2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (APianistHasNoName, Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 10 invisible), 1,851 guests, and 274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 297 of 540 1 2 295 296 297 298 299 539 540
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Swiss MS, I used the practice log idea last year and it helped me see the big picture of my practice. I'm beginning 2014 with a list of 10 pieces of repertoire (all pieces I've played for some workshop or recital in the past) and bringing them back to playing form. I have friends who "want to hear" me play and I've never felt I have something ready at any moment. My achievement this week is just relaxing into the music.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
SwissMS and WiseBuff,
I too think practice log is a good idea. I just started it last week.
Mine is not electronic. It's a notebook. I write down my practice goal for each each piece for each day at the beginning of the week. I pencil in "check" mark as I complete a goal. I revise the goal if I have to. I also write questions to my teacher as well. It's working very well. At least it gives me a sense of accomplishment. I also need to maintain repartore too! I don't have time to do it until May though (sigh).

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Well, after several days of feeling beyond frustrated with my (lack of ) progress on my Sonatina, and generally getting fed up with myself and the fact that I have not maintained ANY repertoire over the past year......

I picked out about a number of pieces that I really should have been maintaining and played through all of them. Just once each - but what was very reassuring is that for the most part they went reasonably smoothly in terms of getting the fingerings right and the notes too - though I was not playing to speed, just "refreshing my memory" so to speak.

I've decided to work on them in cycles and get them all in decent shape.
I think I'll make a more concrete plan and then set myself up in FOYD smile

So that's an accomplishment.

After working through the pieces I want to (more than just ) brush up, I tried my Sonatina again and didn't feel quite so dismal about it. That's quite an accomplishment given where I was 48 hours ago....feeling like I should just throw in the towel (I'm sure many of you recognize those feelings....they don't last but they can mess with your mind and heart when they hit....)

So... I'm through my first piano crisis of 2014...I suppose that's an accomplishment of a sort too.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
"I've decided to work on them in cycles and get them all in decent shape. " - Casinitaly
I've a kind of "script" with the pieces I've learned so far. I have them in groups of 3, 4, or 5 pieces - depending on the "flow" and "type" of each one -, and I play one or more groups regularly. It works for me.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by casinitaly
I think I'll make a more concrete plan and then set myself up in FOYD smile

Yay! It will be great to have your voice over there.

Glad you came through your crisis in a positive direction!

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
….So... I'm through my first piano crisis of 2014...I suppose that's an accomplishment of a sort too.

Yep, that is an accomplishment. Building a plan for your repertoire and successfully working through a piece that is not cooperating is a great start for 2014! We are looking forward to you joining us on FOYD!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Cheryl, I sometimes had the same feeling, I did not maintain anything; when I wanted to play something...I had only mid-cooked pieces.
Then a couple of months ago I put old pieces in my practice log, where everyday I write a cross in the the rows of the pieces I have practiced; so it's easy to see which ones I neglect for too much time. I rescued some pieces I like and now my goal is to play each of them once a week.
And any new piece that gets a pass from the teacher goes in the repertoire list with the other oldies; now there are less than 10 very short pieces, nevertheless the memorized ones are difficult to maintain.

My AOTW: I survived Christmas holidays, tomorrow I'll be back to normal life.
During this two weeks I practiced more than usual, averaging more that 1 hour per day, and it's been all quality time, meaning that I practiced on my acoustic without being tired. Quite a difference!

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
M
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
M
My AOTW

My upright piano sits so that I face the room, not the wall. We have a love seat that has its back to the front of the piano. When seated at the piano I cannot see the love seat.

Had a long practice this week and when I got up, I found my teenage son lying on the love seat listening. Since the cat begs to go outside as soon as I start playing, this made my day.

MH1963

'63 Mason & Hamlin Model A

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Oongawa
My AOTW

My upright piano sits so that I face the room, not the wall. We have a love seat that has its back to the front of the piano. When seated at the piano I cannot see the love seat.

Had a long practice this week and when I got up, I found my teenage son lying on the love seat listening. Since the cat begs to go outside as soon as I start playing, this made my day.

That's one of the nicest AOTWs I can recall. Good for you, and him!

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
FarmGirl - what a history of birthdays you have! I suggest that you organize for an at-home special dinner - find a student at a cooking school and have someone come in and cook for you! We never go to restaurants here at NY it is just off the charts costly! I'm always happy to hear how much happier you are this past year with the new teacher - it seems piano has become a different (and better) experience for you)

Eddyakmow- that sounds like a sublime experience!

Stubbie: congratulations! Let us know how it unfolds!

Wimpiano - I think you are developing a fondness for Schumman! Will we hear one of your pieces in the February ABF recital?

CarlosCC: It will be really something to see the film! And thanks for the log pdf file. I don't know if I am structured enough to use it,... but it is worth a try!

Sand Tiger, your time off may not mean your progress is "imagined" - sometimes after a break things settle in the mind and it does help. At least that's what I've heard others say.

RagDoll - be careful with the snow and ice! It's a long time since I've had to deal with that but it's something you just don't forget. Good luck organizing your focus work!

SwissMS- I think it is quite amazing you've got a plan for the whole year! Brava! Such a focused approach is bound to help make a difference.

Wisebuff: relaxing into the music - isn't that wonderful? It happens far too rarely for me, but when it does, it is bliss!

Ron- I don't envy you your weather!
Paul - sounds like you're having a great time - a rousing chorus of the can can is an interesting way to start the day! Bravo.

Carlos - I like the idea of grouping the pieces I want to refresh. Thanks for the idea.
TallGuy and SwissMS, thanks for cheering and encouraging me to FOYD. (oh, a new verb! lol)

Torquenale: your technique combined with Carlos's grouping should work out well. Thanks for that tip too! As much as I don't like to hear others are having any difficulties, it is reassuring to know I'm not alone with this problem. I'm determined to sort it out!
I practiced more than usual the past 2 weeks too - but mostly with the headphones as the neighbours were home downstairs and I couldn't deal with the feeling that they'd be listening and getting bent out of shape. Today I'm back to as much as I can with the acoustic. I'm also not going to make any further adjustments to my playing time for the kid downstairs. I've cut back MORE than a reasonable amount. So there.

Oongawa - that is really a very sweet accomplishment!

[Linked Image]

W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
@casinitaly Hope you get past your crisis, luckily you have a whole year in front of you.
About the Schumann pieces (It's the Album for the Young) I really love it. However just yesterday my teacher has asked me to wait playing these pieces till we're a little further. (I play them next to my lesson material). I didn't play them for him but he's afraid that if I don't do the dynamics right I'll learn them wrong and it seems to be quite hard to get rid of piece learned in the wrong way. Just have to be a little patient and make sure I make a lot of progress so that I have to be less patient.

I might try one for the February ABF recital though (secretly ;)), is there a link to The February ABF recital? I thought the Tchaikovsky one in April was the first in the near future.

@Oongawa, that is REALLY nice. Good setup as well with the piano facing the room.
My 6 weeks old daughter is already accustomed to us playing and our three year old son has his preference as to what we should play smile

Last edited by wimpiano; 01/07/14 04:08 AM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Cheryl.

My totally seat-of-the-pants repertoire/piece maintenance routine......

I keep the 4-5 pieces I aim to revive or maintain on the music desk at all times, usually hidden behind some current assignment. Start of my piano-week (Wednesday) practice session I pull the top one out and play it once through only. That is piece of the week, gets one play at start of every practice. It goes to the back of the group when the week is over. On the weekend I also have to find time to play through each of the others just once. I hope to improve these pieces as well as maintain them, so will try to play them quite thoughtfully each day.

So far it seems to be working well.

Don't despair on the Sonatina.....you know it will turn around. Do what you can to depressurize it in your mind....at least that often gets me unstuck.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Wimpiano - your teacher is right that "un-Learning" is hard to do....I've had to do it and (read more below) will be doing it again!

For the February recital (and all the ABF quarterly recitals) a thread opens up on the 1st of the month for submissions. There is a 2 week period during which you can upload your file, and then the recital is open to the public on the 15th of the month (Feb, May, August, November).

Generally 1 month before the recital a "one month to recital" thread is started up and folks chat about their situations and where they are at with the whole procedure, often asking for tips on uploading or recording.

Jim - thanks for your encouragement - and the idea. As my pieces are in different books I'm considering making a copy and creating a little folder of just the "to be recovered" pieces and then trying your suggestion. I think what I'll have to do though is to do some focus work on each piece AND play it through. Not for all of them but for a good number.

I played through a set yesterday and was reasonably pleased at how it went.

I had my first lesson of the year where I was to play the whole sonatina from start to end. I butchered the first movement and did well on the second and third.
After the first few flubs the majority of the mess was, to a large extent, a problem of nerves. However, in discussing it with my teacher he feels that what happened was that I studied better when I worked on the second and third movements and I never really did the right focus on the first. He said he could see I'd been working and he could see that my hands really knew where to go in 2 and 3 but in 1 there were still too many hesitations.....So.... this week's focus is to study those rough spots as though I were just starting the piece and really get the necessary confidence and security I've not had a proper handle on. I think he probably would have realized this earlier but we've had almost a month of no lessons....:(

The positive sides of this are:
1. I didn't have a melt down when it went badly. smile (I know my face got very red, but I didn't feel as horrendously upset as I have in the past, this is REAL progress!)
2. I did keep going 95% of the time, even when it was going very badly
3. He assures me that he is certain I can play this piece and though it will be a little tricky to re-learn the wobbly parts, he knows I can do it.
(he also gave me very concrete examples on HOW to do this!)

From feeling very discouraged, I'm feeling motivated.

[Linked Image]

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Cheryl, not being "horrendously upset" is a HUGE accomplishment and step forward. Good for you. There is so much brain training that goes into this endeavor.

Wimpiano...the Schumann pieces are fun. I'm reviving Reverie from years ago and using Melody to fine tune finger position and gain speed. Wild Rider just because.

So glad to see many of us are building and polishing a repertoire. Just once though I wish to be satisfied with that first time I play it. My critical side is so busy noting the errors that it is hard not to stop and fix it. LOL. I've worked on segments for the last few years and now I want to build stamina to keep playing for longer periods of time without stopping to study a spot.

To have your teenager enjoying your music is a statement of love and appreciation. Nice.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
So... I'm through my first piano crisis of 2014...I suppose that's an accomplishment of a sort too.

Glad to hear that Cas. I know the "throw in the towel" feeling myself at times and it certainly can mess with your mind. Feeling like something is never ever going to come together. bah Then suddenly one day it's there or at least in sight. smile

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
RagDoll - be careful with the snow and ice! It's a long time since I've had to deal with that but it's something you just don't forget. Good luck organizing your focus work!

Thanks cas, it's pretty awful here truly. Drifts 3-4' and bitterly cold winds. Have heard of several folks dying out in it. So sad. The roads are passable now but just barely, still haven't been plowed except for major ones.

Yah, I am determined to better organize my books and practice and maintain my practice log. I tend to ignore it for days sometimes and then can't remember what I played/practiced. confused I do play each day but fail to always document it! AFA my books and sheets I have put some away that were bought impulsively, a real fault of mine. Heh!

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm also not going to make any further adjustments to my playing time for the kid downstairs. I've cut back MORE than a reasonable amount. So there.

Good! Unless she's studying to be a monk of some sort, it would do her some good to get accustomed to a work environment with some distractions. If she is studying to be a monk of some sort, all the more reason that she should learn some forbearance regarding your life priorities. smile

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by aTallGuyNH
I'm also not going to make any further adjustments to my playing time for the kid downstairs. I've cut back MORE than a reasonable amount. So there.

Good! Unless she's studying to be a monk of some sort, it would do her some good to get accustomed to a work environment with some distractions. If she is studying to be a monk of some sort, all the more reason that she should learn some forbearance regarding your life priorities. smile

Well, so far so good.... I've been playing twice a day with no responses from below.

Wisebuff and Ragdoll - thanks for cheering me on!

When I finished playing tonight I felt GREAT. I knew I was missing my acoustic but I had not truly realized just how much. I felt so much cheerier!

I have also been very VERY focused on unlearning - or re-Learning, I'm not sure what to call it ! - the parts I've been fumbling with. I'm pleased to say that even after only 4 (ok, 4 intense) sessions I am seeing an improvement. By my next lesson I think things will much smoother indeed!

[Linked Image]

R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
Well, so far so good.... I've been playing twice a day with no responses from below.

HHHhhhhuuuuummmmm.... Interesting.... So tell me Cas... How long has the netherworld been responding to you? smile

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by rnaple

HHHhhhhuuuuummmmm.... Interesting.... So tell me Cas... How long has the netherworld been responding to you? smile

I am so glad I was not drinking a beverage when I read your post, I'd have to take my computer in for repairs!

..the answer......It feels like a very long time....

[Linked Image]

Page 297 of 540 1 2 295 296 297 298 299 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission