Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2213543 - 01/12/14 05:47 PM Teaching Myself Piano
steamy Offline

Hi guys, basically i have like 2 or 3 primary questions and i'll also explain my situation, hope i get some helpful advice smile.

I am willing and able to practice piano atleast 30 mins - 1 hour of piano a day every day. My goal is not to become a piano master but to be able to be educated enough about the piano to be able to play my favorite pop songs which i know must not be too complicated compared to other pieces. I have never played an instrument in my life.

I bought a piano and so far all i know is the number of the fingers, the name and location of all keys, and a bit of familiarity with sheet music but not too much. I do not have desire or time to go to a teacher atm, so i was wonderinf if i could get some recommendations on books i can get or a study plan to help me learn piano. I have gone to like 4 different places online, some start out with learning scales, some with learned sheet music, but they are all kind of lacking organization, depth, etc, so in the end im a bit lost.

So i have no prior experience with music, i want to self teach my self with 30 mins - 1 hour a day, and i want to play my favorite pop tunes. I will post some of my goal songs and maybe you can tell me what kind of difficulty/grade they are?

Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IilVfIDC6B4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcB4MHjhgSQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIHZBKl7KPw

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2213567 - 01/12/14 06:22 PM Re: Teaching Myself Piano [Re: steamy]
R_B Offline

I (respectfully) suggest you visit the adult beginners forum here on pianoworld.
There are a few sticky topics there that you probably SHOULD read and seriously consider.

You didn't give any indication of whether or not you have ever played another instrument.
With NO musical training at all... IMO you should get at least a little bit of theory under your belt.
Also IMO learning to read sheet music does MATTER.

Someone I enjoy following is Bill Hilton, several of his videos are geared toward playing pop music, also jazz and blues.
Not a "Method" or a "Course" but a collection of vids that a lot can be learned from.

Good luck, it is a long journey, but not without rewards.
(even if it does make you state things in double negatives)
They say the first ten thousand hours is the hardest, I don't have anywhere near that.

EDIT:
Ooops, for some odd reason I didn't notice that your post is HERE already - in the ABF - please pardon the brain fade.
:END EDIT

Edited by R_B (01/12/14 06:28 PM)

#2213569 - 01/12/14 06:24 PM Re: Teaching Myself Piano [Re: steamy]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Welcome to the forum steamy, 30mins to an hour per day is just about right for any beginner but you need to be disciplined with your time to get the most out of it.

The good and bad news is learning piano is a great experience and joy to many, but progress can be painfully slow. Even to play simple pop songs it is desirable to have a basic knowledge of music theory and basic sight reading skills. You can get by with just being able to imitate the playing of others but ultimately you may find this unrewarding.

The Alfred's Adult All In One Piano Course is the most popular method book here and there is a forum thread for each of the progressive books 1-3. The books are a combination of theory and practical which take the student along a structured path. Other books are available but I am not so familiar with them.

#2213577 - 01/12/14 06:39 PM Re: Teaching Myself Piano [Re: R_B]
steamy Offline

This is in the Adult Beginners forum and i did mention i have never played another instrument. I have no musical training. What i want is to learn fundamentals which will help me play the pop songs i want, i thought i made this clear. I am fully aware that i need to understand sheet music, scales, etc.

Maybe me saying that wanting to be a piano expertee was not one of my goals, confused you perhaps, at the comment below you, yes i heard about that book, and i will go ahead and check those threads.

It would be very helpful if someone could visit the links i posted and give me an idea of what you consider to be their difficulty though.

#2213580 - 01/12/14 06:45 PM Re: Teaching Myself Piano [Re: steamy]
Brent H Offline
500 Post Club Member

A couple of the tunes you linked to (including the well-known "Clocks") are fairly slow and not real complicated. But still quite a ways beyond what a complete beginner is likely to be playing during his first year or two of learning the instrument.

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

#2213583 - 01/12/14 07:00 PM Re: Teaching Myself Piano [Re: steamy]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
There is a whole lot to learning piano. It is the King of instruments. You have to learn a lot to learn piano. You can take what you learn with Piano and apply it to any other instrument. All the other instruments are there on the keyboard....that's why.

Just playing both hands. That is a major change in the way the brain works. It takes a lot to do that. It's the sophistication of the nervous system.

On your videos. Many people cannot play piano and sing at the same time. That is another sophistication to throw in there.
I can't give you a rating on how hard those songs are. I can tell you. He knows what he's doing. He's spent much time practicing piano. You're gonna have to also.

If you heart is in it. You can do it.

Alfred's All in One Book 1 is where to start. It is very good for learning on your own. Introduces theory slowly. Well organized and laid out.

Maybe expertise is wrong word for what you meant. You're not interested in being any virtuoso on piano. Not interested in being one of these Concert Pianists that play Classical. ???? I think my intuition is right. You still will have to be an expert in music with piano. It isn't easy.

#2213589 - 01/12/14 07:14 PM Re: Teaching Myself Piano [Re: steamy]
pwl Offline

Loc: Bay Area CA
Steamy -

I agree that Alfred's All In One Book 1 is an excellent and solid place to start. As a supplement to Alfred's, you might also enjoy checking out Piano For All (http://pianoforall.com) which will give you a chance to jump right in learning various pop music techniques.

#2213590 - 01/12/14 07:14 PM Re: Teaching Myself Piano [Re: rnaple]
steamy Offline

Thank you very much everyone. Understood.

The reason i asked for a description of difficulty of songs, or grade, is because i would wish to get an estimate if there is a way, to know what kind of grade or difficulty this shows..or on average how long it would take to be able to play this.

The post above yours said that it could take one or two years, i understand that there is the hole "understanding piano" concept of it, but to be honest, if i could atleast play a song like the first one in a few months that would be fantastic albeit most likely incredibly unrealistic i suppose?

Edited by steamy (01/12/14 07:15 PM)

#2213591 - 01/12/14 07:15 PM Re: Teaching Myself Piano [Re: steamy]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
You would be best served with a good method book. Many pianists on this forum like Alfred's All-In-One Method book. Like any method, it has its good and bad points. Hal Leonard makes a method book that I prefer since it doesn't do hand positions so much and doesn't go straight to chords. This will serve you better later on, no matter what your chosen style of playing.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2213604 - 01/12/14 07:43 PM Re: Teaching Myself Piano [Re: steamy]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Originally Posted By: steamy
... if i could atleast play a song like the first one in a few months that would be fantastic albeit most likely incredibly unrealistic i suppose?

In a few months you will be in the middle of fighting your own mind to play all ten fingers, individually, all at the same time. It is a major adaptation and reorganization of the autonomic mind. Don't let it get you down. You will adapt. You will learn. You will go where no non piano playing mind has ever gone before.

I can understand wanting to play something soon. If you really want to do that as soon as possible. Get a teacher. Still work through Alfred's with the teacher. Ask the teacher to help you with this one song on the side. You can do it. In a few months?.... gotta get a teacher....even longer....gotta get a teacher...a good teacher...

#2213605 - 01/12/14 07:49 PM Re: Teaching Myself Piano [Re: steamy]
Beth_Frances Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
Please get a teacher. Even if it is just for the first year and from there you go solo. Once you have bad habits ingrained they will be extremely difficult to get rid of and they can even cause you injury.

#2213615 - 01/12/14 08:14 PM Re: Teaching Myself Piano [Re: steamy]
Brent H Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thank you very much everyone. Understood.

The reason i asked for a description of difficulty of songs, or grade, is because i would wish to get an estimate if there is a way, to know what kind of grade or difficulty this shows..or on average how long it would take to be able to play this.

The post above yours said that it could take one or two years, i understand that there is the hole "understanding piano" concept of it, but to be honest, if i could atleast play a song like the first one in a few months that would be fantastic albeit most likely incredibly unrealistic i suppose?

Well I was saying the first couple years would almost certainly be much more fundamental tunes than the examples you gave. It would be a pretty talented and hard-working Adult Beginner who could play a complete version of "Clocks" at full speed just two years into learning. But you do have the advantage of not being as old as most Adult Beginners!

I never know how to say this without sounding needlessly discouraging but it's very frustrating how little "real" songs and so forth a beginner can manage to play during that first year. No way around it but it's something tough to endure for most people.

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

#2213684 - 01/12/14 09:58 PM Re: Teaching Myself Piano [Re: steamy]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Well, going without a teacher ....

I would suggest this for you ...

Go to http://www.fundamentalkeys.com

Purchase the book that goes with that site.

Purchase the videos that are for sale on that site. ($3 each)

Do what the teacher (on the videos) tells you to do.

Do not hurry. Do each lesson very well before moving on.

If you do that, in 2 years you will be very happy with your piano playing.

There are a million ways to learn to play piano. I believe this is one that will work.

Good luck

Edited by dmd (01/12/14 10:33 PM)

My current system: Kawai ES7 + Focal CMS40 Powered Monitors, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface, Mackie ProFX8 Mixer, Ravenscroft275, True Keys American Grand, Ivory II American Concert D, Steinway Basic, Galaxy Vintage D, True Pianos, Pianoteq, Alicia's Keys

#2213697 - 01/12/14 10:23 PM Re: Teaching Myself Piano [Re: steamy]
Rerun Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisiana
Hi guys, basically i have like 2 or 3 primary questions and i'll also explain my situation, hope i get some helpful advice smile.

I am willing and able to practice piano atleast 30 mins - 1 hour of piano a day every day. My goal is not to become a piano master but to be able to be educated enough about the piano to be able to play my favorite pop songs which i know must not be too complicated compared to other pieces. I have never played an instrument in my life.

I bought a piano and so far all i know is the number of the fingers, the name and location of all keys, and a bit of familiarity with sheet music but not too much. I do not have desire or time to go to a teacher atm, so i was wonderinf if i could get some recommendations on books i can get or a study plan to help me learn piano. I have gone to like 4 different places online, some start out with learning scales, some with learned sheet music, but they are all kind of lacking organization, depth, etc, so in the end im a bit lost.

So i have no prior experience with music, i want to self teach my self with 30 mins - 1 hour a day, and i want to play my favorite pop tunes. I will post some of my goal songs and maybe you can tell me what kind of difficulty/grade they are?

Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IilVfIDC6B4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcB4MHjhgSQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIHZBKl7KPw

Hey Steamy, I listened to all three of those tunes that you'd like to play ... I have an idea if you want to try this, post a utube recording of someone singing or playing any tune you've been singing for ten years or so, the easier the better for now and we'll talk a minute about what you hear going on in that song.

"Seat of the pants piano player" DMD

#2213847 - 01/13/14 08:07 AM Re: Teaching Myself Piano [Re: steamy]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
The fact that you wish to play a piece like the ones you posted within a few months shows you really don't know piano. That's OK, no one who begins piano really knows what to expect until they get into the thick of it.

It is very hard to say how long it would take someone to learn something, because we don't know you at all. If you were my student and I worked with you for a couple of months, I'd be able to estimate how long it would take you to learn a piece that is within your grasp, but not a piece that is too advanced for you at that time. We know nothing about your practice habits, your talent, dedication, and cooperation/resistance to learning, so we can't give you a number. Some people could play at that level in a couple of years, maybe a super talent could do it in less than a year.

Thing is, you are not just hearing that pianist play that piece, you're hearing the years they've invested in playing the instrument. There is an ease that one acquires over time and familiarity with the keyboard that you just cannot substitute or truncate. There's no fast-track by just going at that piece over and over again. Again, unless you're super talented.

There are those that have done just that, and they can play their favorite piece and that's all, and even do it fairly well. It's OK to have a goal of playing certain pieces, but do you love the instrument enough to learn the basics so that you can play those pieces? Only one way to find out.

And having a good teacher is the fastest way to get there. You can do without, but it will be a bit slower going.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2213882 - 01/13/14 09:23 AM Re: Teaching Myself Piano [Re: steamy]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
Hello and welcome Steamy! If you're interested in pop music, I would get the Piano for All ebooks + videos, as pwl suggested. The Alfred's All-in-One series is also useful, as it explains basic theory concepts and introduces chords in a more structured way. There are many challenges in piano playing, but it's also easy to start playing basic progressions and songs compared to other instruments where you need to learn how to produce the sound in the first place. You could even just learn to play by ear and have fun without worrying about theory too much. I chose a different approach but every method has its merits.

#2213893 - 01/13/14 09:43 AM Re: Teaching Myself Piano [Re: steamy]
MrPozor Offline

Loc: near Paris, France
Hi steamy,

Welcome to the forums. It's possible to teach yourself piano from the ground up but I don't understand your two reasons for not getting a teacher.

Can you tell us why you don't desire a teacher? In terms of time it should rather take LESS time to learn with a teacher than without. I would rather pratice 5 hours a week plus 1 with a teacher than practice 6 hours all on my own.
The role of a teacher is not so much showing you how to play or learning the piece with you but rather listenting and watching you playing and telling you how to improve. No book or Youtube video can replace that really.

Equipment: Petrof 118 L1

#2214141 - 01/13/14 06:39 PM Re: Teaching Myself Piano [Re: steamy]
TromboneAl Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern, Northern California
I resisted getting a teacher for years, since I'm an independent introvert, and cheap to boot. It was a mistake, and I wasted a lot of time.

Here are two posts in my blog that discuss this:

Getting Help

Tips from my Teacher

An excerpt:

Here's my big tip: You will make much faster progress if you work with a teacher who is very good at teaching sight-reading. This advice is coming from someone (me) who is very independent, and usually likes to work on his own. I've been taking lessons (twice a month) with a Dr. Robin Miller for almost a year now, and I think I've progressed as much in that year than in the three prior years.

Edited by TromboneAl (01/13/14 06:41 PM)

My Book: Becoming a Great Sight-Reader -- or Not!
My Blog: The Year of Piano Sight-Reading

#2214155 - 01/13/14 07:04 PM Re: Teaching Myself Piano [Re: steamy]
LS35A Offline

Loc: Hayden, ID
By all means GET THE FUNDAMENTAL KEYS BOOK.

I'm a 'self-teaching' person. Finished the Alfred Book 1, it was pretty good.

But the Fundamental Keys books is far and away the BEST 'teach yourself the piano' method I have ever seen.

Rachel says to play each piece until it's memorized. That is VERY GOOD ADVICE. Go slow. Play the pieces over and over. Only place what you can do without errors - do not repeat errors. If all you can do is half a measure, PLAY THAT HALF A MEASURE SEVEN TIMES. When you can do it perfectly, move on.

And another thing - resist the temptation to buy other methods, other music, other books. The Fundamental Keys is all you need.

Good luck.

Edited by LS35A (01/13/14 07:05 PM)

#2214170 - 01/13/14 08:09 PM Re: Teaching Myself Piano [Re: steamy]
Charles Cohen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
Quote:
. . . I do not have desire or time to go to a teacher atm . . .

I think this is a mistake. If you want to make faster progress, and you can afford a teacher, get a teacher.

You'll want somebody who is happy to teach "pop music", rather than classical pieces. But such teachers exist.

. Charles

#2214172 - 01/13/14 08:10 PM Re: Teaching Myself Piano [Re: steamy]
Michael Martinez Online   content

Loc: California

Edited by casinitaly (01/25/14 06:17 PM)
Edit Reason: removed personal business advertising

#2214422 - 01/14/14 08:47 AM Re: Teaching Myself Piano [Re: steamy]
R_B Offline

I agree quite strongly with what Morodiene said.
Performances of a piece includes all the artistry that the performer has developed, it isn't JUST about learning which keys to bang in the right sequence.

I have struggled with this myself - had teachers, dropped teachers, changed teachers, etc.
I am at the conclusion that learning piano just isn't a sequential task.
I think it is not possible to write a book that can take anyone/everyone from page one to the back cover and have them become a concert pianist, or even a half decent pop tune player.
Despite the claim that these three cords will accompany 90%+ of popular tunes (-:
SOME method books work better for SOME people than other method books, we have different learning styles.
A teacher can certainly SAVE you a lot of wasted time and effort, although it might sometimes seem that they are forcing needless drills and practice on you.
For me it seems to be an eternal game of chutes and ladders, I make substantial gains one month and have to recover something very basic the next month.
As a pastime it certainly passes the time.

Back to twinkle twinkle.

Edited by R_B (01/14/14 08:49 AM)

#2214471 - 01/14/14 10:09 AM Re: Teaching Myself Piano [Re: steamy]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisboa, Portugal
Hi steamy and welcome to PW!
Nice to read all the comments here.

Books, teachers are important, of course, but IMO most important is your persistence and discipline. A teacher can "drive" you, a book can "speak" to you but nothing is more important than your willingness to learn. And that leads to practice. Every day is a good option.
Therefore, and as a self-taught, I advise you to you work intensely and passionately.
Have fun!

CarlosCC records
Self-learning since 12/2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."

#2214499 - 01/14/14 10:51 AM Re: Teaching Myself Piano [Re: R_B]
Michael Martinez Online   content

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: R_B
I think it is not possible to write a book that can take anyone/everyone from page one to the back cover and have them become a concert pianist, or even a half decent pop tune player.

Correct. The purpose of book learning is to learn enough harmony so that you aren't struggling during practice.

Quote:

For me it seems to be an eternal game of chutes and ladders, I make substantial gains one month and have to recover something very basic the next month.

Practice is what it's all about. You just gotta keep doing it. You gotta make musical language a part of your internal vocabulary. You must internalize it.

If you listen to pop or rock music, often each musician is doingn something very simple. What makes it work is phrasing. They aren't playing too much and they aren't playing too little.

you say you're interested in playing pop music. What you need to do is learn some basic harmony, and then go on craigslist and find some people to play with. Join a new band or form your own new band. After a couple months of practice you'll be feeling a lot better about things.

Edited by Michael Martinez (01/14/14 10:56 AM)

#2214751 - 01/14/14 06:06 PM Re: Teaching Myself Piano [Re: steamy]
R_B Offline

Not to carry the language analogy TOO far - I agree.
Every so often I find myself, shall we say making typos and using spelings that are just WRONG (-:

Edited by R_B (01/14/14 07:36 PM)

#2215125 - 01/15/14 11:16 AM Re: Teaching Myself Piano [Re: steamy]
evamar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Spanish living in UK
I'm also a self learner. And I have actually gone back to the beginning as I realised that I needed to consolidate the basics before I could take it any further. Sight reading will always be my weakest point.

But at the same time I need to see progression and not being stuck with songs that I don't enjoy playing.

I do advice you to get a good grasps at the basics of piano and music theory and work on this daily. you are the one to decide which path to take, self learning or personal teacher.

But you can also spend some time in learning the actual pieces/songs you want to play with software such as Synthesia, and with the extras you can even work on your sight reading. But this will only tell you what keys to hit for that particular song, not really understanding what you are doing.

So both things.... learning and playing.

Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted

#2215320 - 01/15/14 05:36 PM Re: Teaching Myself Piano [Re: evamar]
R_B Offline

This thread stimulated a thought about the so called "Ensemble" electronic pianos.
I was browsing at a local store today and came across the Yamaha CVP series.

Rhythm accompaniment, single finger chords, karaoke, recording and...
Built in teaching functions;
All SORTS of fun tricks, it can play one hand while you play the other, it can pause and wait for you to do your part, with individual lights over the next keys you are to play, etc.

Anyone USING something like this ?
What are your experiences ?

#2215629 - 01/16/14 09:55 AM Re: Teaching Myself Piano [Re: steamy]
Silver Keys Offline

Loc: Western N.Y.
Welcome Steamy,

Lots of good advice posted above. I would just like to add that as a beginner still in my first year, I know what it's like to have a song or two that you are just dying to play! My advice is, don't be afraid to temporarily put that song you're working on aside for a while while you build the technical ability to play it well. I've done that three times now! For instance, I started out dying to play "Come Sail Away" by Styx. It was way over my head. I put it aside and recently brought it out and am now making good progress. Also, pop songs are not necessarily "easier" songs!
Yamaha P155

#2215642 - 01/16/14 10:34 AM Re: Teaching Myself Piano [Re: R_B]
Rerun Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisiana
Originally Posted By: R_B
so called "Ensemble" electronic pianos.
I was browsing at a local store today and came across the Yamaha CVP series.

Rhythm accompaniment, single finger chords, karaoke, recording and...
Built in teaching functions;
All SORTS of fun tricks, it can play one hand while you play the other, it can pause and wait for you to do your part, with individual lights over the next keys you are to play, etc.

Anyone USING something like this ?
What are your experiences ?

I don't but my mom (she's 95) heard someone playing one at some seniors event before Thanksgiving ... she said that while the music was loud and entertaining (I reminded her she wears hearing aids grin) , she wondered what he could play without the bells and whistles.

I'd just say don't become dependent on it, figure out a way to produce your own rhythm.

"Seat of the pants piano player" DMD

#2215658 - 01/16/14 11:03 AM Re: Teaching Myself Piano [Re: steamy]
WoodenKeys Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
Hello. If you are interested I would like to add my thoughts and personal experience. I started as a self-learner last March, not quite ten months ago. I primarily used the eMedia system, which I still consider an excellent instruction tool. I finished disk one (beginner) and moved on to disk two (intermediate). In addition I added Piano for All which is a very different approach but very enjoyable and further supplanted my efforts with Alfredís books. I thought I was doing quite well and enjoyed hearing what I played.

This month I started with a teacher, mainly because I have also been trying to learn guitar on my own but making little progress. Since my teacher also does piano and voice I signed up for all three (one-half hour for each every week). In two short lessons my teacher picked up some very basic, but important problems. The first was that although I understood the value of each note (whole-note, half-note, etc., I couldnít count. I relied on my hearing a song first to know how to play it, thus I never developed the ability to count and play something totally foreign to me. Next, a simple thing like tied notesÖI didnít know that I was playing them wrong, not holding them down long enough. Itís very difficult to get some ideas across without someone watching and correcting you.

So, in summation, I think these learning methods are excellent, but now I know why so many people reiterated the value of having a real live teacher. I understand the desire to do things completely independently but I would advise, if you can, get some experienced help as soon as you are able.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
140 registered (36251, accordeur, Al LaPorte, ando, 40 invisible), 1892 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75560 Members
42 Forums
156227 Topics
2294430 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Questioning the Wisdom of Heavy Actions
by Dwscamel
07/28/14 12:52 PM
What do you think made you passionate about music/piano?
by Spuds
07/28/14 11:45 AM
Tune lab question
by RonTuner
07/28/14 11:32 AM
What IS this song? (And yes, I mean "song"!)
by TwoSnowflakes
07/28/14 09:35 AM
Kawai Cp200 repair needed
by Walks
07/28/14 08:52 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission