Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2213387 - 01/12/14 01:18 PM Anyone here ever stop raising the bar for a minute?
ChopinLives81 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Seems ever since I started playing the piano I've always looked towards learning the next harder or more intricate piece. I learn one, then find a harder one etc... Recently I've been asking myself "why haven't I stopped and learned the countless other pieces that should be easy by now?"

I'm learning etudes, ballades and large works by Liszt and Chopin, but I wonder why I haven't stopped to learn a majority of say Chopin's preludes or waltzes or Bach's Inventions and Sinfonias etc... Many of the pieces in these sets and similar sets should be well within my grasp, yet I don't bother to tackle them unless I get motivate to learn one randomly.

Anyone else have this thought or curious question? I would think by now there should be no reason why I shouldn't have more of these pieces under my belt.

Check my videos @:
http://www.youtube.com/user/chopinlives81

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2213393 - 01/12/14 01:27 PM Re: Anyone here ever stop raising the bar for a minute? [Re: ChopinLives81]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
Originally Posted By: ChopinLives81
Anyone else have this thought or curious question? I would think by now there should be no reason why I shouldn't have more of these pieces under my belt.
Keep in mind that so-called "easy" music can be difficult to play if you want to play it well. OTOH I recently learned two easy pieces to play with my piano group because my Beethoven and Chopin are far from ready to perform. I learned Schumann's "Chopin" from Carnaval and Alkan's Barcarolle. Both are quite lovely and well "below the bar". I often sight read music that is easy just for the pleasure of hearing something new.

Deborah

#2213397 - 01/12/14 01:29 PM Re: Anyone here ever stop raising the bar for a minute? [Re: ChopinLives81]
beet31425 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bay Area, CA
I never stop "raising the bar" in the sense of trying to get better every year. That means getting better at things like phrasing, expression, and timing, not just hitting the notes of intricate pieces.

Recently my teacher suggested Chopin's 2nd Ballade; she told me she thought I was finally ready for... the opening section (!).

-J

#2213399 - 01/12/14 01:45 PM Re: Anyone here ever stop raising the bar for a minute? [Re: ChopinLives81]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

I never choose pieces with the goal of challenging myself with harder music. There is so much great music within my present level(nowhere near that needed to get into a conservatory)that I just choose pieces I love. As others have pointed out, this doesn't mean I don't continually try to improve.

Edited by pianoloverus (01/12/14 02:30 PM)

#2213400 - 01/12/14 01:47 PM Re: Anyone here ever stop raising the bar for a minute? [Re: ChopinLives81]
pianoloverus Online   content

Seems ever since I started playing the piano I've always looked towards learning the next harder or more intricate piece. I learn one, then find a harder one etc... Recently I've been asking myself "why haven't I stopped and learned the countless other pieces that should be easy by now?"

Actually, I think based on your first paragraph, one would assume that you wouldn't have more of those easier pieces learned.

#2213401 - 01/12/14 01:50 PM Re: Anyone here ever stop raising the bar for a minute? [Re: gooddog]
ChopinLives81 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: gooddog
Keep in mind that so-called "easy" music can be difficult to play if you want to play it well.

Well yes I haven't forgotten that, but when I say easy I mean a piece where no one would say "no, stay away from that piece that's beyond your level". There are plenty of pieces that are far below your current skill level that really don't need to be given a 2nd thought as to whether or not it's possible for you to play.

Check my videos @:

#2213407 - 01/12/14 01:58 PM Re: Anyone here ever stop raising the bar for a minute? [Re: beet31425]
Mark_C Offline

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: beet31425
...Recently my teacher suggested Chopin's 2nd Ballade; she told me she thought I was finally ready for... the opening section (!).

You mean the easy part?? That makes no sense at all!!

(Just kidding.) grin

BTW, in competitions, when people play that piece, I'd guess most of them cook their goose before they're out of that opening section.

I never stop raising the bar either, and it's as Beet314 said: It's not that I go for more and more difficult pieces (not necessarily), but trying to do better and better than I've done before.

....when I say easy I mean a piece where no one would say "no, stay away from that piece that's beyond your level". There are plenty of pieces that are far below your current skill level that really don't need to be given a 2nd thought as to whether or not it's possible for you to play.

It was clear what you meant. We're just looking at it how we look at it.

#2213419 - 01/12/14 02:19 PM Re: Anyone here ever stop raising the bar for a minute? [Re: ChopinLives81]
Arghhh Offline
1000 Post Club Member

It's hard for me to stop raising the bar because of my attitude towards my playing. I view my playing as "not good enough yet", and if I get assigned an "easy" piece, I wonder if it's because my teacher thinks I can't handle something harder.

Even when I'm accompanying and have the option of simplifying something, I still struggle to play it as written because I think I will learn from it and it will make me a better pianist.

#2213434 - 01/12/14 02:49 PM Re: Anyone here ever stop raising the bar for a minute? [Re: ChopinLives81]
bennevis Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Maybe it's because I enjoy challenges, whether of the physical (climbing, running, open-water swimming etc) or mental kind, but I rarely set out to learn easier pieces than what I'm currently playing. They're almost always at least the same level of difficulty (usually harder), and usually has something that's challenging to my current level of technique. Though the difficulty needn't be wholly technical - sometimes, it's just a piece that I find awkward but which others might not necessarily do. But whatever I set out to learn, it must appeal to me at some level - usually on both the musical (nice tunes and/or interesting harmonies) and technical (enjoyable to play as well as difficult): I never learn something simply for the sake of its technical difficulty. The same reason I've never played studies/études of no musical merit.

It follows that my memorized repertoire tends to be somewhat skewed towards fast music. I tend to just sight-read easier pieces for relaxation, but rarely go on to learn them properly. Such is the prerogative of an amateur who hasn't got a teacher and therefore learns and plays exactly what he wants....... grin

#2213439 - 01/12/14 02:56 PM Re: Anyone here ever stop raising the bar for a minute? [Re: pianoloverus]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rockford, IL
Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
I never choose pieces with the goal of challenging myself with harder music. There is so much great music within my present level(nowhere near that needed to get into a conservatory)that I just choose pieces I love. As others have pointed out, this doesn't mean I don't continually try to improve.

+1. I am actually a little overwhelmed with all of the music that I love that I *can* play, and other stuff that I either want to learn, have read through, and/or am working on, that I feel I can leave the virtuoso repertoire to the virtuosos. That said, I sometimes hear a piece that I am compelled to learn, and never consider that it might be beyond my level. As said in another thread, there are some things that you just want to hear come from your own hands. So, I dive into it and take the long view, put it aside when I hit a wall or a plateau, work on something else for a while, get it back out later, and find I've made progress to allow me to proceed with the piece that was giving me a hassle.

It's the love for the piece and being compelled to play it that determines what I work on. Whether it is "easy" or "hard" has nothing to do with it.

--Andy

Edited by Cinnamonbear (01/12/14 02:58 PM)

#2213440 - 01/12/14 02:56 PM Re: Anyone here ever stop raising the bar for a minute? [Re: ChopinLives81]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
I'll usually play one piece that "raises the bar" each year, but the vast majority of what I play lies well within my capabilities. Lots of repeat repertoire and easier fare makes up the bulk of what I do.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#2213448 - 01/12/14 03:10 PM Re: Anyone here ever stop raising the bar for a minute? [Re: Cinnamonbear]
ChopinLives81 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Cinnamonbear
As said in another thread, there are some things that you just want to hear come from your own hands.

The funny thing is that it was me that said that on the thread "pinpointing what got us hooked"...lol

Check my videos @:

#2213454 - 01/12/14 03:21 PM Re: Anyone here ever stop raising the bar for a minute? [Re: ChopinLives81]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rockford, IL
Originally Posted By: Cinnamonbear
As said in another thread, there are some things that you just want to hear come from your own hands.

The funny thing is that it was me that said that on the thread "pinpointing what got us hooked"...lol

LOL! I *thought* so!!!... Good one, CL! grin

Edited by Cinnamonbear (01/12/14 03:43 PM)

#2213460 - 01/12/14 03:33 PM Re: Anyone here ever stop raising the bar for a minute? [Re: ChopinLives81]
DanS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Yes I have. There's a lot to learn from setting the bar high, but there's also a lot to learn from playing pieces can be learn in a relatively short period of time. I spend the second half of last year working on easier pieces, and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

#2213477 - 01/12/14 03:50 PM Re: Anyone here ever stop raising the bar for a minute? [Re: ChopinLives81]
frenchflip Offline

Loc: New York, NY
I usually have a blend of two or three each-- stretch pieces, pieces at my level, and easier pieces. E.g., a Henle 8/9 sonata or ballade, 6/7 nocturne or waltz, and an easier prelude, maybe even a mazurka. It's just nice to be able to play something through for gratification.

#2213634 - 01/12/14 08:49 PM Re: Anyone here ever stop raising the bar for a minute? [Re: ChopinLives81]
hreichgott Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: western MA, USA
I regularly learn pieces that are easy for me, either because it's my job (most choral and ballet music) or because I find something I like and want to learn it.

Eventually we all get to the point where it's not about just reaching the next level of difficulty anymore -- difficulty becomes more a measure of time (how long will it take me to learn this) rather than a measure of our status/level of advancement.

I happen to think it's good for everyone to learn short-term and long-term pieces, short-term being more about one's ability to absorb material quickly, an important skill even though the material may be easier.

BTW have you ever actually played through Chopin Op. 28? You might be surprised. There are a couple easy ones but most aren't.

Edited by hreichgott (01/12/14 08:53 PM)
Loving Fauré/Barcarolles and Ravel/Tombeau de Couperin
Always a fan of Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven and new music

#2213658 - 01/12/14 09:23 PM Re: Anyone here ever stop raising the bar for a minute? [Re: beet31425]
Polyphonist Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: beet31425
I never stop "raising the bar" in the sense of trying to get better every year. That means getting better at things like phrasing, expression, and timing, not just hitting the notes of intricate pieces.

Recently my teacher suggested Chopin's 2nd Ballade; she told me she thought I was finally ready for... the opening section (!).

If you're ready for the third movement of Beethoven's 109, you're ready for the Chopin.

Polyphonist

#2213659 - 01/12/14 09:24 PM Re: Anyone here ever stop raising the bar for a minute? [Re: hreichgott]
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: hreichgott
BTW have you ever actually played through Chopin Op. 28? You might be surprised. There are a couple easy ones but most aren't.

There are no easy ones. whome Chopin says more in 45 seconds than some composers do in an entire 30-minute piece. wink

Polyphonist

#2213702 - 01/12/14 10:40 PM Re: Anyone here ever stop raising the bar for a minute? [Re: hreichgott]
Mark_C Offline

....BTW have you ever actually played through Chopin Op. 28? You might be surprised. There are a couple easy ones but most aren't.

Yes. I missed the 'in passing' thing he said about the Preludes. (BTW he only said "most" of them are probably within his grasp, and they probably are. But still.) smile
It's easy to assume (because of the title) that these are relatively easy Chopin pieces. But several of them are among Chopin's very most difficult works.

And what a great set. A while back, I think there was something like a "desert island" thread -- i.e. what piece would you take if you could only take one. Chopin's Opus 28 is mine.

#2213704 - 01/12/14 10:43 PM Re: Anyone here ever stop raising the bar for a minute? [Re: Mark_C]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Mark_C
....BTW have you ever actually played through Chopin Op. 28? You might be surprised. There are a couple easy ones but most aren't.

Yes. I missed the 'in passing' thing he said about the Preludes. (BTW he only said "most" of them are probably within his grasp, and they probably are. But still.) smile
You may have even understated their difficulty. As a group, they're among Chopin's very most difficult works.

A while back, I think there was something like a "desert island" thread -- i.e. what piece would you take if you could only take one. Chopin's Opus 28 is mine.

Mark, I think that's sort of cheating. grin

#2213707 - 01/12/14 10:46 PM Re: Anyone here ever stop raising the bar for a minute? [Re: JoelW]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: JoelW
....I think that's sort of cheating. grin

You were allowed to take sets. grin

#2213710 - 01/12/14 10:52 PM Re: Anyone here ever stop raising the bar for a minute? [Re: Mark_C]
7000 Post Club Member

It's easy to assume (because of the title) that these are relatively easy Chopin pieces. But several of them are among Chopin's very most difficult works.

Tell me about it. G# minor, B flat minor, E flat major, D minor...frightening difficulties.

Polyphonist

#2213711 - 01/12/14 10:52 PM Re: Anyone here ever stop raising the bar for a minute? [Re: Mark_C]
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: JoelW
....I think that's sort of cheating. grin

You were allowed to take sets. grin

If you were only allowed the music of one composer, would it be Chopin?

Polyphonist

#2213714 - 01/12/14 10:56 PM Re: Anyone here ever stop raising the bar for a minute? [Re: Polyphonist]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: Polyphonist

Tell me about it. G# minor, B flat minor, E flat major, D minor...frightening difficulties.

....G major!....

No contest whatsoever. smile

BTW, for the "1 piece" or "1 set" question, I could just as happily take the Well Tempered Clavier. Which I'm sure would seem like a saner choice to most people. ha

#2213719 - 01/12/14 11:01 PM Re: Anyone here ever stop raising the bar for a minute? [Re: ChopinLives81]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
Well, as Horowitz said (and we all know that quote) "Perfection itself is imperfection".

Music is my best friend.

#2213721 - 01/12/14 11:03 PM Re: Anyone here ever stop raising the bar for a minute? [Re: Mark_C]
7000 Post Club Member

....G major!....

No contest whatsoever. smile

BTW, for the "1 piece" or "1 set" question, I could just as happily take the Well Tempered Clavier. Which I'm sure would seem like a saner choice to most people. ha

But you would take Chopin's oeuvre over Bach or Beethoven? wink

Polyphonist

#2213727 - 01/12/14 11:10 PM Re: Anyone here ever stop raising the bar for a minute? [Re: ChopinLives81]
A Guy Offline

Loc: St Louis
Would the set of 32 sonatas of beethoven count? XD
Haydn Hob XVI 50 movement 1
Chopin Ballade 3
Liszt Hungarian rhapsody 8
York Bowen toccata

www.youtube.com/channel/UCKqmkVdn_41vKvDG-ELy0bg

#2213728 - 01/12/14 11:15 PM Re: Anyone here ever stop raising the bar for a minute? [Re: ChopinLives81]
pianorigami Offline

Loc: United States
I could be happy with a set of Chopin Etudes...
Or Preludes.
Or Ballades.
3) Prokofiev Sonata Op. 83
4) Bach Prelude and Fugue in f# minor, WTC II
5) Grieg Concerto, Op. 16
6) Schubert Impromptu Op. 90 no. 3
7) Debussy Images, Book I

#2213730 - 01/12/14 11:17 PM Re: Anyone here ever stop raising the bar for a minute? [Re: ChopinLives81]
7000 Post Club Member

I think I'd have to take the Ballades over the Preludes, but the 32 Beethoven sonatas would be my #1 choice. laugh

Polyphonist

#2213741 - 01/12/14 11:33 PM Re: Anyone here ever stop raising the bar for a minute? [Re: ChopinLives81]
pianorigami Offline

Loc: United States
Yes, I suppose. Op. 52 alone satisfies almost every single emotion.
3) Prokofiev Sonata Op. 83
4) Bach Prelude and Fugue in f# minor, WTC II
5) Grieg Concerto, Op. 16
6) Schubert Impromptu Op. 90 no. 3
7) Debussy Images, Book I

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Forster vs August Forster
by eazydyonizy
Today at 03:43 AM
Grigory Sokolov releases album
by wimpiano
Today at 03:11 AM
Lindblad Steinway rebuilt pianos
by brahms
Today at 02:54 AM
Got the VPC1! Hooked up the Ivory! Played Brahms.
by TwoSnowflakes
Today at 02:13 AM
Pianos of Downton Abbey
by Almaviva
Yesterday at 11:58 PM
Who's Online
91 registered (36251, barbaram, anotherscott, Al LaPorte, arX, 30 invisible), 1331 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76620 Members
42 Forums
158437 Topics
2326706 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission