Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2211571 - 01/09/14 03:11 PM Piano Tuner's/Techs can actually play the piano?
Diane... Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Western Canada
Okay, so I learned something from my tuner the other day. That some piano tuners/techs can really actually play the piano. Not sure but, I thought they just tuned and couldn't actually play the piano, but to my surprise, my tuner can actually play the piano. Just wanted him to play a few notes so I could stand back and listen to my piano after he tuned it, and to my total surprise, he performed a fantastic piece. Was incredible actually!

So . . . would any of you tuners/tech like to share your piano playing talents for us? No pressure. But we know you can tune, now can you play?

Applause awaits you! grin

Edited by Diane... (01/09/14 03:14 PM)

(ad PTG 568) Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
#2211607 - 01/09/14 03:46 PM Re: Piano Tuner's/Techs can actually play the piano? [Re: Diane...]
OperaTenor Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sandy Eggo, California
I can bang out enough to test my work, and possibly fool others into believing that I actually can play.

I had intended to record my temperament again at the Shout House today, but forgot my H2. I tried recording with my iPhone, but didn't like the result. Next week, I'll do it, plus run through my musical 'checks' afterward.

Be afraid...

#2211753 - 01/09/14 07:38 PM Re: Piano Tuner's/Techs can actually play the piano? [Re: Diane...]
David Jenson Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
My tuning is playing! Furthermore I play all the notes, not just a select few as I often hear "pianists" do, and I get paid!

Hi, Diane. I'm just being a pain!
-----

#2211757 - 01/09/14 07:43 PM Re: Piano Tuner's/Techs can actually play the piano? [Re: Diane...]
Roy Rodgers Offline

Loc: Ranger, Texas
If you can stand it, here's a liitle of me trying out one I worked. Not real good, but ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsLv9TqN64o&feature=c4-overview&list=UU0VZuFFUbfxnv3mh2V6u07Q

#2211762 - 01/09/14 07:53 PM Re: Piano Tuner's/Techs can actually play the piano? [Re: Diane...]
sunslight Offline

Loc: Provo, Utah, USA
I play, 50+ years.

Mostly Chopin, Rachmaninoff, and Liszt; then Beethoven, Schubert, Bach or whatever I want. I just got some new microphones to make recordings--a grand piano is very difficult to record properly--it needs a nice, recital hall.

I had the good fortune to gather insight into what Rachmaninoff wanted for his music from Mdme. Gina Bachauer. She was a student of Rachmaninoff.

When I get some good recordings done (sans hall) I'll post them on youtube.

A painter paints his pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence.

PTG member. BA in music theory; graduate work in musicology, voice & piano major instruments.

#2211771 - 01/09/14 08:03 PM Re: Piano Tuner's/Techs can actually play the piano? [Re: Roy Rodgers]
David Jenson Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Originally Posted By: Roy Rodgers
If you can stand it, here's a liitle of me trying out one I worked. Not real good, but ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsLv9TqN64o&feature=c4-overview&list=UU0VZuFFUbfxnv3mh2V6u07Q

'Love it! My taste in music to a "T". 'Love Floyd Cramer, and "Last Dance" is a classic.
-----

#2211779 - 01/09/14 08:15 PM Re: Piano Tuner's/Techs can actually play the piano? [Re: Diane...]
David Boyce Offline

Loc: Scotland
Quote:
Not sure but, I thought they just tuned and couldn't actually play the piano, but to my surprise, my tuner can actually play the piano.

Strange. What did you mean by "couldn't actually play"? By virtue of a physical disability preventing playing? Or did you mean you supposed for some reason that tuenrs never had piano lessons?

I should think that the proprtion of tuners who play the piano is greater than the proportion of the non-tuning public who play.....

#2211838 - 01/09/14 10:19 PM Re: Piano Tuner's/Techs can actually play the piano? [Re: Diane...]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
My piano tech was a Performance major. And--- oh, yes--- he can play, all right. Composes. Pretty amazing at both his profession and his avocation.

Nice that you brought it up, Diane. I've heard other technicians who play very well, also... not that I've taken a big enough sample to model the statistics. So, how does it work--- do guys play, and then become techs? Or do they learn to play because they're techs, and they love the piano?

Edited by Jeff Clef (01/09/14 10:20 PM)

#2211844 - 01/09/14 10:38 PM Re: Piano Tuner's/Techs can actually play the piano? [Re: Diane...]
Roy Rodgers Offline

In my case I learned to be a tech because I played. I always had to wait for someone to get enough work in my area before they would come and tune my piano. 60+ miles for the closest piano tuner at the time.

So I figured rather than have to wait on someone, I would learn to do my own repairs and tuning. Found someone willing to teach me a few things and 30+ years later still working and learning.

#2211860 - 01/09/14 11:22 PM Re: Piano Tuner's/Techs can actually play the piano? [Re: Diane...]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rockford, IL
Originally Posted By: Diane...
Okay, so I learned something from my tuner the other day. That some piano tuners/techs can really actually play the piano. [...]

Beethoven986

#2211861 - 01/09/14 11:23 PM Re: Piano Tuner's/Techs can actually play the piano? [Re: Diane...]
Ryan Hassell Offline

Loc: Farmington, MO
I was actually an organ major in college, but had piano lessons from the age of 13. I usually end every tuning by playing a little "Fur Elise." It's the only song that I can still play from memory. I do feel that being able to play the piano, being a music teacher, and a person who has given piano lessons in the past, really gives me some credibility in the eyes of my customers. I quite frequently get asked if I give lessons, or whom I would recommend. I even was tuning the piano at a local church last week and the church secretary asked me if I would play along with her on her trumpet which she had brought in anticipation of me coming. :-) At nursing homes I often end up having to do a little concert or "hymn sing" when I get finished tuning. It's fun! I just need to get some more songs memorized! I don't have any videos of me playing the piano, only the organ.
www.hassellspianotuning.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hassells-Piano-Tuning/163155880804
ryanhassell@hotmail.com

#2211882 - 01/09/14 11:59 PM Re: Piano Tuner's/Techs can actually play the piano? [Re: Diane...]
Emmery Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Niagara Region, On. Canada
I'v been playing alsmost 50 years now, started with classical lessons taught in german/hungarian, relearned everything in english 10 years later, dwelved off into ragtime, jazz and just about everything else when I got older.

I'd have to say that if I didn't have a background in playing, I doubt I would have gravitated towards repairs and tuning. Often when I tune I look around and see what kind of music the client has (or simply ask them what they are in to). Small things in the tuning can be adjusted to let their style or choices sound better.

I have little bits of certain pieces I will occasionly play a few bars of that relate to a particular part of the piano I have just tuned. Breaks the monotany a bit, and serves as a different kind of check for what I've done. Sometimes I will play a bit before I leave, just to get better aquainted with the sound of the piano, especially if its a model I don't see much of. I think really competant pianist/clients are a bit more open to discuss details of what they expect from their instrument if they know you play also.

#2211917 - 01/10/14 01:04 AM Re: Piano Tuner's/Techs can actually play the piano? [Re: Diane...]
musicbased Offline

Loc: UK
I have always played just composing my own music by ear, and became a technician later on.
I have a couple of piano bits called Akane and Liberetz on my soundcloud page link below,(the other stuff is more electronic) but really want to go to a studio soon to try and record some real piano, as they are just done at home on Ivory.

www.soundcloud.com/musicfield

#2211919 - 01/10/14 01:18 AM Re: Piano Tuner's/Techs can actually play the piano? [Re: Diane...]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
People ask me if I can play the piano as well. I always tell them, "Not nearly as well!" But I can play, after a fashion.

#2211982 - 01/10/14 05:27 AM Re: Piano Tuner's/Techs can actually play the piano? [Re: Diane...]
David Boyce Offline

Loc: Scotland
People say to me, Can you play solo? Can you play so low we can't hear please? They say, Is that hard to play? 'Cos it's hard to listen to.....

#2212096 - 01/10/14 11:38 AM Re: Piano Tuner's/Techs can actually play the piano? [Re: Diane...]
Diane... Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Western Canada
Wow, this has proved most interesting to me. Just going thru listening to your shared piano playing, and yes, piano tuners/tech most definitely "can" play the piano.

I'm not sure why I got the notion in my head that they couldn't maybe because of the one time I had a piano tuner tune my piano where the whole left side from middle C and down was out a half tone after he tuned it. He just left without letting me play it first and he didn't play it for me either. So when he left, of course I was going to play my "so-called" freshly tuned piano as most of us do, but you can imagine my confusion and shock because something was terribly wrong, and the wrong was that the right side up from middle C was in tune, but the left side down from middle C was out of tune a half tone. Anyways, that's another story!!!

So for right now, Wow! Yes, thank you so much for sharing your piano playing talent & stories, and yes piano tuner/tech can play that piano!

Hope you will continue to share? Thank you to those who have, and look forward to those who will soon.

Wow! Much applause!!! I had no idea!

#2212102 - 01/10/14 11:48 AM Re: Piano Tuner's/Techs can actually play the piano? [Re: Diane...]
SMHaley Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle
Organ performance, composition/orchestration, conducting major here.
Church Music Professional
Curator of instruments - Chancel Arts
Baldwin F 1960 (146256)
Zuckermann Flemish Single

#2212140 - 01/10/14 12:32 PM Re: Piano Tuner's/Techs can actually play the piano? [Re: Diane...]
bkw58 Offline

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014

Loc: Conway, AR USA

On occasion a new client would tell me that the previous tech did not play the piano after tuning. I never quite knew whether this meant that the tech did not or could not. confused

#2212154 - 01/10/14 12:51 PM Re: Piano Tuner's/Techs can actually play the piano? [Re: Diane...]
ClsscLib Offline

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Northern VA, U.S.
Maybe it's been luck of the draw, but every tech who has worked on my pianos has been able to play pretty well. Much better than I can (though that's admittedly a low bar!).

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins

#2212157 - 01/10/14 12:52 PM Re: Piano Tuner's/Techs can actually play the piano? [Re: Diane...]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Even with limited playing skills, I prefer a tuner who can at least play "somewhat." I reserve the right to listen to the piano, and make my judgment on the quality of the tuning, before the tuner has packed up and left. I play the piano, and stand back to listen to the piano from a distance.

Some may say that this is not necessary. However, it is to me, and I'm the one with the checkbook.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2212162 - 01/10/14 01:03 PM Re: Piano Tuner's/Techs can actually play the piano? [Re: Diane...]
Emmery Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Niagara Region, On. Canada
There is of course that situation where the client with the check book sends their 8 y/o who had had lessons for a few months, over to the piano after you tune it in order to test out the tuning quality. A squeaky faint then pulsatingly loud and error ridden version of Chopsticks or Fur Elise will somehow be wrenched out from the piano and you will get the nod of approval from the little fella....and all is well. LOL

#2212164 - 01/10/14 01:04 PM Re: Piano Tuner's/Techs can actually play the piano? [Re: Diane...]
Roy Rodgers Offline

I for one prefer the owner listen to and play their piano when I'm done. Then if there is anything they don't like I can take care of it right then.

#2212168 - 01/10/14 01:09 PM Re: Piano Tuner's/Techs can actually play the piano? [Re: Emmery]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Originally Posted By: Emmery
There is of course that situation where the client with the check book sends their 8 y/o who had had lessons for a few months, over to the piano after you tune it in order to test out the tuning quality. A squeaky faint then pulsatingly loud and error ridden version of Chopsticks or Fur Elise will somehow be wrenched out from the piano and you will get the nod of approval from the little fella....and all is well. LOL

I was speaking from my perspective, and not from, or about, an imaginary 8 y/o.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2212170 - 01/10/14 01:12 PM Re: Piano Tuner's/Techs can actually play the piano? [Re: Minnesota Marty]
Hamburg-D Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty
Even with limited playing skills, I prefer a tuner who can at least play "somewhat." I reserve the right to listen to the piano, and make my judgment on the quality of the tuning, before the tuner has packed up and left. I play the piano, and stand back to listen to the piano from a distance.

Some may say that this is not necessary. However, it is to me, and I'm the one with the checkbook.

I agree Marty. But for tuning I don't care as much.
Voicing and regulation? I care alot. Chromatic scales don't cut it for me. I need someone who can feel the sound and the action in a context of a musician composition. I prefer that they also play my type of music. If they play Jazz or Rock, we wouldn't be on the same page...

#2212198 - 01/10/14 01:55 PM Re: Piano Tuner's/Techs can actually play the piano? [Re: Diane...]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Tuning for jazz stars has improved my tuning much more than tuning for classical artists ever would. After all, you can play anything that Mozart wrote and never touch a good proportion of the keyboard. There are non-classical artists who cross over, and even among those who do not, there are a good many whose ear and touch are as good or better than most classical artists.

#2212250 - 01/10/14 03:18 PM Re: Piano Tuner's/Techs can actually play the piano? [Re: BDB]
SMHaley Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle
Originally Posted By: BDB
Tuning for jazz stars has improved my tuning much more than tuning for classical artists ever would. After all, you can play anything that Mozart wrote and never touch a good proportion of the keyboard. There are non-classical artists who cross over, and even among those who do not, there are a good many whose ear and touch are as good or better than most classical artists.

And not even have to tune a good and thorough ET. How many Mozart works are in F#?

Noam, I think it may have been said a time or two recently... that tuning is part of the foundational triangle by which voicing comes about. Voicing is the end which is preceded by regulation and tuning. Can't have one with out the others.
Church Music Professional
Curator of instruments - Chancel Arts
Baldwin F 1960 (146256)
Zuckermann Flemish Single

#2212307 - 01/10/14 04:43 PM Re: Piano Tuner's/Techs can actually play the piano? [Re: Diane...]
bkw58 Offline

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014

Loc: Conway, AR USA
Playing the client's piano was actually part of the tuning process.

Upon completion of the tuning: an up to 10 minute medley of music from each period, most keys, p-fff*, in order to -

a) hear/feel the whole instrument;

b) if available, client to hear the whole and play and/or comment;

c) final corrections if needed (almost never needed);

d) final unison check.

A few clients would play the final product before I left, but most did not. Many made it a point not to be home.

This seemed to work well for us. Doesn't mean it would work for all.

* if a concerto, ffff; e.g. Rach 3, Brahms 2, Prokofiev 3, et al.

Edited by bkw58 (01/10/14 04:46 PM)
Edit Reason: clarity

#2212365 - 01/10/14 06:06 PM Re: Piano Tuner's/Techs can actually play the piano? [Re: Diane...]
Eric Gloo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richfield Springs, New York
I accompany the choirs at a local school for their winter and spring concerts, accompany vocal students for solo festivals, and am a rehearsal accompanist for a few schools for their high school musicals... and play in the pit for the musicals, as well. I've also conducted a few musicals from the piano.
Richfield Springs, New York

#2212406 - 01/10/14 07:14 PM Re: Piano Tuner's/Techs can actually play the piano? [Re: Diane...]
OperaTenor Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sandy Eggo, California
BTW, Diane, I think you need to post a recording of yourself, to show us how it's done...

laugh

#2212805 - 01/11/14 12:15 PM Re: Piano Tuner's/Techs can actually play the piano? [Re: Minnesota Marty]
Jbyron Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty
Originally Posted By: Emmery

I was speaking from my perspective, and not from, or about, an imaginary 8 y/o.

Marty, this actually happens often. I don't think Emmery was referring to you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
81 registered (Allard, AZNpiano, AZ_Astro, 23 invisible), 1049 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76042 Members
42 Forums
157227 Topics
2309238 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
"railroad track" symbol in Debussy
by Eric NYC
57 minutes 40 seconds ago
P155 or FA-08
by Yussnan84
Today at 01:59 AM
Blac
by Aviram
Yesterday at 11:56 PM
Blackbird - Piano Cover - The Beatles
by Aviram
Yesterday at 11:49 PM
Kawai CA95 Recordings
by wolferblade
Yesterday at 11:32 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission