2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (Craig Hair, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, Davidnewmind, 5 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
That is such a cool program! I love it! And I will check the stores for a template! Thanks!
Originally Posted by shaolin95
Originally Posted by stevecay
If you are still not sure how it will fit into the room, some stores have a paper template in the shape of a grand. Lay it down on the floor, and check for space.

Now that you mention it, I had a 4-11" first in my room so I used a computer program (free and simple really) to create my room and look for placement option and different 3d angles to see how a bigger one would look.
This is one of the renderings I did which made me go with the 6-1 and I am glad I did.
The end result was pretty close to the rendering. smile

[Linked Image]

Sweet Home 3D

Karen
Bachelor of Music -Applied Piano
Masters in parenting and grand-parenting
Freelance journalist
"Music is what feelings sound like"

1994 Baldwin R
J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by pianogranny
That is what i think too. Do you have a photo you could share of your piano in your rowhouse?
Originally Posted by jdw
It's not as hard to fit a grand as people sometimes think. At first my husband thought I was crazy to say we could get one in our 15-foot-wide rowhouse. It looks and sounds great! He now loves it as much as I do. Having a good instrument really inspires you to play more.

Yes! You can see a bit of the dining area off to the left. LR seating area is out of the picture on the right. This whole space is about 15x30, with the piano more or less centered in the middle. We now refer to it (tongue in cheek) as 3 rooms: dining room, music room, and parlor. (There actually used to be walls separating dining room, parlor, and hallway).

[Linked Image]

1989 Baldwin R
OP Offline
That is just lovely! Thank you for sharing this with me. This is the exact piano that i am going to look at on Friday--thanks to whoever sent me the craigslist ad for Milwaukee. She wants $6500, is that reasonable for a 1994, and do you love this piano??
Originally Posted by jdw
Originally Posted by pianogranny
That is what i think too. Do you have a photo you could share of your piano in your rowhouse?
Originally Posted by jdw
It's not as hard to fit a grand as people sometimes think. At first my husband thought I was crazy to say we could get one in our 15-foot-wide rowhouse. It looks and sounds great! He now loves it as much as I do. Having a good instrument really inspires you to play more.

Yes! You can see a bit of the dining area off to the left. LR seating area is out of the picture on the right. This whole space is about 15x30, with the piano more or less centered in the middle. We now refer to it (tongue in cheek) as 3 rooms: dining room, music room, and parlor. (There actually used to be walls separating dining room, parlor, and hallway).

[Linked Image]

Karen
Freelance journalist

1994 Baldwin R
J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
If the piano is really in good condition, $6500 is a great bargain. We paid almost twice that for our somewhat older Baldwin. It was well worth it, because this was by far the best piano we could approach for that price, after six months of searching among pianos both old and new. Of course, the Philadelphia market is different from yours, and every piano is different, but still.

My husband and I both love it--makes us happy every day! He was inspired to take lessons just from having it in the house.

Last edited by jdw; 01/12/14 09:31 PM.

1989 Baldwin R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jdw
If the piano is really in good condition, $6500 is a great bargain. We paid almost twice that for our somewhat older Baldwin. It was well worth it, because this was by far the best piano we could approach for that price, after six months of searching among pianos both old and new. Of course, the Philadelphia market is different from yours, and every piano is different, but still.

My husband and I both love it--makes us happy every day! He was inspired to take lessons just from having it in the house.

I sure can understand that inspiration comment as the same happened to me when I got my grand...my practice time at the piano increased dramatically! smile

A
AJF Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
If I had $10k to spend on a piano, I'd look for a higher end used upright over a small grand. IMO, the minimal improvements that a small grand would provide action-wise wouldn't outweigh the benefits of the better and more even tone you'd get from a higher quality upright. I recently saw a Bechstein A-1 upright for sale in your price range. I'd take that piano any day over a most mid-grade smaller grands.
Many world class pianists got to "world class" owning and practicing on uprights.

Jazz/Improvising Pianist, Composer, University Prof.
At home: C. Bechstein Concert 8, Roland RD88
At work: Kawai GX2, Dave Smith Prophet Rev2 16-voice
OP Offline
Thanks everyone! and AJF, where did you find that Bechstein?? I am going to look at the Baldwin on Friday, but I am just in the middle of my journey to find the right piano for me. I would def be interested in a Bechstein!

Karen
Freelance journalist

1994 Baldwin R
A
AJF Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Hey, the Bechstein was in Toronto. It was one of their Academy line. I'm sure it's long gone by now but those types of deals aren't too rare.
Glad to hear you're taking your time in your search. I think that's the best way to be truly happy with your purchase in the end.

OP Offline
Toronto? Darn--would have been a fun road trip!

Karen
Freelance journalist

1994 Baldwin R
A
AJF Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Ah, it's really cold up here until April. Stay away unless you really need to be here:)

OP Offline
yeah, will do! Played a 5'10" Hailun today--sounded pretty darn good. Over my budget by about 2K but quite tempting!

Karen
Freelance journalist

1994 Baldwin R
OP Offline
You were all so helpful to me in deciding what piano to choose and I know I went from looking at uprights, but I did make a purchase yesterday. I bought the 1994 Baldwin R that supersport (David) found for me on Craigslist in Brookfield, WI. I have played quite a few pianos in the past month or so and this one was the right price, sounded amazing and was in fantastic condition. I was able to get it for $6200 so with the move it will be $6500 and the piano tech who looked at it told me that if he were selling it, he would sell it for $13,000. So, I snapped up that baby!

Thanks so much for your help! Can't wait to get it home

Karen
Freelance journalist

1994 Baldwin R

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Congratulations!

I'm sure that it will bring you so much enjoyment.

(Remember - We Love pictures)

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
On the subject of "will it fit" and "paper templates what I have done is very simple.

Measure your room in metres. Mutiply each dimension by 5. So my current music room is 4.2 x 5.2 so that equates to 21 x 26. Call those centimetres and cut out a sheet of card or similar to those dimensions. You now have a 1:20 scale model of your floor plan. Do the smae with the size of piano- so my Bechstein B equates to a piano shape 7.5 x 10 cm. I can see exactly how it will fit. I have a similar template for the space needed for the drum kit etc. etc. It really is as simple as that.

I did the same for the snooker room.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
S
S
Congratulations on finding a great used piano within a couple of weeks of looking!

When I searched a while back for months, the only things that turned up were either ancient, overpriced, poor models, or beat up!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Congratulations on your new-to-you Baldwin baby grand piano! I know you will enjoy it for many years to come!

As for selling it and more than doubling your money... chances are, that is a lot easier said than done. But you never know till you try. smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
Congratulations on your grand piano!

I wish you many happy years of enjoyment.

Congratulations on your finding.

Last edited by 3g-piano; 01/18/14 11:38 AM.
J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Yay! people will love to see pictures, I know.

1989 Baldwin R
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Congratulations!!! Post pictures when you can! Hope you enjoy your piano for years to come!!

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission