2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 10 invisible), 1,188 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
OP Offline
R
For those of you who are serious about learning piano, what do you do when you travel for business/work? Obviously it's v rare that you can find a piano that u can use for practice in a hotel. I found that whenever I travel for work, my practice and momentum take a small hit. I usually need a couple days (sometimes even longer) to get back to where I was before the travel. I'm thinking maybe I will start making copies of the music that I'm working on and "practice it mentally" in my hotel room.

I'm interested to see what other ppl do.

Last edited by RX2Bunny; 01/10/14 12:55 AM.
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
There has been a long discussion here before regards a small lightweight dp with weighted keys. But if you are flying I don't think there was anything really suitable.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Mental practice is an amazing thing. There's a lot of discussion out there about the benefits of visualisation.

Here's a link on the web. It's not the best one. But it has basics.

http://expertenough.com/1898/visualization-works

Here's a link that talks about visualisation in music (for improvising jazz musicians).

http://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/getting-started/17112-practicing-backward-visualization-learning.html

If you skip down to #19 here

http://brenthugh.com/piano/piano-practice.html

there's stuff about piano practicing through visualisation.

Visualisation is "your mileage may vary" and it's a skill that gets better over time.

Be very interesting for the rest of us if you were to give it a good try - because experience is the best teacher - and report back.

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member
It's a great question that concerns many of us and that breaks down into several sub-issues: "travel pianos" (digitals and dummy keyboards); locating available acoustic pianos at one's destination; alternative practice techniques (visualization); and more.

The idea of a separate "traveling pianist" forum or sticky thread has come up, but unfortunately nothing has been established.

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
I mostly do mental practice, and if I happen to be near a piano perhaps take advantage of that. There are some who travel with a lightweight keyboard, but personally I don't know how much benefit there is to that over mental practice.

There are some aspects of practicing mentally that are good no matter if you can get to a piano or not. Most of my musical ideas come away from the piano, and when I'm at the piano it's more focused on technical aspects, and then later, executing the musical aspects I worked out before.

Yes, it takes a bit to recover, but that's life, it's not a race, and if you get to where you want to be in learning a piece, it's OK if there are a few bumps along the way.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

3000 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member
And Morodienne's approach is a very valid approach.

OTOH, there are those of us who very much want to practice on piano keys while traveling.

For that group, mental practice doesn't scratch the itch. There are a lot of different ways to pursue that goal. Many have been discussed on these boards before.

Unfortunately, the comments (many very valuable) are scattered through hundreds of Piano World postings across several different forums and are very difficult to find.

It would be great if the OP (and the rest of us traveling pianists) had one place we could go in Piano World to discuss these issues.

[Linked Image]

Here comes a dove;

-- Laura Nyro
R
OP Offline
R
Thanks for everyone's input! I actually have never thought of mental practice until this thread. That term just never came to my mind and nobody has ever told me about it. When I thought of making copies of the score and "practice it mentally", I thought I was a crazy enthusiast!

anyway, I'm travelling and am in a hotel room. This is my first time doing mental practice and it's great! I have never tried that before and I htink when you are reading your music in front of a piano, your focus would be on playing. Now without a piano in front of me, I found that I'm much more focused on the score/music! Even though I have played this piece many times, i feel like I'm actually "getting to know an old friend".

Mark P. thanks for posting the link about practice. I actaully read through the whole thing and it's a really good material.

thanks again!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Special case: My wife had to have surgery that required a week in the hospital. It was too far (6 hours) for me to commute. She also had to stay in the motel for a week after the surgery, near the doctor.

So I bought a keyboard, stand, drum stool, and headphones. Practiced in the motel room for 2 weeks.

This only worked because we drove there. I can't imagine taking the keyboard on a plane...

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Go to the Apple store and buy the small, lightweight 25-key midi keyboard that connects to your iphone.

W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by RX2Bunny
For those of you who are serious about learning piano, what do you do when you travel for business/work? Obviously it's v rare that you can find a piano that u can use for practice in a hotel.

It's not as rare as you might think. For non-budget hotels booked outta the blue, I usually find I can use whatever piano is in the atrium or the bar about 50% of the time.

I learn which hotels let me use the pianos and then make a point to rebook them when possible.

When planning leisure travel, I usually look in advance for places with a piano--you could easily apply this to booking business travel.

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
I bring the little Kawai keyboard along by car, too. But I make do with the hotel furniture. Sometimes they provide an ironing board that works as a stand. Usually their desk and chair with a phone book works OK.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690

3000 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JohnSprung
I bring the little Kawai keyboard along by car, too. But I make do with the hotel furniture. Sometimes they provide an ironing board that works as a stand. Usually their desk and chair with a phone book works OK.

I can identify with this issue! Every time I go to a hotel, my first order of business is figuring out how to jerry-rig the furniture and seating to make it possible to play conveniently on little travel digital.

Sometimes it's not easy...

[Linked Image]

Here comes a dove;

-- Laura Nyro
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
RX2! Great great to hear that's working for you!!

F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
Hi I am late to join the thread - being busy this week. Anyway, this is really my kind of subject. In fact i had to be in NY right before the Mazurka recital due data. I was in NY 10 days and prior to that, I had to travel Grand Canyon etc with my niece from Japan. I touched the piano 2 days when i was in NY (Sad). I came home 2 days before the due date.

I did significant mental practice for the first time. I did not have a choice. I looked at the score while picturing the keys. I then played with my fingers on the table with imaginary articulation and dynamics, yes crazy! Whenever I got stammered i looked at the score again and did backward practice on the table again until it flows better. When I went back to the studio on the next dayI flew back to AZ (we have Saturday piano studio at the community college), my teacher was actually surprised that I got better. She hadn't heard me play for over 2 weeks. Actually I have not heard myself play for approximately same amount of time either. Yeah, it works. Now i do this even though I have piano at home.

B
B
Last time I travelled for work I found a hotel that had a piano in the lounge area and was able to practice every evening on it. Turned out to be out of tune and with people around, both of which were good for me.

Haven't had many problems adjusting to my teacher's piano since.

"There is more to this piano playing malarkey than meets the eye" - adultpianist
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by bolt
Last time I travelled for work I found a hotel that had a piano in the lounge area and was able to practice every evening on it.

Same here, and I made $7 in tips.... ;-)

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690

3000 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JohnSprung
Originally Posted by bolt
Last time I travelled for work I found a hotel that had a piano in the lounge area and was able to practice every evening on it.

Same here, and I made $7 in tips.... ;-)

I do that sometimes too, but I usually have to tip the other people in the lobby.

[Linked Image]

Here comes a dove;

-- Laura Nyro
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Easy. I go to the bar and drink. If the place has a piano, sometimes I'll see how much money someone will pay me to stop playing. grin

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission