Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2211334 - 01/09/14 08:12 AM Roland HP 507: sounds muffled when played quietly?
midwich Offline

Hi everyone,
I've been hemming and hawing over whether to plump for a Roland HP-507 or Kawai CA95. Today I had a chance to play with the Roland, and was a bit taken aback by a number of negatives I didn't expect, but first and foremost was the muffled sound (to my ears) of notes in the mid-range when played gently. If I hit the same notes harder then they sounded not just louder but also much, much 'brighter' i.e. not muffled and so I guess with higher frequencies/overtones suddenly present.

I'd taken the manual for the Roland with me, so played with a number of settings to no avail. I tried several things in Piano Designer for example that had no effect on the quiet, muffled notes. Boosting the separate Brightness feature did help the quieter notes, but then the normal or louder notes sounded way too harsh.

Was I doing something wrong, or is there something the matter with my ears? (have to say other keyboards were OK).

There were other things too, e.g. the midrange was quite weak compared to a booming bass, and the physical noise of the (quite heavy) keys was quite noticeable.

Anyway, any comments very welcome, I'd happily give the Roland another go if there are any settings I should try tweaking!

Thanks! laugh

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2211338 - 01/09/14 08:19 AM Re: Roland HP 507: sounds muffled when played quietly? [Re: midwich]
maurus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Dear midwich, what you describe is an overly dynamical sound characteristics of Roland's acoustic piano samples (affecting brightness variation from pianissimo to fortissimo much too strongly). In my experience this is common in most available sound variations of acoustic pianos on Roland instruments, with the possible exception of the 'Studio Grand' on the RD700NX.

For those of us not liking this exaggeration it is a reason to look to other brands.

#2211353 - 01/09/14 08:55 AM Re: Roland HP 507: sounds muffled when played quietly? [Re: midwich]
Hookxs Offline

Loc: Czech Republic
Yes, you nailed it spot on. These are exactly characteristics of Roland's HP (and similarly FP) pianos (I would also add short decay). Some people like it as it is, some don't. Most (~all) of these characteristics cannot be out-tweaked so don't buy it if you don't like it in it's default settings.

#2211359 - 01/09/14 09:01 AM Re: Roland HP 507: sounds muffled when played quietly? [Re: midwich]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
As pointed out, this is done by design, to mimic the characteristics of an acoustic piano played pp and ff which do have a wide range of brightness. I actually like the feature, but to each his/her own. Probably should stay away from the Rolands if that's the case, though.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2211412 - 01/09/14 10:56 AM Re: Roland HP 507: sounds muffled when played quietly? [Re: midwich]
maurus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Morodiene, when comparing your grands with the Roland, don't you think the brightness variation with dynamics is overdone on the latter?

#2211413 - 01/09/14 10:56 AM Re: Roland HP 507: sounds muffled when played quietly? [Re: midwich]
midwich Offline

Hmm, that's all very interesting - thank you so much everyone for such speedy and helpful replies!

#2211622 - 01/09/14 04:04 PM Re: Roland HP 507: sounds muffled when played quietly? [Re: midwich]
midwich Offline

Maurus: I do agree really - no piano I've ever played sounded like someone had just thrown an old blanket over it every time I tried to play a note quietly!

#2211662 - 01/09/14 05:08 PM Re: Roland HP 507: sounds muffled when played quietly? [Re: Morodiene]
bennevis Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Morodiene
As pointed out, this is done by design, to mimic the characteristics of an acoustic piano played pp and ff which do have a wide range of brightness. I actually like the feature, but to each his/her own. Probably should stay away from the Rolands if that's the case, though.

Exactly.

Here's the sound of a real grand piano. Compare the soft opening with 2:00. The sound brightens up considerably as it should at ff. http://youtu.be/98HDDEQRIng

Pianos that already sound bright (like many Japanese ones) won't have such a large degree of contrast between pp and ff.

#2211682 - 01/09/14 05:31 PM Re: Roland HP 507: sounds muffled when played quietly? [Re: midwich]
maurus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Actually I love warm pianos opening up nicely. But to my ears, Roland's standard AP sound (as e.g. in the FP7F or RD700NX) sounds very different from this Schubert recording on a large Blüthner, both in pp and ff.

#2211706 - 01/09/14 06:07 PM Re: Roland HP 507: sounds muffled when played quietly? [Re: bennevis]
midwich Offline

Thanks bennevis, that was a beautiful performance I really appreciated it. I can certainly see that the sound gets brighter as notes get louder, but I'm afraid I have to say that at no point did the quiet passages/notes sound 'muffled' in the slightest - the Roland seems to take a subtle feature of the grand (increased brightness with loudness) that's not really noticeable unless one is specifically looking for it, and exaggerates it to a ruinous extent, at least for me anyway.

#2211728 - 01/09/14 06:29 PM Re: Roland HP 507: sounds muffled when played quietly? [Re: midwich]
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: midwich
Thanks bennevis, that was a beautiful performance I really appreciated it. I can certainly see that the sound gets brighter as notes get louder, but I'm afraid I have to say that at no point did the quiet passages/notes sound 'muffled' in the slightest - the Roland seems to take a subtle feature of the grand (increased brightness with loudness) that's not really noticeable unless one is specifically looking for it, and exaggerates it to a ruinous extent, at least for me anyway.

OK, maybe that wasn't such a good example - I was just looking for a Blüthner recording there. In truth, I've played many acoustic grands that have a wider contrast between pp and ff than Roland's SN or that Blüthner, or than this one (a Steinway D):

http://youtu.be/EJJgBJf50kk

#2211731 - 01/09/14 06:36 PM Re: Roland HP 507: sounds muffled when played quietly? [Re: midwich]
maurus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Schubert evening tonight? wink
That is a beautiful recording. I like Uchida's Schubert.

#2211738 - 01/09/14 07:11 PM Re: Roland HP 507: sounds muffled when played quietly? [Re: maurus]
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: maurus
Schubert evening tonight? wink

Yep, I'm having a Schubertiade at my home - singing Lieder and playing Schubert duets with friends on my V-Piano.
Though Uchida and her Steinway needn't fear the competition (yet). grin

#2212678 - 01/11/14 07:58 AM Re: Roland HP 507: sounds muffled when played quietly? [Re: bennevis]
midwich Offline

That's a gorgeous recording, thanks! I do see what you mean better by the loudness/brightness thing.

I got to play on a Kawai CA95 yesterday, and the shop also had a Roland HP 505 (and various Kawai acoustic grands etc). Oddly enough, I found the muffling issue much less noticeable on the 505 Roland; it was still there but far from extreme like the particular 507 I'd tried earlier in a different shop, and more in line with your recording.

The Kawai CA95 seems the way to go for me though. As I understand it, all the notes are individually sampled, and so on the Concert Grand setting I could the slight 'zing' on the low bass faux copper-wound digital strings. As the shop also had acoustic Kawai grands I could compare very easily and see the same thing on a 'real' piano. Obviously, other types of keyboard that don't sample individual notes won't have this kind of detail present.

The real soundboard, Grand Feel key action all added up to making the decision pretty easy in the end.

#2212730 - 01/11/14 10:00 AM Re: Roland HP 507: sounds muffled when played quietly? [Re: maurus]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Actually I love warm pianos opening up nicely. But to my ears, Roland's standard AP sound (as e.g. in the FP7F or RD700NX) sounds very different from this Schubert recording on a large Blüthner, both in pp and ff.

Might be because this recording had a high degree of "wet reverb" added to it, methinks. You can have too much of a good thing.

""

#2212762 - 01/11/14 11:02 AM Re: Roland HP 507: sounds muffled when played quietly? [Re: peterws]
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: peterws

Might be because this recording had a high degree of "wet reverb" added to it, methinks. You can have too much of a good thing.

No, there's been no reverb added (if you mean that Schubert D960 recording).

Classical recordings normally have microphones placed at realistic distances, unlike jazz or pop, and as you can see in the video, there aren't any microphones in view, meaning that they are probably at least 3m (10ft for Americans grin) away, thereby catching more of the hall's reverberation, and the piano therefore sounds more distant than the studio recording of Mitsuko Uchida (which was made for CD), which is multi-miked.

If you listen to piano recitals on BBC Radio 3, you also get reasonably 'distant'-sounding pianos, where the main microphones are around 2-3m away, plus others even further away, to pick up the hall's ambience.
http://youtu.be/s-NX9jhr-wE

#2213226 - 01/12/14 04:34 AM Re: Roland HP 507: sounds muffled when played quietly? [Re: midwich]
stamkorg Offline

Hi everyone,
I've been hemming and hawing over whether to plump for a Roland HP-507 or Kawai CA95. Today I had a chance to play with the Roland, and was a bit taken aback by a number of negatives I didn't expect, but first and foremost was the muffled sound (to my ears) of notes in the mid-range when played gently. If I hit the same notes harder then they sounded not just louder but also much, much 'brighter' i.e. not muffled and so I guess with higher frequencies/overtones suddenly present.

I'd taken the manual for the Roland with me, so played with a number of settings to no avail. I tried several things in Piano Designer for example that had no effect on the quiet, muffled notes. Boosting the separate Brightness feature did help the quieter notes, but then the normal or louder notes sounded way too harsh.

Was I doing something wrong, or is there something the matter with my ears? (have to say other keyboards were OK).

There were other things too, e.g. the midrange was quite weak compared to a booming bass, and the physical noise of the (quite heavy) keys was quite noticeable.

Anyway, any comments very welcome, I'd happily give the Roland another go if there are any settings I should try tweaking!

Thanks! laugh

Hi,

I had the same impression at first, but after several hours of playing, the sound seems now perfect to my ears.
There is guy, his name is Mark Fowler, he has made some beautyfull videos with the HP-507.
For me, the sound is just right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMIg5rCKXyU&list=UUCWTtFf8wpLlCZHenYUGZKw

#2213815 - 01/13/14 05:37 AM Re: Roland HP 507: sounds muffled when played quietly? [Re: midwich]
Marco M Offline

Loc: Europe
muffled sound (to my ears) of notes in the mid-range when played gently. If I hit the same notes harder then they sounded not just louder but also much, much 'brighter' i.e. not muffled and so I guess with higher frequencies/overtones suddenly present.

To my experience on the HP-505, it is like this if the DP is in generally set to a low volume adjusted at the amplifier. The HP volume slider has to be moved up at least to 1/3, better clearly staying in the middle between 1/3 and 1/2, in order to get rid of that "muffled" sound if keys are hit pp or p. Once the HP is adjusted to a volume comparable to an acoustic, it sounds perfect for a DP, also at p or pp playing. Unfortunately one reason to buy a DP is to be able to play at lower volumes...

By the way, I observe the same with headphones. With my lower Ohm headphones I adjust the volume slider to only 1/4, in order to stay at reasonable volume on my ears, and then hear the "muffled sound" as described.
With my higher Ohm headphones I subsequently have to adjust the volume slider higher, in order to reach the same volume. At this higher slider position the "muffled" sound at p or pp playing disappears, but it is there if I would keep the slider low. Interestingly, I found the the volume slider positions for playing with speakers or higher quality (and higher Ohm) headphones to best be the same, respective to the felt loudness and respective the behaviour of dynamics and timbre.

In summary, the HP-505 and 507 (not 503) to me appear to adress players who want _everything_ as close as possible to a grand piano, and if then playing at respectively higher volumes all indeed present drawbacks of the HP become a minor issue: they are not muffled any more, and you will not hear the thumping key noise any more.
As said, unfortunately one reason to buy a DP is to be able to play at lower volumes, and if you really need to play silent for your neighboors, do not only spent top money for the DP but also top money for the headphones - at least if considering a HP505/507. Best purchase only after having compared the DPs of interest with high quality (usually higher Ohm) headphones, the ones which you later on will use at home!
before playing Drums in adults bluesband on handpicked set; before crashing E-Guitar in kids garage band; raised on home entertainment Organ and Keyboard models Eminent Solina P240, Farfisa Maharani 259R, Technics KN800, and on Mouth Organ, Recorder and Accordion

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Are pianos sometimes voiced or tuned differently for jazz?
by Jake Jackson
10/22/14 06:18 PM
Stay safe, Ottawa
by jehalliday
10/22/14 03:51 PM
Which Books did Chopin Study?
by Batuhan
10/22/14 03:12 PM
Study Group - Mozart Sonata n13 KV 333
by Doritos Flavoured
10/22/14 02:40 PM
Broken Wrist
by sonataplayer
10/22/14 02:26 PM
Who's Online
156 registered (ajames, accordeur, anamnesis, 40 invisible), 1614 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76619 Members
42 Forums
158423 Topics
2326509 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission