2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, 4 invisible), 1,330 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#2212695 01/11/14 09:58 AM
OP Offline
Well, I am still on my quest to look for a piano. I originally planned on an upright for space reasons, but I am thinking that with a bit of rearranging in my living room, I could fit a medium sized grand in here. My budget is $10,000 or less. Should I stick with the list of uprights many of you kindly gave me or branch out to look at some grands? If so, what are some decent ones that might fit into my price bracket? I haven't played in 4 years, but I used to be pretty good and need a piano with a warm sound and responsive action. Thoughts?

Karen
Bachelor of Music -Applied Piano
Masters in parenting and grand-parenting
Freelance journalist
"Music is what feelings sound like"

1994 Baldwin R
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hi Karen,

Being a piano music major, I'm sure you know some of the advantages and disadvantages of both a grand and an upright. I have two nice uprights, and I play them on occasion, but I love my grand pianos and play them the most. There is just something about playing the grand that more appealing to me...

If you can find the room for a baby grand and find a decent one within your price range, that would be my advice… but I’m not you and it is your decision. smile

Best of luck to you!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
S
S
Same budget will buy "more" of an upright, rather than entry level grand. $10k new will get you closer to 5ft rather than a "medium sized grand". Used will get you larger at that budget.

However a grand will ofter a better "grand action", better sound projection, add an aesthetic to the room, and pleasure looking over the piano instead of at a wall that an upright can't match. I say most definitely "look, play, and listen" before making up your mind.

Had the same budget, and here are some models that you can score new for under $10K that I looked at a few years ago:
Yamaha GB1K: Piano I chose, see my comments in a recent thread.
Kawai GM-10: Decent piano, more mellow than Yamaha, I found Yamaha action nicer.
Cable Nelson: Made by Yamaha. Laminated soundboard unlike above solid ones. Did not particularly like this piano.

Although above are Japanese companies, their entry level is typically made in Indonesia.

Tried some lesser Chinese brands that I did not like. However read some positive comments on Baldwin, Hailun, and Brodmann.

Plenty of commentary on the various options in this price range if you search ...

Last edited by stevecay; 01/11/14 10:49 AM.
I think when budget is a consideration used is the best value in pianos. Just a quick look at Craig's List turned up a decent 5'8" grand "Shiny lack Yamaha G2, Great condition, just tuned. Full warranty." from a local dealer for $6,100. It's a buyers market for sure. If you just want a piano to have one in the house an upright is fine for occasional use. If you plan on actually playing it in an effort to to get back to "pretty good" and beyond, my experience is that an upright will only slow down your progress.

Quid est veritas et mendacium, cum orbis terrarum.
J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Oh, get a grand if you can, you'll never regret it! You should be able to get a good one in your price range on the used market, though it may take some time. I found that a lot of pianos described as "excellent condition" were rather disappointing. (Private sellers often think "excellent" means it looks ok and all the notes play.)

I would look for American Baldwins (often a great value and great pianos), Kawai, Yamaha--those are probably the most common good-quality grands likely to be in that range. You may find others, though.

Good luck with your search!

1989 Baldwin R
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
A grand, of course. The range of tone/color is so much broader on a grand.

H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
Definitely a grand.

No need to think even for a split of a second.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
What about a '94 Baldwin R for $6500? If I were looking it would catch my eye.

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/msg/4262658699.html

David

OP Offline
Thank you so much! This information is very helpful!
Originally Posted by stevecay
Same budget will buy "more" of an upright, rather than entry level grand. $10k new will get you closer to 5ft rather than a "medium sized grand". Used will get you larger at that budget.

However a grand will ofter a better "grand action", better sound projection, add an aesthetic to the room, and pleasure looking over the piano instead of at a wall that an upright can't match. I say most definitely "look, play, and listen" before making up your mind.

Had the same budget, and here are some models that you can score new for under $10K that I looked at a few years ago:
Yamaha GB1K: Piano I chose, see my comments in a recent thread.
Kawai GM-10: Decent piano, more mellow than Yamaha, I found Yamaha action nicer.
Cable Nelson: Made by Yamaha. Laminated soundboard unlike above solid ones. Did not particularly like this piano.

Although above are Japanese companies, their entry level is typically made in Indonesia.

Tried some lesser Chinese brands that I did not like. However read some positive comments on Baldwin, Hailun, and Brodmann.

Plenty of commentary on the various options in this price range if you search ...

Karen
Freelance journalist

1994 Baldwin R
OP Offline
This is great! Thank you! I haven't found that good of a deal on our Craigs list, but will keep looking!
Originally Posted by Swarth
I think when budget is a consideration used is the best value in pianos. Just a quick look at Craig's List turned up a decent 5'8" grand "Shiny lack Yamaha G2, Great condition, just tuned. Full warranty." from a local dealer for $6,100. It's a buyers market for sure. If you just want a piano to have one in the house an upright is fine for occasional use. If you plan on actually playing it in an effort to to get back to "pretty good" and beyond, my experience is that an upright will only slow down your progress.

Karen
Freelance journalist

1994 Baldwin R
OP Offline
Thank you! I will do that! Incidently, I was looking on the Chicago Craigs list last week -during that really cold spell and saw a guy who had a Black Baldwin Baby grand IN HIS GARAGE!!! Really???
Originally Posted by jdw
Oh, get a grand if you can, you'll never regret it! You should be able to get a good one in your price range on the used market, though it may take some time. I found that a lot of pianos described as "excellent condition" were rather disappointing. (Private sellers often think "excellent" means it looks ok and all the notes play.)

I would look for American Baldwins (often a great value and great pianos), Kawai, Yamaha--those are probably the most common good-quality grands likely to be in that range. You may find others, though.

Good luck with your search!

Karen
Freelance journalist

1994 Baldwin R
OP Offline
I am going to check that one out! THanks so much!
Originally Posted by supersport
What about a '94 Baldwin R for $6500? If I were looking it would catch my eye.

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/msg/4262658699.html

Karen
Freelance journalist

1994 Baldwin R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I love my Grand for sure and for your budget, you should be able to find it new. It is the Young Chang Y185 6-1 but there is also the Weber line up which normally is more expensive but still you should be able to find a 5-7 or so in that price range brand new or go used market if you prefer that.
If you can fit the grand, I say go for it. Nothing wrong with the upright but the action of the grand to me is sweet and also for me, mentally it placed me in a different state...just sitting there in front of it was a different experience laugh
Good luck!

OP Offline
Thank you! I am leaning more and more towards a grand and if we get rid of one piece of furniture, we should be ok!
Originally Posted by shaolin95
I love my Grand for sure and for your budget, you should be able to find it new. It is the Young Chang Y185 6-1 but there is also the Weber line up which normally is more expensive but still you should be able to find a 5-7 or so in that price range brand new or go used market if you prefer that.
If you can fit the grand, I say go for it. Nothing wrong with the upright but the action of the grand to me is sweet and also for me, mentally it placed me in a different state...just sitting there in front of it was a different experience laugh
Good luck!

Karen
Freelance journalist

1994 Baldwin R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
hahaha then do it for sure! Is not like you will really be getting rid of furniture but getting a new one which will also be an amazing musical instrument..a win win situation in my book. It took me a while and a lot of playing and testing to buy mine so I know the pains but it is very rewarding. smile

J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
It's not as hard to fit a grand as people sometimes think. At first my husband thought I was crazy to say we could get one in our 15-foot-wide rowhouse. It looks and sounds great! He now loves it as much as I do. Having a good instrument really inspires you to play more.

1989 Baldwin R
S
S
If you are still not sure how it will fit into the room, some stores have a paper template in the shape of a grand. Lay it down on the floor, and check for space.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by stevecay
If you are still not sure how it will fit into the room, some stores have a paper template in the shape of a grand. Lay it down on the floor, and check for space.

Now that you mention it, I had a 4-11" first in my room so I used a computer program (free and simple really) to create my room and look for placement option and different 3d angles to see how a bigger one would look.
This is one of the renderings I did which made me go with the 6-1 and I am glad I did.
The end result was pretty close to the rendering. smile

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Sweet Home 3D

Last edited by shaolin95; 01/12/14 12:55 PM.
OP Offline
Exactly! And who needs stinkin furniture anyway, right? I sent a note to that Craigslist Baldwin baby grand owner, but no response yet. Maybe it is already sold. But at least I know now, that I have room and that maybe i can find a nice grand for cheaper than a new upright!
Originally Posted by shaolin95
hahaha then do it for sure! Is not like you will really be getting rid of furniture but getting a new one which will also be an amazing musical instrument..a win win situation in my book. It took me a while and a lot of playing and testing to buy mine so I know the pains but it is very rewarding. smile

Karen
Freelance journalist

1994 Baldwin R
OP Offline
That is what i think too. Do you have a photo you could share of your piano in your rowhouse?
Originally Posted by jdw
It's not as hard to fit a grand as people sometimes think. At first my husband thought I was crazy to say we could get one in our 15-foot-wide rowhouse. It looks and sounds great! He now loves it as much as I do. Having a good instrument really inspires you to play more.

Karen
Freelance journalist

1994 Baldwin R
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission