Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2213180 - 01/12/14 12:50 AM Played a Kawai CS-10 and CS-7 Today
michaelha Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi, I'm new to the digital forum, usually hang out on the acoustic side.

But today I found myself in a Kawai dealer and finally got to put my hands on a Kawai CS-10.

It looks great and sounds great, BUT, it doesn't quite feel like a real action. While pressing the keys, the resistance feels very consistent throughout the travel, which is not how, at least my, acoustic piano's action feels. This seems to affect the way you play ppp.

I've also played Yamaha's AG's, their actions feel like Yamaha actions which I like fairly well. My complaint with the Yamaha AG's were they sounded pretty small and of course it sounded like a Yamaha.

So I liked the Kawai CS-10 sound but the Yamaha AG's action. Maybe the next model will put these two things together.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#2213191 - 01/12/14 01:29 AM Re: Played a Kawai CS-10 and CS-7 Today [Re: michaelha]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
I`ve said the opposite. Like Yamaha`s sound, but prefer Kawai`s action. You can get yer fingers between the black keys better . .

""

#2213201 - 01/12/14 02:23 AM Re: Played a Kawai CS-10 and CS-7 Today [Re: peterws]
evamar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Spanish living in UK
That's something I have noticed with my CA65 (I think it's the CS7 but with another cabinet), but everybody keeps saying that the exposed keys are standard size. ???

Anyway, now I play between the black keys far easier than before.

I tried a Yamaha NU1 and it was veeeery nice, but completely out of my budget and emulating an acoustic and not a grand. I haven't had the chance to try the AGs to compare but am curious (not that I can buy them anyway).

Edited by evamar (01/12/14 02:23 AM)

Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted

#2213256 - 01/12/14 07:12 AM Re: Played a Kawai CS-10 and CS-7 Today [Re: michaelha]
bennevis Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: michaelh

It looks great and sounds great, BUT, it doesn't quite feel like a real action. While pressing the keys, the resistance feels very consistent throughout the travel, which is not how, at least my, acoustic piano's action feels. This seems to affect the way you play ppp.

Are you talking about the 'let-off' (escapement) feel, the slight extra resistance when you press the key down slowly before getting lighter again, which mimics that in acoustic pianos? I thought all Kawai DPs have this feature, but I must admit I've only ever played the high-end ones.

You'll find that (almost) all Yamaha DPs with the exception of the AvantGrands and NU1, are also lacking in this 'let-off' feel.

#2213286 - 01/12/14 09:11 AM Re: Played a Kawai CS-10 and CS-7 Today [Re: michaelha]
Pete14 Offline

The action on the new CA line feels too light and bouncy for me. I owned a MP 10, and honestly prefer that action over the GF action. The third sensor + added key length should've made for a substantial improvement, yet somehow Kawai missed the mark. Still, Kawai actions are good and quiet. I wonder if the new Yamaha TransAcoustic will close the gap. It uses only a soundboard for sound reproduction, sympathetic string resonance is not simulated since it happens naturally (real strings), and you also get a real damper mechanism.

#2213288 - 01/12/14 09:16 AM Re: Played a Kawai CS-10 and CS-7 Today [Re: Pete14]
enzo.sandrolini Online   content

Loc: Europe - France
Originally Posted By: Pete14
I wonder if the new Yamaha TransAcoustic will close the gap. It uses only a soundboard for sound reproduction, sympathetic string resonance is not simulated since it happens naturally (real strings), and you also get a real damper mechanism.

Wow..how did you get all these information ?
I am longing for NAMM for having more info on this 'transacoustic'

#2213302 - 01/12/14 09:43 AM Re: Played a Kawai CS-10 and CS-7 Today [Re: michaelha]
Pete14 Offline

There's a video on Youtube. Check out the demo on the C3X. there's an English version, and a German version. The guy playing shows the real sympathetic string resonance by playing a chord, and holding it down; he then lowers the volume. You can hear the resonances coming (according to him ) from the actual strings. I'm really intrigued by this instrument/system. No speakers, true sympathetic resonance, damper mechanism, etc....

#2213416 - 01/12/14 02:10 PM Re: Played a Kawai CS-10 and CS-7 Today [Re: bennevis]
michaelha Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: bennevis

Are you talking about the 'let-off' (escapement) feel, the slight extra resistance when you press the key down slowly before getting lighter again, which mimics that in acoustic pianos? I thought all Kawai DPs have this feature, but I must admit I've only ever played the high-end ones.

You'll find that (almost) all Yamaha DPs with the exception of the AvantGrands and NU1, are also lacking in this 'let-off' feel.

Yes, the motion when pressing down. The resistance feels pretty consistent throughout the push, doesn't lighten up towards the bottom half of the push.

I also played the Yamaha NU1 and didn't like the action either. The keys seem to come to a really hard stop, like there's no felt under the keys. Not sure if I'm explaining it right.

Re: the AG's sound. The bass seems really lacking and overall volume seems small too. Even on the N3 with the extra speakers and amps, cranked up all the way, it seemed to have the volume of a Yamaha C1.

It could also be that I'm comparing to my RX5 (6'6") that's in the corner of my living room with hardwood floors, no rugs, and the N3 was in a carpeted showroom in the center of the room. But when I played the CS-10, that thing has pretty big sound.

#2213509 - 01/12/14 04:51 PM Re: Played a Kawai CS-10 and CS-7 Today [Re: michaelha]
bennevis Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Re: the AG's sound. The bass seems really lacking and overall volume seems small too. Even on the N3 with the extra speakers and amps, cranked up all the way, it seemed to have the volume of a Yamaha C1.

It could also be that I'm comparing to my RX5 (6'6") that's in the corner of my living room with hardwood floors, no rugs, and the N3 was in a carpeted showroom in the center of the room. But when I played the CS-10, that thing has pretty big sound.

Interesting the way Yamaha and Kawai both claim their AGs and CS-10 respectively as 'hybrids' grin.

#2213523 - 01/12/14 05:09 PM Re: Played a Kawai CS-10 and CS-7 Today [Re: bennevis]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: bennevis

Interesting the way Yamaha and Kawai both claim their AGs and CS-10 respectively as 'hybrids' grin.

Yes we've discussed this on here before. AG's have the key action, Kawai's have the soundboard and wooden keys. Who's to say.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
121 registered (Al LaPorte, accordeur, A Guy, ando, 41 invisible), 1320 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76053 Members
42 Forums
157255 Topics
2309735 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Should I pursue piano?
by arpan70
09/03/14 01:05 AM
An edifying challenge
by BDB
09/02/14 11:44 PM
Steinway or Porsche?
by Jennymomofboys
09/02/14 10:16 PM
Shostakovich Prelude 4 (E minor)
by johnlewisgrant
09/02/14 09:24 PM
Help!
by MandyD
09/02/14 09:09 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission