Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
60 registered (barbaram, AndyP, angga888, Beemer, bennevis, AZ_Astro, 17 invisible), 1231 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2200704 - 12/20/13 08:32 PM Re: Kawai F-10H pedal have too much latency/delay [Re: Daniel Richter]
joflah Offline

Loc: St. Louis, MO, USA
Originally Posted By: Daniel Richter

Maybe some of you can do a simulation in LTSpice following the suggestion of dewster of replacing R1 with a 4.7k ohm resistor. If show improvement I will do a real-live test.

Daniel, I tried it with a 4.7k, and it cut the 20 ms to 17ms or so, but that's with the 1.0uF still in the circuit. Removing that cuts the lag to microseconds, which is what is confusing about your results with the cap removed.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2200715 - 12/20/13 08:58 PM Re: Kawai F-10H pedal have too much latency/delay [Re: joflah]
Daniel Richter Offline

Loc: Venezuela
Maybe the ES100 electronics might get something to do with how the F-10H pedal works. At least with switch the ES100 looks fast.

My project: Comparison of Portable Digital Pianos under 1000 US$

Owner of Kawai ES100

#2212872 - 01/11/14 02:16 PM Re: Kawai F-10H pedal have too much latency/delay [Re: Daniel Richter]
Daniel Richter Offline

After contacting Kawai, this is what they say:

"An internal problem was discovered in a small number of early production units of the ES100 which caused the pedal to operate in the manner that you describe. This problem was quickly corrected and new ES100s now respond correctly to the pedal. The problem was never in the pedal, but rather in the keyboard, so a different pedal will produce the same results on your unit."

I first though the problem was the pedal. They say is the digital piano itself.

If you choice ES100, make sure you get one from the new ones where they say they correct this.

Owner of Kawai ES100

#2212882 - 01/11/14 02:24 PM Re: Kawai F-10H pedal have too much latency/delay [Re: Daniel Richter]
Squall21 Offline

That's good to hear.

Daniel, how would you suggest I test this out to see if the one the dealer puts out in the store has any latency issues?

#2212887 - 01/11/14 02:37 PM Re: Kawai F-10H pedal have too much latency/delay [Re: Squall21]
Daniel Richter Offline

In a store is kinda hard to test. Delay is 0.1 seconds for pressing pedal; 0.07 seconds when releasing pedal. Is not very obvious delay for "inexperienced ears".

If you have a good ear, you could try press a key, release the key at the same time you press pedal very fast. The sound should sustain without any damping. If have the delay, the note will damp a little.

Edited by Daniel Richter (01/11/14 02:40 PM)

Owner of Kawai ES100

#2212938 - 01/11/14 04:11 PM Re: Kawai F-10H pedal have too much latency/delay [Re: Daniel Richter]
joflah Offline

I first though the problem was the pedal. They say is the digital piano itself.
If you choice ES100, make sure you get one from the new ones where they say they correct this.

It's great you've tracked down the problem. Is there any recourse for you? A firmware update, or a warranty replacement of the unit?

#2212971 - 01/11/14 04:50 PM Re: Kawai F-10H pedal have too much latency/delay [Re: joflah]
Daniel Richter Offline

They say only a warranty replacement is the solution. Sad part is that I live in Venezuela and shipment would cost around 500 US$. I could buy a new Casio PX-150 with that.

Not sure what I am going to do frown

The only positive thing i can say is that the sound on ES100 is excellent, keys feel very good, keys don't make much noise, and Kawai was good on customer support. On their side there is no problem to replace the product.

Owner of Kawai ES100

#2212994 - 01/11/14 05:38 PM Re: Kawai F-10H pedal have too much latency/delay [Re: Daniel Richter]
joflah Offline

Wow. Couldn't they just ship you an updated circuit card?

#2212999 - 01/11/14 05:43 PM Re: Kawai F-10H pedal have too much latency/delay [Re: joflah]
Daniel Richter Offline

I guess could be an option, but not sure if easy to replace by non-qualify person like me.

Maybe I can ask them, but opening the unit would invalidate warranty for the future.

Owner of Kawai ES100

#2213003 - 01/11/14 05:49 PM Re: Kawai F-10H pedal have too much latency/delay [Re: Daniel Richter]
joflah Offline

Well, if you asked them and they authorized it, maybe the warranty would still hold. After all, you do have a product with an admitted design defect, and it shouldn't cost you to get it set right.

Edited by joflah (01/11/14 05:50 PM)

#2213128 - 01/11/14 10:18 PM Re: Kawai F-10H pedal have too much latency/delay [Re: Daniel Richter]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
Daniel, if this is how Kawai is treating you for a problem they caused, I'd demand a full refund including shipping back to them. There are other DP manufacturers in the sea.

And what ES100's are safe to buy? Is there a serial number below which people should avoid like the plague?

#2213154 - 01/11/14 11:38 PM Re: Kawai F-10H pedal have too much latency/delay [Re: Daniel Richter]
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
dewster, Kawai America will replace the instrument under warranty.

However, their warranty covers the US only, which is why Daniel has been asked to return the instrument to a location in the US, where it can be collected and replaced.

Kind regards,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2213206 - 01/12/14 02:39 AM Re: Kawai F-10H pedal have too much latency/delay [Re: dewster]
pwl Offline

Loc: Bay Area CA
Originally Posted By: dewster
And what ES100's are safe to buy? Is there a serial number below which people should avoid like the plague?

Seems to me this is the critical issue now. For example, I'm seriously interested in purchasing an ES100. But no way do I do this unless I know the one I'm buying is NOT one of the "small number of early production units of the ES100 which caused the pedal to operate in the manner that you describe". And it also seems to me that if they've just discovered this, the likelihood of me getting one of the "small number" is fairly high, since my dealer has had his ES100's in stock for a while.

Bottom line: Be forthcoming, Kawai. What are the affected serial numbers?

#2213261 - 01/12/14 07:28 AM Re: Kawai F-10H pedal have too much latency/delay [Re: Daniel Richter]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kawai James
dewster, Kawai America will replace the instrument under warranty.

However, their warranty covers the US only, which is why Daniel has been asked to return the instrument to a location in the US, where it can be collected and replaced.

When is a warranty not a warranty? Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I submit the above as exhibit A.

I volunteer to fly down to Venezuela and fix this ES100 if Kawai sends the repair board and Daniel spends the $500 postage on my round-trip air fare! ;-)

#2213276 - 01/12/14 08:28 AM Re: Kawai F-10H pedal have too much latency/delay [Re: Daniel Richter]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
What jury? "Exhibit A" of what?
(Or is this just another rant?)

#2213541 - 01/12/14 05:46 PM Re: Kawai F-10H pedal have too much latency/delay [Re: dewster]
Daniel Richter Offline

I will ask them if there is a way to know if a unit is the fix one or the old one with the problem.

Also I will try to push to give me a measurement of latency. For now they say "is fix on new units", but I want proves and data about what "fix" means. In other words: how much latency Kawai consider "normal" or acceptable? I already ask but they didn't give me any data.

I am still thinking what are i am going to do, but like dewster say, right now i feel to change brand.

I maybe could afford get the ES100 in the US, but not sure if i can afford also the shipping cost back to kawai. I will ask them if i can get a refund that way, they paying shipping.

If that works, now I will be in the old-dilemma of "what DP to buy?". Sad because I was happy with ES100. Other models don't really look that great, at that price. Casio with noisy keys, yamaha with too light keys, roland with keys that feel very unrealistic, and Korg... I don't really know anything about korg models. I can't find people with korg models at that price. My budge was 600$ but I push to 800$ for the ES100, so don't recommend the Yamaha P-155.

I hear might be a new model Yamaha P-255. I suppose an updated version of the P-155. If price is lower, might be a winner. Not sure when will be release, though.

Thanks for the support guys. I will post any news when I figure out what I am going to do.

Owner of Kawai ES100

#2216464 - 01/17/14 11:20 PM Re: Kawai F-10H pedal have too much latency/delay [Re: Daniel Richter]
Daniel Richter Offline

Now when using switch pedal, sometimes i press and is not sustain. I though was the pedal, but actually is the ES100. This happens when press and release and press again quickly.

I am force to use the F-10H pedal with the latency.

This ES100 is a mess.

No doubt is going back, but not sure when or how, nor know if get another brand.

Owner of Kawai ES100

#2216470 - 01/17/14 11:37 PM Re: Kawai F-10H pedal have too much latency/delay [Re: Daniel Richter]
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
No doubt is going back, but not sure when or how...

Daniel, it is my understanding that Kawai America have offered to collect your ES100 and pay for it to be sent back to the US (from where it was purchased). This gesture goes beyond the obligations of the warranty, and in my opinion is quite a generous offer.

Kind regards,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2216472 - 01/17/14 11:46 PM Re: Kawai F-10H pedal have too much latency/delay [Re: Kawai James]
Daniel Richter Offline

Yes, is a great offer. I never complaint on kawai support. From beginning I always say Kawai was very good on that aspect.

Problem remains that I have to pay to send it back here and is like 500$. Or I can pay send to US and kawai pay send to venezuela. Ether way I would have to pay the 500$. I am not asking kawai pay that too, but still is a problem for me.

Not sure yet what I am going to do. Maybe I can travel to US with the DP and Kawai can collect the ES100 from US. A lot cheaper for them and me. That will still be problematic, but is my plan A, for now.

I send email to them a few days ago. Would have to wait for reply.

Owner of Kawai ES100

#2216491 - 01/18/14 01:19 AM Re: Kawai F-10H pedal have too much latency/delay [Re: Kawai James]
pwl Offline

Loc: Bay Area CA
Kawai James -

Can you make the case to Kawai (use your influence!) that they need to tell the public what serial numbers are affected re the pedal issue?

Until I can be assured that the ES100 I buy will not have the problem, I don't see how I can make the purchase. If Kawai's answer is "You're covered under warranty if there's a problem", that's not satisfactory considering this is a KNOWN issue that Kawai says affected a "small number" of units and has been corrected in current production. If that's so, tell the consumer the relevant serial number info so he can be confident in the ES100 he's buying.

Thanks for all you bring to this board!

#2216537 - 01/18/14 06:31 AM Re: Kawai F-10H pedal have too much latency/delay [Re: pwl]
blackspaven Offline

My mate who literally just bought one probably won't be affected by this, but I'm sure he'd feel more confident knowing which serial numbers it affects too.

#2216545 - 01/18/14 07:33 AM Re: Kawai F-10H pedal have too much latency/delay [Re: Daniel Richter]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Now when using switch pedal, sometimes i press and is not sustain. I though was the pedal, but actually is the ES100. This happens when press and release and press again quickly.

I'm amazed at how lame this ES100 is, and how poorly Kawai is handling this whole situation. Known bad products should be repaired / replaced at no expense to their unfortunate owners, regardless of where they live or where they bought it.

#2216558 - 01/18/14 08:34 AM Re: Kawai F-10H pedal have too much latency/delay [Re: Daniel Richter]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Compare Kawai to Apple ... and then Kawai looks pretty good.

#2216568 - 01/18/14 08:59 AM Re: Kawai F-10H pedal have too much latency/delay [Re: dewster]
blackspaven Offline

Originally Posted By: dewster

I'm amazed at how lame this ES100 is, and how poorly Kawai is handling this whole situation. Known bad products should be repaired / replaced at no expense to their unfortunate owners, regardless of where they live or where they bought it.

Am I missing something or wat makes it lame apart from a SINGLE fault in older models?? Seems a bit of an over-reaction.

#2216592 - 01/18/14 09:41 AM Re: Kawai F-10H pedal have too much latency/delay [Re: Daniel Richter]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

True. Also: I'm reading here lots technobabble about a few msecs of pedal latency, which would seem to be below the threshold of perception. I'm not sure the problem is even significant. Is it really a problem?

#2216631 - 01/18/14 10:53 AM Re: Kawai F-10H pedal have too much latency/delay [Re: MacMacMac]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: blackspaven
Am I missing something or wat makes it lame apart from a SINGLE fault in older models?? Seems a bit of an over-reaction.

To clarify: I'm amazed at how lame Daniel's ES100 is, not necessarily ES100's in general.

#2216651 - 01/18/14 11:29 AM Re: Kawai F-10H pedal have too much latency/delay [Re: MacMacMac]
Daniel Richter Offline

Originally Posted By: MacMacMac
True. Also: I'm reading here lots technobabble about a few msecs of pedal latency, which would seem to be below the threshold of perception. I'm not sure the problem is even significant. Is it really a problem?

Is very notable, sorry to say. In real life make a lot of difference. That is why i start investigating and testing.

I know what I am doing. I play piano for many years and I am telling the truth. Is way pass the line of perception.

Owner of Kawai ES100

#2216880 - 01/18/14 08:32 PM Re: Kawai F-10H pedal have too much latency/delay [Re: Daniel Richter]
lolatu Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
If there are known to be faulty units out there, what kind of company doesn't issue a recall, but waits to see if people notice and fixes it under warranty?

Unless they do a recall, faulty ES100s will be showing up on the second-hand market for years to come, and Kawai's reputation for quality will nose-dive.

#2216999 - 01/19/14 05:35 AM Re: Kawai F-10H pedal have too much latency/delay [Re: lolatu]
blackspaven Offline

Originally Posted By: lolatu
If there are known to be faulty units out there, what kind of company doesn't issue a recall, but waits to see if people notice and fixes it under warranty?

Try... most car companies, for a start. As an example, the VAG group have an issue with 2.0 TFSI engines in that the timing chain tensioner MAY stop doing it's job which leads to the chain jumping and usually needing a replacement engine! They know about it, but it happens quite infrequently so there's no recall as it's in such small numbers. It gets dealt with on an individual basis cos it's much, much cheaper.

Possibly what will happen here IF people complain. Other's might not be as bothered by it or not notice it. By what has been said on here, it's so few models that MAY have this fault, that it's likely to make zero impact on the brand name down the line as it'll be a fraction of a percent that have it. Daniel is the only person on here to have mentioned it, it's hardly cost effective for them, let alone any company, to track down and write to every ES100 owner: even a press release will likely go un-noticed by most so there's not much point.

#2217485 - 01/20/14 04:42 AM Re: Kawai F-10H pedal have too much latency/delay [Re: Daniel Richter]
blackspaven Offline

Got an email this morning from Kawai Europe who have said that as far as they know none of the UK sold models are the 'early' examples with this issue.

So if you're buying in the UK at least you can buy with confidence and have no worries if you've already got one.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A new clip of Don Pullen in action
by rintincop
12/17/14 11:03 PM
Learn a Song in 7 minutes: Carol of the Bells
by Hugh Sung
12/17/14 10:11 PM
December 2014 Holiday Piano Bar
by piano_primo_1
12/17/14 06:14 PM
The Language of Taste - Pianos, Wine ... and Birds
by PNO40
12/17/14 05:16 PM
Good Practice Amp for Roland FP7F?
by TheloniousPunk
12/17/14 04:24 PM
Forum Stats
77333 Members
42 Forums
159946 Topics
2348973 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission