Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 232 of 238 < 1 2 ... 230 231 232 233 234 ... 237 238 >
Topic Options
#2321700 - 08/29/14 08:22 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: CarlosCC]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
Thanks Carlos, it's a bit difficult because she just this month assigned me the 'Expressive Etudes" series and I will need her assessment of course not being very familiar with classical genre.

I hope these books get more advanced as we progress through them; I admit these might help my technique but I sure don't see how it will help my reading because this book (One) is all simple pieces/notes within the staffs and simple rhythms to boot.

Nevertheless, thanks for the kind thoughts. smile

Just be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2321705 - 08/29/14 08:36 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: SwissMS]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
I have another AOTW - I finally received my ABRSM grade 5 theory exam results: 89/100, a merit! I missed distinction by one point. Still, I am very happy with the results. With that passed, I am now cleared to sit practical exams grades 6-8. I plan on sitting 5 in November, and 6 in June.

Wow, congratulations SwissMS that's quite a good achievement. Just for that I'll just pour a glass of red and toast your AOTW. grin

#2321706 - 08/29/14 08:42 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: FarmGirl]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
1) I hosted Phoenix Piano Club monthly performance! It was a good party. It started at 7:30 and ended 10:30. Many excellent performance. I swear several members (including our own Carey) can play professional. I enjoyed an endearing showmanship of an 85 year old pianist. I had 17 piano performers 1 clarinet and 7 non performing guests. It took a whole day to prepare the site (chairs placed around piano), food and beverage preparation. They liked my piano shaped cake, hehehe.

Sounds like a fun evening FarmGirl. Congrats on a successful party. smile

#2321773 - 08/30/14 12:37 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: SwissMS]
Whizbang Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: SwissMS
I have another AOTW - I finally received my ABRSM grade 5 theory exam results: 89/100, a merit! I missed distinction by one point. Still, I am very happy with the results. With that passed, I am now cleared to sit practical exams grades 6-8. I plan on sitting 5 in November, and 6 in June.

That is so awesome, SwissMS.

#2321786 - 08/30/14 02:51 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
SwissMS
You are a roll model for many of us.
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

#2321857 - 08/30/14 11:03 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Sand Tiger Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
Good to see so much activity and so many achievements.

BrianDX, 300 pieces in year! OMG dude. A well earned sticker
CarlosCC good to see your pixels and to hear that you are back at the bench.

Farmgirl, a big party, a new job, a plan for the future, a red letter week for you.
LarryShone, congrats on the marks at school.

SwissMS, well done on passing the exam, and a wonderful attitude towards it all too.
Every one else, good going, and keep posting.

Week 129: All my recent free play has me starting a new piece, tentative titles are Menagerie or Mirrors. Separately, I take one of my old pennywhistle tunes and try to play it on the piano. I haven't tried that before with my extensive catalog of songs that I wrote before piano. It sounds thin, and tinny. A basic arrangement muddies the melody line. I don't know if I can find an arrangement that brings out the vibrant and beautiful melody line that the song has on whistle. Thirdly, I go back to poking away at Simple Gifts, such a beautiful melody in that one.

#2321944 - 08/30/14 05:05 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: FarmGirl]
FarmGirl Offline

Originally Posted By: FarmGirl
SwissMS
You are a roll model for many of us.

Just realized that I mixed SwissMS with cinnamon roll.
Meant "role model"
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

#2322544 - 09/01/14 07:20 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: BrianDX]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brighton Colorado
Originally Posted By: BrianDX
AOTW:

OK if I'm the only adult in this forum who a) gets stickers and b) really enjoys them, then I'm seriously going to hide my head in shame. frown

My kids got stickers and I always wanted them but my teacher thought adults shouldn't get them. Bummer for me but GREAT for you. When my teacher says "not too bad" that's the verbal equivalent of the sticker.

Love to learn

#2322549 - 09/01/14 08:00 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: WiseBuff]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Originally Posted By: WiseBuff
Originally Posted By: BrianDX
AOTW:

OK if I'm the only adult in this forum who a) gets stickers and b) really enjoys them, then I'm seriously going to hide my head in shame. frown

My kids got stickers and I always wanted them but my teacher thought adults shouldn't get them. Bummer for me but GREAT for you. When my teacher says "not too bad" that's the verbal equivalent of the sticker.

My teacher is pretty similar to Wisebuff's.
I love his lessons but I confess, (blushing), I'd be thrilled with a sticker. smile

#2322712 - 09/01/14 03:21 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Stefo Offline

As a self taught beginner (been playing for about six months), I am enjoying very small things laugh .
I tried to play this piece of music about a month ago, and failed miserably. Last week, I managed to play trough the first minute (not well, but with time I'll make it).
It has been a huge boost in confidence, can't wait learn the rest (I'm going to need a looooot of time)

Edited by Stefo (09/02/14 04:18 AM)

#2324813 - 09/06/14 06:08 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Welcome Stefo - you're doing really well for six month playing! Wow. Good for you.

Our thread has been pretty quiet this week - where is everyone?

Just a little update from me - today I was doing some sight reading and playing pieces I have not touched for months and was very pleased in both cases at how easy it was to read the music. I feel there's been a significant leap in my reading skills. - Particularly the bass clef which has always been trickier for me.

....I should clarify. I don't have trouble actually reading the notes, haven't for ages - but PLAYING them as I read is what has improved. smile

#2324815 - 09/06/14 06:12 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
BrianDX Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Lewes DE
Still here. At this point my achievements are a bit harder to come by as I'm now in a more difficult level (Faber PA Level 3A).

Still, I passed my first performance piece (see "OK What Do I Do Now?) at this week's lesson. One down and fourteen to go. shocked

#2324874 - 09/06/14 10:02 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
1000 Post Club Member

Week 130: I download a trial version of Pianoteq. I notice a difference, but the way my room is set up, it is too much trouble for the benefit. I also tend to play in short stints so the extra boot and setup time adds a lot of bother. It is probably coincidence, but also this week, I detected and removed some malware, and the DVD drive on the laptop seems to have failed. C'est la vie.

My new piece has a few more left hand notes than my others. My left hand complains. I may change the title to Mockingbird (Menagerie and Mirrors are other tentative titles). Simple as the new piece is, because I have so little skill with the left hand, I enjoy working on it. I am back to speed on the eight piece rotation that I was able to do before my summer trip and other time away from piano.

Have a good week everyone. Cheers.

Edited by Sand Tiger (09/06/14 10:16 PM)

#2324931 - 09/07/14 02:41 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Sand Tiger]
SwissMS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
It has been quiet here! Maybe we are all regrouping for the next push forward in our piano adventure! I do not have any specific AOTW, just steady progress. I am really having fun with my new pieces. I absolutely love Beethoven Sonata op. 79 Andante. I have a hard time "practicing" instead of "playing" it. I have the same problem with Knight Rupert and the 3rd movement of Kuhlau op 88 #3, Burlesco. They are just so fun! I cannot play them at this speed yet, but here are some great recordings by those who know what they are doing!

And no, I do not play them like this, YET!

European Piano Party July 4, 2015 in Switzerland!

#2324935 - 09/07/14 03:58 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

SwissMs - the Beethoven is lovely - I can see why you want to "play" rather than practice....you'll do a beautiful job on it, I have no doubt.

The other two pieces are FUN ! ...but wow, you're going to have to have super-Flying fingers. Lovely challenges, both of them. I look forward to hearing you play all three.

BrianDX -- it is normal to feel you are progressing more slowly when you hit a new level, because... you are! It takes time for the new skills to sink in - just be patient with yourself and it will come.

SandTiger - too bad Pianoteq wasn't as helpful as you'd hoped. I like "Mockingbird" as a title - it makes me curious!

#2325008 - 09/07/14 11:22 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Sand Tiger]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
[quote=Sand Tiger]Week 130: I download a trial version of Pianoteq. I notice a difference, but the way my room is set up, it is too much trouble for the benefit. I also tend to play in short stints so the extra boot and setup time adds a lot of bother. It is probably coincidence, but also this week, I detected and removed some malware, and the DVD drive on the laptop seems to have failed. C'est la vie.

My new piece has a few more left hand notes than my others. My left hand complains. I may change the title to Mockingbird (Menagerie and Mirrors are other tentative titles). Simple as the new piece is, because I have so little skill with the left hand, I enjoy working on it. I am back to speed on the eight piece rotation that I was able to do before my summer trip and other time away from piano.

I find Pianoteq easy too use on an older dedicated laptop permanently switched on and connected. Conversely, I prefer to use it for recording only, off a midi file saved from the DP. It's fun to fiddle with though and does have that acoustic ring to it. If that's what you want. .

""

#2325028 - 09/07/14 12:48 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
malkin Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Originally Posted By: casinitaly

I was in Switzerland for my dad's 84th birthday. He has been ill, so my brothers and I rallied together for a quick visit. SwissMS--I waved as I passed through Zurich on the drive south to their little village.

I got home early Saturday morning with jet lag, food poisoning, and a migraine and cancelled my lesson yesterday, so I guess it is piano related that I can sit on the bench and practice a little bit today, despite a little residual grogginess.

#2325037 - 09/07/14 01:05 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: malkin]
SwissMS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: malkin
Originally Posted By: casinitaly

I was in Switzerland for my dad's 84th birthday. He has been ill, so my brothers and I rallied together for a quick visit. SwissMS--I waved as I passed through Zurich on the drive south to their little village.

I got home early Saturday morning with jet lag, food poisoning, and a migraine and cancelled my lesson yesterday, so I guess it is piano related that I can sit on the bench and practice a little bit today, despite a little residual grogginess.

Sorry to hear about your father's poor health. I wish the best for him!

Too bad that I missed to your visit to Switzerland, as well! I would have had you over to play my piano to maintain your MOYD! I hope you recover from your jet lag, and illness soon!

#2325045 - 09/07/14 01:28 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
malkin Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Thank you, SwissMS! It was a very quick trip; if I had been nearer to you for more than a few hours I would have arranged to see you! They live in Dongio, so we had a bit of a drive after (and before) the airport.

#2325141 - 09/07/14 07:52 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Stubbie Offline

Loc: Midwest USA
My AOTW is getting through my lesson last Thursday with just one day of practice in the preceding week because we were out of town the rest of the week. My mother fell and broke her leg and at her age, it's serious business (getting old is not for sissies). So we spent last week in the state where she lives, trying to keep up her spirits and our own as well.

So I didn't get much new material assigned for this week. Continue with Clementi Op.36, no.3, and Chopin Sostenuto in Eb Major. The new piece is Chopin Waltz in Am, but this is something I worked on before starting lessons, so I have a head start of sorts. I'm also working on minor scales, hands together.

#2325213 - 09/08/14 12:09 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Offline

Just came back from my first master class (with Dr Baruch Meir) in my whole life.
Wish I did not make so many mistakes but I did. Some of the mistakes were in the area I have never made. I was able to play through the piece but I wish I did better. He was very kind. All the advises were spot on. He corrected where I had problems on the spot. That was amazing. I have thank my two friends from the forum for helping me. Carey for giving me special lesson the beginning of the week. Bob for driving me, giving me positive support I needed and helping me with Media operation.

#2325332 - 09/08/14 11:03 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: FarmGirl]
SwissMS Offline
500 Post Club Member

FarmGirl, congratulations on your Masterclass! That is a huge challenge, and it sounds like you learned a lot from it. I am sure everyone makes more mistakes than they expect when being evaluated by someone in a masterclass. It sounds like you did great!

#2326181 - 09/10/14 10:47 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
earlofmar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
After a lesson last week which was a disaster, today's lesson was one of the best I could ask for. Well I could ask but I know I will never get that dream lesson. Also the sun is shining here and all is right with the world.

#2326305 - 09/11/14 07:14 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: WiseBuff]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: WiseBuff

Love it!

Most of my piano time now is spent on picking out melodies "by ear" and otherwise fiddling around for purposes of learning composition, very little playing anymore. If I move my focus from learning the piano to learning to write/compose/remix, I'll be very bummed to not have anything at all like ABF/AOTW to support those activities and share with others. frown cry

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

#2326311 - 09/11/14 07:43 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: aTallGuyNH]
BrianDX Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Lewes DE
Little things. I'm currently learning a piece in its original form by Diabelli. Tricky, but I'm making progress.

The neat thing is, if I look at different performances on YouTube, they are playing the exact same version I'm learning.

Up until now, I've been learning either "adapted" versions of classic pieces or original pieces that only are in the Faber series. That meant I had to find someone playing out of my Faber book in order to hear what it might sound like.

Little things...

#2326315 - 09/11/14 08:04 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: aTallGuyNH]
Exalted Wombat Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London UK
Originally Posted By: aTallGuyNH
If I move my focus from learning the piano to learning to write/compose/remix, I'll be very bummed to not have anything at all like ABF/AOTW to support those activities and share with others.

There are plenty of places where techniques are discussed and where you can present your work. But expect robust criticism rather than the "positive comments only" culture here! People are interested in your music but not, I'm afraid, in your personal development or fragile ego :-)

#2326340 - 09/11/14 09:49 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: aTallGuyNH]
1000 Post Club Member

Most of my piano time now is spent on picking out melodies "by ear" and otherwise fiddling around for purposes of learning composition, very little playing anymore. If I move my focus from learning the piano to learning to write/compose/remix, I'll be very bummed to not have anything at all like ABF/AOTW to support those activities and share with others. frown cry

ATallGuyNH,

I spend about half my time on composition. I share that here. Even though I believe I am the only beginner composer that does steady work on this thread, I share the journey here. Do understand that your compositions will be limited because of your beginner skill level at playing piano. If you stop forward progress on other fronts (learning pieces, musicianship, technique), you may be locked into a basic level. There isn't a right or wrong to this, but understand the choice you are making.

As other beginners progress up the piano skill ladder, those that spend significant time on composition tend to progress much slower. Some people are bothered by this, some are not. Still most will say, better to poke away like you are doing than to give up on the journey entirely. You can also share your original compositions during the ABF quarterly recitals. Really, for most, that is a bigger audience than we are likely to get any where else.

There is the composer's forum too. While a good many beginners post their beginner musings, there are also many that are educated with degrees and training. The moderator, Nikolas, won a competitive international composition contest. The activity level is low. This single thread tends to get as much activity as that entire forum.

Good luck with what ever you choose. Composing is what drives me on my musical journey. I find it extremely rewarding. A more traditional route may have gotten me much further up the skill ladder, or perhaps gotten me to quit out of frustration/boredom by now because of all the issues I have (chronic hand issues, tinnitus, slow pace of learning, et al).

#2326387 - 09/11/14 11:50 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
torquenale Offline

I always follow your progress but I'm not participating much lately.

But now I have a big achievement I want to share with you. I'm without a teacher from June to to end of September; usually I make big plans for the summer but at the end I loose my way. This year, apart from July, mostly spent on vacation without a piano, I could practice a lot (well, for me 1,5 - 2 hours per day is a lot) during August AND I mainly stick to a weekly I elaborated on Wednesday. I even practiced my scales regularly!
Now I have several new half-cooked pieces for the teacher to listen. They are at various stages, and I really need her advise.

Oh, and yesterday evening I went to concert of sublime Martha Argerich!! She's great!

#2326557 - 09/11/14 09:20 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Exalted Wombat]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Exalted Wombat
If I move my focus from learning the piano to learning to write/compose/remix, I'll be very bummed to not have anything at all like ABF/AOTW to support those activities and share with others.

There are plenty of places where techniques are discussed and where you can present your work. But expect robust criticism rather than the "positive comments only" culture here! People are interested in your music but not, I'm afraid, in your personal development or fragile ego :-)

I'm certainly not afraid of robust criticism, as long as it is constructive. Yes, we skew very strongly to the positive side, in AOTW particularly, but there is room for directive discussion, if you will. The ABF recitals, although also skewed very heavily towards the positive, have been helpful to me in terms of constructive criticism.

Yes, there are plenty of places for discussion of all manner of topics, but finding one that has a real sense of community is a challenge. More specifically, I'm interested in finding discussion sites where one can really get to know others (after a fashion) and have a reliable cadre of engaged participants who provide feedback with a solid context of the long term arc of my musical development (or lack thereof).

Even though I don't post very often lately, there are dozens of you for whom a quick glance at your name or avatar gives me a pretty deep background & context of your personal piano/musical journey, and vice versa. I can post a quick little thing (OK, "not likely" I know, but it's theoretically possible for me to write something short smile ) and I know there are a fair number of people who have that same context when they see my name/avatar.

It's really valuable to be able to share/vent/whatever with others on that level, and I hope we all don't take it too much for granted! I don't think one can really get useful critique without those doing the critiquing first understanding where we are coming from -- e.g. I know SandTiger's tight quarters and background in melodic instruments, Ron's cerebral/spiritual approach, Cheryl's loony neighbor, FarmGirl's neurotic perfectionism, our resident somewhat-grumpy-contrarian-who-we-love-anyway-and-seemingly-loves-us-back (and shall remain nameless), and so on.

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

#2326563 - 09/11/14 09:42 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: aTallGuyNH]
earlofmar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia

Even though I don't post very often lately, there are dozens of you for whom a quick glance at your name or avatar gives me a pretty deep background & context of your personal piano/musical journey, and vice versa. ......

When ever I see your name come up I am reminded of the Billy Joel pieces you submitted to the quarterly recitals which I really enjoyed.

Page 232 of 238 < 1 2 ... 230 231 232 233 234 ... 237 238 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Advice? First digital piano for family--already own a GP
by SCD
Today at 07:58 PM
Help with my DGX-650 and Synthesia!
by Jtreimer
Today at 07:21 PM
Piano tuning career prospects 2014
by Morrisos
Today at 06:56 PM
Ack! My piano is diseased!
by TwoSnowflakes
Today at 06:34 PM
Painting Piano Keys
by imustlearn
Today at 06:00 PM
Who's Online
128 registered (angga888, anotherscott, 36251, anamnesis, accordeur, 39 invisible), 1439 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76599 Members
42 Forums
158391 Topics
2325861 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission