Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2211507 - 01/09/14 01:26 PM Hooking Digitial Keyboard and PC to same headphones..
Mike E. Offline

All,

I am a longtime piano player but newbie to the electronic keyboard world… so apologies in advance if this is either user error (… probably..) or technically wrong (.. also very probable..)

I recently purchased a Yamaha P80 digital keyboard (.. which I love..) so I can play without bothering family/neighbors. It doesn’t have a speaker, so I just play with headphones plugged into one of the two “headphone jacks” on the side of the unit. Life is good.

I am also using a laptop that is set-up next to my keyboard so that I can learn some songs by playing some “youtube” videos. I also have a different headphone hooked into the “headphone” jack of the laptop, which works fine.

So far, life is good… I can play my piano and listen to the laptop without bothering anyone..

Except now I don’t want to juggle two different headphones and want both devices (the laptop and the keyboard) to go to the same headphone, so I can listen to my laptop and play, and hear what I am playing, all at the same time..

So I did a bit of research online (.. or so I thought..), and it seemed that I needed something called a “mixer” to do this. So I did some more searching, and I purchased a Rolls MX41b 4 channel mixer (see the Amazon link here as to what I purchased.):

Rolls Amazon Link

And I also purchased two audio cables, a 1/8 to 1/4 “TRS” audio cable and a 1/4 to 1/4 “TRS” audio cable.
So this is my hookup:

1) I hooked my headphone into the 1/4 “output” of the Rolls MX41b.
2) I connected the 1/8 to 1/4 cable from the “headphone” jack of my laptop to “Input 1” of the Rolls MX41b..
3) I connected the 1/4 t o 1/4 cable from the “headphone” jack of my Yamaha P80 to “input 2” of the Rolls MX41b.

So I thought I had two “headphone jack outputs” (my laptop and my keyboard) that were going to the “inputs” of the Rolls mixer, and then my “headphone” was the single output. Seemed logical…

And when then when I put on my headphones.. and played the keyboard or PC, I heard… NOTHING.. nada… zip..

So, I turned the volume of my Yamaha P80 WAY up, and I think I can hear the faintest sound of the keyboard through the headphones.. Sems like the sound is getting "lost" somehow when it goes through the cables or the mixer.

So, either I am using the wrong cables, or am using the Rolls MX41b incorrectly, or (.. more likely..) I have no idea what I am doing and just wasted $60 on a mixer and cables…

Any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated on how I can set things up so that I can listen to the audio of my laptop and the keyboard of my Yamaha P80 all through a single pair of headphones.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Regards,

Michael

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#2211528 - 01/09/14 02:01 PM Re: Hooking Digitial Keyboard and PC to same headphones.. [Re: Mike E.]
emenelton Offline

The Rolls piece is the culprit. You need to buy an actual mixer. Also make sure your cable are TRS on both ends.

#2211533 - 01/09/14 02:13 PM Re: Hooking Digitial Keyboard and PC to same headphones.. [Re: Mike E.]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Why are you using the headphone jack of the Yamaha instead of the line out? Also, I agree that the Rolls seems to be not the right thing for what you need.

Another option is that you can plug your line out from the Yamaha into the line in on your laptop, then plug the headphones into the laptop headphone jack. That's probably the simplest way to do it.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2211541 - 01/09/14 02:34 PM Re: Hooking Digitial Keyboard and PC to same headphones.. [Re: emenelton]
Mike E. Offline

Any suggestions for a very simple (.. and cheap..) mixer that would foot the bill for this? I guess I can probably return this back to Amazon. I still have the original packaging..
Thanks.
Michael

#2211542 - 01/09/14 02:38 PM Re: Hooking Digitial Keyboard and PC to same headphones.. [Re: Morodiene]
Mike E. Offline

I just thought that I needed to use the headphone jack since the sound was going into a headphone..

I don't even know that the "line out" does, but will try it instead of the headphone jack when I get home and see if it helps..

I'll also try hooking the P80 to the laptop line in (.. once I figure out which one it is..). and see if that works also..

Thanks for the ideas...

Warned you I was a newbie..

Miichael

#2211547 - 01/09/14 02:43 PM Re: Hooking Digitial Keyboard and PC to same headphones.. [Re: Mike E.]
emenelton Offline

Does the Rolls mixer have batteries or a pwr supply of some kind?

You'll notice it doesn't have a headphone output.

#2211549 - 01/09/14 02:45 PM Re: Hooking Digitial Keyboard and PC to same headphones.. [Re: Mike E.]
Morodiene Offline

Originally Posted By: Mike E.
I just thought that I needed to use the headphone jack since the sound was going into a headphone..

I don't even know that the "line out" does, but will try it instead of the headphone jack when I get home and see if it helps..

I'll also try hooking the P80 to the laptop line in (.. once I figure out which one it is..). and see if that works also..

Thanks for the ideas...

Warned you I was a newbie..

Miichael
LOL no problem. The line out will be clearly labeled on the piano. The line in on the laptop is usually positioned next to the headphone jack and looks just like it. Sometimes I plug into the wrong one, so if you don't hear anything that way, make sure you aren't plugging into the laptop headphone jack by accident.

#2211550 - 01/09/14 02:46 PM Re: Hooking Digitial Keyboard and PC to same headphones.. [Re: emenelton]
Mike E. Offline

nope.. no power or batteries.. it is a "passive mixer", whatever that is.. here is the link to it on amazon:

But the headphone jack does seem to fit perfectly in the big "output" jack (there is a big and small jack for the output and for each input)..

http://www.amazon.com/ROLLS-MX41b-Four-Channel-Mixer/dp/B00102XUX6

so, maybe it is the wrong thing for what I was trying to do..

Edited by Mike E. (01/09/14 02:48 PM)

#2211555 - 01/09/14 02:51 PM Re: Hooking Digitial Keyboard and PC to same headphones.. [Re: Mike E.]
Morodiene Offline

nope.. no power or batteries.. it is a "passive mixer", whatever that is.. here is the link to it on amazon:

But the headphone jack does seem to fit perfectly in the big "output" jack (there is a big and small jack for the output and for each input)..

http://www.amazon.com/ROLLS-MX41b-Four-Channel-Mixer/dp/B00102XUX6

so, maybe it is the wrong thing for what I was trying to do..

I think it is wrong. If there's no power then it simply expects everything to be powered, like your headphones. Which means your headphones would have to be plugged into a powered amp and not directly into the unit. The Rolls could work if you had that, but seems overkill for what you want.

#2211560 - 01/09/14 02:58 PM Re: Hooking Digitial Keyboard and PC to same headphones.. [Re: Mike E.]
newbert Offline

Loc: Upstate New York, USA
Any suggestions for a very simple (.. and cheap..) mixer that would foot the bill for this? I guess I can probably return this back to Amazon. I still have the original packaging..
Thanks.
Michael

FWIW, I am also far from an electronics expert, and had the same needs as you describe. I use this mixer (http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-502-XENY...words=xenyx+502) and have my digital piano, my laptop PC and an iPad all feeding sounds thru it to my headphones. I'm satisfied with it.

I have the iPad connected to Input 1, the DP to Input 2 (ie - the left input of Input 2/3). Then I have the laptop computer connected to the "2-Track" (Tape Player) input. The headphones are connected to headphone jack of the mixer. Works great for my needs.

One thing to note, if you buy it: The Line 1 input is MONO, not stereo. (A stereo to stereo cable will NOT work on that input. Only a stereo to mono cable will work there).

#2211592 - 01/09/14 03:34 PM Re: Hooking Digitial Keyboard and PC to same headphones.. [Re: newbert]
Mike E. Offline

Ok.. Thanks I'll check out that one, although at quick glance, does look like a lot of dials and plugs!!

But for $45, its about the same price as the "Rolls" that I had bought but didn't work for what I need..

If nothing else that was suggested works, may give this a try..

Thanks.

Michael

#2211653 - 01/09/14 04:59 PM Re: Hooking Digitial Keyboard and PC to same headphones.. [Re: Mike E.]
emenelton Offline

The Rolls unit expects to be plugged into an input with gain like a mixing board. It is a passive summing mixer.

The 502 looks like it has 2 sets of 2 channel inputs so that should suit your needs and it has a headphone connection which is good to have if you want to plug headphones in.

#2211702 - 01/09/14 05:59 PM Re: Hooking Digitial Keyboard and PC to same headphones.. [Re: Mike E.]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
You don't mix power output (not even low-power headphone outputs).

To accomplish what's needed here with a mixer: Feed the line outputs of both devices to the mixer, and feed the mixer output to an amplifier. (This is true for both this passive mixer and for any other, passive mixer.)

#2211730 - 01/09/14 06:34 PM Re: Hooking Digitial Keyboard and PC to same headphones.. [Re: MacMacMac]
Charles Cohen Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
The Rolls is a "passive" mixer, and it won't feed a low-impedance device like a headphone. It's ridiculously over-priced for what it does.

Either the Behringer 502 or 802 mixers will do what you need (and much more). I have an 802 -- it's a very flexible workhorse. I'd recommend it over the 502, for the few extra dollars it'll cost.

. Charles

PS - using the computer soundcard as a mixer (by feeding the keyboard audio to "Line In", and using the Windows Mixer application) will also work.

#2213296 - 01/12/14 09:27 AM Re: Hooking Digitial Keyboard and PC to same headphones.. [Re: Morodiene]
Mike E. Offline

Well, found the keyboard "line out" and hooked it into the laptop "line in" (which is also the microphone jack), but no luck finding how to make the piano sound come out of the laptop. I messed around with the audio and sound settings for a while, but couldn't get the "mixer" even recognize "line in" anywhere. At this point, I don't want to waste too much time messing with the laptop. It's a pretty old/basic laptop, so it is possible it doesn't even have the necessary hardware or software to do the mixing.. who knows..

I am going to just buy the suggested powered mixer and give it a try... Seem like it would be a good investment anyway, as it seems I can probably do a lot of other things with it down the road if I ever want to do any sort of mixing of other items together.

Michael

#2213332 - 01/12/14 11:18 AM Re: Hooking Digitial Keyboard and PC to same headphones.. [Re: Mike E.]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Dunno why you bothered with a mixer. Just get a mini jack splitter. male end into piano headphone socket. two female ends; one for the headphones, one for an extension cable (male to male, mini-jack) to fit the other and the computer headphone out. Works fine on mine.

Edited by peterws (01/12/14 11:18 AM)

""

#2213548 - 01/12/14 05:49 PM Re: Hooking Digitial Keyboard and PC to same headphones.. [Re: Mike E.]
Morodiene Offline

Line in on the laptop is actually the opposite of the headphone jack. It sounds to me as though your laptop doesn't have the line out and that's the issue. A mixer would be needed, I think, or a splitter smile

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Got the VPC1! Hooked up the Ivory! Played Brahms.
by TwoSnowflakes
33 minutes 58 seconds ago
Pianos of Downton Abbey
by Almaviva
Yesterday at 11:58 PM
Learning a piece under a deadline, good results?
by ChopinLives81
Yesterday at 10:05 PM
Gors Spangenberg
by PhilipInChina
Yesterday at 09:28 PM
Help with Korg M1
by bonesy
Yesterday at 09:12 PM
Who's Online
85 registered (AZNpiano, ando, Alux, 21 invisible), 994 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76620 Members
42 Forums
158433 Topics
2326646 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission