Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2210728 - 01/08/14 04:33 AM Yamaha P155 vs FP-50/80 for classical music
lumpyd Offline

I know there are many threads like this sitting around this forum, but after reading many of them, I still hadn't came to a conclusion. frown

I'm looking for a DP intent mostly for classical music playing, meaning that my main concern is how well it is imitating an acoustic piano.

I've considered FP-50 but I've read many criticism regards the Ivory-G feel.
Also, the FP-80 feels overkill for my needs (so many features I don't need).

Can you recommend me either Yamaha or Roland pianos that might fit my needs? (Kawai's models have limited availability in my area).

My budget is limited at the FP-80 price (but cheaper DPs are welcomed :D)

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#2210729 - 01/08/14 04:43 AM Re: Yamaha P155 vs FP-50/80 for classical music [Re: lumpyd]
maurus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Well - reading brings you only so far. You have to sit down at these instruments and decide for yourself, I'm afraid.

#2210733 - 01/08/14 04:48 AM Re: Yamaha P155 vs FP-50/80 for classical music [Re: lumpyd]
lumpyd Offline

I know.

But since I haven't played for more than 5 years shocked (long story).
I'm afraid I won't be able to tell which one is better right away, so I'm trying to at least narrow down my search for selected models.

#2210738 - 01/08/14 05:12 AM Re: Yamaha P155 vs FP-50/80 for classical music [Re: lumpyd]
maurus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Still...

The ones you mention are all suitable, if you are interested in stage type pianos. I'd add the Kawai ES7 to the list. Yamaha has announced a new P255 replacing the P155 but it is (as yet) not too clear whether there are significant improvements - on the other hand there may then be good deals on the P155. Whether you like the action and sound of these instruments depends a lot on your preferences so we can't really help. As long as you stay with the big brands you can't go wrong really.

While I am not a fan of the Roland instruments (but mind you, this is subjective and thus does not tell you much) the FP80's action is clearly a step above that of the FP50, so for serious classical playing I'd probably go for the FP80 among these two.

Of course if you are interested in console type pianos there are more choices (and different prices).

#2210748 - 01/08/14 06:13 AM Re: Yamaha P155 vs FP-50/80 for classical music [Re: lumpyd]
lumpyd Offline

Since english is not my native language, isn't console types pianos usually refers to acoustic pianos?

If not, what models of console types DPs are recommended?

#2210777 - 01/08/14 08:10 AM Re: Yamaha P155 vs FP-50/80 for classical music [Re: lumpyd]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
In the digital piano world, you have stage or slab pianos which have no cabinet and are good for travel, or consoles which have an attached stand to mimic an acoustic piano look.

As for which one to get, generally the higher price point you look at, the better the action and sound. You also will get a lot more features that you probably don't want, but that is generally how it goes.

However, in your price point or just a bit higher, you could get a Yamaha CP4 or the Kawai VPC1 which have a very nice piano feel to them. I know you didn't want Kawai, but it's definitely worth investigating if you can.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2210837 - 01/08/14 10:29 AM Re: Yamaha P155 vs FP-50/80 for classical music [Re: Morodiene]
Charles Cohen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
There is also the Roland FP-7F.

It is not in production now -- it was replaced by the FP-80. But it's a really good-sounding DP. You might find a dealer who has one, or find one second-hand.

. Charles

#2210860 - 01/08/14 10:59 AM Re: Yamaha P155 vs FP-50/80 for classical music [Re: Morodiene]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: Morodiene
you could get a Yamaha CP4 or the Kawai VPC1 which have a very nice piano feel to them.

Of course, it should be mentioned ... the VFPC1 does not make a sound. Seems relevant.

My current system: Kawai ES7 + Focal CMS40 Powered Monitors, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface, Mackie ProFX8 Mixer, Ravenscroft275, True Keys American Grand, Ivory II American Concert D, Steinway Basic, Galaxy Vintage D, True Pianos, Pianoteq, Alicia's Keys

#2210932 - 01/08/14 01:21 PM Re: Yamaha P155 vs FP-50/80 for classical music [Re: lumpyd]
StarvingLion Offline

Re: P-155/FP-80

Great question. The reason I bought the cheapest and most reliable dp, the P-105, is that I couldn't get a decent answer to your question.

Its really peculiar that so many dp buyers are obsessed with expensive action and sound when in fact the modern classical school (eg. Chopin) is defined by pedal operation. Have you ever seen a dp review where the pedals are given scrutiny as to correct function? Try to find a person who uses a software piano and claims its far "superior" and then ask him if the pedals work properly?

Very very few teachers are competent in pedaling. So what makes a good digital for classical? I don't think anyone knows.

#2211031 - 01/08/14 04:46 PM Re: Yamaha P155 vs FP-50/80 for classical music [Re: StarvingLion]
carkar Offline

Originally Posted By: StarvingLion
Re: P-155/FP-80

Great question. The reason I bought the cheapest and most reliable dp, the P-105, is that I couldn't get a decent answer to your question.

Its really peculiar that so many dp buyers are obsessed with expensive action and sound when in fact the modern classical school (eg. Chopin) is defined by pedal operation. Have you ever seen a dp review where the pedals are given scrutiny as to correct function? Try to find a person who uses a software piano and claims its far "superior" and then ask him if the pedals work properly?

Very very few teachers are competent in pedaling. So what makes a good digital for classical? I don't think anyone knows.

This is why the Privia PX-5S is unsuitable for me--no half-pedaling. I can "understand" the importance of key action in musicians that play acoustic (so as to accomodate); yet key action varies so widely in acoustic pianos that the notion of comparison between the two is rather irrelevant. I have a Vose and Sons baby grand that feels similar to the Kawai ES100 I currently own; whereas, my old teacher has a Stienway that feels NOTHING like my Vose and Sons, hence nothing like the ES100. On the other hand, deviations in pedal functionality between acoustic pianos is, in my experience, relatively slight.

Regarding key action, my answer would be to base the decision on how well you play a given model. Compare it to nothing, as that particular model will never be what you are comparing it to--face it. Still, who is to say that the action of a DP MUST be the same as an Acoustic? Perhaps, for you, the DP offers even more expressive capability--who knows other than you? So long as the piano offers you the fundamentals, differences in weighted keys is as common within acoustics as they are between acoustics and DPs--consider it an expansion of the spectrum. In the end it's about enjoying the creation of music.

...then again, I'm only a hobbyist :p

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
143 registered (ABC Vermonter, accordeur, 36251, anamnesis, 44 invisible), 1655 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75584 Members
42 Forums
156289 Topics
2295312 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Shostakovich and Prokofiev
by Verbum mirabilis
39 minutes 10 seconds ago
Used piano buying choices
by BrianDX
44 minutes 37 seconds ago
You & Your Piano
by DancerJ
Today at 05:12 PM
Fun etudes?
by chasingrainbows
Today at 04:41 PM
Music competitions are rife with corruption says JLWebber
by pianoloverus
Today at 02:51 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission