Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
147 registered (Anita Potter, anamnesis, accordeur, BB Player, 49 invisible), 1642 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 224 of 250 < 1 2 ... 222 223 224 225 226 ... 249 250 >
Topic Options
#2290149 - 06/15/14 05:01 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
SwissMs, that's wonderful! Congratulations!

We all knew you'd do well, and wow, you sure did!

What a spectacular achievement!

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2290154 - 06/15/14 05:13 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: SwissMS]
earlofmar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: SwissMS

Finally, I receive the results from my ABRSM practical exam: 127, a high merit! I was absolutely thrilled. For my first exam with fairly short prep time and first-timer's nerves, I has very happy with the score. The examiner commented "with a little my finesse, this could be distinction", so I have incentive to work even harder for the next exam! All in all, it has been quite a weekend!

Never a doubt you would pass, congratulations

#2290159 - 06/15/14 05:25 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Congrats SwissMS!

#2290171 - 06/15/14 06:18 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Wow, SwissMS, that's great!

#2290177 - 06/15/14 06:37 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Music Me Offline

Loc: New York
I have never posted on this particular forum. However, this week I sight read through a piece from beginning to end I never dreamed I would. I have been listening to Chopin's Mazurka in A minor Op. 17 No. 4. I have fallen in love with it. I actually heard one of my Jazz heros perform it live - Chick Corea - and since then I have been listening to different performances of it. My favorite thus far is Vladimir Horowitz. I purchased the music and today I literally played it from beginning to end. Of course, I have work to do on the right hand runs, but, for the most part I did pretty good!

This has me very excited!

There's nothing like seeing the fruits of your practicing!

Thank you,

#2290316 - 06/16/14 04:08 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: SwissMS]
barbaram Offline

Congrats SwissMS, well done and well deserved!

Unusually for me, I had a very unenthusiastic week or 10 days at the piano. In fairness, not *only* at the piano!
So my achievement, if you can call it that, is that I stuck with my MOYD and did some daily practice every day even despite not really wanting to. And by this weekend I was back to form and enjoying it again.

#2290363 - 06/16/14 07:50 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brighton Colorado
Wimpiano...congratulations. Pedaling is a whole art in itself. I'm going back to pieces I learned and working to fine tune the pedaling to create better music. Challenging.

Sounds like everyone is busy and doing interesting things.

Between traveling to conferences this summer and caring for my husband who was in the hospital, my intense focus on piano has been diminished a lot. I have played most days when at home but not practiced much. Off to Toronto tomorrow for the Media Ecology Conference. My piano teacher has a piano party scheduled the day I get back...IF my flight gets in on time I'm supposed to play a piece by an American composer, Jennifer Linn. We'll see how that works out.

Love to learn

#2290408 - 06/16/14 09:43 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Congratulations SwissMs, you worked very hard for this and deserve the recognition . High Merit - sweet! thumb

AOTW...I didn't do much to cheer about last week but remembered something from the week before my recital...... I went to the assisted living facility my parents have moved into and played my recital piece and a few others for my folks and about a dozen strangers in the pre-dinner cocktail area. The small grand was out of tune and had sticky keys, but I got through it all okay, thanks to a warm up scotch rocks. It wasn't until today that I realized that was my first real public performance outside of organized recitals.

Edited by JimF (06/16/14 09:45 AM)

Estonia L190 #7284

#2290432 - 06/16/14 10:31 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: SwissMS]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Originally Posted By: SwissMS
Hello everyone. I have been following this forum, but have not had time to post for awhile, because all my free time has been occupied with practicing for my recital and studying for the theory exam. Congratulations to everyone that played in a recital, and good luck CarlosCC on this year's talent contest. I sure am you will do very well again.

This has been a big weekend for me! I sat the the ABRSM grade 5 theory exam on Saturday. It was two hours long, but I was pretty ready for it. The worst part was the composition question. They give you two bars of music and you have to complete an eight bar piece, without a piano and silently. That is is challenge. Still I think I did well enough to pass.

Then on Sunday I played in my teacher's spring recital, and it went very well. I was the last pianist before the voice student's recital. I made a minor error in both pieces, but I played as well as I could have hoped for. I was actually quite happy with my performance.

Finally, I receive the results from my ABRSM practical exam: 127, a high merit! I was absolutely thrilled. For my first exam with fairly short prep time and first-timer's nerves, I has very happy with the score. The examiner commented "with a little my finesse, this could be distinction", so I have incentive to work even harder for the next exam! All in all, it has been quite a weekend!

Congratulations! I just checked in to see if I see the note about your passing with honor of some kind. I was right. I am very happy for you. I'm so glad as a fellow adults learner of piano. For those who believe that old dogs cannot learn a new trick! Look at this! Congrats again.
Solo - Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Schumann Op 12 Warum, Grillen and a few short pieces by various composers
Collaboration - Concerto in C for Oboe and orchestra attributed to Haydn edited by Evelyn Rosewell and some duets

#2290438 - 06/16/14 10:42 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Yea SwissMS! This is terrific!

Cathy

#2290447 - 06/16/14 11:04 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: jotur]
SwissMS Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
Thanks for the congratulations, everyone. I will definitely be on cloud nine for a while! Then, back to work.

Working on ABRSM Grade 6
European Piano Party July 4, 2015 in Switzerland!

#2290460 - 06/16/14 11:42 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brighton Colorado
Swiss MS, I missed this note. CONGRATULATIONS on passing with high merit!! That is a wonderful accomplishment.

Love to learn

#2290557 - 06/16/14 03:01 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Jeremy SA Offline

Loc: Durban, South Africa
@SwissMS
Very well done.

@Music me
I would love to be able to sight read more difficult pieces one day. It is a great skill to have.

Started learning in March 2014
Alfred's Basic Adult All-in-one Book 1

#2290558 - 06/16/14 03:03 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
wimpiano Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
@SwissMS Congratulations!!

@WiseBuff thanks!

#2290593 - 06/16/14 03:56 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

JimF - so, we'll see you in piano bars soon? That's a fun accomplishment.

Cathy

#2290612 - 06/16/14 04:29 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Stubbie Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Midwest USA
SwissMs, congratulations! We knew you had it in you--your hard work and dedication (and talent) paid off.

WiseBluff, hope Mr. WiseBluff is doing better. Good that you can get some piano in during your busy summer.

Sand Tiger, your Week 118 post may be your shortest yet. Hope things are going well for you.

Music Me, cool you sight read through the piece. I'll bet there aren't too many pieces around to listen to that were recorded by both Chick Chorea and Vladamir Horowitz! You may have posted this before, but how long have you been playing, lessons, etc?

Barbaram, MOYD to the rescue!

JimF, your performance at the asshisted living phashility shounds jus' wunnerful! wink

#2290618 - 06/16/14 04:47 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: jotur]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Cathy
JimF - so, we'll see you in piano bars soon?

Hahaha, maybe if you are looking in the audience. It was fun, and I will probably do it again some time.... but I don't envision a big demand for "the unique (ahem!) stylings of JimF". LOL! grin

Estonia L190 #7284

#2290753 - 06/16/14 10:01 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
alans Offline

I turn 55 on wed. And up until recently aftervyears of struggling,my piano study has been very poor. For the past few years I have taken Monday afternoons off for the four months of the summer and this year I have decided that instead of going home to veg. I am going to use this block of time to take piano lessons and then go home and Practise.this has turned out to be the most joyful gift I could give myself. I am relaxed after a weekend off and only half a day of work and I find this an excellent way to start the week.I have done this for just short of two months now and my progress is substantial. On my way home,and this involves a pleasant lunch and a leisurely walk in the beautiful sunshine,I decided I don't want this to end come labour day when I am due to return to work a full week.i was planning on taking two weeks in August but today I decided I love this schedule which allows me to luxuriate in lessons so much that I am going to transfer my two weeks into another year of Mondays. Unfortunately I am not rich and I must work but this period of time at my lessons which are not now after a long day of work are so heavenly and inspiring.it has taken me almost my entire life to get where I am now and believe me, I am still very much an absolute beginner.but the progress is so relaxed and so momentous! So to any adult beginner out there struggling, find your groove and follow your passion slowly. Wonders do abound.

#2290781 - 06/16/14 11:32 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: alans]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
alans
I love the thought of your 'year of Mondays!'

#2291049 - 06/17/14 02:06 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
JeanieA Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Reno, Nevada
I was helping a friend with her yard sale Saturday and one of the things she wished to sell was a big, old, former player piano that her now-grown-and-gone daughter had used.

The piano was in the house, of course since it weighs very close to 9 million pounds smile but she had brought a family into the house to look and was now negotiating with them on the front porch.

I went in and sat down at the piano and played my entire extensive 3 memorized piece repetoire and... they bought the piano and complimented me on my playing! But I didn't get a bird dog on the sale; I need to talk to my friend about that!

#2291219 - 06/17/14 06:02 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: JeanieA]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

JeanieA - Yay! Well done for the impromtu musician and sales assistant! Tell her she now has to donate the daughter's old sheet music to you as a commission.

alans - gotta love that post. What could be better.... a free afternoon, a piano lesson, lunch and a walk in the sun. Enjoy your new Monday routine.

Estonia L190 #7284

#2291493 - 06/18/14 07:03 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
I was asked to show pictures of my place when I get it reorganized and redone. Well, it isn't finished. I truly do feel embarrassed at the thought of posting pictures of it finished. I have sound traps to be mounted on ceiling and walls. In corners. I just can't serve my ego to post pictures of it like that. It is for a purpose. Not an impressive show.
So here is getting rid of most of my clutter. The computer isn't in the cabinet yet due to not receiving my long USB cord yet. Otherwise am covering tables and cabinet with fleece. Putting insulation bags under tables to absorb bass reflections.. Other sound treatment is to be added. I do think it is best for my ego to not show it all. It's not important. This is basically my room now.

The good part is getting very organized in my personal living space. It matches up with what is going on with me mentally in my piano System of learning.

#2291570 - 06/18/14 09:24 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
I have a teacher again YAY! Well sort of... but so very promising. I had my interview which went very well. She has several students off for the summer and so gave me a temporary slot once a month. I'm on a short list for September when several of her regulars are off to college and hopefully I will get a bi-monthly lesson.

In the meantime, she gave me some various things to work on in the interim and also should work on something of my choosing to play for her soon. eek She seems willing to concentrate primarily on the music I desire to play but asked me to keep an open mind about other genres (as needed) as well. My first lesson will be Friday.

::: doin' the Snoopy Happy Dance:::

Never get directions from someone who hasn't been there.

#2291579 - 06/18/14 09:36 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
1000 Post Club Member

Very good news Ragdoll!!

#2291614 - 06/18/14 11:07 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Ron - I like the cleanness of your clutter-free room. It's inspirational.

Yea, Ragdoll! Hope you're off on an exciting journey!

Cathy

#2291815 - 06/18/14 09:15 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Ragdoll]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Ragdoll
I have a teacher again YAY!

::: doin' the Snoopy Happy Dance:::

Yay!

Here's hoping there are no humans around to rain on your parade, as it were:

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

#2291841 - 06/18/14 10:18 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Tararex Offline

Loc: Middle Georgia, USA
I have a teacher!

My first ever real piano lesson was this afternoon. Earlier via phone teacher had asked that I bring in some music I had been toying with - but I decided to go in empty handed and ask that we start from the beginning.

I learned more in 30 minutes about posture, relaxation, positioning, hand rotation, etc... than I could have thought possible in that span of time. Now assigned the C scale with correct fingering and Bach Musette in D - which I incorrectly thought I knew how to play. eek

Small talk on leaving - she mentioned most of her students are kids who don't want to be there and don't last long. I laughed and replied "Well, I want to play Liszt - so you'll have me as a student for quite a while." She reaches over and picks up a picture of herself as a young woman seated next to an older man and asks "Have you ever heard of Emil von Sauer?" I nod yes.

She continues, "This was my teacher at the Mozarteum in Salzburg, Austria. He was taught by Von Sauer. Guess what, you're in the school of Liszt."

Yeah, "stoked" doesn't even come close.

Working on:
Bach Sinfonia A Minor

#2291851 - 06/18/14 10:44 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Tararex]
earlofmar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: Tararex
I have a teacher!

My first ever real piano lesson was this afternoon. Earlier via phone teacher had asked that I bring in some music I had been toying with - but I decided to go in empty handed and ask that we start from the beginning.

I learned more in 30 minutes about posture, relaxation, positioning, hand rotation, etc... than I could have thought possible in that span of time. Now assigned the C scale with correct fingering and Bach Musette in D - which I incorrectly thought I knew how to play. eek

Small talk on leaving - she mentioned most of her students are kids who don't want to be there and don't last long. I laughed and replied "Well, I want to play Liszt - so you'll have me as a student for quite a while." She reaches over and picks up a picture of herself as a young woman seated next to an older man and asks "Have you ever heard of Emil von Sauer?" I nod yes.

She continues, "This was my teacher at the Mozarteum in Salzburg, Austria. He was taught by Von Sauer. Guess what, you're in the school of Liszt."

great story, what a brilliant co-incidence. Good luck with the new teacher.

#2291865 - 06/18/14 11:48 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Tararex]
Whizbang Offline
500 Post Club Member

My first ever real piano lesson was this afternoon.

Congrats!

When you hit the low points--and you will--realize that if you just keep plugging away, you come through them a little stronger.

So I came here just to comment on your starting lessons, but as it turns out, von Sauer is my piano-great-great-grandpa, so I guess that makes you my piano-2nd-cousin-once-removed!

#2291923 - 06/19/14 04:13 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
1000 Post Club Member

@Music Me, I'm jealous! Sounds great. Horowitz's playing is really special indeed.

@Alans that seems like a rythm I can live with as well smile

@Tararex, great story, enjoy!

Page 224 of 250 < 1 2 ... 222 223 224 225 226 ... 249 250 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pearl River vs. Samick
by Zekk
12/21/14 03:41 PM
Kawai vs. Yamaha: what to choose
by SeeSharp
12/21/14 02:19 PM
Disklavier Pro Alternatives? C5X Value for money?
by bryan77
12/21/14 01:15 PM
piano sound is the result of more than just the hammer speed
by Keith D Kerman
12/21/14 01:05 PM
piano sound is the result of more than just the hammer speed
by Keith D Kerman
12/21/14 01:05 PM
Forum Stats
77388 Members
42 Forums
160044 Topics
2350231 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission