Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 216 of 228 < 1 2 ... 214 215 216 217 218 ... 227 228 >
Topic Options
#2267369 - 04/26/14 12:18 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: malkin]
Toastie Offline

Loc: UK
Hello malkin. I think I just did about an hour. Well I'm not sure, as I forget what time I started. It's 5.10pm now, so I'll so another hour then I have to work. Seriously one post on here and I'm back on track. I have missed you all.
Grade 1 Sight Reading - finished
Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
The Easy Piano Collection Classical Gold
Yamaha U3

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2267407 - 04/26/14 02:20 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: malkin]
Sand Tiger Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
Marybee, that is awesome. First having such a caring spouse and also some talented and well-connected friends. I know it is often frowned upon, but I hope you got a recording of the live performance. It may be a while before that kind of thing happens again.

AnneH and Toastie, welcome back to the thread.

Week 111: Most of the week is spent on arranging and learning the short segment of Tonight from Westside Story. I find the song so moving. It is so amazing to me that the part I am learning was composed and then performed as two of five parts. I recently finished watching some lectures of Leonard Bernstein at Harvard and he is the composer (Steven Sondheim did lyrics). I am making progress, but I have a long way to go before I could record or perform.

I attend the church coffee house night. The drama was during setup night. A dead baby possom was found and then removed from one of the potted trees at the venue. A pro songwriter came to coffee house night and wrote an impromtu song about the poor critter. It is amazing to me, that he can write a song on an obscure topic, and perform it, all in five minutes. The result is a better effort than I can likely do if I had five years of time to work on a song on that subject. It again shows me the gap between low level amateurs and accomplished pros.

Edited by Sand Tiger (04/26/14 02:23 PM)

#2267430 - 04/26/14 03:50 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

SandTiger -- I must say, I've never before heard anyone beat themselves up regarding their lack of prowess in writing songs about dead baby possums! wink

Here's one for you though:
Quote:
Dead baby possum, we hardly knew
Your life so fleeting, your days but few

You made Sand Tiger's, one-eleven
not feel so good, not so heaven --- ly

Living songwriter, lucid and glib
Effortless writing, almost ad lib

You made Sand Tiger's, one-eleven
not feel so good, not so heaven --- ly

A "low amateur", in your own sight
Don't lose perspective, you've done alright!

Fade out:
What about...
Avenue D?
Bargain with a Genie?
Shadow?
Tracks in the Snow?
Shimmer?...

Now, just need to find someone who can set it to music. smile

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

#2267603 - 04/27/14 03:53 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
GLR - Your granddaughter has a bright future before her! How sweet!

SwissMS - your piano-life is in full bloom! At your party last week your recovery was indeed an achievement. I look forward to hearing how the next one went!

Ginko2 - congrats on your Tchaikovsky submission. I think a lot of us are in the same boat and appreciate the extra "drive" we get when we commit to recitals here in PW

SandTiger: Watching your numbered weeks really gives a sense of progress. You sound like you're going through some ups and downs - this is typical when we try to take on more. Everytime you add something to the pot, things have to settle down before they improve.
You're learning piano, composition and now solfege too..... they're all connected, but different. Hang in there, and remember to celebrate the baby steps! I love the name of your piece "Pixie Dust" smile

Bozzo - congratulations on your exam! That is a really splendid achievement!

Wimpiano: It is indeed wonderful to get that kind of feedback from our teachers! What were you playing so beautifully?

Earlofmar: sounds like you've made a fundamental discovery! I think that we can only start thinking about working on all these details when we've got a little experience under our belts. At first it takes so much energy just to find the notes, we feel pretty good if we get them all right - then comes a piece where we start to truly bring the music to life and our perspective shifts. I look forward to hearing your future performances!

PianoBoenna: How satisfying to feel your music sounded good! It is an inspiring moment for you! Happy 3 month pianoversary!

Torquenale - what a clever idea for practicing the duet when your partner isn't "available"!

MaryBee - that must have been a real treat - I am still completely blown away by the fact that your hubby commissioned a piece for you. I do look forward to hearing it! (by the way.. what is the name of the piece? )

Arizona Sage: Guaraldi's music is always a treat to listen to - will you be recording for us?

Anne H : welcome back! You've had a topsy turvy time of it! I hope the un-packing and settling in is going well? What a sweet surprise from your FIL - so thoughtful! Glad you're able to get back to the bench - that lovely new bench - and your piano, and PW too!

Peterws: those Gymnopedies...they are particular! I had a look at them when the RST were doing the Satie recital - don't you just love the composer's notes?
I do hope you'll forgive me if I pass on sticking my head under the lid of the next Steinway I see?

Toastie: looking forward to your updates. I know it is hard to keep up with this thread - there's always so much going on - but it is inspirational to read about everyone moving along.

TallGuy: you make me laugh. For the music, I picture something along the lines of "Teen Angel", what do you think?

My AOTW is that I've made some very good progress on the duets I'm going to be playing in Lisbon. My practice is much more focussed, I'm going slowly and yet overall, things are coming together faster than what has been usual for me....how is that possible?

#2267610 - 04/27/14 05:02 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
evamar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Spanish living in UK
Finally! I managed to do both right and left hands for Burgmuller's "Candeur"... now I need to speed up a bit. I know it's an easy piece, but it took me some time to get the fingering right. Also for the first time got the timing right for "The Entertainer", but the easy version from "Alferd's 1". Again, a lot more speed is needed, even to play it "not too fast" as Joplin said.

But yes... getting there! laugh

Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted

#2267612 - 04/27/14 05:15 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
SwissMS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
MaryBee- That is fantastic that you heard your piece performed by a professional! It must have been thrilling to hear another's take on the piece.

AnneH and Toastie- Welcome back to AOTW!

SandTiger - I would be pretty impressed with someone who can compose instantly! It must have been an interesting, sad, song for a poor baby possum.

My AOTW was yet another piano party. This is the last one for a while, but it was the most advance group yet. Pieces played included Ginastera's 3 Argentinian Dances, Chopin Military Polinaise, Haydn Saraband and variations, Bach Inventions, Villa-Lobos, etc. Everyone had fun, and even when we had the Apero, people kept going back to the piano to play, such that there was continual background music. It was very interesting to see the relaxation and poise of the more experienced players. They are really good role models!

It was not my best performance. I made quite a few mistakes in my Mendelssohn piece, but I played the Tchaikovsky OK. I have performed both of these pieces cleanly before. I was really unhappy with how I played. I was far more nervous and unfocussed, possibly because I was playing for more advanced players this time. That is a psychological barrier I still need to cross, and realise that they are not judging my performance, only I am. So during the Apero I went back to the piano and played my Scarlatti Sonata and another of my ABRSM pieces by Arden. I just relaxed and those pieces went just fine. So I felt better after that. These parties are such good experience, and everyone seems to really have a good time. Next up: Live recital on June 8!

#2267686 - 04/27/14 11:11 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: SwissMS]
Sand Tiger Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
SwissMS, congrats on participating and getting to the end. I believe most people are intimidated when performing in front of more skilled people. It is also tough to perform on the same program with advanced pianists or musicians. You are doing the best thing, doing it often and not giving into the fear. Keep the perspective of recording, where it might be ten or more tries to get one keeper. For amateurs, it is rare to perform live at full potential. When you do though, it may feel like magic, and may make all the effort worthwhile.

The possum song was humorous. My friend Harold Payne writes a new song at all his gigs and knows it is best to keep the impromptu songs light and funny. The stunt is to get a title from the audience. Often there are several titles and a vote. Then he writes, plays the guitar and sings on the spot, often incorporating all the suggested titles into the lyrics.

I'm sorry if some misinterpreted my comments. It isn't depressing. It is more admiration that there are people with that kind of skill. It is the kind of skill that has translated into a pro songwriting career with over 100 published songs, many of which have charted with A-list artists. These days writing good songs might be the easiest part (though still very hard). Getting high quality demos into the business loop where recording artists might consider the songs tends to be harder than the songwriting.

CasinItaly, Yes, slowing down can make practice time more productive. I slowing down and segmenting with Tonight and Pixie Dust. As for the Coursera and solfege, I've pretty much given up. Last quiz I got 6 out of 15 correct on multiple choice ear training questions (four choices). I tried it a second time, eliminating the wrong answers, and only improved to 10/15 which is a D or F grade. Even with some training, I am not very good. I'll keep watching the lectures, but I am not expecting much any more.

The Coursera is more discouraging than watching a pro pianist or songwriter perform. Some other beginners on the forum are watching the same lectures, taking the same quizzes and making progress. For me, the talent is just not there. The training has mostly led to frustration and disappointment.

TallGuyinNH, you've been missing from the thread. Glad to see your pixels. Thanks for your attempt at possum song lyrics. Maybe writing lyrics is something you can try, though you always have fifty other things you want to learn and no time. Like I wrote above, watching pros perform isn't depressing, it tends to be inspiring and uplifting. Perhaps you detected some of my disappointment from the Coursera, and the ear training.

#2268023 - 04/27/14 11:49 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Silver Keys Offline

Loc: Western N.Y.
Two notable achievements this week! First, I finally got my my new piano delivered after two months of waiting to close on my house and then waiting for carpet installation. It is a 1916 Mason & Hamlin BB...

My second achievement is that I had an especially uplifting lesson this week! This month completes my first year of piano lessons (three achievements?). My instructor told me that my Fur Elise (the full piece) is coming together beautifully and that it won't be long before she has me play it for some women's group she's involved with.
Yamaha P155

#2268032 - 04/28/14 12:40 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Silver Keys]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Silver Keys... <swoon> I'm jealous, would love to have a vintage M&H. The wine glass is a nice touch there.

Did you buy Darryl Hall's house?!?:

Originally Posted By: Sand Tiger
TallGuyinNH, you've been missing from the thread. Glad to see your pixels.

Thanks! It's nice to have been missed. I've been busy, as always, and needed to dial back the amount of time spent on AOTW, and ABF in general.

Originally Posted By: Sand Tiger
Thanks for your attempt at possum song lyrics. Maybe writing lyrics is something you can try, though you always have fifty other things you want to learn and no time. Like I wrote above, watching pros perform isn't depressing, it tends to be inspiring and uplifting. Perhaps you detected some of my disappointment from the Coursera, and the ear training.

I think it was the "better effort than I can likely do if I had five years of time" line that jumped out at me... it didn't sound very uplifting. wink

You've accomplished a lot in the last couple years, and I'm sure in five years you'll be able to write a mighty fine dead possum song on very short notice. smile

Originally Posted By: casinitaly
TallGuy: you make me laugh.

Yay! Making people laugh is one of my favorite things to do. laugh

For the music, I picture something along the lines of "Teen Angel", what do you think?

Hmmm... Close, but too somber! cry

I was thinking more along the lines of "Pizza Angel":

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

#2268114 - 04/28/14 08:05 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brighton Colorado
Silverkeys...what a beautiful piano in a cabin like room. That is a true milestone moment and I know all your playing will be more enjoyable.

Haven't shared an AOTW for a bit...I've played everyday but I guess I've been waiting for some breakthrough moment. In the absence of such a moment how about the achievement of playing four pieces for a friend who came over for dinner. He has recently taken up piano and is amazed at all he will learn as he goes. I played two Chopin and two Grieg and it was a wonderful moment of sharing my love of piano with a dear friend we've had since BC (before children).

Love to learn

#2268221 - 04/28/14 01:37 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: WiseBuff]
SwissMS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
Silverkeys - Congratulations on a beautiful piano! I love the mellow Mason Hamlin sound!

#2268782 - 04/29/14 05:53 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Interesting lesson yesterday. I was ready to call it quits with one of the pieces I've been working on, figuring I was as far I I would get with it - but my teacher had a different opinion.

He wants me to raise the bar on my expectations of what I can do, and he was of the opinion that there was no reason for me not to be able to get it.

So... on the one hand I was really not thrilled about spending another week or two on this piece... but on the other hand I felt inspired by my teacher's expectations of what I can do.

I did some very intense focus practice today and I can already see a difference.

So, not only have I raised the bar of my expectations - I feel a boost in my confidence too.

Edited by casinitaly (04/30/14 08:12 AM)
Edit Reason: shortened and updated post

#2268826 - 04/29/14 07:57 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
I sometimes feel that I am challenging the depths of my teacher's bag of pedagogy tricks. I believe that the possible number of ways to play something wrong may be infinite, but he always seems to have a new suggestion to try. The most recent one was for a little Kabalevsky piece that I just couldn't get hands together--until finally--I could.

Amazing what a bit of teaching can do!

#2268830 - 04/29/14 08:12 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Whizbang Offline
500 Post Club Member

Imma gonna do it.

If I can get hubby to put the video and mp3 together, I'm gonna participate in the general recital for the first time. Got the recordings today, just need help getting the technical stuff done!

#2268927 - 04/29/14 11:34 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
SigFigs Offline

My teacher gave me a song to learn from her "intermediate" book. smile

So very excited to be able to play it.

#2268931 - 04/30/14 12:06 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: SigFigs]
Whizbang Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: SigFigs

Sweet! A great milestone.

#2268932 - 04/30/14 12:16 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: SigFigs]
earlofmar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: SigFigs

Congratualations, how wonderful to have moved into this area of repertoire. The world is your oyster as they say.

#2268950 - 04/30/14 02:20 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Silver Keys]
Anne H Offline

Originally Posted By: Silver Keys
Two notable achievements this week! First, I finally got my my new piano delivered after two months of waiting to close on my house and then waiting for carpet installation. It is a 1916 Mason & Hamlin BB...

What an amazing piano! My tuner was talking about how great the early M & H's are - I'm slightly tempted now I have room for a baby grand if I could find one.

Hi casinitaly! We are finally unpacked and moved in - I didn't expect it to take nearly this long to get settled. This is what we get for moving 250 miles on short notice! I still don't have my backyard in order, but now it's over 80 degrees and I'm feeling really unmotivated to work on it.
Bach Inventions
Einaudi - Berlin Song, Reverie

#2268970 - 04/30/14 03:48 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
wimpiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
@Silver Keys, congratulations. (But don't you EVER put a glass of anything on a piano again! GRRR wink )..

Not much of an achievement for me. Am working my way through the essential keyboard repertoire from page one to the end. Not sure why my teacher uses this order since the level varies quite a lot in my humble opinion.

Anyway, next piece up for me is "The Fifers" of Dandrieu. Compared to the piece before it (Menuet et Rondeau of Rameau) it is very difficult.

Oh and by the way. I am preparing the "Tres vite" part of Telemanns fantasy no 4 in E minor for the upcoming recital. It is still not Tres vite though and there's quite a number of flubs. I hope I make it in time this time since I have not posted twice now in the previous recitals. Tchaikovsky: no easy piece left and the harder piece did cost too much time. The quarterly before that one I didn't have a good recorder.

Edited by wimpiano (04/30/14 05:20 AM)

#2269009 - 04/30/14 08:03 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

wimpiano, what a nice collection to work through. Maybe the variety in difficulty gives you challenge..relax a bit...big challenge. Keeps you from burning out??? You're playing pieces I've never touched. So much music to taste.

SigFigs. Congratulations on moving "up" to intermediate. Lots of fabulous music there.

I've had to switch lessons to Mondays because my long standing Friday mornings are now needed at work. Trouble with evenings is I'm tired and have to make myself go to lesson. Once I get there I enjoy the study. I've returned to a Chopin piece (Waltz in A Major) that I did years ago to perfect it. Sooooooo much to perfect it seems. I thought it was only the tempo but my teacher wants me to perfect the pedaling and the playing of the left hand chords. What a difference it makes in the sound when I do what she points out. Apparently I'm (finally) ready to learn the finer points and that's exciting. Another small milestone.

Love to learn

#2269125 - 04/30/14 02:52 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
torquenale Offline

Interesting lesson yesterday. I was ready to call it quits with one of the pieces I've been working on, figuring I was as far I I would get with it - but my teacher had a different opinion.

It happens to me all the time! On my list of working pieces I use a marker for those (if any) I think will get a pass from the teacher; then she says: It's really nice, but you should add an extra touch here and there..". So the piece remains in "practice again for next lesson" mode.

This evening I performed a piece for my husband; it's a sort of event because he works abroad during the week and we usually have busy weekends.
I put myself in performance mode and played the piece I'm polishing for the recital (end of May) - I got advice and praise (not common and much appreciated since he's musically talented while I'm not).
I also performed the duet with my son and he noticed how much we advanced.
This is my achievement.

#2269772 - 05/01/14 07:20 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Anne H]
Silver Keys Offline

Loc: Western N.Y.
Thanks, everyone. I really lucked into this piano and got it for a "steal" according to my tech. (Soft market here.). I was looking for a 6-foot model B (or is it A?) but then came across this one.

Anne, there ought to be a lot more A's and B's around! They are wonderful too. I would have bought a B but for the fact it had a badly cracked soundboard.

Wimipiano, I know it's risky placing a glass on wine on a piano. I have a little stand behind my bench now!

And, no, my realtor never said anything about my house being owned by any celebs!
Yamaha P155

#2269924 - 05/01/14 11:42 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Congrats Silver Keys.... Looks like a beautiful playing piano.

Definite AOTW...excited... I started a new System for learning piano. From the ground up. Looked at the DVD as it went through the book last night for the first time. After I was done. I looked at a piece of music I've practiced some. For the first time, I looked at a piece of music and didn't look at notes. Didn't try to figure out what notes to play. I looked for the Patterns. It all jumped out at me. It's music! The figuring out the notes doesn't come first. And this makes identifying the actual notes much much easier!

#2270007 - 05/02/14 04:00 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: rnaple]
UKIkarus Offline

Loc: England, South East
Originally Posted By: rnaple
Congrats Silver Keys.... Looks like a beautiful playing piano.

Definite AOTW...excited... I started a new System for learning piano. From the ground up. Looked at the DVD as it went through the book last night for the first time. After I was done. I looked at a piece of music I've practiced some. For the first time, I looked at a piece of music and didn't look at notes. Didn't try to figure out what notes to play. I looked for the Patterns. It all jumped out at me. It's music! The figuring out the notes doesn't come first. And this makes identifying the actual notes much much easier!

Interesting, which system was it if I may ask?

#2270032 - 05/02/14 07:19 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

sounds great rnaple...what is the DVD? My dear friend is just starting on the piano and is struggling with just that issue.

Love to learn

#2270049 - 05/02/14 07:59 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: WiseBuff]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Originally Posted By: UKIkarus
Interesting, which system was it if I may ask?

Originally Posted By: WiseBuff
sounds great rnaple...what is the DVD? My dear friend is just starting on the piano and is struggling with just that issue.

Artistry Alliance

It is an entire System. Not just a method book. I was very impressed at first looking through the website. My first impressions are just being verified in actually doing the System.
I've since found out that the author is very accessible. An extremely talented, experienced, teacher.
I can't believe I'm actually studying Classical!
I know that studying any genre can result in just learning that genre. This is a higher level of learning than that. I've always thought that classical is where the real training is at anyways.
An adult learning on their own should get the teaching materials. Should get them anyways. That's what the DVD is part of.
I'm sure any teacher would be happy to adapt to this system.

Edited by rnaple (05/02/14 08:25 AM)

#2270086 - 05/02/14 09:12 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
Long time without posting here.
Thanks to the "watched topics" option I receive all your stories in my inbox, so I've been following all your adventures and progress with attention.

And what about me?
Well, first of all, I've been preparing the next European Piano Party (5/July, Lisbon). As you know I'm the host so there are several questions and decisions to take. Fortunately I have been helped by Casinitaly in this task and her help is priceless. Thanks!

2nd, due the lack of time, I was almost not entering in PW Recital #34. But, I did it! I'm in #11 with an original piece - no Einaudi this time... -. This piece was in my "special to do list". You'll understand why...

3rd. I've been reading the book "To Be Creative at the Piano", by EDWARD WEISS. A new approach with interesting ideas. I identify myself a lot with some of the Edward's theories, so It has been interesting reading his approach to piano. Worth reading.

4th. I was invited to do another session with my "cello partner" - remember my TV adventure? -. This time I'll be alone with him in a classical theater of Lisbon, playing without any guide. They will install hide cameras on the stage and then we'll play whatever we want without rules. Another experience...

Lastly, and due some personal and job duties, I'm not playing as much piano as I want. But I do lots of things related to it, so I'm not so depressed as you may think smile

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

Self taught since 12/2009
Don't play what's there, play what's not there.

#2270187 - 05/02/14 12:57 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
bstark Offline

Loc: Hillsboro, Oregon
My achievement of the week, so far wink is that I practiced for hours yesterday, the most ever. When I started practicing I was a bit down because I couldn't even figure out a simple question (which I posed in this forum) and I was struggling with learning a very short simple piece. After 5 minutes, I almost quit for the day, but I stuck at it, got my mind in the right place, and must have practiced at least 3 hours. By the end of the day I could play the piece! (roughly) Not to mentioned, I mixed in some scales, and started practicing H. Berens. OP. 70, Book I. Now, I don't even know what to call those, drills? But they really exercised my brain and got my hands used to moving separately.

I also found and registered for this forum, which I think will be a great resource.

All in all, it was my best day ever practicing.

Edited by bstark (05/02/14 12:58 PM)

#2270225 - 05/02/14 02:39 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
wimpiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
AOTW:
Posting this:
https://soundcloud.com/wim-piano/telemann-fantasia-in-e-minor-tres-vite-or-is-it-trop-lent

Anybody tips for getting this recital ready in a week? I am playing it slowly and still flub two times frown
Somehow I just can't do a one a normal speed one take recording without wrong or ugly notes. (Tension all over while recording :S)

Edited by wimpiano (05/02/14 02:45 PM)

#2270236 - 05/02/14 02:57 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

wimpiano - I listened to your piece and could only hear one flub....

I will be perfectly honest with you - it is very hard to get a "flawless" performance. Even if you do manage to get a performance without errors you may find that it lacks feeling. I know I'm not the only one who has preferred to submit a performance with an error or two because overall it just sounded better than the "note perfect" version.

That being said, I believe that the number of times I've submitted a "note perfect" performance is REALLY low.

Your piece as presented is certainly good enough to submit- (I know this piece and I thought you played it really nicely).

If you are truly not satisfied, I would ask you: do you always flub in the same place or in different places?

If it is the same spot that gives you trouble regularly then I would suggest starting a little before the trouble spot and doing a lot of SLOW repetitions of that part. Gradually speed up as you can increase the number of times you play that part correctly.

If different parts are giving your problems, then I would suggest doing a lot of repetitions, starting from many different spots in the piece. If you can play your piece starting from any point you've really got it mastered.

Good luck!

Page 216 of 228 < 1 2 ... 214 215 216 217 218 ... 227 228 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
138 registered (Art_Vandelay, A Guy, aesop, ando, 38 invisible), 1531 Guests and 31 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75609 Members
42 Forums
156342 Topics
2296214 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha P-85 closer to a Grand Piano action than any Upright!
by Paul678
08/01/14 07:22 PM
Do someone have a Sciortino Insta-COILER
by Olek
08/01/14 06:55 PM
Buying used piano for school district - need advice/cautions
by ChoralScholar
08/01/14 05:34 PM
Help with a leg!
by igirl
08/01/14 04:53 PM
Have you had to fire your piano teacher? Why?
by alans
08/01/14 04:02 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission