2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 11 invisible), 1,867 guests, and 330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pathbreaker
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
...play very little or even no (non transcribed) Bach?
(Pianists with a ? are ones I'm less sure fall in this category)

Here are some that I think fall in this category:Horowitz, Rubinstein, Rachmaninov, Bolet, Trifonov(although he says Bach is his favorite composer), Casadesus(?),Cherkassky(?), Cliburn, Cortot(?), Volodos, Kissin, Friedman, Hamelin, Hoffman, Hough, Kapell(?). Katsaris, Lhevinne, Michelangeli, Uchida.

I also checked the 23 recital programs for the 2013 IKIF at Mannes in NYC.

http://ikif.org/schedule.aspx

Only around 2 of the about 23 recitalists included any Bach in their program.

It's quite a small sample and at the same time your post doesn't make a distinction between composers performed/recorded and composers played in general. For example, maybe Trifonov would play Bach mostly if given the opportunity to do whatever he wants. But given that he's in a position where he needs to respond to audience demand, he's not yet able to dedicate himself to his favorite composer.

At the same time, it's hard to imagine a pianist not playing tons of Bach during the developmental phase. So if you were to compare Bach's contribution to the average pianist's development against any other composer it might be similarly out of balance. Maybe most pianists need a break from all that Bach and only a percentage make it back.
I have serious doubts that Trifonov can't play mostly what he wants or that audiences would object to some Bach from him. His latest program opens with Stravinsky's Serenade en La, hardly an audience pleaser.

Nor am I sure that most pianists play a lot of Bach to the detriment of other composers at any stage of their learning curve although it's reasonable that some have studied more Bach than their performing repertoire would indicate. My impression(that's all it is) is that many move into playing mostly post Baroque music rather quickly.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 01/12/14 06:42 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Could be, but I'd be curious to know how most people have developed their rep or how they choose what they play. For me, the music that I play the most is not the same as the music that I listen to most. And sometimes I'm not sure how that happened.

The other reason for my comments is because when I listened to Schiff many years ago I saw him as primarily a Bach, Mozart, Schubert pianist. I assumed he didn't care for other composers such as Chopin and Beethoven (comparatively). I was obviously dead wrong about that after hearing him in recent interviews.

A
A
I suspect there are a number of reasons, some already mentioned, though I don't think in the larger picture, Bach is as neglected as you assume.

Unfortunately for Bach he got caught up in the whole "authenticity" debacle. Not only can't we play him on the piano, but unless we do lots of ornaments, and the right ones, your Bach stinks and worse it is "incorrect" or "inauthentic". Phooey I say.

I think the efforts by Andras Schiff, Andrei Gavrilov, and to a lesser extent Gould, Tipo and a few others to play and record Bach's complete works, or very large chunks of it, make them the experts of the subject. It becomes more of a specialty, still played a lot, but just in different venues.

If you spend even a few moments on uTube you quickly discover a lot of Bach from nearly every name you can think of.

With that said, I personally probably spend 8 - 10 hours a week playing Bach's music. You can teach a monkey to play fast (I am proof of that!) but it takes a true musician to play a fugue.

I think though you have swerved into a very complex subject.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by anrpiano
I suspect there are a number of reasons, some already mentioned, though I don't think in the larger picture, Bach is as neglected as you assume.

Unfortunately for Bach he got caught up in the whole "authenticity" debacle. Not only can't we play him on the piano, but unless we do lots of ornaments, and the right ones, your Bach stinks and worse it is "incorrect" or "inauthentic". Phooey I say.

I think the efforts by Andras Schiff, Andrei Gavrilov, and to a lesser extent Gould, Tipo and a few others to play and record Bach's complete works, or very large chunks of it, make them the experts of the subject. It becomes more of a specialty, still played a lot, but just in different venues.

If you spend even a few moments on uTube you quickly discover a lot of Bach from nearly every name you can think of.

With that said, I personally probably spend 8 - 10 hours a week playing Bach's music. You can teach a monkey to play fast (I am proof of that!) but it takes a true musician to play a fugue.

I think though you have swerved into a very complex subject.

I agree with most of this and that there's tons of Bach performed and recorded.

I also think it's not a great time investment (as others have mentioned). Both the difficulty in getting it right (I also think it's harder to memorize), and the expectation of a lack of appreciation for your efforts (as stated by some) makes it a hard thing to commit to.

Last edited by Pathbreaker; 01/12/14 06:58 PM.
A
A
[quote=Pathbreaker
I agree with most of this and that there's tons of Bach performed and recorded.

I also think it's not a great time investment (as others have mentioned). Both the difficulty in getting it right (I also think it's harder to memorize), and the expectation of a lack of appreciation for your efforts (as stated by some) makes it a hard thing to commit to. [/quote]

It depends on whom you are trying to please. I agree, I have always had a harder time memorizing and learning for that matter Bach's music. I play his music often in church (today both preludes and fugues in Eb/D# minor WTC BK 1& 2). I don't really care, even in a solo recital, if my audience appreciates Bach. I do and that is all that matters to me.

See, you get to say that when you are older and mean it. When I was younger I said but didn't believe it.

(Sorry about the screwed up quote, I still haven't figured out how to always get it right.)

Last edited by anrpiano; 01/12/14 07:10 PM. Reason: see last line
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
At the very top of your post you need to include a "]" at the end of the first line. Such as:
"[quote=Pathbreaker]"

(with "" removed of course)

I believe the technical challenge of playing Bach is that perhaps there is the expectation that Bach should sound on a piano as if it is not at all a piano that is being played. In fact, that the piano should almost sound like a harpsichord or clavecin. The great Bach interpreters apparently were able to create that illusion. Now Bach sounds good on almost any instrument, including my hand-orgue, and I am not at all of the persuasion that Bach should/could only be played on period instruments at the penalty of excommunication, but there is something in it I believe. Modern pianos create great sound, but in Bach another dimension is needed. I am not saying that Bach doesn't deserve a great sounding instrument, but there is something "abstract" -- beyond sound in Bach more than in any other composer. Can anyone, please, challenge me on this?

Don't get me wrong, I play a lot of Bach (and during a period almost exclusively so) but I found very few really successful interpretations (even among the names mentioned above) among recordings. This one is an exception:

Last edited by Frankni; 01/12/14 09:06 PM.

Yamaha C3, Sauter Delta 185, Sauter Omega 220
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I don't mind piano for solo Bach, but with an orchestra the harpsichord is essential in my opinion.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
To be enjoyable to an audience, Bach keyboard music has to be played very, very well. If played very, very well, it brings the house down. But it's not like Chopin which will still sound pretty and dramatic even if played rather badly.

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by hreichgott
To be enjoyable to an audience, Bach keyboard music has to be played very, very well. If played very, very well, it brings the house down. But it's not like Chopin which will still sound pretty and dramatic even if played rather badly.

Wrong.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by anrpiano

I think the efforts by Andras Schiff, Andrei Gavrilov, and to a lesser extent Gould, Tipo and a few others to play and record Bach's complete works, or very large chunks of it, make them the experts of the subject.

None of the above have recorded Bach's complete keyboard works. Playing and recording a composer's complete oeuvre, or large portions thereof, does not make one an expert.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JoelW
I don't mind piano for solo Bach, but with an orchestra the harpsichord is essential in my opinion.

Hahaha... and then you can barely hear the harpsichord. You've not ever heard a harpsichord with orchestra in person have you?

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

♪ ≠ $

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by stores

Hahaha... and then you can barely hear the harpsichord. You've not ever heard a harpsichord with orchestra in person have you?

Every single day.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

Every single day.

Well then, you're a lucky guy. Can't say I've ever known ANYONE who has been able to hear a harpsichordist play with orchestra live every single day.

♪ ≠ $

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

Every single day.

Well then, you're a lucky guy. Can't say I've ever known ANYONE who has been able to hear a harpsichordist play with orchestra live every single day.

Well, now you can.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

Every single day.

Well, now you can.

Who plays the harpsichord and with what orchestra?

♪ ≠ $

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

Various harpsichordists and the H. E. Pennypacker Philharmonic Orchestra.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

Various harpsichordists and the H. E. Pennypacker philharmonic orchestra.

I see. I prefer the Vandelay Camerata myself.

♪ ≠ $

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

laugh

You guys are good. I salute your knowledge of Seinfeld.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission