Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2213571 - 01/12/14 06:28 PM Mac Wireless CoreMidi Latency Issue
dbbarron Offline

I have started to use Galileo Organ on my iPad and would like to drive it with a USB Host connected Midi keyboard on my iMac.

(I have successfully attached the Keyboard directly to the iPad (through a hub for power) and it works great).

I am doing this as I would like to use Ivory on my Mac and have the option of Galileo (organ app) and/or Magellan (synth app) using the iPad as a software synth platform in addition to the iMac.

I setup a network midi connection using Audi Midi Setup and then Midi Network Setup creating a session between the iMac and the Ipad and specifically routing the USB keyboard (testing with a M-Audio Keystation). The iPad responds to keypresses on the Keystation, but there is definitely a small delay or latency between keypress and sounds on the ipad. Perhaps 50-200ms by ear; it varies a bit.

The issue is the same with both the Magellan app, the Galileo app and even GarageBand app. The iPad is a brand new Air, I have tried a few imacs from old to new all with the same result.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Regards
db

Edited by dbbarron (01/12/14 06:28 PM)

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#2213599 - 01/12/14 07:37 PM Re: Mac Wireless CoreMidi Latency Issue [Re: dbbarron]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I don't understand all the ins and outs of your setup, but I will say that latency on the iPad is generally acceptable, but not the best; if you are routing to the Mac on the way to the iPad, you are adding cumulative latency; and if you are making any of your MIDI connections wirelessly, you are adding another source of latency.

For organ, maybe you could run VB3 and Ivory on your iMac simultaneously?

Another possibility, assuming you want two controllers regardless, would be to wire your weighted action to your Mac for Ivory, and your un/semi-weighted action directly to the iPad for organ/synth.

#2213688 - 01/12/14 10:06 PM Re: Mac Wireless CoreMidi Latency Issue [Re: dbbarron]
dbbarron Offline

I found some websites discussing this and they blamed router delay within the local wifi network.
In order to remedy this, I setup an ad-hoc network connection between the imac and the iPad and the delays disappeared.

Problem solved!

db

#2213785 - 01/13/14 02:33 AM Re: Mac Wireless CoreMidi Latency Issue [Re: dbbarron]
Cmin Offline

Loc: Swabia
@dbbarron: Are you using a Roland keyboard with the wireless lan adapter? If so, could you clarify exactly your set up? I didn't quite understand your OP.
Are you going wireless to the iPad ad-hoc, then from the iPad to the Mac??? How did you do it?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FP-80, HP 3000s, synths, guitars, mics, MBP, interfaces, Voicelive 2, ableton, Pianoteq, nubert A-200

#2213861 - 01/13/14 08:22 AM Re: Mac Wireless CoreMidi Latency Issue [Re: Cmin]
dbbarron Offline

Originally Posted By: Cmin
@dbbarron: Are you using a Roland keyboard with the wireless lan adapter? If so, could you clarify exactly your set up? I didn't quite understand your OP.
Are you going wireless to the iPad ad-hoc, then from the iPad to the Mac??? How did you do it?

M-Audio Keystation 49 attached to iMac through USB
iMac running Ivory II for piano sounds
iPad running Galileo or Magellan app for Organ and Synth.

iMac attached to internet through hardwired Enet
iMac also has an AdHoc wireless network setup solely for connection to the iPad to avoid latency caused by using the house wifi
iPad joined the AdHoc network - this works for Midi, but does not provide internet access to the iPad - a problem I have not yet solved, but does not effect the music apps.

Using Audio Midi Setup on the iMac, I established a connection (Session) between the iMac and Keystation to the iPad. One must be actively running a CoreMIDI supporting app on the iPad to be able to setup this session, e.g., Galileo.

Hope that helps.

db

#2214168 - 01/13/14 07:59 PM Re: Mac Wireless CoreMidi Latency Issue [Re: dbbarron]
Cmin Offline

Loc: Swabia
Ahhh.... ok
Nice set up.
Have you tried plugging the iPad to the iMac using an adapter? This one might solve the latency issue. This way you won't have to go wireless smile
There are apps like Audio Bus that let you connect easily.
Hope this helps.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FP-80, HP 3000s, synths, guitars, mics, MBP, interfaces, Voicelive 2, ableton, Pianoteq, nubert A-200

#2214411 - 01/14/14 08:24 AM Re: Mac Wireless CoreMidi Latency Issue [Re: dbbarron]
dbbarron Offline

Don't think that works - CoreMIDI does not see to talk over a USB connection to an iOS device, but I have not tested fully. If it would work, I suspect the normal USB sync/charge cable would be the working one - the camera kit would result in two 'host' USB devices trying to connect to each other which would not work (iPad and Mac).

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
146 registered (A Guy, Akshay, AZ_Astro, ando, 36251, 44 invisible), 1674 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74248 Members
42 Forums
153577 Topics
2250796 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Midi controller with a good keybed under 1000$
by Ov3rload
04/19/14 11:55 AM
Bösendorfer vs Steingraeber
by Keith D Kerman
04/19/14 11:51 AM
Keyboard stand
by david_ka
04/19/14 09:42 AM
Tuning stability problems...
by Grotriman
04/19/14 09:20 AM
What does this sign mean
by ryderb
04/19/14 08:46 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission