Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
111 registered (acollins, accordeur, AndyJoe, ajames, 32 invisible), 1744 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2212695 - 01/11/14 08:58 AM Medium Grand or Upright
pianogranny Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Well, I am still on my quest to look for a piano. I originally planned on an upright for space reasons, but I am thinking that with a bit of rearranging in my living room, I could fit a medium sized grand in here. My budget is $10,000 or less. Should I stick with the list of uprights many of you kindly gave me or branch out to look at some grands? If so, what are some decent ones that might fit into my price bracket? I haven't played in 4 years, but I used to be pretty good and need a piano with a warm sound and responsive action. Thoughts?
Freelance journalist
"Music is what feelings sound like"

1994 Baldwin R

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2212718 - 01/11/14 09:36 AM Re: Medium Grand or Upright [Re: pianogranny]
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Hi Karen,

Being a piano music major, I'm sure you know some of the advantages and disadvantages of both a grand and an upright. I have two nice uprights, and I play them on occasion, but I love my grand pianos and play them the most. There is just something about playing the grand that more appealing to me...

If you can find the room for a baby grand and find a decent one within your price range, that would be my advice… but I’m not you and it is your decision. smile

Best of luck to you!

Rick

#2212725 - 01/11/14 09:48 AM Re: Medium Grand or Upright [Re: pianogranny]
stevecay Offline

Loc: Montreal
Same budget will buy "more" of an upright, rather than entry level grand. $10k new will get you closer to 5ft rather than a "medium sized grand". Used will get you larger at that budget.

However a grand will ofter a better "grand action", better sound projection, add an aesthetic to the room, and pleasure looking over the piano instead of at a wall that an upright can't match. I say most definitely "look, play, and listen" before making up your mind.

Had the same budget, and here are some models that you can score new for under $10K that I looked at a few years ago:
Yamaha GB1K: Piano I chose, see my comments in a recent thread.
Kawai GM-10: Decent piano, more mellow than Yamaha, I found Yamaha action nicer.
Cable Nelson: Made by Yamaha. Laminated soundboard unlike above solid ones. Did not particularly like this piano.

Although above are Japanese companies, their entry level is typically made in Indonesia.

Tried some lesser Chinese brands that I did not like. However read some positive comments on Baldwin, Hailun, and Brodmann.

Plenty of commentary on the various options in this price range if you search ...

Edited by stevecay (01/11/14 09:49 AM)

#2212745 - 01/11/14 10:27 AM Re: Medium Grand or Upright [Re: pianogranny]
Swarth Offline

Loc: SF Bay Area Ca.
I think when budget is a consideration used is the best value in pianos. Just a quick look at Craig's List turned up a decent 5'8" grand "Shiny lack Yamaha G2, Great condition, just tuned. Full warranty." from a local dealer for $6,100. It's a buyers market for sure. If you just want a piano to have one in the house an upright is fine for occasional use. If you plan on actually playing it in an effort to to get back to "pretty good" and beyond, my experience is that an upright will only slow down your progress.

#2212754 - 01/11/14 10:47 AM Re: Medium Grand or Upright [Re: pianogranny]
jdw Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Oh, get a grand if you can, you'll never regret it! You should be able to get a good one in your price range on the used market, though it may take some time. I found that a lot of pianos described as "excellent condition" were rather disappointing. (Private sellers often think "excellent" means it looks ok and all the notes play.)

I would look for American Baldwins (often a great value and great pianos), Kawai, Yamaha--those are probably the most common good-quality grands likely to be in that range. You may find others, though.

Good luck with your search!
Mozart, K 330
Brahms, Op. 118 no. 2

#2212758 - 01/11/14 10:56 AM Re: Medium Grand or Upright [Re: pianogranny]
DanS Offline
500 Post Club Member

A grand, of course. The range of tone/color is so much broader on a grand.

#2212791 - 01/11/14 11:52 AM Re: Medium Grand or Upright [Re: pianogranny]
Hakki Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Definitely a grand.

No need to think even for a split of a second.

http://www.youtube.com/user/hakkithepianist

#2212902 - 01/11/14 03:05 PM Re: Medium Grand or Upright [Re: pianogranny]
supersport Offline

Loc: Arkansas
What about a '94 Baldwin R for $6500? If I were looking it would catch my eye.

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/msg/4262658699.html

#2212903 - 01/11/14 03:05 PM Re: Medium Grand or Upright [Re: stevecay]
pianogranny Offline

Thank you so much! This information is very helpful!
Originally Posted By: stevecay
Same budget will buy "more" of an upright, rather than entry level grand. $10k new will get you closer to 5ft rather than a "medium sized grand". Used will get you larger at that budget.

However a grand will ofter a better "grand action", better sound projection, add an aesthetic to the room, and pleasure looking over the piano instead of at a wall that an upright can't match. I say most definitely "look, play, and listen" before making up your mind.

Had the same budget, and here are some models that you can score new for under $10K that I looked at a few years ago:
Yamaha GB1K: Piano I chose, see my comments in a recent thread.
Kawai GM-10: Decent piano, more mellow than Yamaha, I found Yamaha action nicer.
Cable Nelson: Made by Yamaha. Laminated soundboard unlike above solid ones. Did not particularly like this piano.

Although above are Japanese companies, their entry level is typically made in Indonesia.

Tried some lesser Chinese brands that I did not like. However read some positive comments on Baldwin, Hailun, and Brodmann.

Plenty of commentary on the various options in this price range if you search ...
Freelance journalist

1994 Baldwin R

#2212904 - 01/11/14 03:06 PM Re: Medium Grand or Upright [Re: Swarth]
pianogranny Offline

This is great! Thank you! I haven't found that good of a deal on our Craigs list, but will keep looking!
Originally Posted By: Swarth
I think when budget is a consideration used is the best value in pianos. Just a quick look at Craig's List turned up a decent 5'8" grand "Shiny lack Yamaha G2, Great condition, just tuned. Full warranty." from a local dealer for $6,100. It's a buyers market for sure. If you just want a piano to have one in the house an upright is fine for occasional use. If you plan on actually playing it in an effort to to get back to "pretty good" and beyond, my experience is that an upright will only slow down your progress.
Freelance journalist

1994 Baldwin R

#2212905 - 01/11/14 03:07 PM Re: Medium Grand or Upright [Re: jdw]
pianogranny Offline

Thank you! I will do that! Incidently, I was looking on the Chicago Craigs list last week -during that really cold spell and saw a guy who had a Black Baldwin Baby grand IN HIS GARAGE!!! Really???
Originally Posted By: jdw
Oh, get a grand if you can, you'll never regret it! You should be able to get a good one in your price range on the used market, though it may take some time. I found that a lot of pianos described as "excellent condition" were rather disappointing. (Private sellers often think "excellent" means it looks ok and all the notes play.)

I would look for American Baldwins (often a great value and great pianos), Kawai, Yamaha--those are probably the most common good-quality grands likely to be in that range. You may find others, though.

Good luck with your search!
Freelance journalist

1994 Baldwin R

#2212906 - 01/11/14 03:08 PM Re: Medium Grand or Upright [Re: supersport]
pianogranny Offline

I am going to check that one out! THanks so much!
Originally Posted By: supersport
What about a '94 Baldwin R for $6500? If I were looking it would catch my eye.

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/msg/4262658699.html
Freelance journalist

1994 Baldwin R

#2212935 - 01/11/14 04:03 PM Re: Medium Grand or Upright [Re: pianogranny]
shaolin95 Offline

I love my Grand for sure and for your budget, you should be able to find it new. It is the Young Chang Y185 6-1 but there is also the Weber line up which normally is more expensive but still you should be able to find a 5-7 or so in that price range brand new or go used market if you prefer that.
If you can fit the grand, I say go for it. Nothing wrong with the upright but the action of the grand to me is sweet and also for me, mentally it placed me in a different state...just sitting there in front of it was a different experience laugh
Good luck!

*Baldwin Hamilton Studio '67 (gone)

*Young Chang Y150 (Del F design) (gone)

#2212959 - 01/11/14 04:36 PM Re: Medium Grand or Upright [Re: shaolin95]
pianogranny Offline

Thank you! I am leaning more and more towards a grand and if we get rid of one piece of furniture, we should be ok!
Originally Posted By: shaolin95
I love my Grand for sure and for your budget, you should be able to find it new. It is the Young Chang Y185 6-1 but there is also the Weber line up which normally is more expensive but still you should be able to find a 5-7 or so in that price range brand new or go used market if you prefer that.
If you can fit the grand, I say go for it. Nothing wrong with the upright but the action of the grand to me is sweet and also for me, mentally it placed me in a different state...just sitting there in front of it was a different experience laugh
Good luck!
Freelance journalist

1994 Baldwin R

#2212974 - 01/11/14 04:55 PM Re: Medium Grand or Upright [Re: pianogranny]
shaolin95 Offline

hahaha then do it for sure! Is not like you will really be getting rid of furniture but getting a new one which will also be an amazing musical instrument..a win win situation in my book. It took me a while and a lot of playing and testing to buy mine so I know the pains but it is very rewarding. smile

#2213004 - 01/11/14 05:50 PM Re: Medium Grand or Upright [Re: pianogranny]
jdw Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

It's not as hard to fit a grand as people sometimes think. At first my husband thought I was crazy to say we could get one in our 15-foot-wide rowhouse. It looks and sounds great! He now loves it as much as I do. Having a good instrument really inspires you to play more.
Mozart, K 330
Brahms, Op. 118 no. 2

#2213112 - 01/11/14 09:33 PM Re: Medium Grand or Upright [Re: pianogranny]
stevecay Offline

Loc: Montreal
If you are still not sure how it will fit into the room, some stores have a paper template in the shape of a grand. Lay it down on the floor, and check for space.

#2213118 - 01/11/14 09:41 PM Re: Medium Grand or Upright [Re: stevecay]
shaolin95 Offline

If you are still not sure how it will fit into the room, some stores have a paper template in the shape of a grand. Lay it down on the floor, and check for space.

Now that you mention it, I had a 4-11" first in my room so I used a computer program (free and simple really) to create my room and look for placement option and different 3d angles to see how a bigger one would look.
This is one of the renderings I did which made me go with the 6-1 and I am glad I did.
The end result was pretty close to the rendering. smile

Sweet Home 3D

Edited by shaolin95 (01/12/14 11:55 AM)

#2213267 - 01/12/14 07:52 AM Re: Medium Grand or Upright [Re: shaolin95]
pianogranny Offline

Exactly! And who needs stinkin furniture anyway, right? I sent a note to that Craigslist Baldwin baby grand owner, but no response yet. Maybe it is already sold. But at least I know now, that I have room and that maybe i can find a nice grand for cheaper than a new upright!
hahaha then do it for sure! Is not like you will really be getting rid of furniture but getting a new one which will also be an amazing musical instrument..a win win situation in my book. It took me a while and a lot of playing and testing to buy mine so I know the pains but it is very rewarding. smile
Freelance journalist

1994 Baldwin R

#2213268 - 01/12/14 07:53 AM Re: Medium Grand or Upright [Re: jdw]
pianogranny Offline

That is what i think too. Do you have a photo you could share of your piano in your rowhouse?
It's not as hard to fit a grand as people sometimes think. At first my husband thought I was crazy to say we could get one in our 15-foot-wide rowhouse. It looks and sounds great! He now loves it as much as I do. Having a good instrument really inspires you to play more.
Freelance journalist

1994 Baldwin R

#2213269 - 01/12/14 07:54 AM Re: Medium Grand or Upright [Re: shaolin95]
pianogranny Offline

That is such a cool program! I love it! And I will check the stores for a template! Thanks!

Now that you mention it, I had a 4-11" first in my room so I used a computer program (free and simple really) to create my room and look for placement option and different 3d angles to see how a bigger one would look.
This is one of the renderings I did which made me go with the 6-1 and I am glad I did.
The end result was pretty close to the rendering. smile

Sweet Home 3D
Freelance journalist

1994 Baldwin R

#2213526 - 01/12/14 05:14 PM Re: Medium Grand or Upright [Re: pianogranny]
jdw Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: pianogranny
That is what i think too. Do you have a photo you could share of your piano in your rowhouse?

Yes! You can see a bit of the dining area off to the left. LR seating area is out of the picture on the right. This whole space is about 15x30, with the piano more or less centered in the middle. We now refer to it (tongue in cheek) as 3 rooms: dining room, music room, and parlor. (There actually used to be walls separating dining room, parlor, and hallway).

Mozart, K 330
Brahms, Op. 118 no. 2

#2213588 - 01/12/14 07:12 PM Re: Medium Grand or Upright [Re: jdw]
pianogranny Offline

That is just lovely! Thank you for sharing this with me. This is the exact piano that i am going to look at on Friday--thanks to whoever sent me the craigslist ad for Milwaukee. She wants $6500, is that reasonable for a 1994, and do you love this piano??
Originally Posted By: pianogranny

Yes! You can see a bit of the dining area off to the left. LR seating area is out of the picture on the right. This whole space is about 15x30, with the piano more or less centered in the middle. We now refer to it (tongue in cheek) as 3 rooms: dining room, music room, and parlor. (There actually used to be walls separating dining room, parlor, and hallway).

Freelance journalist

1994 Baldwin R

#2213623 - 01/12/14 08:30 PM Re: Medium Grand or Upright [Re: pianogranny]
jdw Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

If the piano is really in good condition, $6500 is a great bargain. We paid almost twice that for our somewhat older Baldwin. It was well worth it, because this was by far the best piano we could approach for that price, after six months of searching among pianos both old and new. Of course, the Philadelphia market is different from yours, and every piano is different, but still.

My husband and I both love it--makes us happy every day! He was inspired to take lessons just from having it in the house.

Edited by jdw (01/12/14 08:31 PM)
Mozart, K 330
Brahms, Op. 118 no. 2

#2213717 - 01/12/14 11:00 PM Re: Medium Grand or Upright [Re: jdw]
shaolin95 Offline

If the piano is really in good condition, $6500 is a great bargain. We paid almost twice that for our somewhat older Baldwin. It was well worth it, because this was by far the best piano we could approach for that price, after six months of searching among pianos both old and new. Of course, the Philadelphia market is different from yours, and every piano is different, but still.

My husband and I both love it--makes us happy every day! He was inspired to take lessons just from having it in the house.

I sure can understand that inspiration comment as the same happened to me when I got my grand...my practice time at the piano increased dramatically! smile

#2213726 - 01/12/14 11:09 PM Re: Medium Grand or Upright [Re: pianogranny]
AJF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto
If I had $10k to spend on a piano, I'd look for a higher end used upright over a small grand. IMO, the minimal improvements that a small grand would provide action-wise wouldn't outweigh the benefits of the better and more even tone you'd get from a higher quality upright. I recently saw a Bechstein A-1 upright for sale in your price range. I'd take that piano any day over a most mid-grade smaller grands.
Many world class pianists got to "world class" owning and practicing on uprights.

Pianist, Composer
Disclaimer: Shigeru Kawai Artist

#2213881 - 01/13/14 09:23 AM Re: Medium Grand or Upright [Re: AJF]
pianogranny Offline

Thanks everyone! and AJF, where did you find that Bechstein?? I am going to look at the Baldwin on Friday, but I am just in the middle of my journey to find the right piano for me. I would def be interested in a Bechstein!
Freelance journalist

1994 Baldwin R

#2213908 - 01/13/14 10:09 AM Re: Medium Grand or Upright [Re: pianogranny]
AJF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hey, the Bechstein was in Toronto. It was one of their Academy line. I'm sure it's long gone by now but those types of deals aren't too rare.
Glad to hear you're taking your time in your search. I think that's the best way to be truly happy with your purchase in the end.

Pianist, Composer

#2214063 - 01/13/14 04:31 PM Re: Medium Grand or Upright [Re: AJF]
pianogranny Offline

Toronto? Darn--would have been a fun road trip!
Freelance journalist

1994 Baldwin R

#2214075 - 01/13/14 04:51 PM Re: Medium Grand or Upright [Re: pianogranny]
AJF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Ah, it's really cold up here until April. Stay away unless you really need to be here:)

Pianist, Composer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!

Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Mason Hamlin AA Vs Schimmel Classic C189
by blueeyes2014
11/28/14 02:29 PM
Accelerating learning; iPad, apps, & my digital piano p105
by megabyzus
11/28/14 01:27 PM
A piano is a "value proposition".
by turandot
11/28/14 12:38 PM
How Old should Bass Strings be Before You Replace Them?
by Paul678
11/28/14 11:03 AM
My Blüthner
by joe80
11/28/14 10:30 AM
Forum Stats
77074 Members
42 Forums
159420 Topics
2341841 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission