a great deal of flexibility of intonation by where the finger is placed between the frets. Finger combinations for chords also physically dictates where the fingers contact the finger board. The temperament is actually in flux all of the time.

di Veroli (pg.91, Unequal temperaments...) states that ET, Just, and other UT systems were in common use on fretted instruments, particularly from the mid 16th to mid 17th centuries.

The ability to 'pull' pitch really does allow the player flexibility.

Last edited by prout; 01/07/14 02:08 PM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission