Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
67 registered (ando, bennevis, anamnesis, Al LaPorte, Artur Gajewski, AndyJoe, 16 invisible), 1207 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2213690 - 01/12/14 10:09 PM The Music of Heitor Villa-Lobos
Dwscamel Offline

I can't get enough of the melodic, extravagant, romantic themes from the set of Bachianas Brasileiras:

Those last two minutes absolutely kill me every time! to die for.

Villa-Lobos' piano music is also interesting; here's a piece he composed for Arthur Rubinstein. It's very Prokofiev-like in its shock factor and adventurous rhythms -- definitely a departure from the romantic sound:

(Bonus: it's apparantly difficult enough to cause Hamelin to make strange Lang Lang-like faces.)

I'd love to hear your experiences with Villa-Lobos' music, whether at the piano or elsewhere.

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2213798 - 01/13/14 03:10 AM Re: The Music of Heitor Villa-Lobos [Re: Dwscamel]
dannylux Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Connecticut
My favorite Villa-Lobos piece is Valsa da Dor (1932, Rio), played by Arnaldo Cohen:

Breathtakingly beautiful.

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get — only what you are expecting to give — which is everything. What you will receive in return varies. But it really has no connection with what you give. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn

#2214685 - 01/14/14 04:05 PM Re: The Music of Heitor Villa-Lobos [Re: dannylux]
worov Offline

Loc: Paris
One of my favourite composers. And certainly one of the original personalitites in the 20th century.

I love his piano music. You might be interested in Sonia Rubinsky's recording of the complete piano works of Villa-Lobos (Naxos). It is short of a revelation. The whole set is wonderful stuff.

Indeed, some of Villa-Lobos piano works are Prokofiev-like, I see what you mean and I agree with you.

If like this style, you may be interested in (if you don't know them yet) the suites "A prole do beb". It was written for Artur Rubinstein. (I didn't know Rudepoema was dedicated to Rubinstein. Thanks for the information).

There are two "A prole do beb" suites for piano. A prole do beb no.1 was published in 1920 and premiered by Rubinstein in 1922. A prole do beb no.2 was poublished and performed in 1927. It is very advanced and wonderful music.

I also adore his Poema Singelo (some kind of a waltz with a brazilian flavour). You can listen to it here :

I strongly recommend the cirandinhas and the cirandas. These are based on brazilian folk tunes.

The cirandas are very showy and virtuosic. However they sound more difficult than they really are.

The cirandinhas are much more easy. This is intermediate stuff. Very tuneful, very easy to play and superb musilc.

If you like the cirandinhas, you may like the Guia Pratic. It's a method Villa-Lobos wrote for children. The pieces are based on nursery rhymes. Villa-Lobos tranforms these into superlative pieces of music.

Finally, I also suggest you investigate his chamber music (don't forget Villa-Lobos was a cellist). His violin sonatas are wonderful, so are his works for cello and piano. And his set of string quartets is among the greatest of the 20th century.

My favourite performers are Nelson Freire, Cristina Ortiz, Arnaldo Cohen, Alfred Heller, Alma Petcherskya and Dbora Halsz.

#2214692 - 01/14/14 04:30 PM Re: The Music of Heitor Villa-Lobos [Re: Dwscamel]
Tim Adrianson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Dwscamel, Off the top of my head, I can't think of another major composer whose extensive contributions to solo piano music are as thoroughly neglected. The only others in the same category, at least here in America, are Medtner and Faure. I especially like the Suite Floral and the Ciclo Brasileiro, and the Prole do Bebe No 2 -- the considerably more challenging cousin to the one well-known Villa-Lobos composition, Prole do Bebe No 1 (in particular, Polichinelle). But there is so much more -- all the character pieces, the Guia Practico, the huge Roedepoema -- prolific is an understatement!

#2214694 - 01/14/14 04:34 PM Re: The Music of Heitor Villa-Lobos [Re: Tim Adrianson]
bennevis Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

....and don't forget his five piano concertos, all highly colorful and virtuosic.

What a pity they're hardly ever played. In fact, I've never heard them played in concert. But at least there's a complete recording, by Cristina Ortiz.

#2214702 - 01/14/14 04:44 PM Re: The Music of Heitor Villa-Lobos [Re: Dwscamel]
bennevis Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

I hope everyone knows this haunting music:

http://youtu.be/YIrMJ_ix0FA

#2214817 - 01/14/14 08:40 PM Re: The Music of Heitor Villa-Lobos [Re: bennevis]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rockford, IL
Back in the mid-eighties, I happened to live in WGBH land and listened to "Morning Pro Musica" almost every day. Robert J. Lurtsema went on some kind of Villa Lobos kick, and it seemed like he played it all! grin Loved it.

Last year, I was reading through some of my anthologies, and ran across this one, which I've been working on in a slow-burn kind of way, bucket-list style grin :

#2214993 - 01/15/14 07:06 AM Re: The Music of Heitor Villa-Lobos [Re: Dwscamel]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Back in 1978, DGG released a wonderful LP of Villa-Lobos piano music played by Roberto Szidon (with help from Richard Metzler on one 4-hand piece). It included a great and overwhelming performance of Rudepoema which I think is still the best I've ever heard, as well as various other delights. I pretty much wore out the grooves on that recording.

Later, in 1983, when Musical Heritage Society licensed a 2-LP recording of Szidon playing the Cirandas and the Cirandinhas from a Brazilian company, I snapped it up. And I wasn't disappointed - more wonderful music and colorful, idiomatic playing.

Also back in the LP era, I came across some Villa-Lobos wind music that I loved. It was on a Nonesuch disc that I bought for Ibert's Concertino da Camera for Saxophone, as well as the Glazounov sax concerto. But the B side, oddly enough, had nothing to do with saxophones, and was Villa-Lobos' Quintette en Forme de Choros for woodwind quintet and his Bachianas Brasilieras no. 6, for flute and bassoon. Fascinating, highly enjoyable stuff.

But there have been naysayers, of course. A famous bit of snark from Stravinsky: "Why is it that whenever I hear a piece of music I don't like, it's always by Villa Lobos?"

Edited by wr (01/15/14 07:11 AM)

#2215066 - 01/15/14 09:32 AM Re: The Music of Heitor Villa-Lobos [Re: wr]
ando Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted By: wr

But there have been naysayers, of course. A famous bit of snark from Stravinsky: "Why is it that whenever I hear a piece of music I don't like, it's always by Villa Lobos?"

That's more than a little ironic given how many times comments like that have been uttered about Stravinsky's music...

#2215130 - 01/15/14 11:20 AM Re: The Music of Heitor Villa-Lobos [Re: Dwscamel]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Of a piece Stravinsky composed in memory of Debussy, a critic once wrote, "If my memories of a friend were as painful as Stravinsky's of Debussy seem to be, I would try to forget him." grin

Polyphonist

#2215299 - 01/15/14 04:48 PM Re: The Music of Heitor Villa-Lobos [Re: Dwscamel]
Dwscamel Offline

Wow, the warm reception for Villa-Lobos' music is incredible smile.

There are many excellent suggestions in this thread -- even the Glazunov sax concerto slipped in somehow!

I would indeed rather hear Villa-Lobos than most of Stravinsky (and I'd rather hear freight trucks pass by than Debussy).

I didn't realize he wrote some concerti. I'm listening to the aria from Bachiana....no.5, and I plan on hearing Valsa da Dor, Singelo, and O Polichinelo next. There's lots to explore!

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Just to say "Hello"
by JennyS
11/27/14 05:33 AM
Dyslexia and reading the rhythm
by Nahum
11/27/14 04:18 AM
Wanted to give jazz a chance, reverting back to classical
by Artur Gajewski
11/27/14 03:31 AM
anyone... listening to Greek Radio?
by Nikolas
11/27/14 12:38 AM
Weber piano sonatas: a "hidden" treasure
by jeffreyjones
11/27/14 12:32 AM
Forum Stats
77065 Members
42 Forums
159390 Topics
2341382 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission