Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2213747 - 01/12/14 11:49 PM Rachmaninoff's playing
Bech Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Indiana
I am presently reading a biography of Rachmaninoff and have come to the part where they mention his large hands and that he played with great definition and clarity.

I have heard very little of his playing but now, after reading this article about him, I plan to spend more time listening to his recordings.

How would some of you characterize his playing? Was he much better than most people think?

Too: Could some of you suggest to me some of his better quality recordings?

Bech

Edited by Bech (01/12/14 11:51 PM)

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2213763 - 01/13/14 12:33 AM Re: Rachmaninoff's playing [Re: Bech]
MarkH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, WA
Some of the best:

#2213786 - 01/13/14 02:49 AM Re: Rachmaninoff's playing [Re: Bech]
phantomFive Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
IMO he was a top pianist in the same class (and style!) as Horowitz.

#2213788 - 01/13/14 02:52 AM Re: Rachmaninoff's playing [Re: Bech]
phantomFive Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Incidentally, what was considered the ideal hand for piano has changed over time. Josef Lhévinne lamented that he didn't have nice, fat fingers (like Rubenstein). When Prokofiev was young, his teacher said his fingers were too long to play well.

The hand matters less than the mind that wields it.

#2213792 - 01/13/14 03:01 AM Re: Rachmaninoff's playing [Re: Bech]
square-39 Offline

Rachmaninoff made a recording of Chopin's op. 9, no. 2 nocturne, that is the best I have ever heard. With all of his skill, he was able to play this (some would say) simple piece with masterful taste and restraint.

#2213871 - 01/13/14 08:50 AM Re: Rachmaninoff's playing [Re: Bech]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Several years ago a British music magazine asked 100 of the world's leading pianists to list their three greatest pianists of all time. When the results were tallied Rachmaninov was number one.

#2213928 - 01/13/14 10:42 AM Re: Rachmaninoff's playing [Re: pianoloverus]
Chopinlover49 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NY and NC
I remember about eight or ten years ago that Classical Music magazine (think that's the correct name, not sure) did a story rating the greatest pianists of the recorded era and they chose Richter first, Rubinstein second, Horowitz third, I think. Rachmaninoff was further down the list. I have heard every recording he made that is on cd and I feel he is a very good pianist, but like many of the "golden" era, he was not always as true to the composer as some of the more modern pianists. In terms of virtuosity, he did not show off and seemed to have the chops, but at one point he quit playing his own third concerto because he said Horowitz's performances were so much better. (Age may also have been a factor.) With a lot of other performers of his era, recording techniques were not great and his live performances may have been much better than the recorded ones. Who knows? How did Liszt sound? No one today will ever know. As to his large hands, I think he has made our work hard for us in his compositions because of those huge hands. I think they are an advantage, but not the only advantage. He was a world-class artist, even if maybe not the very top one of his era. (Just my opinion based on recordings I have heard.) Great, great composer, however. Too bad he had to turn away from composition more and more to make a living as a pianist.

#2213970 - 01/13/14 12:35 PM Re: Rachmaninoff's playing [Re: Chopinlover49]
MarkH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By: Chopinlover49
...but like many of the "golden" era, he was not always as true to the composer as some of the more modern pianists.

Part of the joy of listening to great performers from a different era is to recognize how performance practices change. To imply that not being "true to the composer" makes Rachmaninoff less great is to miss the point, IMO. Along with a less rigid adherence to the score, players from his era inserted much more creativity and individuality into their playing. And, based on written accounts we have of great composers playing (eg. Beethoven), their playing was described similarly. Perhaps our current fascination with playing exactly what the score decrees and nothing more isn't necessarily the ideal approach?

#2213977 - 01/13/14 12:52 PM Re: Rachmaninoff's playing [Re: Bech]

My impression is that, for his time, Rachmaninov was far more modern(in the sense of following the score) than many pianists of his day. Also, less extreme in his interpretive choices than some other pianists like Paderewski, Hoffman, de Pachman(who was admittedly 20 years older).

Edited by pianoloverus (01/13/14 12:58 PM)

#2213987 - 01/13/14 01:18 PM Re: Rachmaninoff's playing [Re: Bech]
Hakki Offline
2000 Post Club Member

http://www.youtube.com/user/hakkithepianist

#2214072 - 01/13/14 04:46 PM Re: Rachmaninoff's playing [Re: MarkH]
ScriabinAddict Offline

Originally Posted By: MarkH
Perhaps our current fascination with playing exactly what the score decrees and nothing more isn't necessarily the ideal approach?
+1000000

#2214087 - 01/13/14 05:13 PM Re: Rachmaninoff's playing [Re: ScriabinAddict]

Originally Posted By: ScriabinAddict
Originally Posted By: MarkH
Perhaps our current fascination with playing exactly what the score decrees and nothing more isn't necessarily the ideal approach?
+1000000
Or maybe playing what's in the score still allows for a huge variety of different interpretations. After all, I think most of the great pianists in the last 50+ years played mostly(enough so all but the super literalists wouldn't complain) what's in the score.

An example from just the opening measures of Beethoven's PC 4:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZGiGMCiB3k

Edited by pianoloverus (01/13/14 05:16 PM)

#2214553 - 01/14/14 12:10 PM Re: Rachmaninoff's playing [Re: Bech]
doctor S Offline

Loc: Western PA
Random thoughts: Rachmaninoff extolled Anton Rubinstein (who sometimes played inaccurately): yet Rachmaninoff's (unedited) recordings seem as perfect as the most modern (mostly edited). Rubinstein's inaccuracy was attributed to his large hands and broad fingers (my father had the same problem...his fingers literally stuck between the keys!) Rach asked Rubinstein the secret of his great tone; the reply was "Press until your fingers bleed". Some rankings place Rach as #1 (as do I). One source said he could span up to a 14th! Amazing that he could achieve such speed, delicacy, and accuracy, with such large hands. But his musicality, the line, the "vox humana", was so superior that I prefer his playing even on the sonically-awful 20's acoustic recordings. The 2 "Window in Time" re-engineered piano roll recordings are also quite good (with the advantage of perfect piano sound). The newest "re-engineered" reproducing piano recordings with the original acoustic recordings as source, are not quite as convincing (but still better than the original unimproved Ampico reproducing piano recordings). Rachmaninoff's touch was unequalled, in my opinion, and only "hearable" on direct audio recordings. But his rhythm, tonal emphasis, and overall sweep, are still evident in the best reproducing piano recordings (even a part of the best is still very good!)

#2228964 - 02/10/14 12:01 PM Re: Rachmaninoff's playing [Re: Bech]
doctor S Offline

Loc: Western PA
More reminscenses: I believe it was Abram Chasins, who was visiting Rachmaninoff's home (perhaps the apartment in the Garden of Allah in Hollywood, CA?), and as he approached, still outside, he could not recognize the music being practiced. I turned out to be something he knew well, but it was so agonizingly slow, that the clever Chasins was baffled. Rachmaninoff could have ripped off any new tune at lightning speed, by sight or by ear, well enough and fast enough to dazzle anyone but God. Something he already knew, likely for 50 years, he rewelded into his brain and fingers because that is the level of perfection he wanted: the technique of Lhevinne and Hoffman, with the hands of Michael Jordan. A movie-star neighbor complained about the noise once, and I don't think because the star was selfish or a musical ignoramus. REAL practicing is no fun to listen to, no matter who is doing it.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
153 registered (AaronM, 7notemode, A Guy, 36251, accordeur, 50 invisible), 1435 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76031 Members
42 Forums
157206 Topics
2308888 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Schubert Impromptu Op. 90 No. 4 in Ab - technique question
by Pistos
17 minutes 15 seconds ago
Baldwin Upright
by MaxR
Today at 09:29 AM
Upgrading a Yamaha Silent Series piano
by pianelmo
Today at 07:14 AM
Stuck in method books.
by Chris H.
Today at 06:45 AM
Repeated note legato
by noobpianist90
Today at 02:16 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission