Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2212717 - 01/11/14 09:34 AM Speakers for slab style digital piano
2726 Offline

So, still trying to figure out all of this stuff and what I want to wind up with.

If I were to buy a slab style DP such as a Kawai MP6 (or new model if released at NAMM), what works best for speakers? I have had recommendations for something like KRK Rokit speakers, but also wondering about a keyboard amplifier?

I play guitar and have a Trace Elliot 100W acoustic guitar amp, but don't know enough about the differences (if any) between an acoustic guitar amp and a keyboard amp. My Trace Elliot amp has a 10 or 12" woofer on the bottom and two 4" speakers above that in the amp cabinet.

Thanks again in advance for your advice and this great forum of knowledge!!

Jim

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2212749 - 01/11/14 10:36 AM Re: Speakers for slab style digital piano [Re: 2726]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
If the piano samples are in stereo, you'd want a stereo set up, right?

Whatever you decide on be sure to know the store's return policy. You always want to live with a speaker set up for a few days to know if you really like it.

You can always use professional headphones until you make your choice.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#2212787 - 01/11/14 11:46 AM Re: Speakers for slab style digital piano [Re: Dave Horne]
Charles Cohen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
Originally Posted By: Dave Horne
If the piano samples are in stereo, you'd want a stereo set up, right?

If you're doing stage performance, the piano may be fed _monophonically_ to the PA system. In stereo, one side of the house gets the bass, the other side gets the treble, and the keyboard seems to be 20' wide.

I've been content with one good speaker (EV ZXA1); I couldn't afford two of them.

Quote:
. . . You can always use professional headphones until you make your choice.

+1.

You can try whatever DP you buy with the guitar amp. Most people say that guitar amps (and their speakers) are "colored", and not as good as either powered near-field monitor speakers, or good PA speakers. [I haven't tested, and have no personal opinion.] Trust your own ears.

. Charles

#2212884 - 01/11/14 02:28 PM Re: Speakers for slab style digital piano [Re: 2726]
anotherscott Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Products marketed as "keyboard amps" tend not to be so great for piano.

Guitar amps are generally poor for piano, but since yours is specifically an acoustic guitar amp, it might fare better.

I like the EV ZXa1 mentioned, it's pretty natural sounding, reasonably priced, lightweight. On the higher end, I like the JBL PRX625, also very natural, can go a lot louder if need be, and can provide a much bigger bottom than what you can get out of the EV's 8", as good as it is. EV also has a new lower priced (but heavier) line that is supposed to be good (I think that has a 12").

If it's for a fixed installation, though (rather than gigging), then people often prefer "studio monitor" style speakers rather than PA style speakers.

I don't think stereo is essential (and always say that one good speaker is better than two crappy ones), but this, also, may be more of a factor for home/studio use rather than gigging.

#2213047 - 01/11/14 07:16 PM Re: Speakers for slab style digital piano [Re: 2726]
Possum SP280Krome Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: 2726
So, still trying to figure out all of this stuff and what I want to wind up with.

If I were to buy a slab style DP such as a Kawai MP6 (or new model if released at NAMM), what works best for speakers? I have had recommendations for something like KRK Rokit speakers, but also wondering about a keyboard amplifier?

I play guitar and have a Trace Elliot 100W acoustic guitar amp, but don't know enough about the differences (if any) between an acoustic guitar amp and a keyboard amp. My Trace Elliot amp has a 10 or 12" woofer on the bottom and two 4" speakers above that in the amp cabinet.

Thanks again in advance for your advice and this great forum of knowledge!!

Jim

I use the KRK5's for my synths and they sound fantastic; however I know some people might want the subwoofer made by them as well.
In general these sound clearer than keyboard amplifiers and guitar amplifiers focus on a different dynamic range and would not be suitable for a piano sound.
For a smaller room I find the 5" monitors to be good. It is all about personal preference, but in my opinion monitors are the better way to go
Korg SP280

Rokit KRK 6 monitors
MXL V67G microphone

#2213052 - 01/11/14 07:32 PM Re: Speakers for slab style digital piano [Re: anotherscott]
carkar Offline

Originally Posted By: anotherscott
Products marketed as "keyboard amps" tend not to be so great for piano.

Guitar amps are generally poor for piano, but since yours is specifically an acoustic guitar amp, it might fare better.

I like the EV ZXa1 mentioned, it's pretty natural sounding, reasonably priced, lightweight. On the higher end, I like the JBL PRX625, also very natural, can go a lot louder if need be, and can provide a much bigger bottom than what you can get out of the EV's 8", as good as it is. EV also has a new lower priced (but heavier) line that is supposed to be good (I think that has a 12").

If it's for a fixed installation, though (rather than gigging), then people often prefer "studio monitor" style speakers rather than PA style speakers.

I don't think stereo is essential (and always say that one good speaker is better than two crappy ones), but this, also, may be more of a factor for home/studio use rather than gigging.

I read somewhere that some people actually use a "good set" of pc speakers for home use with stage keyboard. Would you have a recommendation for a good set this, as I am looking at stage pianos to use for home, and dont really need all the massive sound of actual amps.

#2213209 - 01/12/14 03:00 AM Re: Speakers for slab style digital piano [Re: carkar]
pwl Online   content

Loc: Bay Area CA
I've recently hooked up a pair of Tannoy Reveal 501a powered speakers to my current keyboard. $110 each on Amazon with very positive reviews - and they're sounding VERY good here at home.

#2213214 - 01/12/14 03:30 AM Re: Speakers for slab style digital piano [Re: carkar]
Gretel Offline

Originally Posted By: carkar
I read somewhere that some people actually use a "good set" of pc speakers for home use with stage keyboard. Would you have a recommendation for a good set this, as I am looking at stage pianos to use for home, and dont really need all the massive sound of actual amps.

I use these here:
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-980-00040...p;keywords=Z623

They sound good - I have no complaints. They certainly sound a lot better than the built-in speakers. Not quite sure if I would actually need the subwoofer, though.

#2213341 - 01/12/14 11:39 AM Re: Speakers for slab style digital piano [Re: 2726]
David Farley Online   content

Loc: Illinois
I'm using a pair of Logitech Z-2300s (no longer made, but you can find them on eBay) that work quite nicely. Proper speaker placement is important. I had to put them up on stands and move them around a bit before they really sounded right.

Having a little extra oomph through the subwoofer does seem to make a difference to me, although with larger studio monitors it probably wouldn't matter.

#2213368 - 01/12/14 12:39 PM Re: Speakers for slab style digital piano [Re: 2726]
guyl Offline

Loc: Montreal, Canada
I used Dell 5650 surround speakers that I built into a cabinet for a digital piano. These are 100 watts and yet very compact. The subwoofer really gives a nice deep bass. You should be able to find these quite easily on the used market.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai Console
by landorrano
09/17/14 03:48 PM
Kawai VPC1 - What do I need to start?
by Gerardo Melara
09/17/14 03:32 PM
When interpretation varies greatly?
by 3times2
09/17/14 01:13 PM
Official: Fryderyk Chopin died of TB!
by bennevis
09/17/14 12:06 PM
Teacher wants me to play a "loud" piece too. (suggestions?)
by Tides
09/17/14 11:47 AM
Who's Online
144 registered (accordeur, acdyer, AEMontoya, Adypiano, 3times2, 43 invisible), 1505 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76231 Members
42 Forums
157582 Topics
2314696 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission